SuperMoto Junkie banner

701 SM: Engine Tuning

71K views 126 replies 31 participants last post by  R.S 
#1 · (Edited)
Latest Updates...
[HR][/HR]
  • PC5 was backordered when I placed my order on 12/27. They expect new units to arrive on 1/3 and ship, hopefully, the same day.
  • Orders have been shipped!
  • PC5 has arrived! I'll do the install either on 1/8 or 1/9.
  • PC5 successfully installed with DJ map #502.

PowerCommander V
[HR][/HR]
Easy install, very clean software with on-the-fly stats. Bike finally feels like it has come to life, even with the DJ base map. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it can do after a full dyno tune!

DynoJet map for custom exhaust and intake: [23-015-502.pvm]
Rottweiler map: COMING SOON

Rexxer User Evo
[HR][/HR]
TL;DR - Bought User Evo, couldn't get it work for almost 3 months. Come to find out, the Rexxer unit is incompatible with some firmware versions on the bike (there are 2 or more different ones). Rexxer will continue working on supporting the bike in the future, but no ETA at the moment.

So I went ahead and bought the Rexxer User Evo for my 701. It was shipped very quickly and arrived in nice packaging. Connecting it to my computer was a breeze, it auto-updated as soon as I opened up the software. This is about as far as I've been able to get so far.

Based on the instructions and word from Rexxer directly, I should have been able to plug the unit into the bike and load the stock map. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be recognizing the ECU :headshake

I then went ahead and double-checked the ECU service port wiring vs the cable that was given to me with the Rexxer. It definitely doesn't look right.

ECU:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByRGu8diaz_OWTBsR0FxTEVnWGc/view?usp=sharing

Rexxer:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByRGu8diaz_OeHN6WmI4VUMtUEk/view?usp=sharing

As you can see, one of the wires doesn't even go anywhere. From my limited knowledge, I'd assume there would be a power, ground, and signal wire. All of them actually leading somewhere.

For those of you that modified the KTM PC5 wiring, can you post up some pictures or wiring diagrams of what you changed? If it uses the same port, I may be able to figure out if I need to change anything on my end to make it work.

See less See more
#2 ·
So I went ahead and bought the Rexxer User Evo for my 701. It was shipped very quickly and arrived in nice packaging. Connecting it to my computer was a breeze, it auto-updated as soon as I opened up the software. This is about as far as I've been able to get so far.

Based on the instructions and word from Rexxer directly, I should have been able to plug the unit into the bike and load the stock map. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be recognizing the ECU :headshake

I then went ahead and double-checked the ECU service port wiring vs the cable that was given to me with the Rexxer. It definitely doesn't look right.

ECU:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByRGu8diaz_OWTBsR0FxTEVnWGc/view?usp=sharing

Rexxer:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByRGu8diaz_OeHN6WmI4VUMtUEk/view?usp=sharing

As you can see, one of the wires doesn't even go anywhere. From my limited knowledge, I'd assume there would be a power, ground, and signal wire. All of them actually leading somewhere.

For those of you that modified the KTM PC5 wiring, can you post up some pictures or wiring diagrams of what you changed? If it uses the same port, I may be able to figure out if I need to change anything on my end to make it work.
Any update from Rexxer Support?

#3 ·
I'm still working with them. First run through the logs showed that my battery was a bit on the low side. I charged it up and let it trickle charge for a few hours after - still the same behavior. We continue troubleshooting tomorrow.

#5 ·
Been busy with holiday stuff. I sent the unit and cable back to Rexxer so that they can figure out what's wrong. It was supposed to arrive today so I'll hear back from them on Monday most likely.

#6 ·
Quick update...

After doing testing on my end, and Rexxer going through logs, we've come to the conclusion that I just got a faulty unit. A new one will be sent out to me next week (they're waiting on parts). In the meantime, I ordered up the new Rottweiler intake kit with underseat storage bag to complement the upcoming tune.

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/701-husky-rottweiler-intake-system/

#8 ·
They really are! There's absolutely no reason why it should take almost a whole year to release a unit that's nearly identical to the KTM 690 Enduro/SMR.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have the replacement unit by this Friday. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the Rottweiler intake install to hold you guys over!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByRGu8diaz_OOHF4NHVoclNKZlE

Quality: 10
Looks: 10
Fit: 4
Performance: ?

Notes for anyone who purchases this kit in the future:

1. The air sensor wire is just a tad bit too short so you'll have to route it near the back of the intake. Clipping it in with the intake installed is a huge pain.

2. The bracket uses the same mounts as the radiator shrouds and is really frustrating to install. Make sure to add the 2 extra plastic washers between the bracket and frame mount, otherwise your bolts will go in too far and you won't be able to use the shroud clips.

3. There is minimal maneuvering room for the intake near the rear of the bike. Check fit WITH the filter on to make sure that you can take it on/off, it doesn't rub on the gas tank, and that the seat will actually fit.

4. Can't say anything about performance yet but it did sound nice when I ran the bike to let the ECU adjust. Idle - can't tell a difference between stock, Throttle Blip - can definitely hear the bike finally breathing.

#15 ·
I have the pod filter installed but didn't notice any gain but I'm Still using the stock airbox bc i dont want to run too lean. Open airbox lid is sitting on the shelf waiting on pcV.
I think at that point the gains become diminishing returns...itd be easier for me to lose 10 lbs :-D

#16 ·
If the current airfilter flows more air than is required, changing to a higher flow filter should do nothing, not even make it run lean. - Just theorizing here.

Often the best increases come from matched mods.

A more open pipe (one the factory wouldn't be "allowed" to fit)
A more open air filter (one that might not suit many owners due maintenance/noise)
A remamp to suit (including remapping for better fuel - that the factory couldn't relay on everyone using)

The factory's are pretty smart, easy gains are few and far between.

Losing weight, form the pilot, is a great idea. Aids acceleration and braking. But also, the heavier you are the harder you fall. My friend pointed out that we are all (friends in my age group) the heaviest we have ever been, and land "harder", with more momentum. He told me this when he had a broken collarbone and I was recovering from elbow surgery. I wish I were lighter. (I've given up a lot of sugar. Even fruit juice. Seen the insane amounts of sugar in some low fat yogurt? More than soda!)

#17 · (Edited)
Rexxer has confirmed that there are multiple versions of the 701 firmware. There are some that work with their unit and some don't. I'm still waiting to hear back from them if mine is compatible.

On a side note, the PCV is finally released for the 701! I may order one... :lol:

EDIT: PCV + Map Switch ordered

#18 ·
Rottweiler have confirmed that they'll have maps out soon. They're waiting on the PC5 to arrive so that they may begin testing, maps will come a couple of days after. I'll be sure to add it to first post once they do.

#19 ·
PC5 arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, it didn't get delivered in time before I left for a vacation. I'm planning to do the install either Sunday or Monday night, and will do a write up then!

#24 ·
Well, it's all together with a map switch and DynoJet-provided maps! The install was really straightforward. The downside is if you're running a stock airbox, you'll need to remove it to get to the FI plug. Thankfully the Rottweiler intake opens up enough room under the seat for this to not be necessary anymore.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByRGu8diaz_Ob0FoV1VRSU02OTQ/view?usp=sharing

Software:
Make sure you're running Windows natively on a machine (or via live CD/USB), otherwise the PC5 unit won't be recognized. I found this out the hard way and had to install Windows 7 on my laptop before I could get it to work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByRGu8diaz_OejZ4NURVUWg2UlE/view?usp=sharing

Bike:
It sounds, smells, and feels like a different animal! Idle is very stable now and exhaust finally has that nice rich smell to it. Throttle response seems to have also improved, however I haven't really been able to test it fully since it's pouring in Seattle right now.

I'll be waiting for Rottweiler to release their own map, and will take my bike to get dyno tuned very soon!

#26 ·
I've removed the canister and installed the block off plate. It's mainly for weight reduction and peace of mind, I didn't really notice a difference in power. The PC5 gets rid of the O2 sensor so that's gone on my bike as well now.

#29 ·
First Ride Report

I had a chance to take the bike out for a quick spin today. Wasn't able to ride for too long since the temperature was below freezing, but I could still get a general feel for the bike.

The most noticeable change was the reduced engine braking. This may throw some people off, but was a welcome change since I ride a lot of two-strokes. This allows for the rear tire to stick while going into corners fast and removes some of the hesitation in low speed corners.

Power is much steadier now and comes on earlier/smoother. Before I had to caress the bike a little to power wheelie in higher gears. Now it simply feels natural.

#33 ·
Plug and play, since it's a piggyback.. It's connected between the ECU and you'r sensors/injector etc.

Unit can be on bike while mapping yes.

SAS/SLS/EVAP, try google. You will find many guides and pictures, no power gain in removing it tough.

#38 ·
Tuning

No Vortex ECU planned for the 701.

Looks like the PCV is the best (only?) option.
Do I understand this correctly? Plug the PCV in with the map closest to the setup (pipe/filter/fuel) you have and it should be ok? Then, for best results, take it to a dyno tune place for fine tuning?

#40 ·
Have you found anyone that can flash your ECU?
I think that is the issue.

I think I'm starting to understand what the PC does as far as fueling goes.
If I have it correct it piggy backs on, an set to "0" does nothing. Then at various rpm? You can set + or - fuel (+ 1% or plus 50% or whatever is required.)
I assume something similar regards ignition timing IE change advance at different rpms. (Potentially complicated on the twin plug engine that allegedly comes with different mapping for each plug.

Can anyone confirm, or correct me?

Is yours a 2017?

#43 ·
I bought my 2017 701 yesterday. I ordered a Wings with it, via the dealer. I explained that I was going to open the air box myself, similar to the Husky performance kit version, and I asked if he could flash the performance engine map to the ECU for me. He didn't know what I was talking about, but after a few phone calls, told me that they now had the map on the Husky tool, and would flash it for me when they fit the Wings. Worth talking to your friendly dealer!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#48 ·
#49 ·
Rottweiler has finally released their PC5 maps designed for their intake paired with the Arrow exhaust (similar to Wings).

Fuel + Ignition:
http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/701-enduro-2016-intake-muffler-power-fuel-ignition-map/

Fuel Only:
http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/701-enduro-2016-intake-muffler-power-fuel-only-map/

Note: If you have purchased their intake or a PC5 unit directly from them, send an e-mail to get a coupon code for the map.
Thanks for that. Only appears to be available for the 2016. I ordered a PCV from them and asked for a map to suit a 2017 with open air filter and pipe. I'll see what arrives.

Their service has been great so far. (Emailing a demented Aussie with answers to my OCD questions.)

#54 ·
I finally got my power commander... installed it, and loaded both dynojet's maps.
That's ok, it works.

I find these maps "stranges"...
Why do we have "+15" then "-6" and back "+3" in 3 consecutives cells ? 2250 2500 and 2750rpm
Or from +24 at 3750 to -12 at 4750
Or from +15 at 5% throttle to -5 at 10%
There is corrections where the engine never goes 7500RPM for 10% throttle ? or 2250Rpm for 100% throttle !
Both maps are quite identicals at 80% and 100% throttle ? (one is for stock exhaust and the other for wing without baffle, that can't be the same setting !)

Well I had exactly the same on my 510smr PC5. I finally endend making my own mapping and the result was much better.
(Yes I tried to give the bike to the local dyno, he just printed the curves and said "everything is Okay"... no "fine tuning"...)

I've already modified those ones and I find it's much better, more "kick ass" feeling.

We should share our maps... (although rottweiler sells them...not fair...), it's easy to load, try, give feedbacks, and improve or adapt from a bike to another.
Also, I have no idea of how the ignition map works ? Anybody does ?

#55 ·
We should share our maps... (although rottweiler sells them...not fair...), it's easy to load, try, give feedbacks, and improve or adapt from a bike to another.
Also, I have no idea of how the ignition map works ? Anybody does ?
I agree. I just had my bike on the legendary mustang dyno with 5 gas analyzer yesterday. If your not familiar with it, this dyno loads your bike based on actual vehicle weight and aero drag coefficient. It was pretty crazy watching it happen. He tuned it to each rpm increment at full load. so he could be at full throttle/full load and the dyno would force the bike to stay at the target rpm. he did this throughout the entire rpm range, very lengthy process and not cheap.

one thing i did notice on the pcv maps from the stock one vs wings baffles removed one was NO IGNITION CHANGES?!?!

and all that crap that your talking about at the beginning of the rpm band was all eliminated in this tune.

I'd be happy to share.

#68 ·
How's everyone's 701 doing? Any big changes to your motors?

My bike currently has the Rottweilier intake, wings exhaust, PC5 w/Rottweiller map, and all smog-related equipment removed. Back in June, the bike got a new top end installed by the dealer under warranty (at ~6200mi) due to excessive oil usage. It appears to fair better since then, and I'm still running dyno oil to make sure that the rings seat properly the second time around. Either this week or the next I'll be installing the 690 rally cam on the bike and getting it dyno tuned by Nels at 2WheelDynoworks. Currently waiting for those parts to arrive.

Happy riding!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.