701 SM: Engine Tuning
Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: 701 SM: Engine Tuning

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default 701 SM: Engine Tuning

    Latest Updates...


    • PC5 was backordered when I placed my order on 12/27. They expect new units to arrive on 1/3 and ship, hopefully, the same day.
    • Orders have been shipped!
    • PC5 has arrived! I'll do the install either on 1/8 or 1/9.
    • PC5 successfully installed with DJ map #502.


    PowerCommander V


    Easy install, very clean software with on-the-fly stats. Bike finally feels like it has come to life, even with the DJ base map. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it can do after a full dyno tune!

    DynoJet map for custom exhaust and intake: [23-015-502.pvm]
    Rottweiler map: COMING SOON

    Rexxer User Evo


    TL;DR - Bought User Evo, couldn't get it work for almost 3 months. Come to find out, the Rexxer unit is incompatible with some firmware versions on the bike (there are 2 or more different ones). Rexxer will continue working on supporting the bike in the future, but no ETA at the moment.

    So I went ahead and bought the Rexxer User Evo for my 701. It was shipped very quickly and arrived in nice packaging. Connecting it to my computer was a breeze, it auto-updated as soon as I opened up the software. This is about as far as I've been able to get so far.

    Based on the instructions and word from Rexxer directly, I should have been able to plug the unit into the bike and load the stock map. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be recognizing the ECU

    I then went ahead and double-checked the ECU service port wiring vs the cable that was given to me with the Rexxer. It definitely doesn't look right.

    ECU:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByR...ew?usp=sharing

    Rexxer:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByR...ew?usp=sharing

    As you can see, one of the wires doesn't even go anywhere. From my limited knowledge, I'd assume there would be a power, ground, and signal wire. All of them actually leading somewhere.

    For those of you that modified the KTM PC5 wiring, can you post up some pictures or wiring diagrams of what you changed? If it uses the same port, I may be able to figure out if I need to change anything on my end to make it work.
    Last edited by rusky; 1 Week Ago at 10:53 PM.

  2.  
    Advertisement
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusky View Post
    So I went ahead and bought the Rexxer User Evo for my 701. It was shipped very quickly and arrived in nice packaging. Connecting it to my computer was a breeze, it auto-updated as soon as I opened up the software. This is about as far as I've been able to get so far.

    Based on the instructions and word from Rexxer directly, I should have been able to plug the unit into the bike and load the stock map. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be recognizing the ECU

    I then went ahead and double-checked the ECU service port wiring vs the cable that was given to me with the Rexxer. It definitely doesn't look right.

    ECU:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByR...ew?usp=sharing

    Rexxer:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByR...ew?usp=sharing

    As you can see, one of the wires doesn't even go anywhere. From my limited knowledge, I'd assume there would be a power, ground, and signal wire. All of them actually leading somewhere.

    For those of you that modified the KTM PC5 wiring, can you post up some pictures or wiring diagrams of what you changed? If it uses the same port, I may be able to figure out if I need to change anything on my end to make it work.
    Any update from Rexxer Support?
    --
    2016 Husqvarna 701 Supermoto..............| https://flic.kr/p/H9QJ1T
    1993 Harley-Davidson FXRS-SP Custom....| https://flic.kr/p/HfS2Yc

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ram9cc View Post
    Any update from Rexxer Support?
    I'm still working with them. First run through the logs showed that my battery was a bit on the low side. I charged it up and let it trickle charge for a few hours after - still the same behavior. We continue troubleshooting tomorrow.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Were you able to identify the issue with the harness?
    --
    2016 Husqvarna 701 Supermoto..............| https://flic.kr/p/H9QJ1T
    1993 Harley-Davidson FXRS-SP Custom....| https://flic.kr/p/HfS2Yc

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ram9cc View Post
    Were you able to identify the issue with the harness?
    Been busy with holiday stuff. I sent the unit and cable back to Rexxer so that they can figure out what's wrong. It was supposed to arrive today so I'll hear back from them on Monday most likely.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default Quick update...

    After doing testing on my end, and Rexxer going through logs, we've come to the conclusion that I just got a faulty unit. A new one will be sent out to me next week (they're waiting on parts). In the meantime, I ordered up the new Rottweiler intake kit with underseat storage bag to complement the upcoming tune.

    http://www.rottweilerperformance.com...intake-system/
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Can't wait to see what you find.
    DJ is dragging its feet with PCV release...

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    Can't wait to see what you find.
    DJ is dragging its feet with PCV release...
    They really are! There's absolutely no reason why it should take almost a whole year to release a unit that's nearly identical to the KTM 690 Enduro/SMR.

    I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have the replacement unit by this Friday. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the Rottweiler intake install to hold you guys over!

    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...HF4NHVoclNKZlE

    Quality: 10
    Looks: 10
    Fit: 4
    Performance: ?

    Notes for anyone who purchases this kit in the future:

    1. The air sensor wire is just a tad bit too short so you'll have to route it near the back of the intake. Clipping it in with the intake installed is a huge pain.

    2. The bracket uses the same mounts as the radiator shrouds and is really frustrating to install. Make sure to add the 2 extra plastic washers between the bracket and frame mount, otherwise your bolts will go in too far and you won't be able to use the shroud clips.

    3. There is minimal maneuvering room for the intake near the rear of the bike. Check fit WITH the filter on to make sure that you can take it on/off, it doesn't rub on the gas tank, and that the seat will actually fit.

    4. Can't say anything about performance yet but it did sound nice when I ran the bike to let the ECU adjust. Idle - can't tell a difference between stock, Throttle Blip - can definitely hear the bike finally breathing.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast. QLD. OZ
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusky View Post
    They really are! There's absolutely no reason why it should take almost a whole year to release a unit that's nearly identical to the KTM 690 Enduro/SMR.

    I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have the replacement unit by this Friday. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the Rottweiler intake install to hold you guys over!

    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...HF4NHVoclNKZlE

    Quality: 10
    Looks: 10
    Fit: 4
    Performance: ?

    Notes for anyone who purchases this kit in the future:

    1. The air sensor wire is just a tad bit too short so you'll have to route it near the back of the intake. Clipping it in with the intake installed is a huge pain.

    2. The bracket uses the same mounts as the radiator shrouds and is really frustrating to install. Make sure to add the 2 extra plastic washers between the bracket and frame mount, otherwise your bolts will go in too far and you won't be able to use the shroud clips.

    3. There is minimal maneuvering room for the intake near the rear of the bike. Check fit WITH the filter on to make sure that you can take it on/off, it doesn't rub on the gas tank, and that the seat will actually fit.

    4. Can't say anything about performance yet but it did sound nice when I ran the bike to let the ECU adjust. Idle - can't tell a difference between stock, Throttle Blip - can definitely hear the bike finally breathing.
    Great write up. Thanks.
    I was drooling just looking at that air cleaner kit. Trying to justify it over the Evo II K&N I have on my 690, and intend to fit to my 701 (if I pull the trigger)
    Completely different approaches. I'd really like to know about performance differences (both should flow heaps more than the stocker!
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    KTMs- '08 690Enduro (SM conversion) '06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard (Yee Ha)
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    Great write up. Thanks.
    I was drooling just looking at that air cleaner kit. Trying to justify it over the Evo II K&N I have on my 690, and intend to fit to my 701 (if I pull the trigger)
    Completely different approaches. I'd really like to know about performance differences (both should flow heaps more than the stocker!
    Based on the dyno graphs I've seen, the Rottweiler kit flows better up top and gives about 2hp more overall. We'll see for sure in a couple of weeks!
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast. QLD. OZ
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusky View Post
    Based on the dyno graphs I've seen, the Rottweiler kit flows better up top and gives about 2hp more overall. We'll see for sure in a couple of weeks!
    2hp better than the stock filter?
    I'm wondering how that compares to the Evo II open filter.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    KTMs- '08 690Enduro (SM conversion) '06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard (Yee Ha)
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    2hp better than the stock filter?
    I'm wondering how that compares to the Evo II open filter.
    An open exhaust + evo II cover are good for ~10 HP on the low end to mid range. Rottweiler takes this to 12-13 HP, with greater top end. This is strictly based on dyno graphs posted here and by the Rottweiler guys.

    Note: numbers include a tune
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast. QLD. OZ
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusky View Post
    An open exhaust + evo II cover are good for ~10 HP on the low end to mid range. Rottweiler takes this to 12-13 HP, with greater top end. This is strictly based on dyno graphs posted here and by the Rottweiler guys.

    Note: numbers include a tune
    Thanks- interesting info.
    The "cover" is "Evo I".
    "Evo II" is a pod style K&N, should flow plenty. But a very different approach to the Rottweiler.
    Love the soft bag, that is available with the Rottweiler for storage in the space liberated by fitting the new filter.

    I can fit my phone in the repositioned battery holder with the Evo II setup, and a lipo battery.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    KTMs- '08 690Enduro (SM conversion) '06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard (Yee Ha)
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    Thanks- interesting info.
    The "cover" is "Evo I".
    "Evo II" is a pod style K&N, should flow plenty. But a very different approach to the Rottweiler.
    Love the soft bag, that is available with the Rottweiler for storage in the space liberated by fitting the new filter.

    I can fit my phone in the repositioned battery holder with the Evo II setup, and a lipo battery.
    The big difference between the pod filter and Rottweiler is that there's no velocity stack. I'm curious how that affects power delivery compared to yours.

    The storage bag is great! I was finally able to get rid of the annoying toolbag holder underneath the left radiator shroud and move the tools under the seat. Time will tell how well it holds up to the heat from the cylinder head.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I have the pod filter installed but didn't notice any gain but I'm Still using the stock airbox bc i dont want to run too lean. Open airbox lid is sitting on the shelf waiting on pcV.
    I think at that point the gains become diminishing returns...itd be easier for me to lose 10 lbs :-D

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast. QLD. OZ
    Posts
    557

    Default

    If the current airfilter flows more air than is required, changing to a higher flow filter should do nothing, not even make it run lean. - Just theorizing here.

    Often the best increases come from matched mods.

    A more open pipe (one the factory wouldn't be "allowed" to fit)
    A more open air filter (one that might not suit many owners due maintenance/noise)
    A remamp to suit (including remapping for better fuel - that the factory couldn't relay on everyone using)

    The factory's are pretty smart, easy gains are few and far between.

    Losing weight, form the pilot, is a great idea. Aids acceleration and braking. But also, the heavier you are the harder you fall. My friend pointed out that we are all (friends in my age group) the heaviest we have ever been, and land "harder", with more momentum. He told me this when he had a broken collarbone and I was recovering from elbow surgery. I wish I were lighter. (I've given up a lot of sugar. Even fruit juice. Seen the insane amounts of sugar in some low fat yogurt? More than soda!)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    KTMs- '08 690Enduro (SM conversion) '06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard (Yee Ha)
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Rexxer has confirmed that there are multiple versions of the 701 firmware. There are some that work with their unit and some don't. I'm still waiting to hear back from them if mine is compatible.

    On a side note, the PCV is finally released for the 701! I may order one...

    EDIT: PCV + Map Switch ordered
    Last edited by rusky; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:36 PM.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Rottweiler have confirmed that they'll have maps out soon. They're waiting on the PC5 to arrive so that they may begin testing, maps will come a couple of days after. I'll be sure to add it to first post once they do.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    PC5 arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, it didn't get delivered in time before I left for a vacation. I'm planning to do the install either Sunday or Monday night, and will do a write up then!
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusky View Post
    PC5 arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, it didn't get delivered in time before I left for a vacation. I'm planning to do the install either Sunday or Monday night, and will do a write up then!
    Rusky, 3 days don't make a vacation. So abort that plan and work on the 701, I'm quite sure everyone here would be happy.

  23. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    Rusky, 3 days don't make a vacation. So abort that plan and work on the 701, I'm quite sure everyone here would be happy.
    They do when there's a snow storm inbound! As much as I enjoy motorcycles, laying down fresh tracks in the snow is equally important.

    I'm with you though, was really hoping to have it installed sooner. Should be back home early enough tomorrow to tinker with the bike.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  24. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusky View Post
    They do when there's a snow storm inbound! As much as I enjoy motorcycles, laying down fresh tracks in the snow is equally important.

    I'm with you though, was really hoping to have it installed sooner. Should be back home early enough tomorrow to tinker with the bike.
    As always I have to be the devil's advocate. You could've installed a Timbersled kit and the PCV and killed two birds with one stone.

  25. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    As always I have to be the devil's advocate. You could've installed a Timbersled kit and the PCV and killed two birds with one stone.
    Already looked into it! No kits for the 701/690 though...

    I do have a snowbike build planned in the future. It'll be based on a 450sxf, fc450, or yz450f.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Cool

    Well, it's all together with a map switch and DynoJet-provided maps! The install was really straightforward. The downside is if you're running a stock airbox, you'll need to remove it to get to the FI plug. Thankfully the Rottweiler intake opens up enough room under the seat for this to not be necessary anymore.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByR...ew?usp=sharing

    Software:
    Make sure you're running Windows natively on a machine (or via live CD/USB), otherwise the PC5 unit won't be recognized. I found this out the hard way and had to install Windows 7 on my laptop before I could get it to work.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByR...ew?usp=sharing

    Bike:
    It sounds, smells, and feels like a different animal! Idle is very stable now and exhaust finally has that nice rich smell to it. Throttle response seems to have also improved, however I haven't really been able to test it fully since it's pouring in Seattle right now.

    I'll be waiting for Rottweiler to release their own map, and will take my bike to get dyno tuned very soon!
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  27. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Have a Rottweiler fitted with a Akra can with dB removed. Makes a big difference. Next is PC5.
    Has anyone fitted the SAS/SLS Valve Removal kit and blanking plate and also removed the oxygen sensor?

  28. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian150 View Post
    Have a Rottweiler fitted with a Akra can with dB removed. Makes a big difference. Next is PC5.
    Has anyone fitted the SAS/SLS Valve Removal kit and blanking plate and also removed the oxygen sensor?
    I've removed the canister and installed the block off plate. It's mainly for weight reduction and peace of mind, I didn't really notice a difference in power. The PC5 gets rid of the O2 sensor so that's gone on my bike as well now.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  29. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South coast, France
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Hi guys,

    Anyone got a link for PC5 in Europe ? It's not available in France yet and I can't find any ...

  30. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ald View Post
    Hi guys,

    Anyone got a link for PC5 in Europe ? It's not available in France yet and I can't find any ...
    I would contact DynoJet directly to see if they can ship internationally.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  31. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default First Ride Report

    I had a chance to take the bike out for a quick spin today. Wasn't able to ride for too long since the temperature was below freezing, but I could still get a general feel for the bike.

    The most noticeable change was the reduced engine braking. This may throw some people off, but was a welcome change since I ride a lot of two-strokes. This allows for the rear tire to stick while going into corners fast and removes some of the hesitation in low speed corners.

    Power is much steadier now and comes on earlier/smoother. Before I had to caress the bike a little to power wheelie in higher gears. Now it simply feels natural.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  32. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Nice. Thanks for ALL of the write-ups Rusky!
    87 RM 80-sold
    97 DR 350 Se-Daily driver - **FOR SALE**
    07 DRZ 400 SM-stolen
    08 Aprilia sxv 550-returned
    17 Husky 701 SM-Waiting delivery

  33. #31
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ald View Post
    Hi guys,

    Anyone got a link for PC5 in Europe ? It's not available in France yet and I can't find any ...
    From Germany: https://www.micronsystems.de/dynojet...supermoto.html
    2014 KTM 690 Enduro R with SMC R SuperMoto Wheels

  34. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Having never dealt with a PC5 before, are these plug and play? Or is there wire splicing etc involved?

    And do you upload maps with the unit fitted on the bike or does it have to be removed?

    Finally, what is the sas/sls valve removal all about?

  35. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fmp View Post
    Having never dealt with a PC5 before, are these plug and play? Or is there wire splicing etc involved?

    And do you upload maps with the unit fitted on the bike or does it have to be removed?

    Finally, what is the sas/sls valve removal all about?
    Plug and play, since it's a piggyback.. It's connected between the ECU and you'r sensors/injector etc.

    Unit can be on bike while mapping yes.

    SAS/SLS/EVAP, try google. You will find many guides and pictures, no power gain in removing it tough.
    Current bike: Husqvarna 701 Supermoto 2017
    Previously owned: XR600 -92, 660 SMC -04

  36. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South coast, France
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Thanks, I'll send them a mail, I can't read German...

    I sent a mail to Dynojet, no response. Anyway with shipping from us and taxes...I should better wait 1 or 2 weeks to be it's available here.

  37. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusky View Post
    Well, it's all together with a map switch and DynoJet-provided maps! The install was really straightforward. The downside is if you're running a stock airbox, you'll need to remove it to get to the FI plug. Thankfully the Rottweiler intake opens up enough room under the seat for this to not be necessary anymore.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByR...ew?usp=sharing

    Software:
    Make sure you're running Windows natively on a machine (or via live CD/USB), otherwise the PC5 unit won't be recognized. I found this out the hard way and had to install Windows 7 on my laptop before I could get it to work.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByR...ew?usp=sharing

    Bike:
    It sounds, smells, and feels like a different animal! Idle is very stable now and exhaust finally has that nice rich smell to it. Throttle response seems to have also improved, however I haven't really been able to test it fully since it's pouring in Seattle right now.

    I'll be waiting for Rottweiler to release their own map, and will take my bike to get dyno tuned very soon!
    What Map switch did you use? Was it the Husqvarna one?

  38. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian150 View Post
    What Map switch did you use? Was it the Husqvarna one?
    I bought the PC5 switch, but any basic 2-wire switch will work.
    '16 Husky 701 SM

  39.  
    Advertisement

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •