SuperMoto Junkie banner

My first Sumo/build - 1999 wr400f

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Goatsby 
#1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself and my bike! I'm new to supermoto and dirtbikes in general. I'm really young and have only owned two bikes so far, and on a whim and maybe a litttttle too impulsively picked up a 1999 WR400. Been blasting her up and down the street so far trying not to tip over from the height, and I'm excited for the conversion, seems like it'll be a blast. My first bike was a 2007 EX250, my second bike (and now sitting in the garage with electrical problems) Is a 2005 Triumph Speed triple.

Now on with the bike!

\

Here she is, I payed 1,600 USD for it with a clean Oregon title. The title says "Motor Vehicle" on it and not off-highway vehicle like it does here, so if I'm lucky I won't have to get a new street title for it. I may have over payed, but I went down saw it and rode it and it was tons of fun and seemed clean..ish? So I bought her then and there.

Maybe not as clean as I thought.

The can says GYT-R on it, is this an upgrade or OEM?

Basically the goal here is to do this on the cheap! I'm going to relace 17" rims onto the hubs, and for now keep the stock braking setup until I figure out what I want to do from there. I have problems keeping motivated with my projects :rolleyes2: So maybe getting out on the 17s a little will keep me going on it. More to come as I get parts, thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
While waiting for some funds and titling process, I've decided to start doing some of the "free mods" for this bike. I partially lowered the subframe and removed the airbox so I could accurately know how much to cut off the throttle lock, but I noticed that the slides seem to move all the way already. Does that mean the mod has already been done on this bike? Thanks.

#5 ·
Yes! This is where she sits now, I got a great deal on these wheels that I couldn't pass up, so if anyone is looking for some loose lace Warp 9s I have some for sale.

Things that are left, cleaning, chain and sprockets, and street gear. I think I'll be shooting a video on how to wire up a DC conversion and all the street legal stuff for those who are scared of electrical things.

#7 ·
She runs! It seemed like the idle bog came back but after it warmed up a while then disappeared..Or seemed to. I'm running on the 14/52 gearing that came with the bike, just to see what I feel about before I decide what gearing I want to do. bad news is that the warp 9 rotor touches the back of the caliper! Is grinding it safe?

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.