SuperMoto Junkie banner

SM510R For The Street?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Gweedo 
#1 ·
I have a dealer that will sell me an '05 with a plate. How would this bike be on the street? What would need to be done beyond the obvious DOT requirements?

#3 ·
"I have heard" that the Husky is far easier to service and does not require the type of attention that the KTM requires..... the ones I saw at the Seattle appeared to be alot different looking than what I've seen in the past....the engines are startin to look kinda main stream looking ??? If you get my meaning..... I wish I new how the 510 pulled in comparison to the 525 SMR.......I guess we will find out in the first couple weeks of January.... also the new 610 will be in Seattle by then as well...... hmmmmm

#4 ·
510 Maintenance

Based on what I've read, the 450 and 510 are essentially identical - the 510 has a longer stroke and a few upgrades for this year (like a different carb). I often pick up the UK mag "Performance Bikes," and one reason I bought my '04 SM40R was their article about it. They mentioned that the bike required an oil change after every few hours of operation, but the next issue had a correction - Husky in the UK had contacted them to say that was for racing use only, and used as a street bike the maintenance requirements were a lot less. I changed my oil after 1000km, and I'll probably keep changing it every 1000mi or so (it holds less than 2 liters, and the filter's pretty cheap). I based my purchase decision partly on what the dealer said, and I don't expect it to be a high maintenance bike (based on street use).

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

#6 ·
that's what I've gathered as well, that the bike is sold as a road going bike in Euro-land, so it can handle "street" use a little better than some other makes. I'll find out I guess.

I can pull off an oil change in less than a half an hour, and that's from tools out to tools away. The tranny is smooth as silk, the shifting is slick, and once I ignor the rpms and just rev it, the little thing just rails.

Warning: the stock tires are total crap. dangerous crap in my humble opinion. They will let go when you least expect it, and at least on my bike, I'll feel a rumble, like I'm going over small ridges in the road, and then zooom, I'm sliding towards the outside of a turn. The race rubber I had on my old 610 was so good I could grind my pegs into atoms and never fear. So if you pick up a Husky, be prepared to ditch the stock tires right away. Hell, sell the new ones back to the dealer for a discount on some sporting rubber.

yatta yatta yatta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.