Yet another WR450... Rebuild.

Thread: Yet another WR450... Rebuild.

Hybrid View

Default Yet another WR450... Rebuild.

Earlier this year, I snapped up a cheap 2004 WR450F, with dirt and SuMo wheels.

It was a non-runner, sitting in a garage for about 3 years.

I saw the bike roughly 3 years ago for sale, but at that time it came with 2 frames, and was about 50% more expensive.

This bike came with a TON of spare parts, including a complete wiring harness, extra gas tank and full plastic kit, spare carb (which I regret selling, I'll make a post about that), a complete second rear brake, and... a FULL Tusk Enduro Lighting Kit.

I'll try and make posts about progress that I made to it a while back, till current state. I've already been riding the bike, and put about 2000 km on it, and fixed a bunch of stuff that I list below.

Picture below, is how the bike was as I bought it, in it's non-running state.

And some of the parts I received with it.

The bike also is grandfathered in to be road legal in Ontario

The List:
    Get Running
    Install Enduro Lighting Kit and Vapor Dash
    Fix Exhaust
    Fix Suspension (Front too hard, rear too soft)
    Partially re-make the entire wiring harness, and remove erroneous items (Clutch switch, kill switch, wires for ignition light, etc...)
    Paint/Powder Coat the frame black
    Paint the engine to make it looks nice
    Dye all the plastics black
    Buy/Install Seat Concepts seat
    Possibly new rads and rad guards
    Possibly get a nicer headlight
    Replace steering stem bearings
    Maybe get new tires (The Pirelli's are 10 years old, and never used, but not dry...)
    Upgrade to Fat Bars
    Get proper hand guards (Zeta or Emperor Racing that mount to the bar clamps)
    Big maaaaybe is upgrade the front brake
    As well as one day get a new carb (This is a long story)

Snow is going to fly any day now, which means I'll be pretty busy with work, so I've got all winter to finish or get this project back on the road.

This WR450 replaced a Husaberg FS550 which I rebuilt the motor over last winter to flip the bike, sure the WR is a little slower and a little fatter, but it won't need nearly as much maintenance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The first thing I had to do to get the bike running was check the valves.

Bad previous owner, bad....

This guy must have put in a + instead of - on his calculator and got the wrong shims.

Had to swap around the smallest shim I had to measure the clearance and determine that I needed 3 shims in the end.

The bike wouldn't run at all before I did the shims.

The second thing that needed to happen to get the bike running right, is ideally a new carb.

The bike came with 2 carbs, one really dirty one, and one clean one.

Now, for some reason, I didn't look inside the dirty carb, and just assumed that it was older and probably had more junk inside to clean out of it.

So I sold it, to recoup some money and make the bike a little cheaper, I was considering flipping it at first like the last bike I had, and what better way to make some additional profit, than to sell the spare parts.

Well, that was a bad idea, the clean carb turns out to have a worn slide, which is preventing me from raising the idle any higher than 1600 rpm, or else it hangs because the slide catches on the wear marks in the carb body.

It also had a secret hiding in it, some funny guy at the factory decided to do something very mean.

The check valve for the AP nozzle was pressed in all the way, not allowing any flow, in or out of the nozzle.

Had to drill and put a screw in the valve to pull it out, and re-insert it so that the valve worked.

Yep, wish I hadn't sold the other carb when I found all this out.

After I got the bike running as best I could, I installed the Tusk Enduro Lighting Kit, and the Vapor Dash.

Also found a good deal on a Leo Vince system that was sitting around for 10 years, the stock can sounds so incredibly bad.

Selling that other carb nearly paid for the new exhaust.

When I installed the Lighting Harness, I also bought an R6 start/stop switch, to clean up the bars.
    Last edited by Borg; 11-12-2016 at 07:58 PM.

So, at this point I was fairly happy with the bike, except the the suspension.

I rode it for a few months with horrible suspension, just taking cruises to the local 60km~ away coffee shop at the twisties.

This winter I decided I need to do something about the suspension on the bike.

It came into the house, and decided, I've got all winter, lets make this bike nice, and unique-ish at the same time.

First thing I did was fix the forks, the bushings were shot, and the seals were "All Balls"... Chinese junk.

New OEM Seals and Bushings, the forks are nice and smooth now.

I've always had the issue of the forks feeling too hard, and the rear shock was waaaaay too soft.

Rear spring is currently in the mail, and I hope the stock fork springs are stiff enough and they work well together.

While I wait for the rear spring, I've decided to take on the wiring harness.

Anyone who has ever owned a WR450 knows about the horrible rats nest behind the headlight, and all the silly connectors stuffed between the rads in the triangle opening of the frame?

Well, I want to fix that.

For starters, I removed the neutral switch, clutch switch, and the kill switch since I have an R6 start/stop switch.

Since the safety switches were removed, I also removed the 2 diode/relay things.

This ended up removing 7 connectors in total from the main harness, and an 8th one is going as well, I just need to order a 4 pin Deutsch connector and crimping tool.

The ECU now has 7 wires that are not in use, so I combined the remaining 5 from the dual 6 pin connectors into just 1.

Will also be replacing a bunch of the ugly bullet connectors from the Tusk harness, so it's easier to remove/install stuff, and also waterproof.

I integrated the tach sensor into the harness while I was in there, why not right?

I wrapped the entire harness with some fancy wiring harness tape, so it doesn't become a gooey mess like it was before.

Originally I planned on combining the Tusk harness into the main bike harness, but I decided to leave it separate, in case there is a time when it becomes a race bike, you can just remove the entire lighting harness and lights as one.

Or it was rebuilt and the pressure pushed out the Schrader valve threads. Never count your epiphanies before the hatch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nah, I tightened the valve core, it was loose.

Got my black plastics in the mail today

And one of the brake parts I decided to go with.

If it's too wooden with the caliper I bought, I'll just replace the reservoir pipe and lever and probably sell it.. can probably make a profit off it.

ok.. I'll follow along.. I may pick up an 04 WR450 soon....

Picked up this Brembo 4 pot caliper from a KTM 640 Supermoto for quite cheap, included a SS brake line, that I won't be using, anyone want to buy it?

I already know I'll have to grind it down, do the KTM's really have that much wider front ends?

Also new rotor you can see in the background, because the EBC rotor will not work with a Brembo caliper. EBC rotor and adapter for sale!

Did a bunch of measuring...

No way that caliper will work even if I take off 3mm from the back.

Anyone want to buy a KTM Duke II Caliper?