701S pics, upgrades, enhancements, post delivery issues, questions - Page 16
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 701S pics, upgrades, enhancements, post delivery issues, questions

Quote Originally Posted by Captain701 View Post
    Has anyone fitted the ktm 690 Evo 1 air box lid to their 2016/2017 model?
    Yes. With Wings and PCV.
    Previous dyno charts posted here on SMJ showed that with evo1 it'll run lean, so you need PCV.

The lid mostly fits but I had to trim the ridges off of the top of it. Then the seat fit over it without issues.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    Yes. With Wings and PCV.
    Previous dyno charts posted here on SMJ showed that with evo1 it'll run lean, so you need PCV.

The lid mostly fits but I had to trim the ridges off of the top of it. Then the seat fit over it without issues.
    Thanks,
    I have the wings, and I just ordered both the PCV and the lid, really looking forward to it

Same here. Had to trim a little to get the evo 1 lid to fit.
    I took it back off after a mile though . I just couldn't stand the intake noise.
    I'm now looking for a quieter solution.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Default Mods

Are you guys feeling much of a increase in power with the PC5, wings and airbox lid? I have the wings on my 2017 and I think she flys pretty good as is but am curious if these other mods wake her up more. Also has anyone seen or tried the "booster plug" mod that sells for a third of what a PC5 costs?

Ordered my 701 a few days ago. Now I wanted to get also an outdoor cover for the bike. But there's no information about the actual dimensions of the bike.
    Could anyone tell me the overall length of the 701 SM MY17?

Quote Originally Posted by ttias View Post
    Ordered my 701 a few days ago. Now I wanted to get also an outdoor cover for the bike. But there's no information about the actual dimensions of the bike.
    Could anyone tell me the overall length of the 701 SM MY17?
    Almost exactly 2100mm overall (with the stock "tail tidy" aka "hideous extension removed" making the rear tire the most rearward extreme and the front tire the front extreme (as normal)

I just measured mine for you.

They are long bikes based on putting my old 690 in the trailer (compared with MX, Supermoto and Enduro bikes.)
    I use a bike cover marked "750cc-1000cc" ("Large" equivalent. They do a 1000cc-1300 As well, I think.)

I use the same covers on my race bikes, and they aren't >750cc either!
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    '17Husqvarna 701SM. KTMs-'06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    Almost exactly 2100mm overall (with the stock "tail tidy" aka "hideous extension removed" making the rear tire the most rearward extreme and the front tire the front extreme (as normal)

They are long bikes based on putting my old 690 in the trailer (compared with MX, Supermoto and Enduro bikes.)
    I use a bike cover marked "750cc-1000cc" ("Large" equivalent. They do a 1000cc-1300 As well, I think.)

It's actually longer (even with the bikelitez tail installed) than my daytona 675. Wheelbase is 2-3" longer.
    On my hydraulic lift, on pitbull stands, the bike will barely fit and I'm not comfortable raising the lift up b/c one of the stands may easily slide off the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn 141 View Post
    Are you guys feeling much of a increase in power with the PC5, wings and airbox lid? I have the wings on my 2017 and I think she flys pretty good as is but am curious if these other mods wake her up more. Also has anyone seen or tried the "booster plug" mod that sells for a third of what a PC5 costs?
    Yes, definitely felt a lot of low/mid grunt with PCV. I upgraded wings first, didn't feel much improvement except the sound.

The booster plug was out the moment 701 has been announced. While claiming wonderful power increase. On an ECU that can't be reflashed.
    My guess is the booster plug simply retards the signal from O2 sensor to fool ECU into running the bike richer. What that will do is magically provide more power b/c it's lean from factory to begin with. However, that doesn't dynamically adjust AFR...probably just runs it rich everywhere. Bad for motor? Not really. Ideal solution? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    Yes, definitely felt a lot of low/mid grunt with PCV. I upgraded wings first, didn't feel much improvement except the sound.

The booster plug was out the moment 701 has been announced. While claiming wonderful power increase. On an ECU that can't be reflashed.
    My guess is the booster plug simply retards the signal from O2 sensor to fool ECU into running the bike richer. What that will do is magically provide more power b/c it's lean from factory to begin with. However, that doesn't dynamically adjust AFR...probably just runs it rich everywhere. Bad for motor? Not really. Ideal solution? No.
    From what I read, the booster plug tells the ECU that the ambient temperature is a little different than it actually is, resulting in the ECU running the bike a littler richer. Some people swear by it, per the KTM forums I read through, however many people have reported that it either doesn't work or that the ECU self adjusts after a while...whatever that means. I almost went with a booster plug but ultimately there seemed to be enough cloud around it to deter me. We all KNOW a PCV works!

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!
    Of course, the tail will be removed ;-)

So I installed the PCV, bike turns over (injector comes on) but wont start, Checked the map and it was fine, Still wont start, but does turn over

Uninstalled power commander, bike still wont start

Any ideas???

When it cranks, can you smell fuel?
    Does it fire, or just crank over dead like the kill switch is off?
    Last edited by skypig; 03-30-2017 at 12:14 AM. Reason: RTFQ

When it cranks, can you smell fuel?
    Does it fire, or just crank over dead like the kill switch is off?
    I can smell fuel, and it's cranking like the kill switch is on....not firing at all. Maybe I knocked the spark plug boot of. Hmmmm

Fuel and spark usually equal "go".
    Sounds like you have fuel.....

The "coil in the cap" design still freaks me out a bit. Check all the "little" ignition wires. They go "through" the PCV don't they? (Unplug from coil, plug onto PCV, matching cable on PCV goes to the original coil attachment.)

X 2 on our bikes. (Two spark plugs)

I can smell fuel, and it's cranking like the kill switch is on....not firing at all. Maybe I knocked the spark plug boot of. Hmmmm
    I'm assuming it started before the PC5? Odd that it won't start now after removing the PC, but probably just something not fully connected.

I was going to suggest for the PC5 to try reversing polarity. Others had reported that between '16 and '17 the PC5 was the same but you had to reverse polarity on the '17. On mine I used Rapidbike instead of PC5. The Rapidbike came with a short connector which could be used to reverse polarity if needed. I didn't know which way was the right way during initial install and had it reversed the first try. It didn't start, so I changed it to the other way and then it worked fine.

Default Seat Concepts Tall - Blue Yellow White Seat

I finally had my SeatConcepts seat installed on my bike. This is the tall version and it's wider where your butt sits. I have only had a chance to ride around the neighborhood but it feels great. From the photos below you can see that the yellow is close but does not match completely.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Extra Photo from riding this winter
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by TNSumo; 03-30-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpwracing View Post
    I'm assuming it started before the PC5? Odd that it won't start now after removing the PC, but probably just something not fully connected.

I was going to suggest for the PC5 to try reversing polarity. Others had reported that between '16 and '17 the PC5 was the same but you had to reverse polarity on the '17. On mine I used Rapidbike instead of PC5. The Rapidbike came with a short connector which could be used to reverse polarity if needed. I didn't know which way was the right way during initial install and had it reversed the first try. It didn't start, so I changed it to the other way and then it worked fine.
    yea it was running great, What does reversing the polarity mean?

Off to take her apart again and see WTF is up? I will report back

Default seat

Quote Originally Posted by TNSumo View Post
    I finally had my SeatConcepts seat installed on my bike. This is the tall version and it's wider where your butt sits. I have only had a chance to ride around the neighborhood but it feels great. From the photos below you can see that the yellow is close but does not match completely.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Extra Photo from riding this winter
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Does it feel much taller than the stock seat?

Default Pc5

So I installed the PCV, bike turns over (injector comes on) but wont start, Checked the map and it was fine, Still wont start, but does turn over

Uninstalled power commander, bike still wont start

Any ideas???
    We ALL KNOW A PCV WORKS!............apparently not so.

yea it was running great, What does reversing the polarity mean?

Off to take her apart again and see WTF is up? I will report back
    It's for the main voltage connector. I copied the instructions in the attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Glenn 141 Tall Seat ?

Hi Glenn,

It does feel a little taller but the seat is thicker and wider. I took my stock seat and Seat Concepts kit to a professional installer. I'm sure a person could do it themselves but it would be a PIA.
    When he was finished the seat had a few wrinkles. I parked the bike in the sun and allowed the seat to get hot and the wrinkles disappeared.

The installer used a pneumatic stapler and stainless steel staples. He used short staples on the majority of it and longer staples on the seams.
    It took longer to remove the old seat than it did to install the kit.

Hi.

This is my new Husky 701 ´17 EU model, with shock upgrade
    Original WP Shock with new valving kit, big bottle with oil and nitrogen separate with a special membrane. No new spring need. Awesome performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dpwracing View Post
    It's for the main voltage connector. I copied the instructions in the attachment.
    Thanks, Got her started, the coil in the Spark plug tube holder thing?? was loose on the inside spark plug. Now do I want to re-fit the PCV lol. Just happy I didn't mess it up too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPerolo View Post
    Hi.

This is my new Husky 701 ´17 EU model, with shock upgrade
    Original WP Shock with new valving kit, big bottle with oil and nitrogen separate with a special membrane. No new spring need. Awesome performance.

that's pretty cool, how much do you weigh

that's pretty cool, how much do you weigh
    Typical european big guy.
    Only 110 kg (242 lb)
    35 mm stock spring preload

Picking her up today!
    Untitled by Mario Zumbo, on Flickr

Default Update

There seems to be a theme.
    I fitted a PCV then my bike wouldn't start!

After researching dyno tune places, all recommendations led to a place 1.5hrs from home.
    Closer places weren't instilling confidence, one didn't answer, or ring back.
    The fact the recommended place was booked out for a month and a half is a good sign as well.

Problem was I couldn't wait 1.5 months for a base run before fitting my shiny parts.

Fitting the Evo II kit was less than straightforward. The 701 has some differences from the 690.
    (The relocated battery Box will not fit due ABS unit in the way (at the moment....) and different seat mounts.

So I fitted the Rottweiler "de smog" kit, the K&N pod filter, the PCV and a Wings pipe. (12+ plug in connectors)
    Then it would crank over, (tiny lithium battery has lots of cranking power) but was stone dead. (Not a pop, nor smell of fuel)
    I re-checked a lot of connections. I think it was moving the earth connection on the PCV from the frame to the battery that fixed it.

I only had time for a short ride before flying to work for two weeks.
    With the map Rottweiler had loaded for me, the bike runs fine, and fuels better at low revs than before.
    It definitely seems (certainly sounds) better on the power front. Looking forward to more riding and eventually a custom tune.

One thing that is driving me mad is the lack of tacho.
    The latest gen engine is a lot smoother/"revier", and I find it difficult to know how hard I'm reving it.

I've bought a mini tacho, but can't get a reliable signal.
    The plug coils are sealed with O rings inside plastic tubes.
    I've tried the signal wire in numerous places: around the wires to the cap (tried each wire individually, around the cap, etc, and, only wrapped around the tube where the coil is (inside) gives any signal. (Doesn't seem accurate/consistent.)
    Any suggestions? Kill switch? Probably a dedicated tacho output somewhere (for the older models that come equipped.)

Anyone have a workshop manual and/or wiring diagram for a 2017 701 SM?
    I've only managed to find a 2016 owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn 141 View Post
    I would love to see the numbers too before dropping over a $G in to everything. Also curious as to if the GPR systems are worth it performance wise or if it's just cosmetic, and louder.......

Quote Originally Posted by Supermustard View Post
    I would love to see the numbers too before dropping over a $G in to everything. Also curious as to if the GPR systems are worth it performance wise or if it's just cosmetic, and louder.......
    These bikes are impressive standard. But obviously there are constraints. They have to pass noise and emissions tests and run on the worst fuel commonly available in the markets the sell into.

I was looking forward to getting a base dyno run done, but logistics and impatientness led to me fitting the parts before I could achieve this. In 45 days I'll publish the "after" dyno chart.

Pipes: The stocker is like black magic. It seems to dull performance very little, while being very quiet. The fact the CAT in it makes it run HOT and it weighs 2.5kg more than the replacement are the main reasons I replace them.
    I feel the "db killers" that come with many pipes, inc my new Wings are crude and poorly designed. I suspect they kill power even more than they kill db. Mine feels best with no baffle. I would be unsurprised if the stocker made better numbers than a Wings with a db killer installed. I'll try and do a comparison run with the db killer in. I think some people's "butt dyno" is re calibrated by the extra noise. (Something I don't claim to be immune to.)

Filters: The stock airbox has a very small inlet. It looks like the Pod filter I replaced it with could flow several times the air. But, what if the stocker flows more than enough? I certainly haven't experienced chalk/cheese performance increases.

ECU: Standard this thing has got to be lean. It hardly uses any fuel. It's difficult to ride at low speed - fueling hunts around. And obviously it is set to suit the restrictions of the stock intake and exhaust systems. (I think the map I installed was 20% richer in some cells!)

I enjoy modifying my bikes. It's something I could never really afford when I was younger (and could win races).

If I end up with a smooth power delivery and a little more power I'll be happy.

I want a tacho

Does anyone know where I can find the stock plastic skid plate that comes on the Enduro 701? I'd like the mount one to my Supermoto as they don't come with it. I'm not to worried about the protection from it. I just want one to keep road debris off the engine.

I figure if you're going to protect it, might as well use something stout. Plastic doesn't seem like enough.
    2017 Husqvqrna 701 Supermoto Bought New
    1980 Jawa/GM 500 Speedway Bike Bought Used]
    2007 CRF150RB Sold to pay taxes
    2004 CRF100F Bought Used
    2009 Ducati 1198S Bought Used

Apparently the stock plastic bash plate is more expensive than more serious aftermarket ones.
    The local dealer fits alloy plates to Enduro models, and offers the plastic to SM buyers at the alloy cost. Clever, but in Australia.

I'd expect a lot of Enduro guys would like (or have) an upgrade to alloy and would be happy to sell you the stocker.

My experience with alloy plates is that they can resonate, and sound funny.

I'm running my SM bare. (Figure it's the lightest option, and has a cooling edge)

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb-Chop-Rides View Post
    OK graphs as promised, great increases I think your agree!! Power and torque graphs, they are stock vs PC5, Wings Exhaust and evo1 airbox lid.
    Is that with or without the baffle?

Fitted the skid plate today. Husqvarna OEM powdercoated white.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current bike: Husqvarna 701 Supermoto 2017
    Previously owned: XR600 -92, 660 SMC -04

Quote Originally Posted by H3dlund View Post
    Fitted the skid plate today. Husqvarna OEM powdercoated white.
    Looks like I'm gonna have to powder coat mine white as well. Also where did you get the swingarm sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by MoltoMario View Post
    Looks like I'm gonna have to powder coat mine white as well. Also where did you get the swingarm sticker?
    Yeah it turned out nice.

The sticker is from this kit: http://www.independentracing.de/shop...-Factory1.html
    I contacted them over e-mail and asked if could buy only the swingarm stickers. No problem! They have a lot of different of styles.
    Current bike: Husqvarna 701 Supermoto 2017
    Previously owned: XR600 -92, 660 SMC -04

Getting ready get on the dyno...!!!!

2017 701sm
    Evo 1 Air box lid
    Wings exhaust no baffle
    Stock filter
    PCV

Getting ready get on the dyno...!!!!

2017 701sm
    Evo 1 Air box lid
    Wings exhaust no baffle
    Stock filter
    PCV
    RESULTS:
    waiting on the files to be emailed

but in short.... 68 RWHP and, an 8-10 HP jump on most RPMS until the end where it ends up nearly the same as stock

Do you have a before/after file coming?

Is it a noticeable improvement when riding?

Do you have a before/after file coming?

Is it a noticeable improvement when riding?

yea they are supposed to send it to me

It is extremely noticeable. I've always thought the 701 made good power, but the power was at the top and it took time to get the power. Now its instant and throughout the rev range. Its like switching from a CV carb to a Flat side carb. I'm a very happy camper

yea they are supposed to send it to me

It is extremely noticeable. I've always thought the 701 made good power, but the power was at the top and it took time to get the power. Now its instant and throughout the rev range. Its like switching from a CV carb to a Flat side carb. I'm a very happy camper
    I have another month to wait for my date with the (almost) local Dynotuning legend.
    It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Took her out for 120 Miles of Twisties today
    Untitled by Mario Zumbo, on FlickrUntitled by Mario Zumbo, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by MoltoMario View Post
    Took her out for 120 Miles of Twisties today
    Untitled by Mario Zumbo, on FlickrUntitled by Mario Zumbo, on Flickr

Beautiful !! I can almost taste the air
    --
    2016 Husqvarna 701 Supermoto..............| https://flic.kr/p/H9QJ1T
    1993 Harley-Davidson FXRS-SP Custom....| https://flic.kr/p/HfS2Yc

Quote Originally Posted by G2G View Post
    Quick question, has anyone weighed their 701 yet? I don't want magazine and internet #'s I want real world someone who bought one and weighed it.

If you give me the super secret FSB password I will tell you what my brand new 2017 actually weighs with all fluids. And it will be on a certified scale.....

Hey everyone!

I made a video - I'm so proud of myself -

Maybe some of you will get a kick out of this

--
    2016 Husqvarna 701 Supermoto..............| https://flic.kr/p/H9QJ1T
    1993 Harley-Davidson FXRS-SP Custom....| https://flic.kr/p/HfS2Yc

Quote Originally Posted by ram9cc View Post
    Hey everyone!

I made a video - I'm so proud of myself -

Maybe some of you will get a kick out of this

Good job mate! Nicely set-up bike. I need me one of those Scott's dampers.

That bar set-up reminds me of brush busters on the front of a Jeep. I bet you could take-out a deer with that rig! Solid!
    2017 Husqvqrna 701 Supermoto Bought New
    1980 Jawa/GM 500 Speedway Bike Bought Used]
    2007 CRF150RB Sold to pay taxes
    2004 CRF100F Bought Used
    2009 Ducati 1198S Bought Used

Has anyone replaced brake disc/rotors yet?

If so, did you go for a direct replacement or have you managed to find any uprated replacements?

I can't seem to find much in the way of any 'performance' upgrades!

I have run a Braking Flame rotor on my 690 with great results.
    I have a Braketech Axis iron rotor on my "new" front wheel, but haven't tried it out yet.
    A very "trick" rotor, and previously I've loved the feel of iron discs.
    (They do rust however, and come coated in "gunkote". Cleaning this off is an upcoming mission. Braketech recommends just running old pads to clean it off.... I don't have any old pads... don't want to pollute the Brembos.)

I have run a Braking Flame rotor on my 690 with great results.
    I have a Braketech Axis iron rotor on my "new" front wheel, but haven't tried it out yet.
    A very "trick" rotor, and previously I've loved the feel of iron discs.
    (They do rust however, and come coated in "gunkote". Cleaning this off is an upcoming mission. Braketech recommends just running old pads to clean it off.... I don't have any old pads... don't want to pollute the Brembos.)
    These?

http://braketech.com/?year_id=246&ma...vpf-ymm-search

Quoted the wrong guy :(

Quote Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
    MY 16 - Sold[/IMG]

MY 17 - New sweetheart

What are the differences between the MY16 and 17? and how do you differentiate?

Am planning to get one in my place but I'm afraid they would give me some old bike.

Advertisement
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast