Backing-it-in - Almost but not quite ?

Thread: Backing-it-in - Almost but not quite ?

Question Backing-it-in - Almost but not quite ?

Lately I've noticed I've gotten more confident with late, more intense braking into corners and the rear was drifting slightly. Having no concept of how a power-slide actually works, I didn't really know where to go from there.

I watched some videos on what inputs can be used to initiate a slide, so I set out with a sole purpose of intentionally drifting into a corner using rapid downshift technique while having my balls on the tank. To my amazement I got it first go, but can only drift into the entry point of the corner, And cannot carry it to the apex.

My question is: What do I do to get it drifting all the way in ?

Once the rear is weightless enough to spin slower relative to speed, it's controllable, but I'm too scared to find out what would happen if I applied some throttle whilst in the corner. There seems to be some more intricate inputs required to make this happen. Do I have to modulate the clutch and throttle to maintain the slide while turning ?

Any help appreciated.
    Ignorance is my cure for Insanity.

I don't fear death, only the moments leading up to it.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieaddiction View Post
    Lately I've noticed I've gotten more confident with late, more intense braking into corners and the rear was drifting slightly. Having no concept of how a power-slide actually works, I didn't really know where to go from there.

I watched some videos on what inputs can be used to initiate a slide, so I set out with a sole purpose of intentionally drifting into a corner using rapid downshift technique while having my balls on the tank. To my amazement I got it first go, but can only drift into the entry point of the corner, And cannot carry it to the apex.

My question is: What do I do to get it drifting all the way in ?

Once the rear is weightless enough to spin slower relative to speed, it's controllable, but I'm too scared to find out what would happen if I applied some throttle whilst in the corner. There seems to be some more intricate inputs required to make this happen. Do I have to modulate the clutch and throttle to maintain the slide while turning ?

Any help appreciated.

The slide happens for a few reasons. The back end gets light because you get hard on the brakes. The back end slides out because you are initiating a lean. The main goal is to have the rear wheel still spinning but to have it going slower than the front until their speeds match at the apex. If you are going into a turn in 4th gear and the speed leaving the apex would have you in second gear then you need to click it down 2 gears when on the brakes.

Things that need to happen during a slide IF you don't have a slipper clutch.
    1. You need to be hard on the front brakes obviously
    2. you typically will be going down at least 1 gear. If you are very high in the RPMS in a gear you can stay in that gear.
    3. You will likely be slipping the clutch a little bit as needed. If you don't you will most likely get a lot of rear wheel chatter.
    4. Sometimes you need to use the rear brake slightly to help control the rear wheel speed. DO NOT LOCK IT UP!

If you want to slide deeper into the turn you either need to be going faster when you brake, brake later in the turn or both. In most cases the slide and everything just happens when you get going faster. If you try to force a slide its not happening naturally. I first learned on the street on parking lot type roads on dual sport tires. First time at the track i was forcing the slides. Luckily it never bit me but i've seen several guys that were trying too hard and ended up getting bucked off. At the track my slides aren't super leaned over like rudi bauer but they just happen.

Going from a slide into the turn(backing it in) to a drift out of the turn(on the gas) is very tricky. They are two very different things and i suggest keeping them separate. The slide happens because you go past the braking point. The bike sideways helps you slow down and helps get pointed the right way for a quick exit. If the back wheel is spinning you are wasting energy and not getting a drive.
    Matt
    11 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    12 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

Quote Originally Posted by shift1313 View Post
    The slide happens for a few reasons. The back end gets light because you get hard on the brakes. The back end slides out because you are initiating a lean. The main goal is to have the rear wheel still spinning but to have it going slower than the front until their speeds match at the apex. If you are going into a turn in 4th gear and the speed leaving the apex would have you in second gear then you need to click it down 2 gears when on the brakes.

Things that need to happen during a slide IF you don't have a slipper clutch.
    1. You need to be hard on the front brakes obviously
    2. you typically will be going down at least 1 gear. If you are very high in the RPMS in a gear you can stay in that gear.
    3. You will likely be slipping the clutch a little bit as needed. If you don't you will most likely get a lot of rear wheel chatter.
    4. Sometimes you need to use the rear brake slightly to help control the rear wheel speed. DO NOT LOCK IT UP!

If you want to slide deeper into the turn you either need to be going faster when you brake, brake later in the turn or both. In most cases the slide and everything just happens when you get going faster. If you try to force a slide its not happening naturally. I first learned on the street on parking lot type roads on dual sport tires. First time at the track i was forcing the slides. Luckily it never bit me but i've seen several guys that were trying too hard and ended up getting bucked off. At the track my slides aren't super leaned over like rudi bauer but they just happen.

Going from a slide into the turn(backing it in) to a drift out of the turn(on the gas) is very tricky. They are two very different things and i suggest keeping them separate. The slide happens because you go past the braking point. The bike sideways helps you slow down and helps get pointed the right way for a quick exit. If the back wheel is spinning you are wasting energy and not getting a drive.
    Wow man, fantastic reply!

That makes a lot of sense. Before reading this I was under the impression that people were drifting into the corner and applying heaps of throttle to get it through the apex and out of the corner. Good thing I didn't try to do this based off of my assumptions lol.

So it is essentially just an extended drift that I am looking for, I see. And as you pointed out there's little point to sliding out of the corner under power unless you just want to look cool.

I've never been to a track before and I'm not a competitive person so the opportunities I've had to practice this are far and few between. It just looks like a lot of fun, so I've been slowly poking at it. But like you said, I really need to being going faster into the corner to achieve a full slide and for that I need somewhere to play and sadly there are zero places around me where I can do that.

There is the national park, but I don't want to practice on roads with other rider's drivers for obvious reasons. Perhaps I could go there at midnight lol.

Thanks so much for your insight into this, it has helped a great deal. I learned from this what I couldn't from watching all the power-sliding videos on Youtube. Cheers!
    Ignorance is my cure for Insanity.

I don't fear death, only the moments leading up to it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Cool

I learned from this what I couldn't from watching all the power-sliding videos on YouTube .

Cheers!

Its amazing what you can do with tons of skill, an insanely well setup bike and super sticky tires

I don't really have any great videos that show sliding. most of my videos are on bike, but the swingarm camera view s hows downshifting.

Matt
    11 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    12 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

Advertisement