1999 WR400 Build, "Big Bertha"

Thread: 1999 WR400 Build, "Big Bertha"

Default 1999 WR400 Build, "Big Bertha"

Getting my first supermoto build going, picked up this wr400 for pretty cheap for a commuter.

Did the carb swap to an 05 wr450, just need to get the correct perch. Once it passes and is legal for the street the skinny tires are coming off immediately. Im planning to lace up the stock hubs to the 17" wheels, I need to research if thats possible or if someone makes the correct spokes. Alot of parts coming in the mail, will update this thread accordingly. Also on the look out for a stock wr450 tank for a more modern look instead of the tumor gas tank.

Advertisement

Im trying to find out how everyone is running turn signals on these bikes as the output is 55w of Ac power I believe?
    Ive been searching everywhere to some results but no conclusive. Im considering just running a nicad 1500 mah battery for the signals and making a simple wiring harness for that.

Bike is all wired up, running a 120 and 180 on excel rims.
    Will post pictures, just need to figure out how to install a keyed ignition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Having some issues starting this bad boy with the new 450 carb, in insight into this. Searched around but havent had much luck.

Is the auto decomp mod worth doing for starting?

Yes.. buy the cam lol. It makes a world of difference, well worth it.

Is there a recommended rejet for the carb swap? Its running lean, wont run without the choke out. Going to go up two-three sizes on the main jet and see how it works.

Choke only really matters at idle. I'd start by cleaning the pilot, then go out a little on idle mixture screw, if that doesn't do the trick go up a size on the pilot.

How much rub is there with a 180?
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc
    2002 YZ426F/448 supermoto - Behr/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

http://doctorenduro.com/Stator_Application_Chart.pdf

Here's a stator list, Baja Designs also has a good list but it seems their technical page is down right now. 85w as it claims is plenty to run a light kit, but floating the ground will give you the best amount of dc power. I floated mine a long time ago, from the factory it runs ac voltage so you will always get a flickering light at idle.

I have a 2000 WR400 that does all my street duty and I've done 10+ Supermoto races with it, they're great bikes! Just can't keep up with those darn 450's in the straight bits.

Yours looks great already, the 450 tank, shroud, seat swap really helps them feel and look updated.

What does it take to swap? I have 05 YZ250F tank/shrouds/seat sitting around and would like to swap on my YZ426
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc
    2002 YZ426F/448 supermoto - Behr/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

It's been a long time since I found info on it, so try not to quote me on this, but as long as the yz250f is steel framed you can swap the tank, radiator shrouds, and seat and it's all a direct bolt on when you do all three. Nothing aluminum frame will fit steel framed body wise in terms of seat, tank or shroud.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandarex View Post
    It's been a long time since I found info on it, so try not to quote me on this, but as long as the yz250f is steel framed you can swap the tank, radiator shrouds, and seat and it's all a direct bolt on when you do all three. Nothing aluminum frame will fit steel framed body wise in terms of seat, tank or shroud.
    You will need to replace the rear subframe too to get the seat to line up right.

Quote Originally Posted by toten View Post
    Choke only really matters at idle. I'd start by cleaning the pilot, then go out a little on idle mixture screw, if that doesn't do the trick go up a size on the pilot.

How much rub is there with a 180?
    Alright, Ill tear it down and report back.
    I got these wheels used for about 800$ with brand new tires, the setup has maybe 200 miles on it. The 180 doesnt rub except on the chain just a hair. Ill probably be going to a 150-160 soon, Im worried as soon as I actually do some canyon runs it will rub like crazy.

I am planning on have a tank swap, I didnt realize you had to do the rear sub frame as well. I did a tank swap on my old 2000 yz144 I built and was able to retain the stock rear subframee.

I never ever thought a 180 would fit- on my bike a 160 on a 5" rim even with a non o ring chain is super close.
    Bobaganoosh and crash both adapted a newer yz250 2 stroke tank, seat, shrouds etc. to a steel frame bike without too much effort.
    The smokers have alot better looking body work imo.
    Here is the link to the bike crash built with the smoker plastic
    http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...-426-450/page3
    Last edited by knuckleduster271; 03-31-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    2003 wr450- (sold)
    2007 wr450-
    "girls only want boyfriends who have great skills, you know like nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills, wheelie skills"

Project is moving forward again, speedo is being installed and Im really thinking about getting the auto decompression put in. This thing is a pita to start, still needs a bit of carb work.

New EBC 320mm brake kit, front pads and rotor were fried so why no upgrade, also heres where the 180/55/17 is sitting right now. Carb is sorted and is starting first kick.
    Definitely going to have to change it out for something smaller, what Size do you guys recommend for a 4.5in wide rim ?

A 150 rear should be ideal for that rim size.

Looks like pirelli discontinued my tires, so I need a full new set.
    The EBC brake is awesome with new pads and fluid flush, Still need a stainless line however.
    Now that this bike is running correctly this thing is so loud even after repacking the muffler, its annoying. I guess the 426/400 are know for being loud.

Scored a 2005 wr450 stock tank with new shrouds for 40$, was doing some test fitting and ran into some issues. I searched around and could not find an answer to whether or not someone has done this swap before on a WR400/426.
    Does anyone have info on this swap? EDIT: I found that you need the rear subframe too from an 03-06 wr? That an 05 seat wont work with the old rear subframe?

Last edited by LazyWaffleman; 07-04-2016 at 09:13 PM.

All registered and insured. Nevada street legalization is a very easy process, playing with gearing now. This thing is alot of fun on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyWaffleman View Post

WOW, its beautiful🔥

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Roughly 200 miles on the supermoto setup now. Everything is working well except for a leaking fork.

Are you out in Reno? I'm down in Vegas doing the exact conversion on a 99 wr400.

Yea, Im up in Reno.
    Get the 450 carb, makes a world of difference.

Advertisement