SuperMoto Junkie banner

701S pics, upgrades, enhancements, post delivery issues, questions

337K views 2K replies 148 participants last post by  the.tru.albertan 
#1 ·
This will be a thread to post pics of your new Husky, issues since you bought the bike, component replacements, upgrades, workarounds, OEM tires, ECU changes, upgrades, etc.

Tip 1. When you get the cable from your dealer (you shouldn't have to pay for it) there are 3 settings for the ABS. One is ABS on both wheels, another is front wheels only, and last is rear wheel only. I don't recall factory setting but I believe it's front only.

Tip 2. I got this from a KTM insider: ECU doesn't need much of anything since it's mapped to Europe Enduro, they also state power bandwidth is set pretty high as well.

#2 ·
Tip 1. When you get the cable from your dealer (you shouldn't have to pay for it) there are 3 settings for the ABS. One is ABS on both wheels, another is front wheels only, and last is rear wheel only. I don't recall factory setting but I believe it's front only.

Tip 2. I got this from a KTM insider: ECU doesn't need much of anything since it's mapped to Europe Enduro, they also state power bandwidth is set pretty high as well.[/QUOTE]

Senator can you provide more detail, please?

Doesn't need much of anything: Does that simply mean that the fueling is not lean from the factory? or is there something else that this refers to?
ALSO
Can others confirm that they are getting the ABS dongle for free?

#5 ·

Tip 2. I got this from a KTM insider: ECU doesn't need much of anything since it's mapped to Europe Enduro, they also state power bandwidth is set pretty high as well.
Can't guarantee dongle for ABS is free b
Senator can you provide more detail, please?

Doesn't need much of anything: Does that simply mean that the fueling is not lean from the factory? or is there something else that this refers to?
ALSO
Can others confirm that they are getting the ABS dongle for free?[/QUOTE]

Can't confirm free dongle but since it adjusts ABS I'd saw others are not paying for it. The other suggestions I got were most of issues of 690 complaints were adjusted and fixed and got a power boost and better ECU mapping. I can only say what I've heard and that's a great bike overall. I mean after all, the owners so far are really happy. Not much Bitching considering it's a newer bike in many areas. And good looking as well.

#3 ·
my future 701 mods

Changes Planned/Thinking about:

Already have my Wings.

Planning the air box and canister delete.

steering dampener if needed after initial ride.

Trying to cut weight more than anything. so lithium ion battery, ANY recommendations on which one i should get?

Crash protection, like frame sliders and axel sliders.

Gas cap

reinforced sub frame bolts

power commander to remap after air box delete..
I don't think i can find anyone on the islands who can do a reflash of the stock unit and i am not comfortable doing it myself.

Has anyone considered trying to mount a quick shifter on one?

#8 ·
Changes Planned/Thinking about:

Already have my Wings.

Trying to cut weight more than anything. so lithium ion battery, ANY recommendations on which one i should get?

Has anyone considered trying to mount a quick shifter on one?
I put a cheap lithium battery in my 690. It's the size designed for the 450s etc (I have one in my 450 as well). So there is room in the repositioned battery box (Airbox removed. EvoII filter) for my iPhone.
No problems so far. Cranks the bike over better than the big heavy stock battery. I can't remember the brand name right now - common in Australia.

I put a Quick Shifter on (the 690). (Starline) It's cool and works as advertisedl, but for the riding I like, not really suited. (Sometimes cuts/farts when I'm rev matching on the down shifts or doing a normal up shift (with clutch). The sensitivity needs adjusting if I swap boots - MX boots stiff, road race boots soft.
I think part of the problem is:with no linkage like a sports bike, it relays on some sort of black magic to sense the torque on the gear stick. (Piezo washer under the bolt!)
I'm planning on taking it off and fitting it to my race bike. (525SM)

#6 ·
Thanks for this Thread bloody annoyed getting my post over flooded by things not related to moding up the bike etc.:thumbup:

I ordered the new Remus exhaust Race only without catalytic converter optimised to gain performance and more torque. Pretty expensive but cheaper than the akrapovic that has catalytic converter(heavier) AND HAS AN un-removable db killer(removable if you have the tools to drill the carbon fiber :hmmm:

About the air box I have seen people opening it up more(eliminating side panels or just poking holes into it). Why not just remove the air box all together. Any down side to this?

#9 ·
airbox mods

I have been doing a lot of reading on the KTM threads and here is best information I can find. Granted, its for an older 690 but it would appear that the air box has not changed that much since 2008.

It would appear that the air box delete, "no air box RU17500" (red) has more power over the whole range, when compared to stock (blue). "-airbox lid" (green) has more mid range than both, but less top end than either.

I would take the overall improvement (red) over the Stronger midrange at the expense of top end.

Attachments

#10 ·
Rally Raid gas cap and a good mirror option

Has anyone found a USA source for this?
It seems like Rally Raid is the only company that makes it with the SAS hose attachment deleted.

ALSO

I'm looking for a good option for a mirror that will use stock mounts. Something someone has bought and loved.
I just want a single (left) one.

#15 ·
I'd expect fueling to be a little off with no airbox but otherwise it should be ok unless there's a crankcase vent going to it or something.

#17 ·
exhaust

On the Husky website they show 2 slip ons for the 701Supermoto:

1. Akropvic
2. FMF Team Blue Factory carbon fibre and titanium.

The first one is legal on most streets.
The FMF is for off road use. When I searched 701S partd using a PC it wouldn't show the FMF pipe (as mentioned previously.
When I use my phone's browser it comes up. It's a nice looking slip on but I bet it's at least illegal in CA but not certain where else. Considering the amount of noisy HD and other bikes I hear on the roads, I don't think the FMF will get you pulled over, not to mention it's nearly impossible to know if it's illegal. If they impound it or look carefully, all bets are off. I know there's a warning sticker on most new FMFs but don't recall if it's a sticker or engraved on the pipe itself.

#20 ·
On the Husky website they show 2 slip ons for the 701Supermoto:

1. Akropvic
2. FMF Team Blue Factory carbon fibre and titanium.

The first one is legal on most streets.
The FMF is for off road use. When I searched 701S partd using a PC it wouldn't show the FMF pipe (as mentioned previously.
When I use my phone's browser it comes up. It's a nice looking slip on but I bet it's at least illegal in CA but not certain where else. Considering the amount of noisy HD and other bikes I hear on the roads, I don't think the FMF will get you pulled over, not to mention it's nearly impossible to know if it's illegal. If they impound it or look carefully, all bets are off. I know there's a warning sticker on most new FMFs but don't recall if it's a sticker or engraved on the pipe itself.
I asked my dealer and an American dealer and they said the FMF doesn't fit the 701(it's just listed as part of new release items)

#18 ·
It's pretty easy to tell if it is illegal in the state of California. If it doesn't have the make and model of the bike stamped on the side of it, along with all the legal mumbo jumbo it is illegal. CARB has empowered the CHP to enforce motorcycle emissions seeing how CARB couldn't get the state to do emissions testing on MCs every other year, treadmill, visual all the hoops. BLM will also check for your canister and air pump if you try to enter a BLM area. So, yes your brand new shiny 701s have Husqvarna and 701 stamped in 1 inch high letters. Not quite sure on the height but close enough. I know it is done all the time, fitting FMFs, or what not, to anything with two wheels. Alot of dealerships will not do it because of the potential CARB fine. Chaparral here reports your VIN to CARB when buying an exhaust, and yes they take it from your registration. Local police can only do noise checks.

We must...We must...increase our boost

#19 ·
I'm interested in the potential of the stock ECU unit on this bike. It seems to be the same as the one used in the 690 SMC-R. I would love to mess around with it and maybe even build an Android app for switching maps/checking codes.

1. Has anyone been able to successfully use the KTM USB-OBD cable + TuneECU to get any readings from the onboard computer?

(cable) http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/KTM.html
(apk) https://www.apkfiles.com/apk-478338/tuneecu

2. What resources do we have available for the Keihin LC4I002 unit? Google hasn't been very useful, I just found a bunch of used listings on eBay. I'm more concerned with schematics, tools, etc.

#25 ·
I wish people wouldn't spread misinformation or repost something they found on a random Google search.

KTM wanted to land Husqvarna squarely on its feet after BMW went down the wrong path with it during the global recession. They are trying to keep Husqvarna intact with their original Swedish engineering crew and content. Designs all came out of Kiska for the 701Supermoto and Enduro. They wisely kept the Husky colors with some fun with bright colors, and even refer back to its founding in 1903. Before Kiska, which is a in house company design team, Derestricted designed the gorgeous KTM and Husqvarna designs for the prior 7-8 years. As time went on you could see they created graphics which other manufacturers "borrowed."

Husqvarna has made major upgrades to its ECU and has several mapping choices. Some hidden. You can change settings from red light to red light. You can even pick from about 4 different ABS settings. It's has a slipper clutch. The vibrations and other annoying distractions on the older 690s are resolved or are much better on the 701. The triple clamp is way more robust and effective. The bike is smooth but powerful and capable of throwing anyone of its seat. Those who haven't ridden the 701 yet doesn't really know how to make comparisons from a a decade old 690 Austrian engine. KTM is now a privately held corporation with most of its recent partners brought in house and paid with paychecks signed by KTM. Now they are able to control their own destiny without unneeded outside influences or distractions.

With that said, the CA edition will most likely have the worst of the problems (if there are any at all that are showstoppers) because most of the settings had to be neutered in order to pass the very restrictive emissions regulations. Every bike I've owned for the past 10+ years is completely different from the 49-state bikes. From KTM, to Ducati, to Honda and back to Husqvarna, my friends in the other states have much more solid bikes out of the box. Even cars and trucks I drive have way less BHP than advertised because of the taxing smog emissions parts and computer settings mandated within the CA borders. CHP used to have unsmogged cars, even that has changed. I lived on the east coat and Texas for a while and the bikes just rip it on the first start. That's why the 1st and 2nd things you do to a Cali bike is rip out all the emissions lock downs (de-smog) then get the gearing to a setting that gives you more power off the line and ECU mapping.

Wow, I wrote all that and won't even see a check in the mail from KTM.

If you got em, smoke em!

#23 · (Edited)
I switched to Advanced mode form Standard mode 2 days ago. The motor definitely feels more responsive , throttle is more sensitive. Next step waiting for my Remus to be delivered (10 working days)
Edit: It's not a huge difference but a needed difference standard had a slower pick up.

#24 ·
My bike is up for it's first service and I have a couple of questions:

1. Have anybody performed the 1000km service themselves yet? I'm fairly confident in being able to take care of everything besides scanning the ECU for fault codes since I don't have a scan tool on hand.

2. Additionally, has anyone changed the fuel filter? The manual does a wonderful job of not showing me where it's located... Is it in-tank or inline? Seems like the consensus from the internet is that the stock filter is not good enough to filter the small particles and an additional inline filter is recommended - does anyone have any suggestions on brand/type?

#28 ·
I don't think so but one way to check is to look at emissions etching on the frame of the bike.
If non CA state bikes don't mention CARB approval, that is a 49-state bike. If they all have the CARB disclaimer, than that is a CA bike, and is allowed anywhere in the US. That also means there would be 2 versions of the 701. That's right. It also means if you bring a non CARB approved bike, you can't register or drive it in CA. Ugh!

Anyone in a non Cali state care to post a good pic of your emissions sticker? :)

#27 · (Edited)
I got strongly recommended to do this, a cheap DIY mode, no regrets ! Credits to : Ald.
I shaved it better than he did tho to make it look more professional lol. Seriously guys now it really actually sounds like a true thumper. Remus is coming next week and the police will probably stop me for noise violation hehe :bannana::headshake:banana:
Edit: forgot to mention that the bike feels more free now like an angry cat unleashed! (not very angry but yeah horny angry)

Attachments

#41 ·
Hey Rusty, my post wasn't aimed at you, it's just where the post ended up. I was also referring to the topic in a general manner.

But I continue to read info from people who still own/ride a KTM from 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, etc etc and think a 2016 Husqvarna will accept the same parts. And there are tons of subforums (which sucks because we need to consolidate some of these forums) where riders are taking advice like use a K&M filter from a 690SMR or whatever and shove it in your 701 after de-smogging it. States like CA never sold most of those special edition bikes, esp in the KTM racing models. Even the 2016 Duke 690 "R" model will not be sold in CA.

I was in another forum and a rider tried the K&N filter suggestion for his new 701SM and the frame was too small to fit.
If people actually read the 701S bike guide it mentions several changes that are nothing like the 690. Unless someone who actually owns a 690 and has the 701 and did the work, guessing that "it will work" or "should work" is not benefiting riders trying to get on their bikes and ride them instead of hanging out at post office trying to return parts that won't fit.

#42 ·
Regarding the ECU there are some other options. I don't know exactly what they are but you'll either need a dealer with access to it who can make the change or someone else who has a work around and knows what they're doing. A Husqvarna pro rider told me its possible but it wasn't going to be something made public.
And if you find out those killer ECU settings/mappings, make sure it's public info, at least on SMJ :) :clap: :rofl: :thumbup: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.