701 or 690 SMC

Thread: 701 or 690 SMC

Default 701 or 690 SMC

Hey all,

I'm interested to know which bike you would choose and why?
    Here is the fine print...all things being equal, that is to say, both are 2016 model, new and the price is the same, the dealers are in the same town and the workshops for services down the line are on about the same level.

Which and why? That is the question...

Cheers
    Air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Cool

First off, I'd go for the 2017 model as it has the new engine, but I'd go for the 701 regardless because I like the color scheme more.
    Current ride: '15 Silver FZ09
    Past rides: '09 690 SMC / '10 WR250X / '96 CR250 / '88 RM80
    Riding Game: 3

I own a KTM 690 Enduro and a Husky 701 Supermoto. I chose the 701 Supermoto over the KTM 690 SMC because it is more bare bone. More of a rider's bike. No distractions. The 701 is slightly more "out there" and exclusive. Technically they are very close but the 701 is more in the motard spirit without being a lunatic bike. That's why I chose one over the 690 SMC.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

What are the differences?
    The MX bikes have:

Plastic subframe (includes more restrictive air box)
    More restrictive muffler (at least on the 450)
    Different brand of clutch MC, rims, brake discs, bars
    Allegedly different swingarm.

I'm seriously considering a 2017 (new engine)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    '17Husqvarna 701SM. KTMs-'06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ldman View Post
    I own a KTM 690 Enduro and a Husky 701 Supermoto. I chose the 701 Supermoto over the KTM 690 SMC because it is more bare bone. More of a rider's bike. No distractions. The 701 is slightly more "out there" and exclusive. Technically they are very close but the 701 is more in the motard spirit without being a lunatic bike. That's why I chose one over the 690 SMC.

Nice, thanks

Air

Default 701 or 690 SMC

Hey, do you think the new engine will be better? I know it has more power but will that mean less reliable? More maintenance? Etc

Air

Last edited by Airdynaminc; 10-10-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    What are the differences?
    The MX bikes have:

Plastic subframe (includes more restrictive air box)
    More restrictive muffler (at least on the 450)
    Different brand of clutch MC, rims, brake discs, bars
    Allegedly different swingarm.

I'm seriously considering a 2017 (new engine)
    They are very subtle but many. Styling is the big one

I took the 701 for a hoon and I'm convinced I "need" one. I too prefer the looks of the Huski so bring on the negotiations.

Air

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Airdynaminc View Post
    Hey, do you think the new engine will be better? I know it has more power but will that mean less reliable? More maintenance? Etc
    New engine in the 2017 gives you more HP & torque, less vibration (2nd counter balancer shaft), more usable rpm range (+1000rpm), and less maintenance (10,000 km interval).
    Current ride: '15 Silver FZ09
    Past rides: '09 690 SMC / '10 WR250X / '96 CR250 / '88 RM80
    Riding Game: 3

Not being a fan of KTM orange, the aesthetics alone would swing my vote to the 701.

However, the seat on the 690 is extremely comfortable. While I have not sat on the 701 yet, the seat doesn't look as good, though ergonomically you could say the 701's design has more emphasis on perfecting that aggressive motard seating position.

Also I don't imagine there are many (if any) aftermarket seat options that would fit on such a specific interface.
    I don't fear death, only the moments leading up to it.

There's more to life than jerking off in front of the computer .... I just haven't figured out what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieaddiction View Post
    Not being a fan of KTM orange, the aesthetics alone would swing my vote to the 701.

However, the seat on the 690 is extremely comfortable. While I have not sat on the 701 yet, the seat doesn't look as good, though ergonomically you could say the 701's design has more emphasis on perfecting that aggressive motard seating position.

Also I don't imagine there are many (if any) aftermarket seat options that would fit on such a specific interface.
    Well actually the seat on the 701 is surprisingly comfortable, I think because it's quite wide (from someone used to an SXV ). I've only set on the 690 in the shop but that's not really a true test.

Air

Well actually the seat on the 701 is surprisingly comfortable, I think because it's quite wide (from someone used to an SXV ). I've only set on the 690 in the shop but that's not really a true test.

Air

Hah, yeah good point. I too have only sat on the 690 in the shop a few times, but I just couldn't get over how comfy it was, especially for a sumo.

Ideally, I'd buy a 701 frame and stick 120hp twin in it OR buy the 701 engine and stick it in a 450 frame- now that would be fun!

There's more to life than jerking off in front of the computer .... I just haven't figured out what that is.

Hah, yeah good point. I too have only sat on the 690 in the shop a few times, but I just couldn't get over how comfy it was, especially for a sumo.

Ideally, I'd buy a 701 frame and stick 120hp twin in it OR buy the 701 engine and stick it in a 450 frame- now that would be fun!
    This is what I'm waiting for, KTM's rumored 800cc parallel twin. I'm quite sure they will find more uses for it than just a smaller adventure bike.

Or you could have two bikes

Air

Are the seats different? I'd be surprised if they were.

They must be very different to the seat on my 2008, for anyone to describe them as "comfortable".
    I bought another seat that was much more comfortable, but I don't think it suits the bike due to the much wider feel. I'd put it on, if for some reason I was going to do big days in the saddle. (I had a trip planned with the big tank and the dual sport wheels when I bought the seat.)

The slim MX style (oak? Concrete? Austrian granite?) seat that came on the bike is more "Sumo Authentic".
    I wear cycle pants under my leathers and it's fine for the riding I usually do. (Connect the Cafes by the best roads)

I'm slightly less a fan of the Husky Styling. (Maybe 4 Orange bikes in the shed has altered my perception.

If the ride positions are different, this Husky must be the most "un KTM" bike in the range. (See my list above of the pretty meaningless differences on the MX models)

I decided to update my 654cc 2008 converted E, to a SMC R with the full 690cc engine. Luckily the seller of the 2013 model I decided on disappeared (quite bizarre).
    Now I'm almost certain to wait to buy a brand new 2017 (with the latest engine) when available. White or Orange? With my current knowledge I'd be happy with either.

Hoping to learn a little more.

Or you could have two bikes

Air

Or in my case three bikes heh. While I love my SM, it makes me long for a smoother, more refined engine- while still being light enough to bounce off walls.

The main reason I don't already own the 690 or 701 is the weight. For me, they are too far over the threshold of being a silly "care-free" bike, but instead cross over to the (heavy enough to do damage to itself) category. That, and I don't find the power/weight to be adequate on those two machines.

I think I'm just in the market for something that doesn't exist. Though, as Lloyd said, I'd dig a 800cc V-twin in a sumo frame. 135kg with 120+hp .. what's not to like about that.

.. what's not to like about that.
    Good point!

soo many bikes, soo little time. Ive had a few, most big liter sports, some naked sports but I'm really loving the Sumo at the moment for the fun care free factor. I the SXV 550 for that nutty power to weight ratio thing and the track. I want the 701/690 for rides in the hills and round town...reliably...not like the SXV , for me its plenty fast (and light) for that (especially with an exhaust and re-map).

Still negotiating with the dealers

Air

Good point!

soo many bikes, soo little time. Ive had a few, most big liter sports, some naked sports but I'm really loving the Sumo at the moment for the fun care free factor. I the SXV 550 for that nutty power to weight ratio thing and the track. I want the 701/690 for rides in the hills and round town...reliably...not like the SXV , for me its plenty fast (and light) for that (especially with an exhaust and re-map).

Air
    Bikes can be very different, but great in their own way.
    I ride in the hills on my 690 and I love it.
    I ride my 4 cylinder 1200cc Suzuki up the same roads, and it's a very different experience, but still fun.

First ride on the 1200 after the 690 and it feels like a turbine smooth sportsbike. (It's not particularly smooth, and has stock high bars)

Jumping onto the 690, it feels like a lightweight, pulsating MX bike on steroids that has been machined from a billet of fun.

Riding my race 525 is one of life's pleasures, but on the public street something like that might be too much of a good thing. (Constant wheelies and skidies are frowned apon by nana and her police force)

I change the oil on the 690 about every 5000km, on the 525 about every 500km.

People sometimes ask me why I have 8 motorbikes. (Often in a critical way, and sometimes with trite addition "you can only ride one at a time")

My answer now: "Because I sold one"

Good point!

Air
    Yeah, those are definitely more practical than your traditional sumo. I'm a picky bitch, but I'd be mad to demand light, powerful and practical out of one motorcycle.

I'll settle for light and powerful hehe!

Would love to have a ride of the SXV, from what I hear it's an absolute demon! Was this close to buying one, but got scared by the horror stories of them blowing up or something. I'm not even sure how much truth there is to those stories, but I played it safe and nabbed the 500 exc instead. Still want to ride the SXV lol.

Or in my case three bikes heh. While I love my SM, it makes me long for a smoother, more refined engine- while still being light enough to bounce off walls.

The main reason I don't already own the 690 or 701 is the weight. For me, they are too far over the threshold of being a silly "care-free" bike, but instead cross over to the (heavy enough to do damage to itself) category. That, and I don't find the power/weight to be adequate on those two machines.

I think I'm just in the market for something that doesn't exist. Though, as Lloyd said, I'd dig a 800cc V-twin in a sumo frame. 135kg with 120+hp .. what's not to like about that.
    Dorsoduro, That made my short list when I started my SM/DS years ago. Honestly still search CL for a cheap one, Just needs 25 more ponies and to hit Jenny Craigs for awhile and 50 cc's.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    Dorsoduro, That made my short list when I started my SM/DS years ago. Honestly still search CL for a cheap one, Just needs 25 more ponies and to hit Jenny Craigs for awhile and 50 cc's.
    I rode the Dorso too....didn't like it. Felt very slow, but I did ride my SXV there ...

Air

I've got a deposit down on a 2017 701 supermoto and will have a seat concepts seat waiting when it shows up. I bought a seat concepts seat for my 500exc and was sold for life! My buddy bought one for his drz 400 sm after riding my ktm. Great product!
    http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/pr...tegory=1671357
    There's the link for the 701 seat

Quote Originally Posted by wakeboarder911 View Post
    I've got a deposit down on a 2017 701 supermoto and will have a seat concepts seat waiting when it shows up. I bought a seat concepts seat for my 500exc and was sold for life! My buddy bought one for his drz 400 sm after riding my ktm. Great product!
    http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/pr...tegory=1671357
    There's the link for the 701 seat

I probably should have gone with a SC seat for my 500 but went with Fisher instead. In my head the design and dimensions were perfect, but the end result was an abomination! I ended up taking the stock seat to a local niff-nuff and got him to cut 1.5 inches out and replace it with a softer foam. He then wrapped it in Jet-ski vinyl lol. It's the only seat that will grip your ass while hanging upside down.

It's nice they make a seat for the 701, however I didn't count on it being even uglier than the original lol. Well as long as it works.

I probably should have gone with a SC seat for my 500 but went with Fisher instead. In my head the design and dimensions were perfect, but the end result was an abomination! I ended up taking the stock seat to a local niff-nuff and got him to cut 1.5 inches out and replace it with a softer foam. He then wrapped it in Jet-ski vinyl lol. It's the only seat that will grip your ass while hanging upside down.

It's nice they make a seat for the 701, however I didn't count on it being even uglier than the original lol. Well as long as it works.
    Lol, can't argue that! The seat concepts blue, white, and yellow looks like a 50's restaurant booth seat turd... I'll prob go with the black seat with blue stitching.

Lol, can't argue that! The seat concepts blue, white, and yellow looks like a 50's restaurant booth seat turd... I'll prob go with the black seat with blue stitching.
    Rofl! nailed it!

Ok, decision made and the money paid. Huski 701 it is. I got a good deal and I couldn't be happier, bring on the weekend.

Air

You'll love it.
    I'm buying a new one soon (When the '17s arrive, and I'm medically cleared back to hoolaginisim.), probably.

Pictures or it didn't happen right....Here it is.

Got a good deal so didn't want to wait a year for the 2017 model, picked it up Saturday

Happy as!

Air
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the update.

Very jealous!

Pictures or it didn't happen right....Here it is.

Got a good deal so didn't want to wait a year for the 2017 model, picked it up Saturday

Happy as!

Air
    Welcome to the Husky club. I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    Welcome to the Husky club. I'm jealous.
    I did the same and saved money. I will use that saving to buy a stage two and power commander

I did the same and saved money. I will use that saving to buy a stage two and power commander

;-)

Do you need a power commander? I was talking to the mechanic at shop and he seemed to think he can adjust all the fueling with the plug in tool

Air

I went with a Vortex ECU for my '08
    Great product and company.

I think KTM/White KTM have changed the system since 2008, maybe a few times.
    I know someone that had their 2013 "re flashed" (eliminating the O2 sensor?)

The 2017 are RBW (Ride By Wire) I believe.

;-)

Do you need a power commander? I was talking to the mechanic at shop and he seemed to think he can adjust all the fueling with the plug in tool

Air

I don't really need it but I want to push 80 Bhp out of that engine. Since I have the EU model there are a couple of tuners in Europe who are offering such kits http://www.pirateracing-shop.de/epag...1&Locale=de_DE

I don't really need it but I want to push 80 Bhp out of that engine. Since I have the EU model there are a couple of tuners in Europe who are offering such kits http://www.pirateracing-shop.de/epag...1&Locale=de_DE

Huh, interesting...how do I know if I have EU model? Mine has the EU lights. But Australasia may have got the same lights but a different ecu...?! Interesting

Air

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    I went with a Vortex ECU for my '08
    Great product and company.

I think KTM/White KTM have changed the system since 2008, maybe a few times.
    I know someone that had their 2013 "re flashed" (eliminating the O2 sensor?)

The 2017 are RBW (Ride By Wire) I believe.
    Yes, mine is the 2016 and has ride by wire

Air

I wonder when KTM will stop using that fugly swing-arm.. It's even uglier than the one on a motorbike I made out of a lawnmower engine and a wheelbarrow.

I wonder when KTM will stop using that fugly swing-arm.. It's even uglier than the one on a motorbike I made out of a lawnmower engine and a wheelbarrow.
    To be fair, it's not as ugly as drz400

Picked my 17 up today, couldn't be happier... man what a bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Picked my 17 up today, couldn't be happier... man what a bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nice bike mate, enjoy it!

Nice bike mate, enjoy it!

Thank you, just got my exhaust in today, man what a difference... sounds bad now!

Advertisement