Yamaha 350 2t

Thread: Yamaha 350 2t

Default Yamaha 350 2t

Just thought I'd share a little something I've been busy with.

Got my hands on a 06 WR450 frame and a Rz350 motor. Now this is going to be a bit of a long term build. Here is the progress so far.

Started of by cutting the frame a bit to get the motor in, turned out to be a bit harder than it seemed when i just imagined the build

This was my first thought, wanted to build a standard cradle frame but decided to do something a bit different. So i did this.

The front part of the cradle wil still need to be shortened to flow a bit better with the frame

Rims should be here within the next week or so. Will keep you updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Very nice. How wide is it now? Any shots looking straight at the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplebrah View Post
    Very nice. How wide is it now? Any shots looking straight at the bike?
    Will take some shots today, it isn't to wide though. Still looks in proportion

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Shot with the tank in place

This is gonna be a killer build! Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with the exhaust.

Default Yamaha 350 2t

Exhaust is going to be hard af. I don't want to do downswept, saw a few similar builds with downswept exhaust and it just throws of the whole motard look.

Bike is in pieces at the moment. Some stuff for powdercoating and rims should go for lacing on Friday. Will upload some photos of the parts when they arrive. Also waiting for some stuff I bought off ebay

Oh and turns out it is a rd350lc motor not a rz

I feel like that's going to be the only way, but I can't tell since I can't see the bike in person.
    Is it 6 speed, oil injected?

Quote Originally Posted by tag.mf View Post
    I feel like that's going to be the only way, but I can't tell since I can't see the bike in person.
    Is it 6 speed, oil injected?
    I have checked and it is possible, just want to mount the radiators first and check clearance. Not sure if it's 6 speed. It is oil injected but the pump isn't working so i will have to premix

Yeah just be careful not to heat soak the radiators.
    And that's a huge bummer! Oil injection would have made a huge difference!

Default Yamaha 350 2t

Just got the stuff back from powdercoating. Huge f up, color is good but have to tap all my threads again, bearings is falling apart, bushes is missing, powdercoated the stem on the lower triple clamp ect ect. Will now have to buy a complete set of bearings for shocks and swingarm. Oh and my "blue" hubs is black

Ok so I owe you guys a update

Some work done

Stuff when I got it back from powder coating (with stem shaft fixed)

Rear engine mounting. Needs a new paintjob after installation, shock was rubbing against it as I struggled with the linkages

Got the wheels back today

Running a 160 rear. Rim was laced with an offset to accommodate the larger tire

Just clearing the swingarm

Camera keeps doing this, but chain will clear nicely

Photo from the top as requested

Was crawling all over the bike looking for space to mount the radiators and got an idea.
    After a quick google search i found that it isnt such a bad idea. There is actually a company named ronin which makes a bolt on kit for the Buell 1125R. With the radiator mounted on the bars.

The radiator I've got comes off a banshee. Won't be using it, will have a new one made up that fits and looks beter. Without taking away any of the cooling abilities off course.

Will keep you guys updated. Still waiting for the stuff I imported in the meantime

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

I've had a few people call me crazy for rebuilding bikes in my basement...

But this is next level crazy Haha.

I'll take tat as a compliment. Thanx

Some people believe that is engine mountings

Odo meter even has a home.

So obviously I decided to keep the radiator. Might just build a nice home for it out of fiberglass. Just so that it presents beter

Keep up the good work!

The hoses to that radiator are going to monkey with the handling pretty significantly... Why not utilize the stock locations? Go shorter but wider with fans if you have to.
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The hoses to that radiator are going to monkey with the handling pretty significantly... Why not utilize the stock locations? Go shorter but wider with fans if you have to.
    I have checked. The cradle lays forward, much more than the standard cradle. If I want to mount my radiators in the "stock" position I will have two radiators about 130x110mm. No possible way that will give me sufficient cooling. The way the hoses will be routed it will barely even flex so dont believe it will influence the handling much or even at all. Will post some photos tomorrow of how it's going to be routed

This is an awesome build! Keep the updates and pics coming!

Looking good. Don't forget the fork guard trimming sixstring.
    TM Racing....

Quote Originally Posted by BproofRSA View Post
    Looking good. Don't forget the fork guard trimming sixstring.
    Running a 120 front and looks like I have about 2mm each side. But will still trim a bit for tire flex. Any advice as to doing it without it looking cheap and/or backyard?

Ok I did some more research and turns out Kurlon is right. Yamaha did go the route of mounting the radiator on the lower triple clamp in the early 80's on their yz250. Only lasted a year because of over heating and handling issues.

Spoke to a friend who owns a successful radiator shop and he told me we will be able to make something that fits the stock position, must just tell him the water capacity of the motor.

Just finished developing the right hand side exhaust. Will be laser cutting it tomorrow. Might be done with both exhaust by the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by nico.allers View Post
    Running a 120 front and looks like I have about 2mm each side. But will still trim a bit for tire flex. Any advice as to doing it without it looking cheap and/or backyard?

I have only seen hand trimmed jobs. Some good some bad. Looks like you have the patience to do it properly.

What material are you cutting the pipe sections from? Are you rolling and welding yourself?
    TM Racing....

Quote Originally Posted by BproofRSA View Post
    I have only seen hand trimmed jobs. Some good some bad. Looks like you have the patience to do it properly.

What material are you cutting the pipe sections from? Are you rolling and welding yourself?
    0.9 stainless. Will be rolling and welding it myself.

Are you from South Africa?

0.9 stainless. Will be rolling and welding it myself.

Are you from South Africa?

Top right of each of my posts.
    TM Racing....

A heat gun and file can do wonders for cleaning up trim jobs on plastic.
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    A heat gun and file can do wonders for cleaning up trim jobs on plastic.
    Top right only shows comment nr, I'm using Tapatalk app.

will keep that in mind thanx

Top right only shows comment nr, I'm using Tapatalk app.

will keep that in mind thanxc

My bad. No idea what tapatalk looks like.
    TM Racing....

your frame design has a weak point right now. if i circled the lower corner of the rear of the frame, where the swing arm bolts in. that section is going to be under a lot of stress where you added those supports but still have the lower portion of the OE frame removed. There will be a very high torsional load from the lowest horizontal support you made along the vertical OE section to where the swing arm bolts in. However, maybe you are not finished, so you might have plans for it. but, i spend so much time engineering or going over things in my head, stuff like this just pops out to me now. i guess if you braced that section it would be ok also, instead of replacing the lower OE part. just a suggestion! but cool work so far, this will be a cool result for sure. post videos

Got the exhaust today, quickly assembled them just to be disappointed.

Way to big. But its paid for so I'm going to make em work

pretty cool build! I have seen a few different RZ builds but never a motard. 2 questions. 1, can you drop the motor out still? 2, will the frame be strong enough since you dont have the lower cradle anymore and arent using the motor in a structural sense?

Years ago i mocked up using a 700cc jetski engine in a bike. Pretty compact and have stock exhaust manifolds make a tight fit. Just have to sort out water cooling as well as a CVT drive

Dont know if it will help or hurt but this was built by a guy on the streetfighter forums when i used to frequent them. Exhaust idea was pretty cool but not sure how you would work out the gas tank

http://thekneeslider.com/xj500t-jayb...lytank-triple/
    Matt
    11 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    12 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

Quote Originally Posted by shift1313 View Post
    pretty cool build! I have seen a few different RZ builds but never a motard. 2 questions. 1, can you drop the motor out still? 2, will the frame be strong enough since you dont have the lower cradle anymore and arent using the motor in a structural sense?

Years ago i mocked up using a 700cc jetski engine in a bike. Pretty compact and have stock exhaust manifolds make a tight fit. Just have to sort out water cooling as well as a CVT drive

Dont know if it will help or hurt but this was built by a guy on the streetfighter forums when i used to frequent them. Exhaust idea was pretty cool but not sure how you would work out the gas tank

http://thekneeslider.com/xj500t-jayb...lytank-triple/
    Motor drops out withnou problem and I'm going to build a detachable cradle/skid plate wich should sort any strength issues if there are any. Must have some form of a lower frame for the motors torque bars.

In the meantime I'm waiting for thbe upper part of the exhaust that connects by the exhaust ports to be laser cut. had loads of time this weekend to fiddle around with them and almost seems like the exhaust would work fine

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

How's the build going man? Finally got my own project SM bike, gonna make a build thread once I get some more stuff done

Guess I owe you guys a update.

Did the wiring, everything working 100%. Must just clean it up a bit by the headlight

The bike is in pieces again at the moment. Busy finishing off the frame and getting ready for a motor rebuild

That's awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product

Hello, what mirrors are those? And how do you have them mounted? They look really functional. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rctrumpet1993 View Post
    Hello, what mirrors are those? And how do you have them mounted? They look really functional. Thank you

Stock mirrors from my Husqvarna wr250 2013. The levers has mirror mounts. Will take a photo of them for you

How is the bike doing

Quote Originally Posted by tag.mf View Post
    How is the bike doing
    Been a bit hectic lately. Haven't touched it since December but should start working on her in next month or so

That's life, can't wait to hear it runing

I'm taking her for a spin when Im near JHB..jokes aside, great build!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GehtMoto View Post
    I'm taking her for a spin when Im near JHB..jokes aside, great build!

Haha first must get her to run. Updates should start again next month, so not to long any more

Ok small update. Financially im kinda stuck at the moment (new family member on the way)

Anyway.

The exhaust i had relocated to a bin and i got some banshee headers

Had to cut them as they extended past the front wheel. Will be sending the bike to get the headers sorted.

Pushing the plastics out quite a bit so tried trimming it a bit. Will be buying new plastics all round so don't care to much if i f up these. First time cutting plastics so using this as practice..

Radiators is a major headache. Space is super limited. Going to send the bike to a friends shop when the exhaust is sorted. Will be doing a 4 pass setup. Any thoughts and ideas on cooling would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update!

Default Very impressive so far

I think that you must post a video of how it runs...

Advertisement