Newb from Montreal - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb from Montreal

Lightbulb

So from what I can figure, we're looking at KTM fazing out the 690 engine from the KTM brand and introducing 2 new power plants for their new models.

The current 690 will be relegated to the Husqvarna 701 Supermoto and Enduro models.

New 600cc & 800cc engines will be KTM's new models (this looks like a 690 based adventure test mule)

KTM's v-twin plans: http://www.twowheelmania.com/2015/01...s-600cc-800cc/
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)
    Riding Game: 3

Advertisement

If KTM doesn't think that the new engine won't be out for "three years" then that means that Husqvarna will be the only place to get an enduro type bike. I guess this is to give Husqvarna a chance at building up a market for these type bikes before KTM comes in ? I'm just not sure why KTM wouldn't wait for the new engine to be ready before relegating the older one..

Arrow

Does it really matter? They are essentially the same company.
    In one article I read, they quoted Pierer (from a press conference) as saying that the new engines will be here "soon".
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

They are essentially the same company. IIRC, the owner of Husqvarna is the CEO of KTM. KTM isn't owned by the owner of Husqy. So the actual shareholders may ask why the CEO of KTM is chopping sales at the knees and instead moving those sales to Husqy.. Conflict of interest.

Not that this makes any real difference to us.. except, there are far more KTM dealers then Husqy and given the choice, I'd rather get a KTM for that very reason.

So what I think is going to happen is this fall, the new Husqy's will arrive and you will no longer be able to get a 690 Enduro.

Let me ask you all a question, if you could get a 690 SMC or the new Sumo Husqy, would you do that or would you get an Enduro and then covert ? I guess the question is, do you plan on doing any off roading...

J

Wow this got my thinking .... I use to think I would do some 80% supermoto city/track day so initially I would have answer yes to the smc but now think have change and I intend to do more off roading and do some supermoto to the point that I may delay the conversion ..... Now you guys shock me with that twin hummmm the bike is few week away from been ready to pic up ..... Single or twin I don't have the bike yet and already thinking about selling it in 2 years lol

Did you get your bike yet fwd25 ?

Who's been out riding ?

I was in Vegas all week and renting a motorcycle was going to be too complicated.. So instead my gf and I rented scooters. Man it felt good to ride around in the warm dry air..

Looks like things should finally get back to normal mid April (I am a bit of a weather nerd and the long term models are showing warmer air starting April 10nth or so)..

Arrow

I almost went for a ride yesterday, but didn't...
    I hope it warms up soon.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Will get it in 2 weeks mean time I enjoy some of this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427683000.482807.jpg

We should hit 10c during the day at mid April sound like perfect timing to start riding the bike

Thumbs up

I rode yesterday
    Holy crap it was cold !!!!
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

I bet it was , you need to try multi layering to stay warm , take a look at columbia omni Heat underwear or base layer , they are very good to keep warm in any outdoor activity

Quote Originally Posted by fwd25 View Post
    I bet it was , you need to try multi layering to stay warm , take a look at columbia omni Heat underwear or base layer , they are very good to keep warm in any outdoor activity
    Layering is definitely key. I'm a huge fan of Merino Wool. You can get it at MEC or at Ice Breaker. A layer of that, a turtleneck, another layer of wool, a thermal lined jacket and you are good to go...

As the resident weather nerd, the models are showing warming around the 10nth of April. There's a western ridge of warm air around California that is causing the jet stream to dip south (and has been for nearly two years!!) and that ridge is breaking down. As a result, the jet stream will move north forcing warm air up here and cold air way up there.. The models have been showing this now for two weeks. So hang on for another two weeks and we'll all be out there.

Having the jet stream over ower head will it make those storm come more of ower way insteed of Boston ?

Having the jet stream over ower head will it make those storm come more of ower way insteed of Boston ?
    Sadly, yes.

But, it should be rain and not snow.. If that helps. ;-)

If you are interested go here: http://weather.gc.ca/ensemble/naefs/...ombinee_e.html You can go back in time and watch how the West goes more and more red.. That was the western ridge. You can see the jet stream by the white band that starts near alaska and does a horseshoe pattern.
    J

Yeah cool link , I also like to read and understand weather , i do prefer snow then rain , but can manage with the rain , my cousin has some very warm clothing and a ADBoivin explorer kit on his DRZ and he has a blast riding it in the snow

I could be something you could look into

I mean it could be something that you could try , it take some getting use to but with winter getting short and the cost of today snowmobile , those snow bike should become more popular

So let me throw out a question which has nothing to do with what we have been talking about..

I have been riding and racing bicycles now for 20 or so years. I have ridden lots of them. At the end of the day, they are all a little different but really, the same. I've ridden maybe 5 different motorcycles, and I was a complete beginner while doing so. My question then is: can you say that all motorcycles are really the same, with minor differences ? Or is one bike completely different from the other ?

Interesting question
    I would say at first they all the same been guided by the same physical laws , skill learn from one can be transfer to the others then they get all diff and unique , type of riding , suspension tuning , etc ........

On the snow bike topic think of it as a bike with no wheel ..... No gyroscopic effect , suspension work differently , snow condition etc it make it challenging to keep it balance specialy when you stop and your feet sink in 3 feets of snow

Lightbulb

Interesting question
    I would say at first they all the same been guided by the same physical laws , skill learn from one can be transfer to the others then they get all diff and unique , type of riding , suspension tuning , etc ........
    Yup, I would agree. In a basic way, yes, they are all the same. BUT, every bike has it's own differences and feel. Just like bicycles, every bike feels different.

When I changed my tires last fall (Avon Distanzia), I noticed that my WR250X felt slower to turn in, less nimble/nervous. And that was ONE change and the bike felt different.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Interesting did you notice any diff in the shape of the tire

I just order the tires for my SM convertion and I hesitated beetween the 120/60 or 120/70 for the front ... The 60 would leave a few more mm of clearance on each side but I taugh the 70 higher profile would make it handle better so I went with the 70 trusting the guys on the forum who said there is sufficient clearance

Ps what about tire pressure have you try diff pressure to see any change ?

Arrow

Yes, the sizes (front and rear) are different now (bigger), so that definitely has something to do with the change in feeling. (Different profile)
    I'll start playing with tire pressure changes soon.
    I'm not saying I don't like the tires. They grip very well, and I'm already getting used to them. I might go back to the stock sizes for my next tires...
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Hummm the great thing about getting married is you have to thing about including her in everything you do otherwise she will get all kind of idea in her head so I suggest you start looking for a 690

Hummm the great thing about getting married is you have to thing about including her in everything you do otherwise she will get all kind of idea in her head so I suggest you start looking for a 690

LOL!

You are probably right.. With the way this wedding is going to cost, I think I'll be riding my Bandit for a LOOOONNNNGG time. ;-)

J

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by shampoo View Post
    Stop giving me ideas....
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    Stop giving me ideas....
    Dude, if you bought that bike, I'd be like your best friend forever. ;-)

Arrow

I wouldn't buy that bike. $10k for a used '12 is not worth it. A brand new '15 is about $13k with conversion.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

The guy is asking 10k and is early in season , I be curious to see how low he would be willing to go ?

I was at moto illimite and the saleman was asking 12.2k for the 690 and telling me all king of BS about he can t go any lower , when I told him the price I had sign for with another dealer he drop it to 10.5k to get me to switch dealer then I got him to drop at 10k + tx , ..... I dout his boss would have let him sell it at 10k but just to say ..... It is alway negociable

While over there I talk to a ktm rep. And he told me he was riding a 500 on a gravel road near Parent and he got pass by An orange rocket that turn out to be a 690 ......those are the words of the ktm rep

If I understand correctly, for $10K you are getting a slightly used 500, sumo wheels and tires (Warp 9) and the original wheels that came with the bike. If my math is correct, a new KTM 500 is $11K plus transport, dealer crap costs and federal taxes. The Warp 9 wheels are $2500 (correct me if I am wrong) and the tires, well they are used so let's not include that.

New, as is, that bike would probably cost close to $15000.

It's not an incredible deal, but it ain't half bad, especially if you can negotiate him down to say $9000.

All the used 500's that have appeared on Kijiji have been in the $9000 territory. For $1000 more you get sumo wheels..

@fwd25 I can believe the 690 is faster, but if my reading is correct it won't be faster in the single track. I guess it all depends on what you want it for. I dream of owning the 500 but I think the 690 is a smarter choice for street use and occasional off road riding.

J

I know you are right shampoo on a track the 500 should be faster , I just like to tease people , may be next year we will have the chance to confirm the 500 speed

Angry

I know you are right shampoo on a track the 500 should be faster , I just like to tease people , may be next year we will have the chance to confirm the 500 speed
    ;-)

So who ordered this fresh white hell ?!

Grrrrr

Angry

Last edited by Evol; 04-04-2015 at 07:31 AM.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Hahaha common snow and winter are a blessing , it make us more peaceful , think about it if those G20 meet or any other international meet be held at Yellowknife in January when it is -30 outside there would be lest protest lol , on the bike side we get to see this new machine call snow bike becoming popular , you guys have to see some moto ice racing in valcourt and see how other fellow motorcycle Ryder enjoy the cold ice think of it as a SM with spike on the wheels finally this is the last snowmobile weekend and I saw many thing on the trail , deer , fox , etc but I have never ever saw a terrorist lol

A+

So what are you doing to get the cops attention? Hmmmm ? ;-)

Saw this today: http://www.internationalmotorsports....olumbia-969694

J

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by shampoo View Post
    So what are you doing to get the cops attention?
    Read the thread...You'll understand.
    http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...motocross-quot
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Hey guys

Got my bike and SM rear wheels

Now I have install the new rubber into the hub with the sprocket support and with moderate pressure I am still 1/8 inch from all the way in

Should I lube the rubber ? Or / and use a C clamp style set up to push the sprocket support all the way in ?

Thumbs up

Hey guys

Got my bike and SM rear wheels

Now I have install the new rubber into the hub with the sprocket support and with moderate pressure I am still 1/8 inch from all the way in

Should I lube the rubber ? Or / and use a C clamp style set up to push the sprocket support all the way in ?
    Congrats on getting your new bike !! Post some pictures !!!

As for your question, I'm tired and confused....
    Are you trying to install the spacers into the hub?
    Could you post a photo of what you mean?
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

On the left is the sprocket support , on the right is the Cush hub with rubber inside ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429059805.394536.jpg

Then we can see a 3 to 4 mm gap

I was suggested to lube the Cush rubber inside with dish soap , should help to close the 3 mm gap will try it tonight

So jealous.. So very, very jealous...

Nice bike !!

thanks shampoo , now working on the SM set up , still waiting for some part

Now the catch is my wife fear for my safety made me promise not to ride it on the road ............ Work in progress .....

thanks shampoo , now working on the SM set up , still waiting for some part

Now the catch is my wife fear for my safety made me promise not to ride it on the road ............ Work in progress .....
    Wu-oh !!

Good Luck with your wife. I wish I could help.. but if my past history is of any use, I am the LAST person you should be taking advice on women from. ;-)

Send more pics when you get the Sumo wheels on.. Very nice !

Have you heard of this @fwd25 ? http://www.ridaventure.ca/index.php?...-commence-ici/

Yes I did , a friend at work is very involve with this group and told me about the ride , will skip it this year , but for next year I definitely like to join in

As for my wife I will take it gradually making her feel confident about me riding the bike

This remind me of a story out of topic but very funny

A friend want to buy a new more powerfull snowmobile , his wife said ... Since he want to feel young again with those powerfull machine she too want to feel young so for the same amount of the price of his snowmobile she will get a breast implant job hahaha now he is freacking out and trying to convince her to be reasonable ...... Woman lol

A friend want to buy a new more powerfull snowmobile , his wife said ... Since he want to feel young again with those powerfull machine she too want to feel young so for the same amount of the price of his snowmobile she will get a breast implant job hahaha now he is freacking out and trying to convince her to be reasonable ...... Woman lol
    ROFL !!

I laughed pretty hard at that.. I assume he knows that it doesn't end there.. Those silicone breasts need to be replaced every 5 years or so.. That means more $$$$.

So good news (well for me), I booked my final road exam. If all goes to plan, (and I don't fail), I should have my license July 16 at around 09:30. Now I have to go rent a bike for the test. Did you use your own bike Evol or did you rent one ?

Arrow

I rented a bike because my bike is only 250cc.... We need 401cc+ for the Class6A permit. You should be fine with your Bandit as long as everything on it is legal and working properly. If not, it would be a good idea to rent for the exam.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

I rented a bike because my bike is only 250cc.... We need 401cc+ for the Class6A permit. You should be fine with your Bandit as long as everything on it is legal and working properly. If not, it would be a good idea to rent for the exam.

Ok thanks. I am going to rent. Much less hassle.

Any things I should be practicing or looking out for before my exam ?

Lightbulb

Do PROPER stops (left foot down) & starts (Look left, right, left).
    Check blind spots & mirrors.
    Don't go over the speed limit.

RELAX and ENJOY the ride !!! Whether you pass or not, enjoy the ride. The helps keep you calm and less likely to make mistakes. It also shows the examiner that you are comfortable on a bike, which is what they are looking for.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Do PROPER stops (left foot down) & starts (Look left, right, left).
    Check blind spots & mirrors.
    Don't go over the speed limit.

RELAX and ENJOY the ride !!! Whether you pass or not, enjoy the ride. The helps keep you calm and less likely to make mistakes. It also shows the examiner that you are comfortable on a bike, which is what they are looking for.

Thanks for the tips @Evol. I appreciate it. The ride itself doesn't freak me out, it's the 56 day wait for the next attempt that freaks me out! ;-)

Everyone I talk to says it's fairly simple. Just ride your bike, follow the laws, do your blind spot checks, check your mirrors and everything will be OK. I haven't ridden yet this year. I will probably start in May or so and hopefully get 1 or two rides a week in.

Advertisement
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast