Newb from Montreal - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb from Montreal

Wish you all the success I would say be prepare , make note of the important point like evol say then visualise you doing it while sitting on the bike then relax and execute

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by fwd25 View Post
    Wish you all the success I would say be prepare , make note of the important point like evol say then visualise you doing it while sitting on the bike then relax and execute
    Thanks fwd25 ! I have three months to go, but I'm no doubt very excited and a little nervous.. I just need a few days out to really practice and focus on riding correctly and I should be fine.

How is the bike coming along ? Have you ridden it much ? Did you get the sumo wheels on ? Any luck convincing your wife ? ;-) Send more pics!

Nice day today, get out and ride

J

Bike is at home , did not have a chance to ride it yet too much work

As for sumo wheels I got the rear ok still waiting for the front to arrive , dealer tell me a week or 2 ,

Should be ok to ride in the dirt this weekend

One Helluva great looking bike fwd25.

So I saw this today: http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/04/2...701-microsite/ They seem to think it will be out in November.

IIRC, it's harder to make this bike into a dirt bike then the other way around. If that's the case, I'd be more apt to get the 690 KTM Enduro or more likely the 500 EXC. I've been messaging all kinds of people on Advrider and Reddit who own the 500. They all say the same thing: "Super fun to ride on urban streets, incredible in the trails, but not at all fun on the highway. But they say you can ride it on the highway at 100km/h without much issue. It's just not very fun. That, I can live with.

My exam is in 12 weeks exactly !

J

Hello from St-Lazare. QC
    Just picked up a 2015 Enduro R this week.. I'm doing the sumo conversion too... Wheels ordered from Warp 9.. I will be following your thread!

Cheers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TWV View Post
    Hello from St-Lazare. QC
    Just picked up a 2015 Enduro R this week.. I'm doing the sumo conversion too... Wheels ordered from Warp 9.. I will be following your thread!

Cheers
    Welcome to SMJ !!
    We should go for a ride one of these days soon
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)
    Riding Game: 3

Welcome to the group TWV , i am currently in the process of converting my 690 , the rear wheel is done and ready to go , the front wheel is BO and should arrive for the 28 May .........

Did you go for orange wheel with warp9 ?

Yes, I went with the orange rims with black hubs. Also ordered a set of Conti Attack SM .. This bike is costing a fortune!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    Welcome to SMJ !!
    We should go for a ride one of these days soon
    Sounds like a plan.

Hey @TWV!

Welcome to our little Montreal group. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I am just getting over a cold. This frickin' winter from Hell won't leave...

Did you get your bike new ? Nice choice ! Where did you get your wheels from ? Directly from Warp 9 ? Can I ask what the wheels ended up costing ?

Send some photos! I have to live vicariously through all of you for now..

And @fwd25, did you go off roading this weekend ? How did that go.

Ok, I am going to go back to bed and hack up more of my lung.

Yes, I went with the orange rims with black hubs. Also ordered a set of Conti Attack SM .. This bike is costing a fortune!!
    Nice can t wait to see how they look , warp9 also told me they have a relocating bracket for the front caliper that would allow room for a 320mm disk , are you going for it or stick to the stock disk for now ?

Agree about the cost it really add up to the point I realise for the same amount I could get a super duke lol but definatly not the same flexibility in use so all in all the 690 is the right choice with the off road possibility

Tire wise I went for the Michelin pilot power 3 , I like the big bubbly fellow

Quote Originally Posted by shampoo View Post
    Hey @TWV!

Welcome to our little Montreal group. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I am just getting over a cold. This frickin' winter from Hell won't leave...

Did you get your bike new ? Nice choice ! Where did you get your wheels from ? Directly from Warp 9 ? Can I ask what the wheels ended up costing ?

Did not ride it yet overwhelm with work , next weekend is must for sure , my wife is having good laugh as she see me working OT to pay the bike and those accessory and no time to ride it

Did not ride it yet overwhelm with work , next weekend is must for sure , my wife is having good laugh as she see me working OT to pay the bike and those accessory and no time to ride it
    Isn't that always the way eh ?

I would love to do La Classique this year.. Next year. I hope !

Hey @TWV!

LOL... Good luck with the lung.. Yes, I ordered the wheels directly from WARP 9. am sticking with the stock 300mm rotor. There seems to be a issue with the 320mm, but I am not sure what. The wheels cost me around $1200.00USD. That was with the shipping charges .($90). I did save a little on the wheels because I didn't want a rear sprocket with it. I've ordered a 42t stealth sprocket from the dealer, Along with a shorter side-stand and different fork protectors.. I sure hope that tis all comes together without too many problems.. Keep me posted on yours!!

I will ..
    The story about the 320mm disk would be that the current location of the caliper won t allow it to fit , ktmtwin is working on a new bracket to relocate the caliper , when I called warp9 they told me they have one

Isn't that always the way eh ?

I would love to do La Classique this year.. Next year. I hope !
    True but my wife is on the saving side and I am more on the spending side specialy when it come to "toys" like bike ,,,,

So she just enjoy teasing me with it

Aftermariage most wife tend to go on the saving mode when it come down to men toys ,,,, keep that in mind shampoo when you say .....I do

I sure want to participate too , any one also member of ridaventure?

I sure want to participate too , any one also member of ridaventure?
    I am.. But I don't think I've posted anything. Next year I'll be there for sure.

Here's a video of the 2013 ride that was just posted to give you an idea.. But these guys for some reason like to use huge bikes to do it. But it gives you a good idea of the terrain.

J

It look to be a lot of fun ,a few guys at work did participate and they highly recommand it

And that is the great thing about those SM converted simply by swapping the wheel and some suspension tuning it is possible to go from off road to SM and back

And now that Polaris bough timbersled those winter kit will become more affordable ( larger distribution and high sale volume) so it add the the versatility of those bike

I love it

It look to be a lot of fun ,a few guys at work did participate and they highly recommand it

And that is the great thing about those SM converted simply by swapping the wheel and some suspension tuning it is possible to go from off road to SM and back

And now that Polaris bough timbersled those winter kit will become more affordable ( larger distribution and high sale volume) so it add the the versatility of those bike

I love it

I couldn't agree more.. To be honest, the more time passes, the more I think I'd stick with the knobbies for the first year or two and then decide to get the 17" tires or not. My usage is really to just putz around town, get to work, run errands and then on the weekends, head up north and hit the trails. I don't think I'm the kinda guy to hit the 329 or the 327 and push it as hard as possible.. Nor am I the kinda guy to pop wheelies in a parking lot. But head out with a couple of guys up north, ride the trails, grab a burger and head home.. that, I can see myself doing. Plus, what I like about off road is that it's a good workout too. Anyhow, given that I have never done it, I might be talking out my ass. ;-)

J

Lightbulb

I'm not going to tell you to lose the knobbies, but I think you would be surprised what you can do (offroad) with street tires. Obviously mud is a whole other story, but when it's dry, street tires are surprisingly good offroad.
    Just some food for thought....
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

My cousin do street and trail with his drz sm , his tires have large groove on them , must be Avon ... Plus in winter he has the explorer kit from ad Boivin

It is a good all around set up , lot and lot of fun but each would have limitation

With the 690 in my case , I get more ground clearance and a real off road set of tire or swap to the 17 and I get something more sticky on the asphalt , a little tuning of the suspension and it get even better

I was told that a SM with groovy Avon tire would be ok in the easy section of the classic

It all come down to what you plan to do with the bike

In my case I was looking for an exercise machine to burn my excess of sugar , not much of a gym type and looking for something more punchy then a drz but not as extreme as a exc 500 so.....

Nice weekend coming up , to all have a great a safe ride

Nice weekend coming up , to all have a great a safe ride

Cheers !

I'm finally over this cold. Going to go out tomorrow and get a good block of training in on the bike.. Enjoy the weather everyone.

J

Arrow

Nice. Be safe out there !!!

I on the other hand, pulled out my back yesterday and I had to postpone my Tremblant getaway this weekend with the wife.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

@fwd25 I just saw this: http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/reca...+%26+Rubber%29

Take care of that back Evol.. We're all gettin' old. ;-)

J

Thank for the info , I did check the routing of the rear brake hose and it all look good , will wait until I get some new from the dealer

How about you TNW did you ear something from your dealer ?

Got my first ride on the bike , awesome I love everything about the bike specially low end torque
    But I will need a custom seat , need to remove some seat thinkers to fit my leg lenght

Any idea who could do this in Laval or not too far ?

fwd25, did you manage to take it out on the autoroute? If so, how was it ?

J

Any idea who could do this in Laval or not too far ?

Oops, missed this.. Maybe try QuadPro in Mirabel ?

J

Lightbulb

Or just go for a Seat Concepts seat....It's extra money, but it is money well spent !!!
    I love my SC seat. I'd buy another one for my next bike without hesitation.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...tegory=1671352
    Last edited by Evol; 05-05-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Thank I will look into it , just order koubalink from ktmtwin that will give me 1 inch , if I can get another inch from a lower seat that be perfect

I did not get onto the highway cuz I am still on my dirt tire and don t want to wear them that way but mostly the height issue make it tricky for stop sign and red light on the way to the highway lol so front wheels should be in soon so I will wait for that extra inch clearance and sticky Michelin rubber to hit the pavement

Wheels all done... Can't wait for the weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice bike
    I love those orange wheels , any fitment issue ? did you change the pipe ?

Nice bike
    The fit without any problems, but I also changed
    the fork protectors... I think the tire would have rumed the ones that came with the bike

Nice bike
    Ooops,, and yes, I put a Wings muffler on too!! Big sound improvement!

Lightbulb

SWEET !!!!

This weekend is a busy one (Mother's Day and nephew's B-day party) and next weekend is booked too.
    Gotta RIDE !!!!!
    Enjoy your new bike !!!
    Last edited by Evol; 05-06-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

SWEET !!!!

This weekend is a busy one (Mother's Day and nephew's B-day party) and next weekend is booked too.
    Gotta RIDE !!!!!
    Enjoy your new bike !!!
    Thanks, have a good weekend.... Probably gonna head down the 342 to Rigaud

Hey TWV, that is one sexy bike. Well done! Very jealous.

TWV here what I found about Ktm bike

Already grinded the peg now checking the spoke on both wheels set , I am finding that the spoke maintenance is a continuos project

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/pr..._your_new_ktm/

The SM wheels make the front a full 1inch lower then the rear , have you do anything to change that geometry ?

Hi guys , so quiet now I can see every body busy riding lol , just finish removing the charcool canister that recycle those gas vapor from the tank , the engine run smoother now , have you look into that TWN ? amazing how many mod that can be done on a new bike

Thumbs up

I rode with TWV on Victoria Day. Good guy. Bitchin bike!!! Gotta ride again soon....
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

I FINALLY got out for my first ride this past Sunday. We went up to St-Sauveur via the 158 and then the 329.. Nice little easy ride. I cannot believe how many Harley's there out there. You see barely one in the city, but on the weekends on the country roads, it's nothing but old guys on Harley's. Just crazy

My road exam is July 16th and I am already nervous !

J

Thumbs up

Being nervous is normal. Silly, but normal...

Remember, whether you pass or fail, you're still going to a ride. Do your stops, don't speed, check your blind spots, etc. but remember that it is a ride. Enjoy it !!! If you're comfortable on a bike, don't worry, just enjoy the ride.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Being nervous is normal. Silly, but normal...

Remember, whether you pass or fail, you're still going to a ride. Do your stops, don't speed, check your blind spots, etc. but remember that it is a ride. Enjoy it !!! If you're comfortable on a bike, don't worry, just enjoy the ride.

Thanks Evol !

I have signed up for a refresher course on the 14th of July. My exam is the 16th. This will give me a chance to try out the bike I will be using for the exam. The less surprises, the less I stress..

I have talked to a lot of people who did their exam recently. They all say the same thing as you. I am confident I will pass, but the consequences of failing is a PITA.

Question for the rest of you, how are you liking your new bikes ? Have you done any highway miles ?

I was wondering what my ride up to Sauveur would have been like on a Sumo..

I saw a KTM 500 EXC in the city last week. Full knobbies on. They had Ride Aventure stickers on their bikes. Man that KTM 500 EXC is a nice lookin' machine !

The downpayment on the Enduro trip to Romania is made. So I am booked. Two days of riding in Transylvania. Should be awesome.

J

Sound great shampoo you will have a fantastic ,

From what I read you should be very well prepare for your exam so it should go smouthly

I have been riding dirt only , I know once I get those sumo wheels on And ride on pavement I will be hook but I want to get comfortable with the bike height as an enduro first , struggling at 165cm but it getting better

First sumo ride should be after my mxpro class on July 11

Just order the wing pipe should be a great improvement over stock , may be TWN could tell me if he had any issue with it

That exc 500 is really sexy , but also very high lol

Fantastic time , ,,,,,,,,,,sorry for the incomplete top sentence

Thumbs up

Just order the wing pipe should be a great improvement over stock , may be TWN could tell me if he had any issue with it
    TWV's bike is freaking awesome !!!!! We've ridden together twice now. He's a good guy.
    I don't think he had any problems with the exhaust (he didn't mention having issues). He likes it and it sounds great.
    '15 FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

Sounds like everyone is having a great time.. Which is super cool.

I got myself into a little cycling accident on Saturday. Coming down off the bridge on Nun's Island and as I round a blind corner, a putz decides there's no need to look both ways before crossing the bike path and as a result, I slam right into him. I flew like an eagle and landed on my back.

I only remember getting into the ambulance after that.. End result, I was out cold for a while, broke my collarbone in two, and have one massive bruise on my hip.. Doctor says I probably need plates put into my collarbone. We shall see.

If you ever do get into an accident, go the Montreal General ! They were fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about the people there. Anyhow, I am doing better. I had lots of fevers and crazy headache but they appear to be on the way out.

Enjoy the riding.. I should be good to go in 5 weeks.. My exam is in 5 so hopefully I won't miss it !

All the best guys

J

Advertisement
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast