Newb from Montreal - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb from Montreal

I called those guys at action 500 and he told since jan 1 there is no more bike event due to limitation from there insurance ...... Too bad

Great info shampoo , that smc in Ottawa look interesting

Advertisement

Default 701 coming to Canada ?

The Husky 701 might be coming to Canada !!

http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/01/1...arna-update-2/

J

Thumbs up

That would be AWESOME !!!
    '15 Silver FZ09 (current)
    '09 690 SMC / '10 WR250X / '96 CR250 / '88 RM80 (sold)
    Riding Game: 3

Now you got me thinking a bit

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fwd25 View Post
    Scary isn't it...

Fun fact of the day, this is post #1111 for me.

That's the first time anyone's ever said that to me. ;-) LOL!

But ya, it's got me thinking too.

Going with the Husky means off roading is probably out.
    On the other hand, I would bet this Husky will be in stores for 1 year, maybe 2 and then that's it. That's my guess. Now it's based on the LC4 engine, so getting parts for the engine shouldn't be hard. But not sure what that means for the rest of the bike. Maybe it's mostly off the shelf stuff, so finding parts won't be an issue. Dunno.

It will also largely depend on price.. If it comes out at or below what the 690 Enduro costs without the conversion costs, then they might have a winner.

Good timing for me, as I don't plan on buying anything until the end of the summer anyhow.. Maybe they'll bring it to the bike show.. That would be super cool.

Everyone staying warm ?

J

Lightbulb

Just to throw another idea into your heads, KTM is supposedly working on a twin cylinder engine in the 500 - 800 cc range. Or so I've read...

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    Just to throw another idea into your heads, KTM is supposedly working on a twin cylinder engine in the 500 - 800 cc range. Or so I've read...

Yes, a road bike I believe.. But I think I read nothing before 2017..

I like the Duke. I think it's a good looking city bike. Cheaper then all the other options too. But as you say Evol, you won't be off roading with it. But I might be able to live with that.. I'd like to test drive one for sure. I don't think I've ever seen one in town. I wonder why they don't sell..

J

Lightbulb

Start by sitting on one at the moto show next month.
    I'd like to rent one, if possible, for a weekend this Summer.

Start by sitting on one at the moto show next month.
    That's the plan !

Looking around the web, the Duke appeares/ed to have/had a oil consumption problem. Not sure if that's the still the case.

The 500 EXC is still my bike of choice.. ;-) I hope they will have them at the show.

KTM's booth looks pretty small. Yamaha's booth is huge this year.

Lightbulb

The 500 EXC was there last year in dirt trim and the year before in SM trim. I'd be surprised if it wasn't there this year. Although, if it's not, I would guess it'll be there as the Husqvarna FE 501 S...

KTM's booth is small, but it has the fun machines...Yamaha, etc have huge booths, but most of them are filled with cruisers and crotch rockets.

What up fellow MTL riders. I have on word for all of you. HUSABERG. Go find a used fs570 and all your problems will go away. LOL

As for the indoor supermoto, I used to do it at action500 in Montreal on Hochelaga st. on Tuesday nights. it was 40$ from i think 4pm t'ill 11pm. we would have to stop if people would show up to go go-karting . I wonder if they would still let you do it there.

Evol, give me a shout when you're going to the bike show.

Thumbs up

You got it buddy!! Think you'll join us this year?

Ya I'm down to go.

I called action 500 and since January 1st they don t allow it anymore .... Insurance company won t let them

I like the off road option so I am commit to the 690

I called action 500 and since January 1st they don t allow it anymore .... Insurance company won t let them

I like the off road option so I am commit to the 690
    They don't allow conversions of the KTM 500 to supermoto ? I'm not sure I followed your post. I am sure you could just order the parts on the side yourself and do it yourself.. They just don't want to be responsible for any accidents caused by the conversion.. Or have I totally misunderstood what you said ?

I will call a few dealers here locally and see what the say..

Thanks for the info !

J

Arrow

He was referring to Action 500 (the kart track) not allowing supermotos on the track.

He was referring to Action 500 (the kart track) not allowing supermotos on the track.
    Whoa, now I feel like an idiot. Thanks Evol for clearing that up. fwd25 for the misunderstanding! My bad.

J

It ok my reply was confusing must be my medication lol

As for the sm conversion ,my dealer has no problem installing the parts but I will probably do the most of it , will see , the bike should be arrived in a few weeks they told me ............just in time for my BD end of Feb

It ok my reply was confusing must be my medication lol

As for the sm conversion ,my dealer has no problem installing the parts but I will probably do the most of it , will see , the bike should be arrived in a few weeks they told me ............just in time for my BD end of Feb

Ah no fwd25, that's entirely my bad. Evol understood what you were saying, I am the one completely out to lunch. I am having girlfriend problems.. So lack of sleep.

Really excited to hear how it goes with your new bike and see photos !!

All the best everyone. Wish me luck with my woman problems...

Cool

GOOD LUCK !!!!

P.S. Speaking as a married man, the correct answer is "Yes Dear"
    Last edited by Evol; 01-23-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks dude! ;-)

Hopefully it'll turn out OK.. I will employ your advice and see what happens..

J

Lightbulb

Shampoo, I don't know why I thought of it, but as per your licence renewal we talked about on page 1 (), your permit says it expires in 2016. That is when it is valid until, but you still need to pay for your "yearly renewal" just like on your Class5 driver's licence. That is what I was talking about. Don't let that expire. Know what I mean?

Shampoo, I don't know why I thought of it, but as per your licence renewal we talked about on page 1 (), your permit says it expires in 2016. That is when it is valid until, but you still need to pay for your "yearly renewal" just like on your Class5 driver's licence. That is what I was talking about. Don't let that expire. Know what I mean?
    Ok, now you have me worried.. My learner's says "Expire le 2016-01-18". So I should be good for another year no ?

J

Arrow

I'd double check. Just call the SAAQ or stop by one and pay the renewal if needed.

I'd double check. Just call the SAAQ or stop by one and pay the renewal if needed.

I'll call Monday. Thanks Evol for the heads up !

J

Arrow

Not trying to worry you, just trying help.
    As I had said on page 1, I had to renew my permit for 1 month only, and I had to do it before I was allowed to schedule my final exam.
    The expiry date is when you need to get a new permit (the card itself), but we still have to renew it every year.

Not trying to worry you, just trying help.
    As I had said on page 1, I had to renew my permit for 1 month only, and I had to do it before I was allowed to schedule my final exam.
    The expiry date is when you need to get a new permit (the card itself), but we still have to renew it every year.
    Ah! That makes sense. Ok, I'll give 'em a ring Monday.

J

I just got off the phone with the SAAQ. The woman was actually pleasant to speak to. ;-)

She says it's valid until the expiry date and I have nothing else to pay until then.. But Evol, you aren't the first person to tell me I had to renew.. I read on M4E someone saying they had to do the same thing.

Anyhow, she also said I could make my appointment for my exam in April! Which is really cool. I'm already nervous for that test. ;-)

J

Lightbulb

...... Oh well, lucky you.

As for the test, 2 things.
    They are there to make sure you know how to ride. They are not there to fail you. They want you to pass, it gives the SAAQ more money when you get your permit, which you have to pay for.
    The circuit exam is harder than the road exam (tighter lines & timed). The road exam is just normal driving on the road. Follow the rules and you'll pass. Besides, think of it this way, you get to ride for about 20-30 mins.

I got there and had to wait for my turn to ride...I wasn't sure IF I'd get to do the exam because of heavy rain. (They cancel the circuit exam for rain because of the sensors. The road exam only gets canceled if it's snowing....You should be fine in July. ) And then a couple other riders who went before me came back and didn't pass which made me nervous. Turns out they didn't know how to ride.... I talked with the guys and they did stupid things (1 didn't use turn signals at all, the other stalled and was speeding in the parking lot - something like that...)

When it was my turn, I talked with the examiner and he was cool. He went over what we were going to do and what to do if I couldn't hear him, etc...I did my ride and got back, we talked on the way back to the waiting room, he said something like "congratulations, enjoy your bike" at which point I had a huge grin on my face.

Short story: If you already drive a car and know the rules of the road, and are comfortable on a moto, YOU'LL BE FINE !!!!

Thanks Evol !

I think even if the guy doing my test called me and told me he was going to pass me, I'd still be nervous. ;-) It's pretty funny because I have been counting down the months. However now that I can call in April to schedule my test, it almost seems too close. ;-) I remember the same with my closed circuit test. Man I was a stressball. Anyhow, I passed it without much fuss, and I think I'm fine on the roads.. I'm not Rossi, but I'm not a total mess either. I just have to take corners slower then most.. Otherwise, not too bad.

Speaking of the SAAQ, the current close circuit test, the MOST test is dead: http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/permis/mo...ation_moto.php Instructors are learning about it now, but apparently, the MOST test is completely dead and they are going to be using a more european model for the closed circuit. I've seen the test on YouTube and it's not the same. They string the tests together more.. In other words it's not just speed up, when the light goes on, emergency brake. It's more 'do a figure 8 three times, accelerate into 3rd gear, go through these cones, and then emergency brake.. But I guess we'll see what the SAAQ comes up with. Not that it really matters to any of us. But I find it interesting.

Anyhow Evol, thanks for the heads up. I'm always really curious to hear what people did to fail. Sounds to me like the guys before you rode like fools. Everyone I talked to says the closed circuit is much harder then the road test. Thanks for confirming that.

Stay warm !

Lightbulb

It's an old rumor (2013) that hasn't surfaced yet in any official press release.

What we did get is the 390 Duke which is not available in North America.

It would be a nice option though with a claimed 43hp from that engine. And being under 400cc, registration here in Canada is cheaper too.

Lightbulb

Might as well continue in this thread since we already mentioned it earlier...

Le Salon Moto de Montreal @ Palais des congrès is in a week and a half. When are we going?

Friday February 27 ------ 12 PM - 10 PM
    Saturday February 28 --- 10 AM - 9 PM
    Sunday March 1 --------- 10 AM - 5 PM

Unfortunately I can't make it on Friday. Which would be better for you guys, Saturday or Sunday ?

http://salonmotomontreal.ca/

To be honest, I haven't a clue what day we are going.. Friday would be the most logical since we all work 10 minutes from there, but on the other hand, on Fridays I generally just want to get home..

Let me check with my gf and brother in law and I'll get back to you..

J

Ok, pencil in 11am on Saturday. That appears to be what we are aiming for.

Can anyone else make it ?

J

Thumbs up

I texted TurboDom and helithumper, Saturday works for them.

FYI: Keep in mind that it takes "forever" to get through the line up to get tickets....
    Last edited by Evol; 02-18-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Ok excellent.

I have your cell number Evol. I will text you Saturday morning as the troops get their asses going.. Hopefully we can meet up. I plan on spending a while there because I want to get a good feel of which bikes I like and don't.. And as I have never been, there's a lot to check out. ;-)

J

Hi guys , how was the bike show ? As for me and my bike I was told it will be arriving in April , wowo just in time for nice weather

Hi guys , how was the bike show ? As for me and my bike I was told it will be arriving in April , wowo just in time for nice weather

April ? That's not far !

I was just going to post something about the bike show.

It was my first bike show ever. So everything was new. I was really surprised but how much the show (and I guess the market) is dominated by cruisers. It seemed like half the show was cruisers.. Those guys all decked out in leather, do they dress like that all the time or is that their moto show attire ?

The show itself was good, but I was really underwhelmed by the bikes. There's nothing there that reaches out and grabs me and says "BUY ME"! I do really like the Speed Triple, but it's really expensive.

KTM did not have the 500 EXC on show. It did have the 350. It's very high and that seat is brutal.. and this coming from a guy who spends 20-25hrs a week riding his bicycle. ;-) I liked the 690 Duke, but the seat made me feel like I was trapped.. not cheap either..

The 690 Enduro has a much better seat and it felt lower to the ground then to the 350 EXC. I guess with Sumo wheels it would be lower.

Anyhow, I am getting married in 2016 and you probably know this, but they are EXPENSIVE! So I don't think I'll be buying anything until then. Which means, I am going to have to live vicariously through you fwd25. ;-) Make sure you keep us up to date on when you get it and take lots of photos !

I am also really curious what everyone else thought of the show.

J

Arrow

The show wasn't as good as it has been, but still not bad. It's always good to see, touch, and sit on bikes.
    I went to the show looking for Kriega backpacks and Dainese gloves. Guess what I didn't find....
    No 500 EXC as Shampoo said, but the 350 EXC-W is pretty much the same bike.
    The 690 Enduro R is also tall in dirt trim, although it does have a better stock seat.
    I liked the 690 Duke, as did helithumper. I love the seat. I find it very comfy, even if it is a one position seat.
    I also liked the new 390 Duke as it feels very small.
    I wish KTM would release the 390 SMC.
    I was surprised that they didn't have any Husqvarna's. That was disappointing, even if they are KTMs is drag.

The main crowd for the show are the cruiser and crotch rocket types.
    As for supermotos, they had the DRZ400SM. That's it. Well, Supermoto Quebec had a KTM race bike at their booth, but that was it. BOOOO!!!!

Guess who had a rock chip his windshield on the way to the show?

As for seats (on the 350/500, etc.), there are aftermarket seats available and they do make a difference. I have a Seat Concepts seat on my WR250X and it is MUCH better than the stock seat.
    Obviously nobody is forcing you to get a supermoto, but if you want one (when you are ready of course), all I can say is that they are a LOT of fun. It is a different style of bike to what you have now and it's up to you to decide if supermoto is for you or not. Generally speaking, supermoto seats will make your butt numb fairly quickly, but these bikes are not really made for long distance riding. It can be done, but it's your butt that will decide how long/far you can ride.

I been to snowmobile show in Quebec and in Toronto and Toronto had a way larger and better show so I would assume the same for bike show + you get to fill the gas for cheaper and buy stuff at royal distributing for way Cheaper then adm sport so next year Toronto bike show is on my list of todo ,

Congrats on you mariage shampoo lot of years of happyness there will alway be the possibility to get a bike in the mean time get her a ktm tshirt lol

Taking about mariage people like to say snowmobiling or biking is dangerous well I would say mariage has to be no 1 on my list .... Mariage is dangerous be careful ...... ...... Haha joking

Many years of love and happyness

Thanks fwd25 !

I never thought I'd get married.. but this girl is fantastic. So I'm pretty excited.

The downside is whatever savings I had, is going to have to go to this wedding.. So there's no way I am going to have the money for a new bike in 2015.. maybe after May of 2016..

We are going to Vegas in two weeks for 4-5 days.. I am thinking of renting a Bonnveville and riding up and down the Strip for a few hours. It's $115 for the day. I don't think they have any way of knowing what the conditions of my learner's permit are.. Worst case is they refuse me.

In regards to the supermoto Evol, the moto show threw a lot of cold water on the idea for me. When you sit on a Bonnie or even a Street Triple and then sit on a KTM EXC, it's like sitting on a feather filled sofa and then sitting on a 2x4! Nevermind the height of it. That alone kinda spooked me.

But at the end of the day, I think I will have to ride one and see. Too bad riding a supermoto at the dealer is going to be hard at best. I guess I could try a DRZ.

Anyhow, nothing until 2016.. Until then I get to choose what food we'll be serving at our wedding (it's looking like Lebanese!) and the colour of the table cloths instead of the colour of the gas tank.. ;-)

Until then, C'MON SPRING !!!

J

Arrow

You're welcome to ride my WRX if spring ever decides to show up....

I wouldn't ride without a full licence especially in another country, but that's just me. IF anything happens, you're be screwed.

Congrats on getting engaged!!
    As for getting married, it doesn't have to cost a lot, but that's up to her.

I've been married for 14 years, but we've been together for 21. Our daughter will be 6 this June !!!!

You're welcome to ride my WRX if spring ever decides to show up....

I wouldn't ride without a full licence especially in another country, but that's just me. IF anything happens, you're be screwed.

Congrats on getting engaged!!
    As for getting married, it doesn't have to cost a lot, but that's up to her.

I've been married for 14 years, but we've been together for 21. Our daughter will be 6 this June !!!!

Thanks for the tip on riding in Vegas. You make a good point. We aren't there for many days and right now most of the days are booked up. If I get the bike, my gf will have to figure out what to do on her own. So the chances of doing it are dropping.

And you are right about she deciding how much it's going to cost. I voiced my opinion once... just once.. ;-)

21 years !? Dude! That's awesome!

It's going to hit 8c next week.. Still too early to ride, but hopefully it'll put a dent in all this snow.

J

I meant to ask everyone here, what is your take on the new Ducati Scrambler ?

I heard one guy call it a "practical Supermoto".

What do you think ?

J

Arrow

To me it's more of a cafe racer, not a supermoto. That said, it could still be a fun bike. I found that it felt larger than it looks though. It's up to you really, what do you want to ride?
    Last edited by Evol; 03-08-2015 at 07:13 AM.

To me it's more of a cafe racer, not a supermoto. That said, it could still be a fun bike. I found that it felt larger than it looks though. It's up to you really, what do you want to ride?
    We are in the process of booking our trip to Europe this year. Looks like it will be Greece for a week and then Romania (where my girlfriend is from) for another week. 3 of those days in Romania will be in Sibiu which apparently is a fantastic place to do Enduro riding. We've found two places that give tours, rent bikes, etc. I am going with a few family members (all Romanian) and they are all coming with me to ride. I think my brother in law is going to come. He's my babysitter when I want to ride here in Montreal (as I am an apprenti).

To be honest, the Moto Expo threw some cold water on the idea of getting a Sumo. That's mostly because my brother in law thinks it's the stupid idea.. "these bikes are for offroad.. why would you want to ride them onroad? Too much maintenance.. that seat is too hard.. it's way too high".. etc, etc.

But after a week away, and with this trip to Romania being planned, I've got the sumo itch again.

So all this to say Evol, when I do get my licence in July, I am going to take you up on your offer and have a spin around the block on your bike. You are more then welcome to try my Bandit.

7 more days and we can all ride outside. Plus this week looks like 3 days of near 5c weather (if not higher). That should get the melting really going and clear off these streets. I won't be getting my bike out until April. My brother in law doesn't ride until then and as he's my babysitter... 4 months to go and and I can do my final exam and get on with it!

J

Cool

Yup, patience is a virtue. Hahaha (yeah right)
    I'll definitely go for a ride on Sunday, but I'm not sure how much riding I'll be doing until the snow is gone. With all the salt on the roads....
    Don't let someone else tell you what YOU want to ride (me either for that matter). It's something you have to decide. Go enjoy the enduro ride. When we go for a ride together later this season, you can see what my bike is like, think about it, and when you have the funding to change bikes, decide then.
    Yes, they are tall. No they are not speed demons. Yes they are a TON of fun.......IF they are right for you.

So, according to this, 2015 is the last year for the 690 Enduro R for Canada.

J

Advertisement
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast