Pictures of my rat 'tard

Thread: Pictures of my rat 'tard

Default Pictures of my rat 'tard

Here are a few pictures of my newly minted rat moto. It started off as a 1995 XR250L, and has benefited from a Krylon rattlecan makeover and a pair of GS500 wheels. I still have a few minor brake issues to work out, but the wheel conversion is basically done. There's no telling what I might do next, probably depends on what kind of cheap parts I stumble across.

Opinions welcome!

Advertisement

I like the rat tard! Good job working with what you got...
    07 Yamaha WR250F/ 07 KTM 144/ 07 BMW 650 X Chall/ 05 XT225/ 79 XT500

Help/ Support a legend (Doug Henry) http://www.road2recovery.com

Uhhh..not too sure about that caliper bracket, but rock on.
    '06 DRZ400SM with Dirt Setup too
    2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

I love a good ratbike just as much as I love a nice blinged out bike.
    "It is not the critic who counts..."
    -T. R.

B E A uuttiiffullll !!!!

That is supermoto done right.
    2005 WRX STi (If supermotos were cars) 2000 XR650R (Street Legal SuperMoto)
    1969 CB350 (old cafe project) 1970 Mustang (351c4v)
    1993 FZR600 (Sold) 2001 WR426F (Sold)
    2002 DRZ400S SM (stolen)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotcorner
    Hey, I'm all for learning...what don't you like?

Oh man, that thing is ugly! and I'm not even sure if that's supposed to be a compliment or an insult. Lol.
    2001 Yamaha TTR-150L
    2005 CRF450X
    1998 Buell White Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Michelangelo
    Oh man, that thing is ugly! and I'm not even sure if that's supposed to be a compliment or an insult. Lol.

Default fyi

Quote Originally Posted by BSharp
    I thought it warranted a 2nd look as well..just not something I had seen, then when I looked closer BAM it hit me that is the same as we use on Downhill Bicycles And it works well ther, so why not. Glad to see someone that isn't turning thar motorpickle into Amer. Chopper project # 3,009,553......sending respect yer way BSharp.....

That turnbuckle isn't going to let the caliper go anywhere. Watch the hard jump landings, maybe...

Mad props, BSharp!
    2K5 DRZ400SM "Fang"
    1976 Golwing aped bobber & 1996 HD FLHTC

Looks to me like the side to side flimsyness of the caliper mount would allow the pads to drag/bump/twist around on the rotor, but I'm no engineer.
    '06 DRZ400SM with Dirt Setup too
    2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Looks to me like the side to side flimsyness of the caliper mount would allow the pads to drag/bump around on the rotor, but I'm no engineer.
    You can't really see it in those pictures, but the caliper itself fully floats in a U-shaped carrier. Not only that, but the aluminum bracket isn't rigidly attached to anything at the bottom, it just rides on the wheel spacer. It does rattle around a little, but that's by design. The only thing that bracket does is hold the caliper at the right radius from the axle. As Bayou pointed out, the torque link from the bracket to the swingarm takes all of the braking force.

This is basically the same setup we used to run on our flattrack bikes. It would have been better to hang the caliper under the axle so that the torque link could be in tension instead of compression, but I think we made it plenty stout enough to compensate.

+1 on what Hotcorner said but frankly, as long as the bracket holds up..I'd ride that thing all day long...nice job...a 250 has to be a hoot to ride....

There will always be a soft spot in my heart for ratbikes. Nice job making one look respectable!
    00 XR650R Adventure pig, 96 XR600R Do-it-all, 96 KDX200 Enduro, 90 KLR650 Adventure cow
    01 MZ Baghira (Sold), 74 Montesa Cota 247 (Sold), 00 ZRX1100R (Sold), 04 RM250 (Sold) and a lot of other long gone exes

I'd rattle can that frame as well for the "complete look"

comfy. reliable. unique. cheap. winner in my book.

i vote for take a hacksaw to the side plates.

Yeah I agree. You CAN clean it up a bit for next to nothing and have it looking like a cute rate bike for cheap!
    2001 Yamaha TTR-150L
    2005 CRF450X
    1998 Buell White Lightning

love it... a cheap and nice SM!!
    SUPER MOFO

Quote Originally Posted by Vtard
    I'd rattle can that frame as well for the "complete look"
    I thought about that, but it seems like it would take a lot of either disassembly or careful masking to paint the frame without painting everything else...of course it is a rat, what's a little overspray?

Maybe I'll take that on later this summer after my exams are past...

Quote Originally Posted by bdmmotard
    comfy. reliable. unique. cheap. winner in my book.

i vote for take a hacksaw to the side plates.
    Do you have a drawing program like MSPaint or anything where you could sketch out a line that you think would look good?

I originally left the plates the way they are for a reason. A buddy of mine makes decals, and he hooked me up with Honda wings for the tank and my old racing numbers for the sideplates. After I got it together I realized that the Fusion isn't likely to be all that durable (I scratched it in a few places just reinstalling parts) and it would be nice to be able to touch-up without trying to spray around decals. Plus the Mad Max look started to grow on me.

Killer!

Love the rat! and I'd trade my left nut for that cush lookin' seat!
    2006 Husqvarna SM610
    2003 Suzuki TL1000R
    2003 Suzuki DRZ400S
    1987 Suzuki GSXR50

I want to see a close up of the front caliper. thanks! nice bike I just used car undercoat spray (rubberized) for my plastics.

I thought about that, but it seems like it would take a lot of either disassembly or careful masking to paint the frame without painting everything else...of course it is a rat, what's a little overspray?

Maybe I'll take that on later this summer after my exams are past...
    Tin foil works great for that

BTW, so does BBQ paint; it's a nice shade of flat black
    '04 Aprilia, RSVR Mille
    '06 Husky, SMR450 (#14)
    '98 Husky, Siberian (Sasha)

Quote Originally Posted by pookiebear
    I want to see a close up of the front caliper. thanks! nice bike I just used car undercoat spray (rubberized) for my plastics.
    I'll try to get a picture as soon as I can. Not much to see really, just a stock caliper hiding behind a big ugly bracket. I could probably shape it a little for looks, but it didn't seem worth the effort.

Undercoating sounds like a great idea, have any pictures?

I would try and shape the hangers a bit so they don't come off as blocky....

Also, what about a tail chop ala ducati monster? that way you can smoth the rear end a bit. I think UFO has nice intergrated LED tail/brake/plate light you could tuck up underneath

Good job, I like the wheels, but they need to be flat black with red pinstripes to be truly rat!

Sweet rig man!

Necessity...the mother of invention

Quote Originally Posted by w00ht
    I would try and shape the hangers a bit so they don't come off as blocky....

Also, what about a tail chop ala ducati monster? that way you can smoth the rear end a bit. I think UFO has nice intergrated LED tail/brake/plate light you could tuck up underneath

Good job, I like the wheels, but they need to be flat black with red pinstripes to be truly rat!
    I'll have to post up some new pictures of the rear, too. It turned out that the rear caliper I used, which was brand new but had been sitting in a box for many many years, was frozen up. I ended up using the caliper and bracket off of a late model GS500. Definitely looks much more factory. Now if I could just get the damn thing to bleed...

Also, I have already acquired a black aftermarket MX rear fender off of a KX125 in pretty good shape. That will be a project for this coming winter.

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar13
    Sweet rig man!

Necessity...the mother of invention
    Thanks Fivestar, I think it serves the purpose!

Bsharp, you got me thinking about putting a set of GS500 wheels on my DR350 for street duty. But one question. Did you just move the brake rotor over to the other side? The holes are there already? The pics I've found of a wheel on a bike shows the rotor being on the right side.
    B for Bruce

I'm a born again two wheeler. 7 bicycles, 4 operational motorcycles and two basket cases in need of love.

I’d suggest something simple like this, corner to corner, nice constant arc, nothing complicated, but I’m no motorcycle designer, oh wait, yeah I am, haha.

You have yourself a deconstructionist masterpiece there, I love it! normally I would agree with you axing the 1983esque rear fender for an mx one, but I think it works perfectly on this bike, continuity is the key word here, mad max style. And hey, if you get bored with this thing you could always sell it to a hollywood art-director for some future apocalyptic movie, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider
    Bsharp, you got me thinking about putting a set of GS500 wheels on my DR350 for street duty. But one question. Did you just move the brake rotor over to the other side? The holes are there already? The pics I've found of a wheel on a bike shows the rotor being on the right side.
    Good question. The fact is, I thought these were GS500 wheels when I bought them off of E-Bay (that's how they were listed). It wasn't until after I had them installed that I realized that a GS front wheel only has a single rotor. The front wheel I had gotten had dual rotors. I just removed the one on the right and motored on. Both rims are the right width for a GS, and the sprocket that came on the rear has the stock number of teeth for a GS, but apparently it wasn't a GS.

After I realized that, I posted on one of the sites to see if anyone could tell me for sure what my wheels were off of. Opinions varied, but I seem to remember "Bandit" being one of the top possibilities.

I think there are only two things that really matter when buying wheels for the conversion. One, are they narrow enough to fit between the forks and swingarm? At 3" and 3.5", certainly no problem there. Some people try to push it with the widest rims they can possibly cram in, but for my purposes that was not necessary. Two, do the axle diameters match? It isn't fatal if they don't since you can always replace wheel bearings or get bushings to make up the difference, but it sure is easier without the hassle. On that count I just plain got lucky. I had no idea what my stock axle diameter was or what the wheels I bought would take, and they just happened to match.

Having been through it once, my advice would be to track E-Bay for wheels with either two front rotors or one on the same side as your bike and the rear sprocket and rotor on the same sides as your bike, then e-mail the seller for the width and the axle diameters. If they're narrow enough to fit and the axles are right, snatch them up.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinWallyz

I’d suggest something simple like this, corner to corner, nice constant arc, nothing complicated, but I’m no motorcycle designer, oh wait, yeah I am, haha.

You have yourself a deconstructionist masterpiece there, I love it! normally I would agree with you axing the 1983esque rear fender for an mx one, but I think it works perfectly on this bike, continuity is the key word here, mad max style. And hey, if you get bored with this thing you could always sell it to a hollywood art-director for some future apocalyptic movie, lol.
    That is some nice editing work, and a good looking sidecover. Thanks! This one I'm going to have to think about some more, but at some point I'm probably going to be out in the parking lot with a dremel tool and your picture for reference.

So what sort of bikes do you design?

^ going to austria in the fall to do ktm’s, husaberg’s and maybe some ‘other’ stuff for a firm called kiska that handles all the design work for those companies.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinWallyz
    ^ going to austria in the fall to do ktm’s, husaberg’s and maybe some ‘other’ stuff for a firm called kiska that handles all the design work for those companies.
    Sweet gig!

Advertisement