SuperMoto Junkie banner

SM450. Plated/not plated?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  asg21 
#1 ·
I was told that it comes plated.

But I see threads here that they are not street legal?

Is it merely signals? I thought it had a break light? Or is that a simple tail light not associated with breaking?

Anyone using this bike for street? (the main reason I want to buy one)

#2 ·
Your dealer can register it as a street bike but you'll still have to get the street gear installed. Unless something has changed, you have two ways of getting it street legal, pay someone like a dealer to install the street gear, or do it yourself. You'll need front and rear brake light switches, turnsignals, horn, handlebar switch, tail light and brake light to be 100% legal. Not too difficult to do yourself if you have some basic bike knowledge and wrenching skills.

#3 ·
Bad Dad said:
I was told that it comes plated.

But I see threads here that they are not street legal?

Is it merely signals? I thought it had a break light? Or is that a simple tail light not associated with breaking?

Anyone using this bike for street? (the main reason I want to buy one)
Rumor control says that the '05s are coming with a two element brake light as well as a rear brake light switch. This rumor is being chased down and confirmed by my local Husky parts manager as well as finding out if one can add Husky's front brake micro switch and slimpy plug it into the existing wiring harness. Other rumors like mirror and a horn will be chased down later.

Nevertheless, the bikes can be plated by your dealer, as Huskysm450r says. :D

#4 ·
Street legal SM450R

All of the things mentioned in the previous post are necessary to comply with the letter of the law in California, but all I asked the shop to do to mine was to install the following:
1. A tail extension (UFO, I believe) with a taillight/brakelight and turn signal lenses (which weren't hooked up) that provide a place to mount a license plate
2. A mirror, and
3. A hidden on/off switch
They also connected the existing brakelight switch (it's already part of the front brake lever assembly).

I also changed the gearing (16/42 instead of 15/45) and added a different exhaust and handlebar, but although that made the bike more fun it wasn't necessary. My shop (GP Motorcycles in San Diego) sold one to a guy in Sacramento who (allegedly) rode it home without doing anything - the point is that "legality" is in the eye of the beholder - I don't have real turn signals, a horn, or a dimmer switch, but I haven't been hassled, and the dealer took care of registration (I received my plate in the mail).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.