Husky 701 - Page 27
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Results 1,301 to 1,340 of 1340

Thread: Husky 701

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Thompson View Post
    I wouldn't be taking my bike to that dealer anymore. My local dealer has been great to me. They did say husky is slow to reply to them when it comes to warranty work. When I took my bike in for oil consumption issues they said the longest part of it was dealing with husky. They had my bike 6 weeks and put new rings in it and rehoned the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are the only husky dealer in my area and the KTM dealer is not "allowed" to work on the 701 even if it's the clone of the 690 smcr. But yeah I won't take my bike to them anymore.

Even for the first service they rip people off by charging 300€ for an oil change.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Nico67590 View Post
    They are the only husky dealer in my area and the KTM dealer is not "allowed" to work on the 701 even if it's the clone of the 690 smcr. But yeah I won't take my bike to them anymore.

Even for the first service they rip people off by charging 300€ for an oil change.
    Yeah that's crazy.

Perfect day for a ride! I shot up to Glennville for lunch this morning. I had a blast and am loving this bike. Can't beat the weather we are having this week!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Default Husky 701

Picked up a new toy last week (3d printer - Cubicon Single Plus) and printed up a few more clips for the front brake line. I'm playing with making a bracket to push/hold the lines up against the number plate on the left side to help keep them from blocking my speedo. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default seat

Quote Originally Posted by wakeboarder911 View Post
    Perfect day for a ride! I shot up to Glennville for lunch this morning. I had a blast and am loving this bike. Can't beat the weather we are having this week!
    looks like you are running the seat concepts kit, is it the tall one? How is it feeling to you, my ass is killing me after about 2 hours on the stock seat and I'd like to know if the SC is any better.
    I have one of their seats on my 625smc and it's a big improvement over stock BUT that bike has more seat foam to work with than the 701.

Default Husky 701

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn 141 View Post
    looks like you are running the seat concepts kit, is it the tall one? How is it feeling to you, my ass is killing me after about 2 hours on the stock seat and I'd like to know if the SC is any better.
    I have one of their seats on my 625smc and it's a big improvement over stock BUT that bike has more seat foam to work with than the 701.
    I'm running the oem height seat concepts seat and love it. I'm 6'3" and it works great for me. I ran a SC seat on my 500 exc and it was a night and day difference on that bike. The difference in shape profile for the 701 wasn't as extreme as the 500... the SC 701 seat has a wider profile up front vs stock and the foam is definitely softer. I ordered and had the SC seat waiting at the house for over a month prior to getting my bike. I can't really comment on the stock seat other than it was hard and I didn't want to play with it. I had too many bad memories with the 500 stock seat and knew I wanted to be comfortable from the gate this go around .
    Probably not the best answer for you... I love the seat and would def recommend it. When I ride I don't notice my rear getting sore so it's doing it's job.
    Last edited by wakeboarder911; 03-18-2017 at 08:12 AM.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site but not to bikes.
    I picked up my 701 a few weeks ago. It rips.

Couple of pics

Default Husky 701

Riding season is officially open in California! Shot up to Glennville with my pops and brother for breakfast this morning.

Just put my Deposit down on my way home from my MSF class on the last 2017 701 SM I could find in my area. Going in next week to do the paperwork and fun stuff. Then off she goes to the suspension shop to get lowered, new valves and springs for my tiny 5-3" 100lbs . I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by MoltoMario View Post
    Just put my Deposit down on my way home from my MSF class on the last 2017 701 SM I could find in my area. Going in next week to do the paperwork and fun stuff. Then off she goes to the suspension shop to get lowered, new valves and springs for my tiny 5-3" 100lbs . I can't wait!
    He can do it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwjpc8I-0kw

Quote Originally Posted by Nico67590 View Post
    Bikes been at the stealership for a month now, because of the coolant getting pushed out of the overflow tank and oil leaking from the head gasket area.

They haven't done anything to the bike yet.
    Mine has also been at the dealership for a month. They were originally just going to replace the head gasket because coolant made it's way to where spark plug is, but then they realized the piston ring broke, so they are replacing that...no word from them since they said they are ordering that part.

Quote Originally Posted by breefield View Post
    Mine has also been at the dealership for a month. They were originally just going to replace the head gasket because coolant made it's way to where spark plug is, but then they realized the piston ring broke, so they are replacing that...no word from them since they said they are ordering that part.
    OMG, I'm so glad I came back to this thread! When I got mine tuned, it started blowing coolant like you guys are describing. He refused to tune beyond 85% throttle b/c that's when it would shoot coolant. He thought it was a cracked or bad head gasket. What are your dealers telling you guys? I was going to be taking mine in to have it looked at next week.

Clip of getting the tune - that was the last WOT run he did. He emptied the coolant reservoir at least once during the tune. He had a condensation collector in there too and he said it didn't look like coolant was getting into the exhaust. HOWEVER, when I ride with friends, they say they can smell oil in my exhasut under high throttle conditions. I know big singles burn a bit of oil but it seems excessive to be able to smell it, no?

EDIT: I knew it blew coolant PRIOR to ANY mods because I would randomly see pink liquid on the frame after a ride when I first got it. This is distressing to say the least.
    Last edited by jdoggg1; 04-07-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    2009 Yamaha WR250X

I'm picking mine up from the 600-mile service today.

Have all these bikes with oil or coolant issues been modified?

My 701 does not feel even close to 70 HP. I have been planning on doing an intake/PC5 modification to get closer to the claimed horsepower.

But, if all the modified bikes are blowing the fuck-up, I might not want to do that...
    2017 Husqvqrna 701 Supermoto Bought New
    1980 Jawa/GM 500 Speedway Bike Bought Used]
    2007 CRF150RB Sold to pay taxes
    2004 CRF100F Bought Used
    2009 Ducati 1198S Bought Used

Quote Originally Posted by Ducandy View Post
    I'm picking mine up from the 600-mile service today.

Have all these bikes with oil or coolant issues been modified?

My 701 does not feel even close to 70 HP. I have been planning on doing an intake/PC5 modification to get closer to the claimed horsepower.

But, if all the modified bikes are blowing the fuck-up, I might not want to do that...
    I edited to clarify that my bike was doing it from the onset, NOT as a result of mods. The dyno tune just allowed us to see it in action in a controlled environment. As soon as he told me what was happenening I instantly knew it was the same issue I'd been having. It's just hard to diagnose on a 70HP bike when it only happens at WOT...
    2009 Yamaha WR250X

Mine is stock, no mods other than GPR exhaust.
    1,500 miles, I am second owner and identified pretty much right away.

However I don't think the piston ring broke on previous owner, as the performance changed dramatically (plus smoke) a few weeks into ownership.

Default husky 701

I dropped this bike in the first day I had it due to rear caliper seize and lock up .. has anyone else had this problem .. manufactures rep is supposed to come out to inspect and repair.. dealer was a POS !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Husqvarna 701 sm 2015 Ducati Hypermotard sp,

(09BMW g450x,2013 beta 450 sm) stolen in 15
    BMW f800r (pos) sold ;08 Ducati Hypermotard evo
    MZ Baghira 660 punched out

Quote Originally Posted by credit View Post
    I dropped this bike in the first day I had it due to rear caliper seize and lock up .. has anyone else had this problem .. manufactures rep is supposed to come out to inspect and repair.. dealer was a POS !
    First time I have heard of that happening. How odd. Don't lose faith tho, it's an awesome bike.

Make sure the rep throws in some free stuff!

I have never heard of anything like this either.
    I have seen rear brakes stick on a bit and overheat if they were set up with insufficient free play. Basically without enough free play: any temp rises reduces the free play to zero and holds the brakes on. That heats them up more and they apply harder....

What happened in your situation?
    Suddenly locked for no reason?
    Locked when trying to use them gently?
    Used the rear hard, but they stayed applied when you released them?

I'm sure we will be interested to learn more, and especially the final reason and outcome.
    Good luck!
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    '17Husqvarna 701SM. KTMs-'06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

I dropped mine screwing around on dirt. Only 50kms on it. Lol
    2017 701 Supermoto w/ wings exhaust, bikelitez fender eliminator, euro front signals

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    I have never heard of anything like this either.
    I have seen rear brakes stick on a bit and overheat if they were set up with insufficient free play. Basically without enough free play: any temp rises reduces the free play to zero and holds the brakes on. That heats them up more and they apply harder....

"Used the rear hard, but they stayed applied when you released them?"
    exactly ..
    I'm sure we will be interested to learn more, and especially the final reason and outcome.
    Good luck!
    Thats exactly what happened.. then I unstuck the brake and it stayed applied twice until I bleed the brakes a little .. now they seem fine but the rep is coming out Monday to check .. which I think is mighty White of KTM/HUSKY to replace and repair parts

The rear brake adjustment is nice on these bikes.
    The screw with a lock nut for lever (pedal) height. (I might fit a slightly longer screw. I must prefer my lever at the lower end.)
    The free play is adjusted by looosening the two Allen heads and sliding the MC. (I prefer little free play, but make sure I have ample for the reasons being discussed.)

Good luck with your issues.
    I can tell you from experience that after suffering a brake issue, it can take a little time before full trust is returned. My first KTM, an '85ish 250MX, brand new, my first disc brake dirt bike. Suffered the lever coming back to the bar with no braking effectiveness occasionally. (Faulty piston seal). Once fixed it took a bit to get back to my demon late braking.

Have a great day everyone.
    Hug your bike.
    Tell your girlfriend she is the best ever. (Sexist assumption.)
    Smile so much people become suspicious.

ANYONE HAVE A 2017 MANUAL OR WIRING DIAGRAM?

Yesterday I was on the way to pick up my 701 from 600-mile service, the cab I was riding in was rear-ended while we were sitting in traffic, on the freeway . I'm all whiplashed!

Are these bikes cursed?

2004 CRF100F Bought Used

Yesterday I was on the way to pick up my 701 from 600-mile service, the cab I was riding in was rear-ended while we were sitting in traffic, on the freeway . I'm all whiplashed!

Are these bikes cursed?

Wow!
    Get well soon.
    I think (hope) its the Internet phenomenon of a huge majority having no issues, and the few issues very widely discussed.

Are these bikes cursed?

1800 miles on mine so far... Still putting a smile on my face! (Knock on wood)
    I stabbed myself in the finger with a box cutter while installing the steering damper and nicked a nerve (finger went to sleep for a few days but Is good now) other than that everything has been good.
    My bike felt flat up top at around 7000 rpm and on... I had the bike tuned again and they found it was running a bit lean up top.
    Hope you get back to 100% soon and can get back on the bike again... the weather is finally prime and seems like we are all getting hurt!

Default found the problem

so KTM sent out a tech and he found and fixed the problem .. dealer prep failure

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    The rear brake adjustment is nice on these bikes.
    The screw with a lock nut for lever (pedal) height. (I might fit a slightly longer screw. I must prefer my lever at the lower end.)
    The free play is adjusted by looosening the two Allen heads and sliding the MC. (I prefer little free play, but make sure I have ample for the reasons being discussed.)

Good luck with your issues.
    I can tell you from experience that after suffering a brake issue, it can take a little time before full trust is returned. My first KTM, an '85ish 250MX, brand new, my first disc brake dirt bike. Suffered the lever coming back to the bar with no braking effectiveness occasionally. (Faulty piston seal). Once fixed it took a bit to get back to my demon late braking.

Have a great day everyone.
    Hug your bike.
    Tell your girlfriend she is the best ever. (Sexist assumption.)
    Smile so much people become suspicious.

ANYONE HAVE A 2017 MANUAL OR WIRING DIAGRAM?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by breefield View Post

Got mine back last Saturday, after 6 weeks.

The head was warped, so I got a new one. But they managed to scratch the frame and the front rim of the bike....

Default COOLANT ISSUE and MORE

I have read on the KTM forums that the bikes have always done this (blown coolant out of over flow tank). Most people suggest trying a new overflow cap first, becuase they can be bad. If that doesnt fix it, one guy just said run it hard for a few days, draw a line on the overflow tank and that is your new "full" mark. But I keep adding coolant to mine when the overflow tank nears empty.
    Lets all PLEASE update each other on the progress on this.

Mine is in for a Warrenty full top end rebuild. (2016 with 3000 miles) it was consuming .9L in 600 miles. dealer has SUCKED. but so far they have found tight valve clearances (must be really bad becuase they are even replacing piston ring).

Default Your ROTT intake

Quote Originally Posted by dpwracing View Post
    I picked up my bike in January and have been busy modding it ever since!

Best mod so far is the Rapidbike fuel module with Rottweiler intake and Wings exhaust. Tuned by EDR Performance (dyno link below), made 73hp. Took a lot of added fuel (stock was very lean). Runs awesome now, amazingly smooth for a single. Still need to get some stiffer springs and gearing, but otherwise ready to rip! Going to do some racing as well as street riding with it.

Link to dyno run: https://www.facebook.com/edrperforma...4864541545109/

By the way, found the Wings insert cost about 2 - 3 hp across the entire rev range!
    Have you had your element disperse oil in the underseat area?
    Also which baffle were you using? Small/Large or?
    THanks

Default Running Mineral Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Thompson View Post
    I had oil consumption issues with mine. It was using 1/2quart every 400miles. It had used oil since day one of purchasing it. My dealer ended up putting new rings in it and re honing the cylinder. I have 400miles on it since they have done the work to it and it hasn't used a drop of oil yet. Upon inspection of the original rings The oil control ring was worn funny on the bottom side of it. The bike only had 2200miles on it when I took it in. I am also running bel ray mineral oil in it for now per husky's recommendations for the break in period of the new topend. I am suppose to run mineral oil in it for the first 600miles then for another 1200miles. After that I am suppose to run a non synthetic oil for several thousand miles before switching back to the bel ray thumper oil that is recommended for the 701 by husky.

Hope you get your bike sorted out.

Lots of people have suggested running mineral oil but exactly what does "running bel ray mineral oil in it for now PER HUSKY'S RECOMMENDATIONS" mean? it seems like the one constant thing with all the bike problems is that Husqvarna has been very silent to the customers in regards to any information. So did Husky Corporate give you that suggestion or did the dealer? Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeez View Post
    Lots of people have suggested running mineral oil but exactly what does "running bel ray mineral oil in it for now PER HUSKY'S RECOMMENDATIONS" mean? it seems like the one constant thing with all the bike problems is that Husqvarna has been very silent to the customers in regards to any information. So did Husky Corporate give you that suggestion or did the dealer? Many Thanks
    That is what my dealer told me that husky recommended that I do. So yes husky corporate suggested this. I'm suppose to run mineral oil in it for the first 600 miles. Then run it again for another 1200miles. Then after that switch to a non synthetic oil for another 3000 miles before using the bel ray thumper ester blend that's recommended by husky for the bike.

I'd love to know what oil is in them when you pick them up.
    This is the most important phase of bedding the rings in.

Default Husqvarna 701 Issues

Man, I love this bike but my experience continues to have some hiccups...

First, they can't seem to fix my position indicator after two months of trying (can't "see" neutral, but more importantly Check ECU is permanently on and could mask other errors, and I can't start or idle the bike with the stand down, which is just annoying).

I also seem to be burning a little oil. I have no leaks, but it seems I'm topping off every once in a while, which has me obsessively checking all the time now, which kind of sucks. What's worse though, is that I sometimes gets commentary suggesting that's normal and not a big deal for a high performance bike like this. Seems to me most bikes aren't having the issue, but a few of us are. Note that I broke-in my bike just fine, so I doubt it's that (although no one ever mentioned doing a longer break-in and/or just staying with mineral oil longer, which I see some folks talking about). Anyone else having to top off like this?

I think everyone (dealer and Husky) is trying to help resolve it quickly now, and it seems to be getting the attention it needs, but I haven't been overly impressed with my experience so far.
    Last edited by Taynt3d; 04-25-2017 at 06:29 AM.

I have a little over 700 miles on my 701 and no issues. No burning oil, no electrical or mechanical issues and my dealer said Husky told them to put full synth in at 600 miles. Just put a 15t sprocket in and it screams like a raped ape.
    2004 CRF100F Bought Used

Quote Originally Posted by Taynt3d View Post
    Man, I love my 2017 Husqvarna 701 but my experience continues to have some hiccups in SF.

First, they can't seem to fix my position indicator after three months of trying (can't "see" neutral, but more importantly Check ECU is permanently on and could mask other errors, and I can't start or idle the bike with the stand down, which is just annoying for such a new and expensive bike).

But maybe more troubling, I'm burning oil like others have experienced in this thread. I have no leaks, but it seems I'm topping off every 250 miles or so, which has dropped my confidence with the oil levels and has me checking every single time I ride, and even contemplating having to ride with spare oil handy, which just sucks. I broke in my bike perfectly, so it's not that.

I think my dealer finally has Husky's attention, and they seem to be helping now, but I haven't been impressed with my customer experience so far. And I've been patient too, waiting three months before starting to get really annoyed and posting on the Net about it.

If Husky's not careful here they are headed down a path of getting a reputation for (1) not supporting their dealers well enough (heard that comment from others on the net in addition to my own experience) and (2) having a bike that's prone to burning oil, which isn't a good reputation to have. I'm also disappointed when I hear about lengthinging break-in and continuing to use mineral oil, which if true, I was told neither with my bike.

I hope Husky and KTM are paying attention because they could have a winner here with this new introduction to the USA, but I'm starting to go from loving the bike and being a proponent to telling everyone I meet about my bad experience with the bike thus far, with slow and iffy warranty service, and probably most importantly, a reputation for being an oil burner from the start -- all reasons why I stayed with reliable Japanese bikes for the past 20 years, and now that I took the leap like other may be contemplating, I've been to my dealer more times for non-routine maintenance with the 701 in four months than I did with my Suzuki in 7.5 years.)
    What dealer are you using?

I have a little over 700 miles on my 701 and no issues. No burning oil, no electrical or mechanical issues and my dealer said Husky told them to put full synth in at 600 miles. Just put a 15t sprocket in and it screams like a raped ape.
    I have about 609 miles on mine. Goes in Wednesday for the 600 mile service. I haven't seen any oil burning so far either. When I checked the our glass in the casing yesterday it's still full to the top line. I didn't baby the bike either. I immediately rode the bike how I would ride it daily. I didn't start really getting on it till about 300 so so miles on her. Hit the revlimiter for the 1st time yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by MoltoMario View Post
    I have about 609 miles on mine. Goes in Wednesday for the 600 mile service. I haven't seen any oil burning so far either. When I checked the our glass in the casing yesterday it's still full to the top line. I didn't baby the bike either. I immediately rode the bike how I would ride it daily. I didn't start really getting on it till about 300 so so miles on her. Hit the revlimiter for the 1st time yesterday.
    They have a rev Limiter?! LOL
    Mine feels very powerful through the mid range, especially with the mods/tune.
    Without a tacho I'm reluctant to give it a good rev, especially with how smooth it feels. (I'm slightly worried I'm reving it more than I realize.)

I have a month to wait for some dyno time. Should be revealing.

Update: my bike was in the shop for 5 weeks, the technician originally decided to replace a gasket (they didn't communicate which one). Once they received the gasket and went in to replace it they realized my piston ring had broken and scratched the fuck out of the cylinder wall. So they had to order more parts, which took forever and is why it was in the shop so long. When I picked it up they were boxing up my busted parts to send back to Husky—they said they were also having a hard time getting Husky to pay up for the 20-odd hours they'd spent working on my bike.

The warranty replaced the piston, piston ring, and cylinder. The dealer said that they inspected the bottom & top ends and deemed them fine.
    Back on the road now doing the 600 mile break in again, keeping my revs down despite not having a tachometer. My oil consumption has dropped considerably (I can ride 150 miles and not have to top up lol).

Ultimately this seems like a positive thing. I think the high oil consumption was due to an improperly seated piston ring and I was burning oil since the day I picked up the bike.

Pics of piston ring gore:

Thread killer.
    2004 CRF100F Bought Used

That piston problem is nasty!
    Hopefully very rare.

I really think the allowable oil consumption is complete BS.
    My 690 didn't use a drop. And so far the 701 is the same. For KTM/White KTM to claim up to is it 600ml/1000miles (kilometers?) is acceptable seems to ignore the fact that some use none.

Unlike some HiPo motors that do use oil. Air cooled Porsche motors I believe.

Maybe I'm lucky. None of the original oil used in the first 1000km. None of the current oil, Motul 5100, used in the next 500.
    I have to decide how long I'll leave it in. Thinking about 3000km between changes. And use some sort of full synthetic. Any comments on Amsoil 10w50 Synthetic Dirt Bike oil? I understand it's one of the few true full synthetics, including the base stock.

I don't want to start an "oil thread". Nearly all motorcycle oils are fine.
    I've been using a variety mainly "Shell Ultra" (recommended by Ducati) in my race bikes. It's getting harder to find locally.

Advertisement
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627