701S pics, upgrades, enhancements, post delivery issues, questions - Page 19
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: 701S pics, upgrades, enhancements, post delivery issues, questions

Quote Originally Posted by DTM74 View Post
    When I took mine on the highway for the 1st time, I had a couple false neutrals going into 6th...it was disconcerting. I've had a couple more going from neutral to first...but they sort of went away. I'm just glad after 1,000 miles my bike doesn't burn a drop of oil.
    Same with me.

At first when going into 6th it would go into neutral. It doesn't happen anymore. But I do sometimes have it stick in gear when it shows that it's in neutral. Minor issues. Still a great bike in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Default Seat 2.0

Did anyone try the new seat that comes with the newest 17 units?

The old one looks better imho, but the new one seems more comfy

Quote Originally Posted by hasibii View Post

That's weird, mine did not come with that seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Aspired View Post
    17 701

Dies all to often, not really happy with the fuel injection flame outs!. Looks like not a new issue from 690's I see posts on. Is there no idle adjustment knob? I mean it idles right but best I can do is increase the idle and see if still flames out. Happens usually under the same circumstances, down shifting, clutch in and blip the throttle quick then dies. I think just once it killed without the throttle blip but was still coming to a stop. Dealer had nothing short of bring it in, no flash update or others called in on.

That and false neutrals are pretty disappointing, how many false neutrals can a bike have?
    The shift mechanism is designed for the rigors of racing and MX boots. The false neutrals will go away as long as you are extra firm and quick. If you lase-faire a shift - it's most certainly going to cause your neutrals to go up.

There is a replacement after-market design - You'll find a discussion in around page 10 or so - also a letter from KTM.

The dying on the highway is not normal. Idle adjust wouldn't help you. Take it to the dealer - That's not normal. I clutch in - downshift (1-2-3 gears), blip in and un-clutch all day long with no mechanical sympathy and it's all good.

Your bike may have caught a bug in the factory or have a kink in a line somewhere.

I ran out of gas on the highway yesterday - and it was like you described - could run and then gas would cause the bike to starve and shut off.
    --
    2016 Husqvarna 701 Supermoto..............| https://flic.kr/p/H9QJ1T
    1993 Harley-Davidson FXRS-SP Custom....| https://flic.kr/p/HfS2Yc

Quote Originally Posted by Juandag78 View Post

Actually I'm not german, I live in Germany though But I agree with you, it is good to know, that I'm not the only one who have to stick to the german laws, you have more experience than I have.
    And did you mean, when I have the Exhaust? I'm not going to buy it in the next 2 months, I want to wait a little more for Remus, maybe they will do something for the 701 also.
    Remus have a tailpipe for the 701. Its been available for a while.

WTH? Mine didn't come with one. Looks more comfortable and more grip.
    '17 Husky 701 SM
    '16 GSX-S1000
    '14 FZ-09 (sold)
    '08 WR250X (sold)
    '01 SV650 (sold)

Just picked up my 17! It came with that seat and it's very comfy compared to my other bikes which feel like a 2x4.
    Love this bike!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 Husqvarna TE300
    09 Husqvarna SMR510
    09 Husqvarna TE310
    08 Husqvarna SMR510
    06 Yamaha yfz450f

What kind of material is that new seat made of?

New seat looks better than my old (5 rides? 2017) seat.

Maybe I'll get a new one. Been promised a new sticker :(
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    '17Husqvarna 701SM. KTMs-'06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Salazar316 View Post
    That's weird, mine did not come with that seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So now there is a 3rd seat? Looks more comfy but yeah maybe not as flashy. I like it though, figure is just the cover change, still hard underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by ram9cc View Post
    The shift mechanism is designed for the rigors of racing and MX boots. The false neutrals will go away as long as you are extra firm and quick. If you lase-faire a shift - it's most certainly going to cause your neutrals to go up.

There is a replacement after-market design - You'll find a discussion in around page 10 or so - also a letter from KTM.

The dying on the highway is not normal. Idle adjust wouldn't help you. Take it to the dealer - That's not normal. I clutch in - downshift (1-2-3 gears), blip in and un-clutch all day long with no mechanical sympathy and it's all good.

Your bike may have caught a bug in the factory or have a kink in a line somewhere.

I ran out of gas on the highway yesterday - and it was like you described - could run and then gas would cause the bike to starve and shut off.

Ok thanks, couldn't find flame out for anything past the early 690's. First I thought I just had some bad gas as cleared up after that tank but happened again later with another tank. Was going to check injector or filter. If stops raining or can at least leave not in the rain I'll drop by the dealer or load up and bring over if I really have to or they need longer. Mostly I could adapt my 2 stroke tendencies and probably not have a issue but it's not right.

Yeah you certainly have to pull hard into 6th, you can feel it notch past the false neutral, she's chunky! It's no Honda tranny but is slightly better than was before first 2 oil changes. I tried dropping the shifter arm but is then not comfortable but did give me better leverage into 6th.

This is a huge thread, i'll check through some more as see some good info. I seen a old fix for the 690's maybe that's the same thing, was another or different spring that was changed out but not finding the URL again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspired View Post
    Ok thanks, couldn't find flame out for anything past the early 690's. First I thought I just had some bad gas as cleared up after that tank but happened again later with another tank. Was going to check injector or filter. If stops raining or can at least leave not in the rain I'll drop by the dealer or load up and bring over if I really have to or they need longer. Mostly I could adapt my 2 stroke tendencies and probably not have a issue but it's not right.

Yeah you certainly have to pull hard into 6th, you can feel it notch past the false neutral, she's chunky! It's no Honda tranny but is slightly better than was before first 2 oil changes. I tried dropping the shifter arm but is then not comfortable but did give me better leverage into 6th.

This is a huge thread, i'll check through some more as see some good info. I seen a old fix for the 690's maybe that's the same thing, was another or different spring that was changed out but not finding the URL again.

Good luck with the fueling issue..

Factory Pro is the cat that makes the shift detent lever for a 690.. He was not happy with the LC4 shifter and wanted something that would be easy and smooth instead of needing a kick like it was a tractor.

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages...,new_prod1.htm
    --

Good luck with the fueling issue..

Factory Pro is the cat that makes the shift detent lever for a 690.. He was not happy with the LC4 shifter and wanted something that would be easy and smooth instead of needing a kick like it was a tractor.

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages...,new_prod1.htm
    Awesome thanks, was still looking for. Looks like what I found before and shows listed for the 2017 Husky so ordered one. Worth $150 to shift even 50% better.

Sounds like a easy install

I fitted a factory pro Shifter with the ceramic bearing.
    Couldn't notice any difference.

The heavier spring that came with the kit was, IMHO, very poorly made. The coils were spread apart. So it would "drag" and prevent the return. AKA - "doesn't work". It was suggested that installing washers to overcome this could work.
    1. I couldn't be bothered pulling it apart again to try.
    2. A poorly made spring, overcome with a stack of washers, doesn't fit with my idea of "Factory".

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    I fitted a factory pro Shifter with the ceramic bearing.
    Couldn't notice any difference.

The heavier spring that came with the kit was, IMHO, very poorly made. The coils were spread apart. So it would "drag" and prevent the return. AKA - "doesn't work". It was suggested that installing washers to overcome this could work.
    1. I couldn't be bothered pulling it apart again to try.
    2. A poorly made spring, overcome with a stack of washers, doesn't fit with my idea of "Factory".

That sounds like a disappointing experience - what is the idea around the washers? Did you end up not using the spring due to it draging?
    --

That sounds like a disappointing experience - what is the idea around the washers? Did you end up not using the spring due to it draging?
    It was a disappointing experience.
    Not only was it a relatively expensive "top quality"part, and, as always expense shipping to Australia. The supplier showed little concern, no offer of a replacement and suggested heating it up and bending it.

This is when I lost confidence in the company, and part.

I know enough to know I'm not capable of correctly tempering a spring which has been hot enough to reshape.

It was a while ago, but my memory was: replacing the stock spring with the supplied spring resulted in the gear lever not returning. This was due the extra width of the spring creating friction/dragging/jamming.

From memory there was a sleeve the shift detent arm ran on. This also located spring, with a large washer. (should be floating under it, not under tension)
    It was suggested that I try spacing the large washer that retained the spring, with small washers, essentially increasing the length of the shaft to accommodate the poorly manufactured spring. Again from memory, I was briefly entertaining using a correspondingly longer bolt.

It just rubbed me the wrong way to "bodge" it up, when the whole aim was to improve it with "Factory" parts.

Seemed like getting a carbon fiber replacement for a plastic part, but having to hold it on with zip ties.

I fitted the ceramic bearing equipped detent arm, stock spring, no noticeable improvement in shift action.

Swap foot brake level - 9 €

Default Fun day at the dyno

The first (red) run is with the open pipe, EvoII air filter, all the pollution crap removed, the O2 sensor disabled and the "Power Comander V" loaded with the supplied map. (Turned out to be a bit rich in the mid range. For local conditions Used BP98 fuel. (Best pump fuel in Aussie 98 RON)

So a nice improvement

Unfortunately I never got a stock base run. As We know, Husky claim 74hp, for the "most powerful production single cylinder bike sold".

The dyno guy fixed the high rpm power dip, which he claimed "looked worse than it would feel" with some ignition advance mainly.

Can't wait to wheelstand it up some back roads!

I bought the R&G Tail Tidy kit with a couple of their LED Euro-style blinkers. I know I need to fix the flashing rate now. 2 questions: Where is the relay located, and does anyone have a recommendation as to a good replacement to buy? I see some that are just a 2-prong plug in, others seem to have a pigtail coming out leading to a small connector. I'm not sure which I need. There are tons of options, but I'm curious if anyone has better luck with one than another.

Also, I bought the BikeLitez kit last year but didn't like the look once I got it (never installed it on the bike). I'd be interested in selling it. I got him to send me a standard plate holder bracket rather than the one that tucks the plate way up underneath. That one is only ASKING for trouble!

The first (red) run is with the open pipe, EvoII air filter, all the pollution crap removed, the O2 sensor disabled and the "Power Comander V" loaded with the supplied map. (Turned out to be a bit rich in the mid range. For local conditions Used BP98 fuel. (Best pump fuel in Aussie 98 RON)

So a nice improvement

Unfortunately I never got a stock base run. As We know, Husky claim 74hp, for the "most powerful production single cylinder bike sold".

The dyno guy fixed the high rpm power dip, which he claimed "looked worse than it would feel" with some ignition advance mainly.

My 2016 model is rated at 67Hp at the crank. On the dyno it put out 60Hp at the wheel, roughly 10% of drive train loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico67590 View Post
    My 2016 model is rated at 67Hp at the crank. On the dyno it put out 60Hp at the wheel, roughly 10% of drive train loss.
    It's well known that power ratings are in this order:

At the rear wheel.
    At the crank.
    At the brochure. (Crank power, "corrected for sales effect".)

The most honest factory would likely test 10 engines and quote the highest outcome on the brochure.
    Less honest ones would maybe "fettle" or hand assemble an engine and test/quote that.
    I'm sure some would just lie.

The measured RWHP varies widely between dynos and even technique I understand. Same bike/dyno/operator will produce different results as atmospheric conditions change. (Why they are listed on the bottom of my print out)

I should take my bike back on a high atmospheric pressure day in the middle of winter. I should get the extra .22hp I need to crack 80HP! LOL

The guys I took my bike to have a great reputation. I'm hoping the figure is pretty honest and accurate. They were well impressed with the bike! As am I.

Hello everyone,

Picked me up a 701SM last week and just getting around to riding it since it has been pouring rain. I re-dialed the clickers on the forks and rebound and dampening screws on the rear shock, but I guess you have to pull the shock to adjust the pre-load. There is really no sense in doing that since I can tell pretty much right away that I need a heavier spring. Question is, what one?

I am about 200lbs in my birthday suit + leathers and boots, and I wear a backpack for commuting with my laptop and stuff in it. I called Slavens Racing twice today to try and get someone on the phone that could tell me what weight spring I need, but both times the guy I needed to talk to was busy. Messages left and no return call. So, perhaps someone here can help?

Looking at these springs here: http://slavensracing.com/shop/shock-...m-for-ktm-690/

Also, I don't have a skid plate yet. But, I need to get the weight off the swingarm to change the spring. The oil pan looks like they have flattened it to support the bike on a stand, but is that the case? Can I /should I lift the rear up this way?

Thanks!

Default dyno

So a nice improvement

I just ordered a PC5 for my 701(2017) I have the wings already and have a evo 1 lid on the shelf. Is your bike a 17? are you running a stock air filter? Are your dyno numbers at the crank or rear wheel? Are you running with the baffle in the wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn 141 View Post
    I just ordered a PC5 for my 701(2017) I have the wings already and have a evo 1 lid on the shelf. Is your bike a 17? are you running a stock air filter? Are your dyno numbers at the crank or rear wheel? Are you running with the baffle in the wings?
    Mines a 2017.
    Run in "properly", with the emphasis on good ring seal.
    1500km (930miles)
    One oil change, using Motul 5100 10w50. At 1000km (600m) (Planning on going to full synthetic at the next change)
    98 RON pump gas. The best commonly available in Australia.
    Mods:
    Rottweiler decat/desmog/O2 sensor eliminator
    KTM "EVO II air cleaner. Which is a K&N pod filter straight on the throttle body. Battery relocated.
    Stock header. Wings muffler. No baffle.
    PCV. The custom map was the reason for the dyno visit. The red line was the Rottweiler supplied map.
    Measured at the rear wheel.

I rode the bike today. I'm very happy.
    I'd say it fuels a little cleaner (it actually flamed out a few times previously. Might have been my fault.) and has a little mid range boost compared to the previous map, which seemed a lot better than stock, but was installed with the pipe, desmog kit and air filter.

Interestingly, the bike no longer feels over geared. I think it's down to the midrange increase and the better fueling. It feels "happy" in top at 100km/h (60mph) now. And accelerates strongly from there.
    It's quite a difference from stock.

Wish I could get a tacho working.

If you run a PCV, is it not possible to add the screen to it and have things like rpm and gear position shown on that?
    I think it's called the pod300?

Default sprocket

Does anyone make a 44 tooth rear sprocket for the 701?? I cant seem to find one.

Post Not Here

Quote Originally Posted by deeyup View Post
    Remus have a tailpipe for the 701. Its been available for a while.
    Yes! But it is not legal for the Husqvarna 701, at least here in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by deeyup View Post
    If you run a PCV, is it not possible to add the screen to it and have things like rpm and gear position shown on that?
    I think it's called the pod300?
    Yo Skypig, this is what you need and I want:

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...d-300.aspx#ddl
    2017 Husqvqrna 701 Supermoto Bought New
    1980 Jawa/GM 500 Speedway Bike Bought Used]
    2007 CRF150RB Sold to pay taxes
    2004 CRF100F Bought Used
    2009 Ducati 1198S Bought Used

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn 141 View Post
    Does anyone make a 44 tooth rear sprocket for the 701?? I cant seem to find one.
    I've successfully run a JT Sprockets JTR897.44 and .45 steel rear. It's a KTM690 sprocket I think. Bought mine on Amazon. Both fit with stock chain, you have to flip the adjuster blocks 180 degrees to do it. I like both, but have been riding the 45 for a while now. I like it better for city and hoonin', but in the canyons I sometimes wonder if I'd prefer the 44t I originally tried (might go back for a while on next tire change).
    Last edited by Taynt3d; 5 Days Ago at 06:59 AM.

Advertisement
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819