SuperMoto Junkie banner

Would you commute on a 2012+ wr450f year round?

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Brackish 
#1 ·
I'm about to finish getting my 2013 wr450f street legal and I plan on commuting to work on it. My commute is about 30 miles round trip per day. How many miles should I expect to get out of my motor? Is ~10k miles per year a lot on this bike? This is my first bike so I'm in the dark on how long a bike lasts compared to a car or truck.

#2 ·
That's a LOT of miles to put on a WR, especially if it's freeway. If it's backroads it isn't as hard on it.

It certainly wouldn't be my choice of commute bike.

#10 ·
No, not here. Yamaha Australia's website states that it is sold with ADR gear it is not recommended for road use. Their words is that it's not a dual sport but rather a fully off-road bike that can be registered. This helps the guys in NSW, SA, etc so they can ride the bike in state / national forests where bikes must be registered.

#9 ·
Fwiw, i bought an 07 wr450 (same engine as the 12-15 models - the fi) from a pro gncc racer. The bike literally looked like it had been ridden through a mine field and drug through a swamp- it had never been rebuilt and he said it had alot of miles/hours on it- very hard miles at that- after i bought it i put a set of rings in it and a odometer. After 7,700 miles i had to do the bottom end due to a bad balancer bearing.
With that said id estimate the bike had over 10k on the motor before it "had " to be rebuilt- i know the previous owner used it,abused it and left it for dead- probably with very little maintenance done- i haven't been easy on it by any means but i do change the oil every 500 miles and clean the filter every 1000.
Id say with routine maintenance and proper gearing you could easily get 10k out of it- probably more.
Your ass will be sore though -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.