DRDOOM Motard Build

Thread: DRDOOM Motard Build

Default DRDOOM Motard Build

Seeing a few dual sports on craigslist but nothing that I was impressed with. So I thought to myself, how can I have fun, pay nearly nothing for insurance and have a little power at the same time (CBR owner) for less than $3,000.

So I went on craigslist looking for a XR650 Honda, saw a bunch but I found this DR650 for $2800, I brought my haggling friend along and came home with it for $2450.

The parts list began as soon as I got home.

The whole purpose of this build is to have fun on the street instead of sitting in traffic, maybe a little off-road adventure.

Not looking to build a $10,000 bike (which I completely respect, I'm just broke) just simply want something better than a car, and I know we can all agree, any Dual Sport bike is more fun than your average Toyota Corolla.

Just want to make it how I think Suzuki should have built it off the showroom floor.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Advertisement

here's the dirty bitch when I got her home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gave her a nice tear down.

Virginia doesn't require turn signals for VA inspection I tend to use my hand signals anyways

I tore em down and removed all the wires associated with them, found out the bike must have been dropped at one point because the turn signals were replaced and spliced into the OEM existing wires.

Also removed the rear Pelican rack and box, understand the use for it but a simple backpack works for me.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:16 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Cleaned up the rear end.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Polished the brown turd and got some fork seal savers

Took a wire wheel to the nasty muddy OEM coated header pipe and buffed it out with some mothers polish.

I wanted to do the proper polishing stages: starting with a heavy grit sand paper then working my way to a finer grit eventually just using some soft steel wool pad then polishing to a shiny finish. BUT, I DIDN'T.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Default Damn! Hate OEM bulbs!

Nice little $11 bulb used my old CBR ballast plugged right up!

I usually use a led blue tinted bulb but I decided to go with a HID instead since I'm gonna be off road a little bit.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Some pics after I brought her out

Before and After for now.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:31 PM.

YES! new DRZ400 Zeta throttle came in! Fits like a glove. Also got my new UNI filter.

Was gonna purchase an R6 throttle but decided to take a shot and buy a quick throttle for a DRZ. It's honestly one of my favorite and most noticeable upgrades (so far) $30 shipped from Amazon.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Some more new toys in the mail!
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Warp 9 shifter made a huge difference in looks. Interchangeable tip in a verity of colors available.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:38 PM.

New foot pegs, 1 finger wider that OEM $15 shipped on amazon!
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-12-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xROWDYx View Post
    Seeing a few supermotos on craigslist but nothing that I was impressed with. So I thought to myself, how can I have fun, pay nearly nothing for insurance and have the power that I'm used to (CBR owner) for less than $3,000. So I went on craigslist looking for a XR650 Honda saw a bunch but I found this DR650 for $2800, brought my haggling friend along and came home with it for $2450. The parts list began as soon as I got home.
    Looking good and clean so far, but I'm afraid the DR isn't going to quite have the "power" you're used to if you're coming from a sportbike. They're great and all, but outright power has never been that bike's selling point.
    00 XR650R Adventure pig, 96 XR600R Do-it-all, 96 KDX200 Enduro, 90 KLR650 Adventure cow
    01 MZ Baghira (Sold), 74 Montesa Cota 247 (Sold), 00 ZRX1100R (Sold), 04 RM250 (Sold) and a lot of other long gone exes

Around town it's fast enough, faster than the DRZ400 and the WR250X is what I ment, more pics on the way! Can't wait for my exhaust maybe change the gearing for better top speed & lower rpms.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-12-2015 at 06:42 AM.

Got my new PSR oil cap and my DRZ tail light.

Added a kill switch to my taillight for the off-road adventures (on other peoples land) tail light was basically plug and play, mounted the switch to my rear fender spliced in the ground wire.

DRZ taillight is a SGP which is why it was $90 from procycle, but looks great and cleans up the back instantly.

The PSR oil cap was just cosmetic, I'm not planing on going to the track ever while owning this bike. It'll help out during oil changes so I don't lose it but otherwise it's just plain cool.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:41 PM.

New Warp 9 chain guide installed, great fitment, a little weaker looking in my opinion but great looking upgrade.

Warp 9 levers are AMAZING!

Fully adjustable great finish, way better than the OEM levers that my hand guards didn't get along with very well. Always liked the ASV levers but wanted that OEM fitment without changing anything. Went on in less than 5 minutes.

New moose racing grips as well.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Blue fuel line!

Ordered 25ft of it because it was only $20 so have plenty left for other future builds. Had a fuel filter but looked to bulky so I'm fine without it.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:43 PM.

ProTaper SE bars, had trouble with the install due to my clutch lever it couldn't slip on my bars because of the left hand grip groove that most bars come with.

I had to slip it on from the throttle side which scratched them a little bit.

Really thinking about getting a black pair instead just for a cleaner look.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 01:45 PM.

A stock wr450 makes more power?

Around town it's fast enough, faster than the DRZ400 and the WR250 is what I ment, more pics on the way! Can't wait for my exhaust maybe change the gearing for better top speed & lower rpms.
    Fixed that for you ^, Love all of the attention the DR is getting, You don't see many DR builds. Whats the plan for wheels? Congrats on the purchase!

Yea sorry guys still new to the scene, the wr250x was what I was referring to.

Not sure what wheels I'm gonna do, looking at a set of 17" Warp 9 wheels, they'll be one of the last purchases, I'm on a tight budget and they will tie the whole build together. Did I mention this is my ONLY form of transportation at the moment.

Really love the look of this DR build this is what I'm shooting for.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-12-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Default Can't go wrong with all Black

Searching for a wheel set, I've been so impressed with Warp 9 products and service, that I've decided to go with these!

Wanted to rock the blue hubs but thinking about a color change eventually so all black is the way to go!

Gonna order a set in a few weeks, gotta get my FMF Powercore 4 first.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-13-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Ive got warp 9 wheels on my CR250R and they are ok, but the colouring is off from the more expensive brands. My "red" wheels look kinda pink, or like a faded red vs other brand wheels ive seen.

Awesome, build btw, it looks like its coming together quick!
    2001 CBR 600 F4easy (current stuntbike) FOR SALE
    2010 KTM 690 SMC (current street slut) FOR SALE
    2015 KTM 300 XC-W (current woods bike)
    2009 Husky 510 SMR (current hooligan machine)

These are the projects I like ! People who decide to take a bike which in my opinion are so ugly and then you turn them into awesome sumos to the point I want one aha that white Dr up there ^ awesome aha look forward to seeing what happens
    Hey could you run a complete drz sm front end on one of these ?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpse View Post
    Ive got warp 9 wheels on my CR250R and they are ok, but the colouring is off from the more expensive brands. My "red" wheels look kinda pink, or like a faded red vs other brand wheels ive seen.

Awesome, build btw, it looks like its coming together quick!
    Thanks for the advice, don't wanna get a set then regret the color, was looking into a wrap maybe a digital camo or something more urban. Black wheels will work for now I like a simple clean look.

Quote Originally Posted by c20letboy View Post
    These are the projects I like ! People who decide to take a bike which in my opinion are so ugly and then you turn them into awesome sumos to the point I want one aha that white Dr up there ^ awesome aha look forward to seeing what happens
    Hey could you run a complete drz sm front end on one of these ?

Thanks for the positivity, right when I was looking into maybe putting this aside and searching for a more popular bike to build instead, you put me right back on the path!

The weather is discouraging me a little as well lol. But I'm gonna go through with my exhaust and wheels as soon as I get my taxes.

I'm not sure if the DRZ forks will fit but a popular swap are the RMZ forks, just saw a build today where a DR rider used KTM forks but not sure if there was any modifications.

Got my blue lens on, HJC Helmet $89 on sale , Scott Goggles.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-25-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Default Tail light kill switch installed.

Here's my kill switch I added, wanted to mount something that would look somewhat OEM.

Pretty much just a quick upgrade. Basically for when I go on a ride with my reckless friends, who tend to attract unwanted attention from the local police.

Cut the switch and use the brakes as needed, without the bright light illuminating any alley I'm turning down.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-25-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Thinking about a new headlight, need a more modern look.

At the same time want a more sinister look.

Should I go with the cyclops? Universal fit and looks cool imo.

I dig the whole street fighter look too.

Default Oversized Bars

Got some new over sized pro taper bars, the SE bars weren't doing it for me.

These Contours have a little more rise and they handle much better.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 01-25-2015 at 03:07 PM.

still looking good

Quote Originally Posted by battles412 View Post
    still looking good
    Appreciate that, more to come soon, saving up for the wheels.

Got rid of the fishbowl and installed this DOT 4 silicone tubing for my reservoir fluid.

Just tryna be original.

Default FMF Powecrore 4

Lost a few lbs with my new FMF

Re-jetted the carb and deleted the air box.Gonna order a single filter to go directly on the carb.

Really impressed with the outcome, lifted up the front wheel with ease.

Items for Sale

Nice looking project you got there!! I'm in nova too, maybe when the weather starts to cooperate, we can hook up and do some riding!! Feel free to send me a pm and hit me up!
    Not Banned
    Challenges Complete: 25

2010 HUSKY SMR450 http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...56#post1283256

Quote Originally Posted by Little squirt View Post
    Nice looking project you got there!! I'm in nova too, maybe when the weather starts to cooperate, we can hook up and do some riding!! Feel free to send me a pm and hit me up!
    Thanks man really trying to do it up different than the DR's I've seen online. I think my buddy saw you not too long ago on Telegraph (if you had a KTM) we live around Duke St. I'm def down for a ride whenever, looking for SM riding buddies got a bunch of Sport Bike friends but only 1 SM

That's a good looking DR! Not very often you see another DR on here. My bike is set up pretty much the same as yours, except for a TM40 carb. Its worth looking into!

Quote Originally Posted by mud390 View Post
    That's a good looking DR! Not very often you see another DR on here. My bike is set up pretty much the same as yours, except for a TM40 carb. Its worth looking into!
    Thanks man I'm still doing work to her and have been thinking about a new carb actually now that I have a ton of room under my seat to work around. I'll do some research.

Got my headlight in the mail and installed it last night, love the look of it, it's not dated like the OEM fairing.

Here's some updated pics, can't wait to get the wheels, it's gonna be day and night difference.

Found out I can get OEM plastics from Coleman's Powersports for much cheaper than the DSA plastics I was gonna buy.

Some hand guards to tie it all up and I should be good for now.

Got a nice ride in this week, going for one tomorrow.

My SGP side frame covers came in today, day and night difference!

Still waiting on my rear fender. Post it when I get it in.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 02-07-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Default New Front Fender 'Evil Duck Face'

Got my new front fender in today mesured and drilled some holes then installed it, love the look!

Had the Acerbis SM fender but it was a greenish white color that stood out, so I ordered this one by Cycra. Much cleaner white!

Here's some pics (without my new plastics still waiting on my rear fender)

Even though my engine covers are scratched up, my girl bought me this Yoshimura inspection plug..

I think it looks cool plus it's .000000001 gram lighter than the OEM one!

It's the same size as the GSXR and DRZ400 apparently.

Ordered my FMF Powerbomb header a few nights ago cause I hate the shitty OEM header pipe.

Items for Sale

Thanks man really trying to do it up different than the DR's I've seen online. I think my buddy saw you not too long ago on Telegraph (if you had a KTM) we live around Duke St. I'm def down for a ride whenever, looking for SM riding buddies got a bunch of Sport Bike friends but only 1 SM
    yeaup probably me, just got some 17's on the way for the ktm. add one more sm here!
    Not Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Little squirt View Post
    yeaup probably me, just got some 17's on the way for the ktm. add one more sm here!
    Nice! Cant wait to see em on! Polished or custom color?

I'm searching for a powder coating place around here, I wanna get my engine case covers done satin black or textured black. Didn't know if you knew a place.

Items for Sale

you could try these guys out

http://www.extremepowdercoating.com/

yeah, just polished, here is my lil build thead

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...Double-Duty***
    Not Banned

Default FMF Powerbomb Header

Couldn't stand the OEM header, ugly af.

Turning gold fast. Love it!

Bored and broke (meaning bills, before build)

So I changed the bolts to gold bolts and threw on my new rear fender.

Don't wanna put my side covers on till I start riding again.
    Last edited by xROWDYx; 02-19-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Lil FMF heat shield and some fresh oil, got snowed in again. East coast problems.

Advertisement