Am I crazy? KTM 525

Thread: Am I crazy? KTM 525

Default Am I crazy? KTM 525

I have a lead on a KTM that I can get in trade. It's supposed to be a 2003 525EXC motor with a 2004 frame swap that is currently registered and plated with a good title. It has Baja Designs kit as well as factory horn and signal switch on the bars. Has a desert tank and an exhaust installed. Black Excel 21/18 dirt rim setup. Includes factory seat and tank. Also a spare bottom end... Try and make a deal or run away? Also, what's it worth?

Last pic is off the engine case - above that is the VIN on the neck...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advertisement

I would run both numbers to see witch one is hot. If all checks out good I'd offer him 1,500. No doubt he will think it's worth 5k. It was 5k new.

The VIN checks out clean and he has the title. I can't figure out how to check the partial off the motor. I also want to know what year and specs on the motor/trans...

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

The motor was built in 03, is a 525 and the frame is an 04.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So I'm trying to work out a trade. I have a factory 2wd 1978 Blazer that I have about $3200 invested. I'm going to try and get the KTM, which I didn't know was assembled from 2 bikes, an his brother has an 2004 WR450 as well. Our DMV doesn't want to issue him a title because the dealer name on the front is different from the back. Something to do with the dealer changing names. I haven't seen a copy the title for the WR450... I figured that if I could trade the truck for both bikes it would be a good deal even if I have to fight with the DMV.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What makes everyone think the motor is not original?

Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    What makes everyone think the motor is not original?
    Because the date coding in the ID number on it shows the engine cases as 2003s and the vin on the frame is 2004.
    His, 2012 Yamaha WR450f Hers, 2010 Husky TE250.

Yes Pinepig i do realize the date code on the motor. Motors have the year/family/assemble number stamped on them as they are being assemble on the line. And frames have the model year stamped on them. Meaning if the bike was assembled in late 03 being rolled out as a 04 bike it would have an 03 motor in it. Or is it just us American manufactures that do this?

According to the OP the engine number comes back to a 525 EXC, you can see on the frame where somebody wrote MXC.
    His, 2012 Yamaha WR450f Hers, 2010 Husky TE250.

D'oh, my bad, I did see that. Looks like a salvaged frame. In my business it is not uncommon to see prior years motors in trucks, as long as it is CARB approved. Other components can be all over the place. I seen a new lift that had 20+ year old crap in it, all new, just not current production.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

the guy said he got an eBay frame and title to get it plated...
    ... I should have asked where the spare bottom end came from...

Does the Nevada title have the motor number on it, most likely. Has it been changed to reflect the current frame/chassis info? Stolen then bought frame to try and register it?

Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    Does the Nevada title have the motor number on it, most likely. Has it been changed to reflect the current frame/chassis info? Stolen then bought frame to try and register it?
    I actually didn't notice.... I'm not going to trade for just the KTM and the WR450 need the get the title straight before I try and make a deal.. I'll revisit that later...

Meanwhile I'll start looking for another trade...

I don't know how bad the DMV is to work with there, but if it is anything like California's it's lame as hell. Most people will straighten out the paper work before hand because it raises the value of the bike, unless it is a no go at the DMV. Then they fabricate stories of how easy it is to fix. If it was easy they would've done it, especially if they have owned it for any length of time. Here we get the flippers that will by an Arizona bike and try and sell it here only for people to find out our DMV hates bikes from Arizona.

Advertisement