701S pics, upgrades, enhancements, post delivery issues, questions
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 1006

Thread: 701S pics, upgrades, enhancements, post delivery issues, questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default 701S pics, upgrades, enhancements, post delivery issues, questions

    This will be a thread to post pics of your new Husky, issues since you bought the bike, component replacements, upgrades, workarounds, OEM tires, ECU changes, upgrades, etc.

    Tip 1. When you get the cable from your dealer (you shouldn't have to pay for it) there are 3 settings for the ABS. One is ABS on both wheels, another is front wheels only, and last is rear wheel only. I don't recall factory setting but I believe it's front only.

    Tip 2. I got this from a KTM insider: ECU doesn't need much of anything since it's mapped to Europe Enduro, they also state power bandwidth is set pretty high as well.

  2.  
    Advertisement
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Tip 1. When you get the cable from your dealer (you shouldn't have to pay for it) there are 3 settings for the ABS. One is ABS on both wheels, another is front wheels only, and last is rear wheel only. I don't recall factory setting but I believe it's front only.

    Tip 2. I got this from a KTM insider: ECU doesn't need much of anything since it's mapped to Europe Enduro, they also state power bandwidth is set pretty high as well.[/QUOTE]

    Senator can you provide more detail, please?

    Doesn't need much of anything: Does that simply mean that the fueling is not lean from the factory? or is there something else that this refers to?
    ALSO
    Can others confirm that they are getting the ABS dongle for free?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default my future 701 mods

    Changes Planned/Thinking about:

    Already have my Wings.

    Planning the air box and canister delete.

    steering dampener if needed after initial ride.

    Trying to cut weight more than anything. so lithium ion battery, ANY recommendations on which one i should get?

    Crash protection, like frame sliders and axel sliders.

    Gas cap

    reinforced sub frame bolts

    power commander to remap after air box delete..
    I don't think i can find anyone on the islands who can do a reflash of the stock unit and i am not comfortable doing it myself.

    Has anyone considered trying to mount a quick shifter on one?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Great questions jbeez. I'm thinking of the exact same mods for me.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbeez View Post
    Tip 1. When you get the cable from your dealer (you shouldn't have to pay for it) there are 3 settings for the ABS. One is ABS on both wheels, another is front wheels only, and last is rear wheel only. I don't recall factory setting but I believe it's front only.

    Tip 2. I got this from a KTM insider: ECU doesn't need much of anything since it's mapped to Europe Enduro, they also state power bandwidth is set pretty high as well.
    Can't guarantee dongle for ABS is free b
    Senator can you provide more detail, please?

    Doesn't need much of anything: Does that simply mean that the fueling is not lean from the factory? or is there something else that this refers to?
    ALSO
    Can others confirm that they are getting the ABS dongle for free?[/QUOTE]

    Can't confirm free dongle but since it adjusts ABS I'd saw others are not paying for it. The other suggestions I got were most of issues of 690 complaints were adjusted and fixed and got a power boost and better ECU mapping. I can only say what I've heard and that's a great bike overall. I mean after all, the owners so far are really happy. Not much Bitching considering it's a newer bike in many areas. And good looking as well.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Thanks for this Thread bloody annoyed getting my post over flooded by things not related to moding up the bike etc.

    I ordered the new Remus exhaust Race only without catalytic converter optimised to gain performance and more torque. Pretty expensive but cheaper than the akrapovic that has catalytic converter(heavier) AND HAS AN un-removable db killer(removable if you have the tools to drill the carbon fiber

    About the air box I have seen people opening it up more(eliminating side panels or just poking holes into it). Why not just remove the air box all together. Any down side to this?

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    lithium ion battery, i got recommend to buy Antigravity but i have no experience with any lithium ion batteries

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast. QLD. OZ
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbeez View Post
    Changes Planned/Thinking about:

    Already have my Wings.
    .......

    .......

    Trying to cut weight more than anything. so lithium ion battery, ANY recommendations on which one i should get?

    ...

    Has anyone considered trying to mount a quick shifter on one?
    I put a cheap lithium battery in my 690. It's the size designed for the 450s etc (I have one in my 450 as well). So there is room in the repositioned battery box (Airbox removed. EvoII filter) for my iPhone.
    No problems so far. Cranks the bike over better than the big heavy stock battery. I can't remember the brand name right now - common in Australia.

    I put a Quick Shifter on (the 690). (Starline) It's cool and works as advertisedl, but for the riding I like, not really suited. (Sometimes cuts/farts when I'm rev matching on the down shifts or doing a normal up shift (with clutch). The sensitivity needs adjusting if I swap boots - MX boots stiff, road race boots soft.
    I think part of the problem is:with no linkage like a sports bike, it relays on some sort of black magic to sense the torque on the gear stick. (Piezo washer under the bolt!)
    I'm planning on taking it off and fitting it to my race bike. (525SM)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    '17Husqvarna 701SM. KTMs-'06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default airbox mods

    I have been doing a lot of reading on the KTM threads and here is best information I can find. Granted, its for an older 690 but it would appear that the air box has not changed that much since 2008.

    It would appear that the air box delete, "no air box RU17500" (red) has more power over the whole range, when compared to stock (blue). "-airbox lid" (green) has more mid range than both, but less top end than either.

    I would take the overall improvement (red) over the Stronger midrange at the expense of top end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default Rally Raid gas cap and a good mirror option

    Has anyone found a USA source for this?
    It seems like Rally Raid is the only company that makes it with the SAS hose attachment deleted.

    ALSO

    I'm looking for a good option for a mirror that will use stock mounts. Something someone has bought and loved.
    I just want a single (left) one.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbeez View Post
    Has anyone found a USA source for this?
    It seems like Rally Raid is the only company that makes it with the SAS hose attachment deleted.

    ALSO

    I'm looking for a good option for a mirror that will use stock mounts. Something someone has bought and loved.
    I just want a single (left) one.
    what is the mod exactly? Just a different air filter box?

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default Air box delete

    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    what is the mod exactly? Just a different air filter box?
    Removing the air box and putting only a K&N filter. cuts about 5 POUNDS! off the bike.

    the one you can buy is the EVOII kit and looks like this when done...(top)


    OR home made (Bottom image)



    Lots of how to videos on you tube for the KTM 690. same thing BUT i have not decided if i am going to buy a the kit or the more DIY route. ANY opinions from you guys?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    931

    Default

    I've had great luck with Shorai batteries, an LFX14-L2 has never given me any problems (in 3+ years) in my SV1000.
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc
    2002 YZ426F/448 supermoto - Behr/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbeez View Post
    Removing the air box and putting only a K&N filter. cuts about 5 POUNDS! off the bike.

    the one you can buy is the EVOII kit and looks like this when done...(top)


    OR home made (Bottom image)



    Lots of how to videos on you tube for the KTM 690. same thing BUT i have not decided if i am going to buy a the kit or the more DIY route. ANY opinions from you guys?
    Not that expensive for the k&n filter, but does it full fit for the 701? Also that evoII kit what is it exactly? an air filter too ? In that case what should I get? k&N or the evoII kit?

    K&N filter for the ktm690smcr is for year 2012, do i have to worry about it? Also

    Running with only k&n filter is harmful or is it designed to handle it without the airbox?
    Last edited by Air; 03-29-2016 at 08:56 AM.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    931

    Default

    I'd expect fueling to be a little off with no airbox but otherwise it should be ok unless there's a crankcase vent going to it or something.
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc
    2002 YZ426F/448 supermoto - Behr/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Has anyone been able to verify if the K&N air filter for the 690 will fit the 701 as well? I'm picking mine up from the dealership on Saturday. Thanks guys! Also have you guys been able to find any exhausts or power commanders that fit them?

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default exhaust

    On the Husky website they show 2 slip ons for the 701Supermoto:

    1. Akropvic
    2. FMF Team Blue Factory carbon fibre and titanium.

    The first one is legal on most streets.
    The FMF is for off road use. When I searched 701S partd using a PC it wouldn't show the FMF pipe (as mentioned previously.
    When I use my phone's browser it comes up. It's a nice looking slip on but I bet it's at least illegal in CA but not certain where else. Considering the amount of noisy HD and other bikes I hear on the roads, I don't think the FMF will get you pulled over, not to mention it's nearly impossible to know if it's illegal. If they impound it or look carefully, all bets are off. I know there's a warning sticker on most new FMFs but don't recall if it's a sticker or engraved on the pipe itself.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    It's pretty easy to tell if it is illegal in the state of California. If it doesn't have the make and model of the bike stamped on the side of it, along with all the legal mumbo jumbo it is illegal. CARB has empowered the CHP to enforce motorcycle emissions seeing how CARB couldn't get the state to do emissions testing on MCs every other year, treadmill, visual all the hoops. BLM will also check for your canister and air pump if you try to enter a BLM area. So, yes your brand new shiny 701s have Husqvarna and 701 stamped in 1 inch high letters. Not quite sure on the height but close enough. I know it is done all the time, fitting FMFs, or what not, to anything with two wheels. Alot of dealerships will not do it because of the potential CARB fine. Chaparral here reports your VIN to CARB when buying an exhaust, and yes they take it from your registration. Local police can only do noise checks.

    We must...We must...increase our boost

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    94

    Default

    I'm interested in the potential of the stock ECU unit on this bike. It seems to be the same as the one used in the 690 SMC-R. I would love to mess around with it and maybe even build an Android app for switching maps/checking codes.

    1. Has anyone been able to successfully use the KTM USB-OBD cable + TuneECU to get any readings from the onboard computer?

    (cable) http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/KTM.html
    (apk) https://www.apkfiles.com/apk-478338/tuneecu

    2. What resources do we have available for the Keihin LC4I002 unit? Google hasn't been very useful, I just found a bunch of used listings on eBay. I'm more concerned with schematics, tools, etc.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    On the Husky website they show 2 slip ons for the 701Supermoto:

    1. Akropvic
    2. FMF Team Blue Factory carbon fibre and titanium.

    The first one is legal on most streets.
    The FMF is for off road use. When I searched 701S partd using a PC it wouldn't show the FMF pipe (as mentioned previously.
    When I use my phone's browser it comes up. It's a nice looking slip on but I bet it's at least illegal in CA but not certain where else. Considering the amount of noisy HD and other bikes I hear on the roads, I don't think the FMF will get you pulled over, not to mention it's nearly impossible to know if it's illegal. If they impound it or look carefully, all bets are off. I know there's a warning sticker on most new FMFs but don't recall if it's a sticker or engraved on the pipe itself.
    I asked my dealer and an American dealer and they said the FMF doesn't fit the 701(it's just listed as part of new release items)

  23. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default another intake option?

    Rottweiler has an intake system for the Ktm 690 Enduro.. Not sure if it fits but i will see how it progresses in its testing and give them a call in a few months.
    Its expensive but looks pretty high quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default micro fische link

    from adv riders website

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2oe21y0ml...12016.pdf?dl=0

    basically MOST parts for the 701 have the same part numbers as the 690
    he checked the ones that are the same.
    the motor is exact except the covers so he didn't include it.
    Last edited by Jbeez; 04-01-2016 at 11:58 PM.

  25. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    I switched to Advanced mode form Standard mode 2 days ago. The motor definitely feels more responsive , throttle is more sensitive. Next step waiting for my Remus to be delivered (10 working days)
    Edit: It's not a huge difference but a needed difference standard had a slower pick up.
    Last edited by Air; 04-03-2016 at 05:12 PM.

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    94

    Default

    My bike is up for it's first service and I have a couple of questions:

    1. Have anybody performed the 1000km service themselves yet? I'm fairly confident in being able to take care of everything besides scanning the ECU for fault codes since I don't have a scan tool on hand.

    2. Additionally, has anyone changed the fuel filter? The manual does a wonderful job of not showing me where it's located... Is it in-tank or inline? Seems like the consensus from the internet is that the stock filter is not good enough to filter the small particles and an additional inline filter is recommended - does anyone have any suggestions on brand/type?
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  27. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusky View Post
    I'm interested in the potential of the stock ECU unit on this bike. It seems to be the same as the one used in the 690 SMC-R. I would love to mess around with it and maybe even build an Android app for switching maps/checking codes.

    1. Has anyone been able to successfully use the KTM USB-OBD cable + TuneECU to get any readings from the onboard computer?

    (cable) http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/KTM.html
    (apk) https://www.apkfiles.com/apk-478338/tuneecu

    2. What resources do we have available for the Keihin LC4I002 unit? Google hasn't been very useful, I just found a bunch of used listings on eBay. I'm more concerned with schematics, tools, etc.
    I wish people wouldn't spread misinformation or repost something they found on a random Google search.

    KTM wanted to land Husqvarna squarely on its feet after BMW went down the wrong path with it during the global recession. They are trying to keep Husqvarna intact with their original Swedish engineering crew and content. Designs all came out of Kiska for the 701Supermoto and Enduro. They wisely kept the Husky colors with some fun with bright colors, and even refer back to its founding in 1903. Before Kiska, which is a in house company design team, Derestricted designed the gorgeous KTM and Husqvarna designs for the prior 7-8 years. As time went on you could see they created graphics which other manufacturers "borrowed."

    Husqvarna has made major upgrades to its ECU and has several mapping choices. Some hidden. You can change settings from red light to red light. You can even pick from about 4 different ABS settings. It's has a slipper clutch. The vibrations and other annoying distractions on the older 690s are resolved or are much better on the 701. The triple clamp is way more robust and effective. The bike is smooth but powerful and capable of throwing anyone of its seat. Those who haven't ridden the 701 yet doesn't really know how to make comparisons from a a decade old 690 Austrian engine. KTM is now a privately held corporation with most of its recent partners brought in house and paid with paychecks signed by KTM. Now they are able to control their own destiny without unneeded outside influences or distractions.

    With that said, the CA edition will most likely have the worst of the problems (if there are any at all that are showstoppers) because most of the settings had to be neutered in order to pass the very restrictive emissions regulations. Every bike I've owned for the past 10+ years is completely different from the 49-state bikes. From KTM, to Ducati, to Honda and back to Husqvarna, my friends in the other states have much more solid bikes out of the box. Even cars and trucks I drive have way less BHP than advertised because of the taxing smog emissions parts and computer settings mandated within the CA borders. CHP used to have unsmogged cars, even that has changed. I lived on the east coat and Texas for a while and the bikes just rip it on the first start. That's why the 1st and 2nd things you do to a Cali bike is rip out all the emissions lock downs (de-smog) then get the gearing to a setting that gives you more power off the line and ECU mapping.

    Wow, I wrote all that and won't even see a check in the mail from KTM.

    If you got em, smoke em!

  28. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Pretty sure all north American 701"s are the same spec as the California editions .

  29. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    I got strongly recommended to do this, a cheap DIY mode, no regrets ! Credits to : Ald.
    I shaved it better than he did tho to make it look more professional lol. Seriously guys now it really actually sounds like a true thumper. Remus is coming next week and the police will probably stop me for noise violation hehe :banana:
    Edit: forgot to mention that the bike feels more free now like an angry cat unleashed! (not very angry but yeah horny angry)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Air; 04-06-2016 at 09:41 AM.

  30. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinter 27 View Post
    Pretty sure all north American 701"s are the same spec as the California editions .
    I don't think so but one way to check is to look at emissions etching on the frame of the bike.
    If non CA state bikes don't mention CARB approval, that is a 49-state bike. If they all have the CARB disclaimer, than that is a CA bike, and is allowed anywhere in the US. That also means there would be 2 versions of the 701. That's right. It also means if you bring a non CARB approved bike, you can't register or drive it in CA. Ugh!

    Anyone in a non Cali state care to post a good pic of your emissions sticker?

  31. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    I got strongly recommended to do this, a cheap DIY mode, no regrets ! Credits to : Ald.
    I shaved it better than he did tho to make it look more professional lol. Seriously guys now it really actually sounds like a true thumper. Remus is coming next week and the police will probably stop me for noise violation hehe :banana:
    Edit: forgot to mention that the bike feels more free now like an angry cat unleashed! (not very angry but yeah horny angry)
    I think I missed something Air. What did you shave?

  32. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    I don't think so but one way to check is to look at emissions etching on the frame of the bike.
    If non CA state bikes don't mention CARB approval, that is a 49-state bike. If they all have the CARB disclaimer, than that is a CA bike, and is allowed anywhere in the US. That also means there would be 2 versions of the 701. That's right. It also means if you bring a non CARB approved bike, you can't register or drive it in CA. Ugh!

    Anyone in a non Cali state care to post a good pic of your emissions sticker?
    non-CA compliant vehicles can be registered in CA as long as they aren't considered "new", meaning 7500mi minimum. If you try before that, they'll be blacklisted. My WR450 was plated that way (came in from TX with 7600mi).
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc
    2002 YZ426F/448 supermoto - Behr/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

  33. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    I think I missed something Air. What did you shave?
    I shaved and smoothed out the cut edges to smooth things out and make it look professional , I will post mine when i get the chance. Ald's air box pics i shared were a little bit cut in a hurry or something. Further modifications will be done when i get a more scientific way to do it

  34. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    1,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    I shaved and smoothed out the cut edges to smooth things out and make it look professional , I will post mine when i get the chance. Ald's air box pics i shared were a little bit cut in a hurry or something. Further modifications will be done when i get a more scientific way to do it
    Seems like a whole lot more air than it could ever use.
    I removed the snorkel and popped a few holes in the airbox of my 630, but that was much more restrictive. Why bother with a lid at all at that point?
    '11 Husqvarna 630SMS (opened up, gutted and JD tuned)

  35. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
    Seems like a whole lot more air than it could ever use.
    I removed the snorkel and popped a few holes in the airbox of my 630, but that was much more restrictive. Why bother with a lid at all at that point?
    Just extra protection from some rain and dirt until i upgrade it to a full open system. I didn't cut like Ald did near the stock intake tube. Even tho it's european it was very restricted to the point it sounded like a single choking. (this air box looks like a snell with it's shell mostly (opened now) while the neck of the snell itself used to be the only source of intake, by which Ald also made an extra opening there too, which I didn't do((most right opening in the picture attached)) )

    Edit: No real science behind it but if people can't afford a good sounding exhaust at this time, this mod will make your air box 3 times more loud (sweet sound) than the stock exhaust which is funny and to ride with that extra punch.

    Any input on making it more efficient is appreciated tho
    Last edited by Air; 04-07-2016 at 10:06 AM.

  36. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Well received my GPR Ghisa exhaust yesterday and I have to say I'm pretty damn disappointed with it! Scratches all over it and not even a brand tag on it. Just a black hunk of crappy Lookin' pipe :/
    Attached Images Attached Images

  37. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer27 View Post
    Well received my GPR Ghisa exhaust yesterday and I have to say I'm pretty damn disappointed with it! Scratches all over it and not even a brand tag on it. Just a black hunk of crappy Lookin' pipe :/
    How did you buy it?
    I'm buying my remus from an official dealer in my country (my only choice as it's a new pipe that didn't appear yet on eBay)

  38. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12

  39. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer27 View Post
    Easy call them and complain and ask for a new one.

  40. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I wish it was that easy...I'm in Canada they are in Italy I don't speck Italiano and only contact info is by email. Good times...
    :/

  41. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    I don't think so but one way to check is to look at emissions etching on the frame of the bike.
    If non CA state bikes don't mention CARB approval, that is a 49-state bike. If they all have the CARB disclaimer, than that is a CA bike, and is allowed anywhere in the US. That also means there would be 2 versions of the 701. That's right. It also means if you bring a non CARB approved bike, you can't register or drive it in CA. Ugh!

    Anyone in a non Cali state care to post a good pic of your emissions sticker?
    This is the pic I posted in the other thread, the bike was purchased in Washington. It's been plated in California for 2 weeks. No issues, they're all 50 state bikes.


  42. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    I wish people wouldn't spread misinformation or repost something they found on a random Google search.

    KTM wanted to land Husqvarna squarely on its feet after BMW went down the wrong path with it during the global recession. They are trying to keep Husqvarna intact with their original Swedish engineering crew and content. Designs all came out of Kiska for the 701Supermoto and Enduro. They wisely kept the Husky colors with some fun with bright colors, and even refer back to its founding in 1903. Before Kiska, which is a in house company design team, Derestricted designed the gorgeous KTM and Husqvarna designs for the prior 7-8 years. As time went on you could see they created graphics which other manufacturers "borrowed."

    Husqvarna has made major upgrades to its ECU and has several mapping choices. Some hidden. You can change settings from red light to red light. You can even pick from about 4 different ABS settings. It's has a slipper clutch. The vibrations and other annoying distractions on the older 690s are resolved or are much better on the 701. The triple clamp is way more robust and effective. The bike is smooth but powerful and capable of throwing anyone of its seat. Those who haven't ridden the 701 yet doesn't really know how to make comparisons from a a decade old 690 Austrian engine. KTM is now a privately held corporation with most of its recent partners brought in house and paid with paychecks signed by KTM. Now they are able to control their own destiny without unneeded outside influences or distractions.

    With that said, the CA edition will most likely have the worst of the problems (if there are any at all that are showstoppers) because most of the settings had to be neutered in order to pass the very restrictive emissions regulations. Every bike I've owned for the past 10+ years is completely different from the 49-state bikes. From KTM, to Ducati, to Honda and back to Husqvarna, my friends in the other states have much more solid bikes out of the box. Even cars and trucks I drive have way less BHP than advertised because of the taxing smog emissions parts and computer settings mandated within the CA borders. CHP used to have unsmogged cars, even that has changed. I lived on the east coat and Texas for a while and the bikes just rip it on the first start. That's why the 1st and 2nd things you do to a Cali bike is rip out all the emissions lock downs (de-smog) then get the gearing to a setting that gives you more power off the line and ECU mapping.

    Wow, I wrote all that and won't even see a check in the mail from KTM.

    If you got em, smoke em!
    I don't see anything I listed as misinformation. Sure, the software/firmware on the ECU may be different but it's definitely the same hardware. The other tweaks that the 690 platform got I am completely aware of. Like I said, what I'm interested in is to be able to play around with this ECU and am looking for guidance regarding how to interface with it.

  43. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Hey Rusty, my post wasn't aimed at you, it's just where the post ended up. I was also referring to the topic in a general manner.

    But I continue to read info from people who still own/ride a KTM from 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, etc etc and think a 2016 Husqvarna will accept the same parts. And there are tons of subforums (which sucks because we need to consolidate some of these forums) where riders are taking advice like use a K&M filter from a 690SMR or whatever and shove it in your 701 after de-smogging it. States like CA never sold most of those special edition bikes, esp in the KTM racing models. Even the 2016 Duke 690 "R" model will not be sold in CA.

    I was in another forum and a rider tried the K&N filter suggestion for his new 701SM and the frame was too small to fit.
    If people actually read the 701S bike guide it mentions several changes that are nothing like the 690. Unless someone who actually owns a 690 and has the 701 and did the work, guessing that "it will work" or "should work" is not benefiting riders trying to get on their bikes and ride them instead of hanging out at post office trying to return parts that won't fit.

  44. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Regarding the ECU there are some other options. I don't know exactly what they are but you'll either need a dealer with access to it who can make the change or someone else who has a work around and knows what they're doing. A Husqvarna pro rider told me its possible but it wasn't going to be something made public.
    And if you find out those killer ECU settings/mappings, make sure it's public info, at least on SMJ

  45. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    How did you buy it?
    I'm buying my remus from an official dealer in my country (my only choice as it's a new pipe that didn't appear yet on eBay)
    Man that sucks. I like that there is a different option than just Remus. I bought GPRs for my Ducati Monster and they sounded great (super loud) but I didn't like that the end was more squared looking than the nice circular OEM pipes on the Ducati.

    Regarding the finish of the pipes, that really sucks. Mine where in better condition but had a different outside material so it didn't show scratches as easily.

    The exhaust is going to be a big issues. Maybe we need a new thread for it?

  46. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oklota View Post
    This is the pic I posted in the other thread, the bike was purchased in Washington. It's been plated in California for 2 weeks. No issues, they're all 50 state bikes.

    Ok, thanks for posting OKLOTA. I'm not trying to call anyone out, just trying to figure out more info.

    Someone posted the actual CARB approval (.pdf form signed) allowing these to be sold in CA, which meant that pipe inscription on yours was either done assuming CA approval was certain or that was added to the bike AFTER CA approval. It was only approved on March 22, 2016 so if your bike was purchased before March 22nd, then I'm calling BS with the whole system. I might as well get one from WA or AZ and just truck it back home.

  47. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    Ok, thanks for posting OKLOTA. I'm not trying to call anyone out, just trying to figure out more info.

    Someone posted the actual CARB approval (.pdf form signed) allowing these to be sold in CA, which meant that pipe inscription on yours was either done assuming CA approval was certain or that was added to the bike AFTER CA approval. It was only approved on March 22, 2016 so if your bike was purchased before March 22nd, then I'm calling BS with the whole system. I might as well get one from WA or AZ and just truck it back home.
    Yeah I saw that, no idea what that's used for? Who knows... What I do know is the bike had a CA emissions sticker on the frame before March 22nd, so all of the bikes are at least tagged as 50 state bikes.

    Anyway, if you can't find a bike in California, buy one from out of state. I had no problems plating mine!

    Hope that helps!

  48. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer27 View Post
    Well received my GPR Ghisa exhaust yesterday and I have to say I'm pretty damn disappointed with it! Scratches all over it and not even a brand tag on it. Just a black hunk of crappy Lookin' pipe :/
    Boy oh boy, I'd be learning Italian real quick to give them a piece of my mind. I see the GPR for my bike on eBay all the time. Might have to rethink that.

    Looks like a recycled Franklin stove pipe.

  49. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    Boy oh boy, I'd be learning Italian real quick to give them a piece of my mind. I see the GPR for my bike on eBay all the time. Might have to rethink that.

    Looks like a recycled Franklin stove pipe.
    hehe imagine Remus does the same for me, i will never believe it hehe. Can't wait for next week to find out!

  50. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    Ok, thanks for posting OKLOTA. I'm not trying to call anyone out, just trying to figure out more info.

    Someone posted the actual CARB approval (.pdf form signed) allowing these to be sold in CA, which meant that pipe inscription on yours was either done assuming CA approval was certain or that was added to the bike AFTER CA approval. It was only approved on March 22, 2016 so if your bike was purchased before March 22nd, then I'm calling BS with the whole system. I might as well get one from WA or AZ and just truck it back home.
    Before submitting the application for certification, the manufacturer conducts their own preliminary testing based on a preview of the ARB certification plan for the upcoming model year. ARB then may schedule confirmatory testing of the manufacturers test vehicle which allows the manufacturer to continue on schedule with marketing plans before the executive order is signed. Once the executive order is signed the vehicle is legal for sale in California.

  51. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12

    Default

    It seems I'm missing something here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  52. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer27 View Post
    It seems I'm missing something here...
    What mirror have you got on yours Jer?

  53.  
    Advertisement
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •