Should i sell my zx6r and get a sumo?

Thread: Should i sell my zx6r and get a sumo?

Default Should i sell my zx6r and get a sumo?

Hello, i've been stalking this site for awhile now and thinking about getting a supermoto, but im worried about a few things, right now i ride a 2013 zx6r and i love it but its not really fun unless im doing 120+ mph. what kind of things do you do to have fun on a supermoto? are they reliable? and are they good for just cruising somtimes? also are they ok with going 65-75 mph for awhile? or would that be hard on it?

Advertisement

Welcome to the forum Nate. Wheelies, speed bumps, curbs, drifting, backing it in, spanking sport bikes in the twisties. The one quart wonders do require a fair amount of oil changes. Yes they are reliable to a certain degree, DRZ about the best for that. Cruising around town, no problem. Do you want to straddle the damn thing to go to a different time zone , NOPE

When you have a couple hours to spare I suggest going to Youtube and typing supermoto into the search.

-Chris

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

IMHO

There are three categories of road SMs

1. Low mtce trail bike conversions or in the case of the DRZ a factory version. Sumo experience in a easily accessible package. Fun, lower out right performance, generally a bit heavier, not happy cruising at 75 mph, unless it's a big bore with appropriate gearing (say XR600, DR650) then they are heavier again.

2. High performance dirt bikes. (KTM EXCs for e.g.) These are race bikes and many people forget that at maintenance time. The manufacturers make these as light and powerful as they can. Lighter AND more powerful than the above fitted with 17" wheels, sticky tires and an absurdly powerful front brake, most of us find them "distilled fun". (Do 75mph easy, but very unhappy to cruise there.) I'd suggest expensive oil changes every 500km (350miles?)

3. "The big Europeans" things like the KTM 690/640 and some Huskys (I think). Heavier enough to be different to "2" above, but similar in power due increased engine capacity. They will cruise on 75mph for longer than your average rider can stand the seat and vibes. (My 690 isn't bad, unless you have ridden a 4 cylinder street bike in the last year.) 5-10 000km recommended oil changes.

My favorite riding is on tighter mountain roads. Lower outright speed, less revenue based enforcement. Road imperfections are almost welcome!

A Supermoto is one vehicle for which speed bumps are not ironically named.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    '17Husqvarna 701SM. KTMs-'06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

Have had many bikes including a Triumph speedtriple which I truly enjoyed. I now own DRZ400sm with a minimum of engine and suspension mods and this has to be the most grin inducing bad decision bike I have ever owned.

No. Just learn to ride first. If you aren't good a riding slow then hopping on a dirt bike with street tires won't magically make you a hoonmaster capable of scraping handlebars through a corner. I suggest you just cruise around looking for twisty roads and get comfortable taking corners and you should have a lot of fun just getting better and gradually picking up the pace.

Let me chime in here as my conversion to SM is similar to yours.

My last bike was a 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000. That bike was a TON of fun! I could go 95 MPH in 1st gear without hitting redline. As if the bike wasn't fast enough, I even modified the ECU (not a Power Commander - I actually reprogrammed parts of the ECU) to get rid of the top speed limit, change the timing in gears 1-4, changed the rev limiter, etc. I loved that bike - but I sold it in early 2015 in hopes to buy a newer GSX-R 1000.

Twisties were fun on the GSX-R, although I wouldn't say I can ride the twisties as well as a lot of people here can... Plus there aren't very many twisty roads near me. That's when it dawned on me - without the twisties, I got my adrenaline fix by going 120+ MPH - and I did that A LOT. A friend of mine would take his bike to the track and told me to come with him a few times, but I was always worried about laying my bike down so I never went. I would also attempt power wheelies with my GSX-R, but again, I was always afraid of laying her down, so I never got good at them.

The more I thought about it, I realized I didn't need a bike that could go 95 MPH in first gear. I'm married and have 2 children - and although I still need my adrenaline fix, I didn't want to end up a 120+ MPH stain on the road. I started doing some research and came to the conclusion that I'd like to try a SM to replace my GSX-R. I researched some more and waited for what I wanted. This last spring I picked up a 2008 Husqvarna SMR-510. During the test ride, I was pleasantly surprised by how much power the bike had, how it sounded, and how it handled. It can easily go 100+ MPH - although due to how light the bike is, I wouldn't recommend it. It is a torque monster - and I can tear the engine down and do a complete rebuild myself.

All in all, I am happy I purchased the Husky. Yes - there are times I still miss my GSX-R, but my Husky is as much (if not more) fun than my GSX-R ever was. This next spring/summer I plan on learning how to do good wheelies... and think of it this way. If I drop my Husky, I just pick it back up, wipe off the dirt, give it a quick lookover and jump back on. If I were to drop my GSX-R, I would most likely be paying out quite a bit of money for new plastics. Yes, the Husky doesn't have the speed of the GSX-R, nor is it designed for a 200 mile ride, but it has me grinning from ear to ear when I come into my work's parking lot, barely hit the throttle and the front end comes up.

It will ultimately come down to the intended use of the bike and personal preference for you, but I can tell you this - I've owned a lot of motorcycles in my life and no other bike I owned was as light and nimble as my Husky.

Advertisement