SuperMoto Junkie banner

Crf450r 03 sumo build.

6K views 47 replies 5 participants last post by  wesleelamarhein 
#1 ·
My first sumo project... Let's see how she comes along.

Price of bike 600$ cash needs crank
Price of crank 300$ +/-
Price of plastics and discontinued graphics 105$
Price of sumo wheels tires brakes 1200$ +/-
Price of labor free fifty free!

Pictures of my bike when bought
Graphics off eBay
And what the graphics look like on a bike.

Next wheels, crank, bars that match graphics which I have in stock at the shop.

Will post pics when new plastics arrive!

Doing a 05 air box swap.
07 front number plate swap.
07 side number plate swap.
07 radiator shroud swap.

Now that's legitness!

Hope you guys enjoy and I will post info on fab needed to fit 05 box to 03 subframe for you fellow 03 crf.. Owners!!!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
The top end is brand new.. The bikes kickstart locks up on occasion.. And past experience on him dad when that happens crank is always bad.. So I have yet to start it I'm going to open her up check crank could just be bearings or a washer in wrong who knows... Wheels are going to be warp 9 gold wheel black spoke black hub silver nips.. Top end being new and he said it was just rebuilt I talked to the builder this bike was a price when he built it.. Had the suspension rd built and tuned.. Has a stage 2 cam.. Gonna mild port and Polish head.. Leave everything stock.. 14/42 gearing for my super light weight I'll keep most bottom end power and gap enough for highway speed.. But that's pretty much it I beleive.. Plastics will be in in a few days.. I'll keep you all posted.. Box mods going to be fun I think * sarcasm *

#8 ·
Well started tear down process today.. Might pick it up later or tomorrow who knows.. Got life stuff to do plus lazy time and sleep time but anyways.. Drained all the fluids. * actually they did it themselves for me? No coolant in bike no oil in clutch side barley any in stator side * pulled all plastics and radiators and exhaust... Exhaust side port on head looks. Like dick.. Obviously gonna need to re-jet it.. Suspension was re valved and shimmed by jm suspension rebuilt rear shock with 5.4 spring stage 2 cam all new steering bearings and hub bearings. Found a lot of aftermarket shinie stuffs mmmm yummy. Full triple clamps applied racing a loudmxracing airfilter hooha billet fancy shiny clutch cable clip applied bar risers and clamps. Found a awesome "custom" rust patina chain. Very nice and ebc red pads all the way around. Sooo let's see what we find when we open her up [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] enjoy the build err I mean de build tear down mass destruction. Project and thanks for following! Will include pics and info on the updated shrouds and airbox with mods needed to complete or if such bolts directly up. Thank y'all and stay rubber side down pimps and pimpettes!! Keep it gangsterr!!

#12 ·
Well guys continued my exploration today and discover my decompressor arm broke in the valve cover. So turns out I probably do not need a crank I assume that the peices were loding stuff up when starting. So I think I'm going to finish pulling the other side case. Pulled stator side today and found no metal peices going to pull clutch and see if I find any there and if not putting it back together and brap brap brrraaaaappppppp!!!!!!

#16 ·
well guys... Got it started tonight... That compression stroke is a bitch without that decomp.. Assembly bout to order one off eBay 30$. Taught my brother a little about rebuilding motors today as well and in the process discovered some more billet shinie goodness... a hinson clutch set up!!!!! Woot woot!!!! Man o man bike don't need a crank bikes got a ton of goodies already bolted on went from needing a 300$ part to a 30$ part this bike really turned out to be a diamond in the rough!!! I reallyy hope you guys are enjoying this build as much as I am!!! Should have the plastics in soon aswell and should be getting my warp9 golds very soon aswell!!!! Thank you guys for your feedback and interest and comments if anyone is in the west texas region feel free to contact me and mob it up with us at pro moto garage check us out on facebook aswell!!!!

#18 ·
Thanks man.... Gonna spend the night at the shop and finish putting the water pump and radiators on and what not... Yes I burped it off without these things on... Only ran it for like 3 seconds.. No harm done.. Do it all the time... Omg I'm so excited!!!! Yussss!!!!

#19 ·
Well my plastics graphics still have not arrived :( but on the bright side.. I found half the auto decompression set up here at the shop XD and ill be ordering my wheels in a few days aswell :) so she's just chilling in the shop naked :/ thinking about seling my excel dirt set. Also have a mega bomb pipe in the shop for it to. I think it needs a weld but hell yeah. If it works good probably sell my power bomb pipe. Let's seee.... oh yeah also end up selling my old set of plastics and air box. Umm.. yeah if anyone is interested hit me up. Ill post pictures AS SOON AS I GET THE NEW PARTS!!!!!!

#25 ·

Its basically the same airbox just with a longer tail.. you will see some molding lines cut on the longer one and then trim off the top because its molded slightly different for a mor boxier sub. The 03 is more triangular on the upper part.. just cut for clearance... not the boot mounts guys -_- and then drill your mounting holes and presto changeo you've made the 08 airbox fit the 03 sub without swapping subs and without cutting your sub. I don't really see why anything would cause an airleak anywhere the number plates don't " exactly " mount up but hey its a dirtbike. If you want the updated look without swapping subs and shit just buy the plastics and cut and drill... only reason I wewnt this way was because the graphics are discontinued and extremely hard to find. Other than that just buy the acerbis updated plastics kit lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.