SuperMoto Junkie banner

Winter build CRF450 TSG

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  TSG 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a crf450 for 5 years now. I thought, why not check the engine and rebuild some stuff while I'm at it..

First I ran the bike on a dynorun to see the power. Then I pulled the engine out and started inspecting it. Most stuff was still very good, it just needed some valve maintenance.

I changed the clutch a year ago so that one was also good.

I have some parts at the powdercoater, went for high gloss black, I hope they turn out nice!
Some parts I'm repainting myself at home in my 'homemade' paintingshop..

All linkbearing and steeringhead bearings will be replaced since the old ones aren't changed for like 10years or so..

In short (the plans):

- powdercoat some parts
- paint some parts
- check engine/ rebuild engine
- some small new parts
- replace link/steering bearings
- rebuild rear shock
- new tires
- adjust carburation settings
- maybe workout the airbox and put some fancy airfilter
- new plastics
- put my vapor in my handlebar mouse
- maintenance the bike
- led front light stuff

That's about it.. now the photos: then, during build, still building, ....

See less See more
#5 ·
Started rebuilding the engine. When I opened it, I was surprised. The engine was pretty good! Only needed some valve shimming, some new gasket. I replaced the head gasket, cil/piston gasket, reshimmed the intake valves, cleaned the valvehead, new spark plug and closed her up. This is where I'm now with the engine. Gone wait installing the clutch covers / ign covers untill the engine is back in the frame.

I also sprayed the frame high gloss black and left some parts polished. It's a try out, what do yo guys think?

Attachments

#6 ·
Got the engine in this week. Installed some of the blacked-out parts.

The rear shock is rebuild and got the spring powdercoated black. I also changend the rear link bearings, they were a pain in the ass :hmmm:

Checked the carbu, set it up a bit more rich, since I'm planning to cut some of the airfilterbox out... But at the end I'll check the setup on the dyno.

Went for new tires as well. Conti-attack SM.. I think they look great, any of you guys got some feedback on the tires?

Next up is the wiring and front fork rebuild.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.