SuperMoto Junkie banner

2014 Sherco se-r 300

6K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  StupendousMan 
#1 · (Edited)
New guy here, so hi. I brought home my first proper dirtbike today, and by spring it will be my first supermoto.

Bike needs at least a piston and rod, wheels, stickers (most important obviously), bigger brake disk and caliper bracket, and fixing some minor stuff. It rides great as is. Also need to install street stuff to get license plate.

This thing will see regular track time, some forest action, and street use. I'm still undecided on wheel size. The rear 17x5 is a no-brainer, but I'm tempted by a 16.5" front. I'll be riding to trackdays, meaning I definitely won't be using tire warmers. Does that mean I should forget about slicks?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Holy crap, you win the award for most hilarious hand guards on SMJ I think.
Thanks =D

The wheels are on the way. I settled on KTM Duke/RC 125/200/390 stock wheels. That's after measuring the max tire sizes as 110 and 150, which are oe fitment on said wheels.

I might try to squeeze 120 and 160 slicks on the bike later, if I feel I need more rubber. I haven't been on track in a decade, but I've been told street tires have advanced considerably.

#10 ·
Yeah, cast. Lots available on ebay, and pretty nice looking. Also, you can get floating 320mm rotors for the front from KTM. I'd really like a 6mm thick cast iron race rotor though, but I haven't found them yet. I have a couple 300mm ones here, that I could make the center for, but then I'd also have to machine the caliper adapter, and I'd rather not.

I now have a Brembo 16x18 master coming as well. Purte1 still has not shipped the radial caliper adapter, luckily there are others available if that doesn't work out.

#12 ·
I have to get a Purte1 adapter as well soon.

They respond fast to e-mails I sent with questions.

That wheel looks nice, I wouldn't be too keen on trying to squeeze fatter tires on the wheels though, the tire profile can end up weird with less contact patch.

#13 · (Edited)
Test fitting and measuring front wheel.

Can't get 20x35 mm bearings from any of the major manufacturers, which means a bit more lathe work. I need to either make a new 15mm axle for the Sherco's WP forks, or machine the wheel to take the Sherco 20mm axle and 20x42 bearings.

I prefer the latter option, but no one I know has a lathe big enough for a wheel. So I guess I'll make a new axle. It won't be as light as the original hollow one, but at least I can build in crash bobbin mounts.

Attachments

#14 ·
I've been down that road.

Buy the front axle from the KTM, and machine sleeves to adapt the fork bottoms to the axle.

That way you already have an axle for that wheel, with the factory sized bearings. Just some overly complex spacers per-se.

As you can see in the pictures... On my Husky I adapted the 17mm front SV650 axle to the 24mm? fork bottoms.

Attachments

#17 ·
I think it would be difficult to have similar brackets milled for much less, unless you make a bunch. Then again, I'm sure you could sell a bunch on this very site.

The thing bolted on, but my caliper interferes with the adapter and won't quite fit all the way in. No big deal, needs only the slightest touch of a file. Also the bolts that come with the adapter are silly long.

#19 ·
Mine's a basic Brembo, from a Ducati Monster 696. I didn't have time for a proper look, but it seemed something was touching maybe 0.5mm before the caliper was in it's place.

BTW. I found a new set of full floater bobbins in my stash of random junk. Time to have a rotor lasered. Any reason to go larger than 320mm?

#22 ·
Wheel-caliper-clearance is vast currently, but I'll have to machine a few mm off the rotor mounting surface, to get the wheel to sit center. Luckily I found a big enough lathe. Since the wheel will be mounted to a lathe anyway, I'll have the bearing holes enlarged to 37mm to use Sherco front axle and 6904 bearings.

Rear wheel will be changed over to 2x 6905 and 1x 6805, to also use bike's stock 25mm axle. Nice to have them written here for future reference.

Started fitting rear wheel. I think I'll order a stock RC 125 cush drive and slice it to fit. I don't need or want a cush drive, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel, literally, either.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.