Front caliper width question.

Thread: Front caliper width question.

Default Front caliper width question.

So I thought I would be cool and buy a Brembo caliper from a Duke II for my WR450.

I did lots of measuring, and even with 5mm spacer behind the rotor, there is still lots of interference with the caliper.

I have RAD Eagle hubs laced to Excel 17" rims.

What caliper can I look for that will fit better? Radial off a KTM?

I can't really justify more than $200 CAD for a caliper.

Advertisement

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/674...y-front-brake/

Check this

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

If only that FTE caliper was still for sale... I'd buy 3...

I had a Husaberg with the FTE brake up front, it was awesome.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

I had a "braking" supermoto caliper on my RMZ. That caliper ended up on a yz250 by ordering a different bracket. Not sure if they are still available or not but it was a decent caliper. It was a bit mushy with a stock MX master cylinder but when i added a radial magura 195(i think, its been a few) it had a great solid feel. Not close to my berringer setup but much better than stock and a big jump over an SM caliper with stock master.

Do you already have a radial conversion bracket? whats the purpose of going radial in this case? i know the calipers are more rigid but when we are talking about stopping 250lbs and not 400+ lbs going 150mph i think its probably more for looks. Especially considering the fork legs are not setup/designed for a radial mount caliper you are adding extra bracketry that will flex so gains might be negligible.
    Matt
    11 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    12 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

I just need a caliper that can be made to fit between the spokes and the rotor.

The Brembo Goldline is way too thick, needs at least 6-7mm more room.

With 5mm thick spacer behind the rotor, it still had no chance of clearing.

the image attached was the Braking Supermoto 2 piston floating caliper i had on my rmz and went on a yz250f i built for a buddy. Its a universal caliper that you swap out the floating bracket on. New(if they still make it) would be tough but i know you can dig around used and still find them. I sold my rmz to a guy in dirt trim with all the SM stuff and he ended up selling my buddy the rims, from brake with new magura mastercylinder, rotor etc for like $600. I paid $250 alone just for the master cylinder. The reason i am saying this is depending on how eager you are or how urgent you need it, waiting around might find you a killer deal. That braking caliper new is $800 CAD so finding anything worthwhile for under $200 might take some waiting.

What caliper bracket do you have now?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt
    11 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    12 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

I ran into this with my sumo build. I got a radial bracket and a Brembo that was supposed to be for a Sumo... yeah, a street based machine... same issue, fouled on the spokes. A 5mm spacer would have gotten it going but I was in a rush prepping for a race and decided to try and 'adapt' it with a belt sander... punched through to the pistons in about 3 seconds.

The FTE caliper is still available, $315 new: https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...dProduct=25046

Watch eBay, they show up there as well. GoldFren makes a suitable caliper as well IIRC. Last option is to switch to mag wheels ala Warp9 or Marchesini and have tons of caliper clearance.
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

What's the width on that FTE caliper? Just like any of the others that come stock on sumo's?

Quote Originally Posted by shift1313 View Post
    the image attached was the Braking Supermoto 2 piston floating caliper i had on my rmz and went on a yz250f i built for a buddy. Its a universal caliper that you swap out the floating bracket on. New(if they still make it) would be tough but i know you can dig around used and still find them. I sold my rmz to a guy in dirt trim with all the SM stuff and he ended up selling my buddy the rims, from brake with new magura mastercylinder, rotor etc for like $600. I paid $250 alone just for the master cylinder. The reason i am saying this is depending on how eager you are or how urgent you need it, waiting around might find you a killer deal. That braking caliper new is $800 CAD so finding anything worthwhile for under $200 might take some waiting.

What caliper bracket do you have now?
    I just have the stock NISSIN front brake.

I have the EBC 320mm rotor and adapter.

Also have a far east Braking copy rotor, which I trust, I had one before on a Husky, and it held up to doing stoppies occasionally, but that 2 piston Brembo dirt bike caliper didn't have much power.

I would love to have that FTE caliper, but $420 CAD is a bit much for me, it's not a race bike, just would like more power in the front brake.

Brembo caliper would be ideal, easier to get pads and stuff for them it seems, plus the Ducati/KTM dealer near me has AWESOME customer service.

That GoldFren caliper is quite narrow... The Brembo Goldline measures about 39mm where the GoldFren is only 34mm

Big money new though!

Last edited by Borg; 12-16-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Advertisement