SuperMoto Junkie banner

Lost Performance, Need Help. 2006 DRZ400SM

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  GuzziMoto 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

A few months back I purchased a 2006 DRZ400SM. The previous owner told me all the things that have been done to the bike including; full MRD exhaust, re-jetted stock carb I believe, and 3x3 mod. I love the bike it's super fun and fast enough to get the job done.

After having the bike for a few months I decided to start working on it. I wanted to do maintenance first, then protection mods, and then do mods for the looks. I did the oil and coolant, and then I checked the valves and found they were really tight. The spec being: IN: .10 - .20mm, EX: .20 - .30mm. Every valve on my bike was just a hair in spec. The IN valves were 1.02 and the EX valves were 2.1. This was really surprising because the bike only has 9k miles on it. But regardless I re-shimmed the valves so all they were all near the top of their spec. Now my IN are .18 and my EX are .28. After doing the valve adjustment I buttoned everything back up and also just being the extremely cautious person I am, I even did another oil change just in case I lost any oil while taking cams out and whatnot. Only problem is everyone says just dump 2 quarts of oil and it will be fine but I did do that and I'm scared I overfilled it. There is oil way past the full mark on the dip stick. I also installed a MCCT during this process. Anyway, so I took the bike out today for my 30 mile commute. 10 of those miles being on the freeway, and to my surprise my bike does not feel the same.

When riding my DRZ before all of this work was done, the bike felt raw. Is felt super torquey and the second I pulled on the throttle it just went, and the only word I can describe its power is raw in a good way. Around town and on the freeway I NEVER pinned the throttle to max because I never had to, or I was just too scared. After doing all the work that "raw" feeling is gone. The bike feels not nearly as fast when it comes to torque and acceleration. When driving on the freeway today, for the first time I pinned the throttle in a long straight away and after holding it for a decent amount of time I barely crawled to 89 mph. I felt the end of the power band at 80 mph and it just took forever to reach 89. This concerns me because I hear about people reaching 90+ mph on a stock drz.

So I have been thinking about all the things that could be hurting my performance and this is what I have come up with:

1. I overfilled the oil which is causing the crank to work harder which is hurting performance.

2. I went from tight valves to lose valves and that tightness in the valves was making the cams more aggressive which was giving me that "raw" feeling in the power. Which now I no longer have because my valves are at the top of their specs.

3. I Screwed my timing up. After looking at reference pictures I have a doubt that I am 1 tooth off in my timing. Please look at the picture I provided to see mine vs others.

So what do you guys think? Are any of the problems that I brainstormed true or do you think it is something else? Please let me know what you think, any info helps. I really appreciate anyone that took the time to read my whole discussion and post their opinion. Thanks!

Pictures: First one is my cams and the second one is a reference picture. It looks like to me that both of my my cams need to be rotated one tooth to the right. What do you think?

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.