Bike not running right.

Thread: Bike not running right.

Default Bike not running right.

I'm new to this hole forum thing so sorry if this is the wrong spot. I've got a 06 WR450 that I've been having problems with and cant seem to find answers anywhere. Bike doesn't have many mods just a FMF powercore 4 and header and of course 17inch excel rims with Battleax tires. But anyhow went for a ride bout a week ago. Bike ran great. Been running 87 octane gas. Changed to 93 on that ride. Go to ride it 3 days later and it wont start. My batterys been on the fritze for 6 months the contacts were loose so most of the time I'd kick start it. So after my leg got tired I jumped it to my truck and got it started. It was idling rough and backfiring and shooting flames out. So I through a plug in it took off the carb, cleaned it, took off fuel tank and checked screens made sure there was no crap in there. Still same result. So I break down and go buy a new battery and it would start it bout 2 days ago just fine bike still ran like crap. Today it will not start again. So I kick it and first kick it fires right up still runs like crap though and I cant figure out why. Read some things that said CDI could be bad or stator and or they key way on the fly wheel could be broke. I don't have a meter to check voltage with me its at work. Anyone have anything I can do or try thats cheap before I dump a bunch of high dollar parts into it? Thanks

Advertisement

What happens if you disconnect the battery and start it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idles a bit smoother but still backfires and shoots flames when reving or accelerateing

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Almost forgot too. The cover on the carb for the throttle cable assembly is cracked. Would that effect it?

Start with the simple stuff. Bikes need 3 things. Air, fuel and spark. So you checked feul. Next check your air filter if its clean and not torn or hard. Next start with spark. Work yourself from the spark plug through to your coil, rectifier and then stator. If all off that fails check your valve clearance, could be a huge culprit in your problem. Keep us up to date

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTROADKID4 View Post
    Almost forgot too. The cover on the carb for the throttle cable assembly is cracked. Would that effect it?
    Don't own a wr for reference but if there is any possibility that it could get air from there. That is your problem. Your air/fuel mixture will be off and that could result in a rough idle and backfiring

I dont have a wr either but I know there is a common "grey wire" mod that is for thr cdi. Look that up to see if someone has hacked your harness.

So things you need to check on.
    Spark plug
    Cam timing
    Bike ground

When you jumped it off the truck was the truck running? That can do some serious damage to your harness and maybe toasted something.
    Matt
    11 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    12 ktm450 sxf/smr #314
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

Default Update

Found the issue hot start plunger was stuck open. At least all my winter maintenance is complete now I checked everything. I was one more defeat away from taking it to a shop.

Advertisement