SuperMoto Junkie banner

DRZ400SM totaled bought 2010 KTM 450 EXC

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Skully25 
#1 ·
Had a guy in a Yukon pop out in front of me. I ran smack into the side of his truck. Got fucked up but nothing so bad it'll stop me from riding.

I bought friends red bull edition EXC. It already has sumo kit on it and comes with dirt wheels. But I have some questions:

Is anything known to fail on these? Some fixes I should do right away?

Bike has sat for about 5 years, anything I should replace?

Front rotor upgraded to larger but one bolt over torqued and snapped off, should I worry about that of rest are proper?

Probably parting out drz so I'll post eBay links when I do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I would fix the bolt when you can. Its not going to be a big issue since there are 4 others. this has happened to me while roadracing and I had it repaired in the off season. Just make sure you check to other good bolts on the front rotor often to to make sure they don't loosen up on you from the add stress of use since one is missing.

#8 ·
Plenty of ways to remove broken bolts, easy out is only a good choice if the situation is perfect for it. In all honesty, if your unsure, a machine shop is a much better option. Welding, brazing, drilling, using a chisel or pointed air hammer. Hard to judge over the internet. Welding is still my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
if the bike sat for 5 years, start of with changing all the fluids. that goes for engine oil and tranny oil (530 has separate cases), clutch fluid, brake fluid front and rear.

most important thing on these bikes is to not overfill any of the oil circuits. don't pin yourself on what the manual says, especially for the engine side because it states that side take 700cc's/ml's. tranny side takes 900 cc's and engine side about 500 cc's. overfilling on the engine side can cause seal and oil burning issues.

always keep an eye on the engine oil level and be on the lookout for possible oil migration, all the way up to 2010 there were some problems where oil could go from the engine to the transmission side and the other way around. it's a good idea to always measure what you get out of the engine when you drain the oil on both sides to keep on top of things. if you notice any change in levels, there are a lot of known fixes out there but first you need to make sure what is happening before you dive into repairs.

I got a 2010 530 coming in on sunday that's dealing with these issues. most will say it only affected the 08's and 09's but seems like the '10's can also run into problems. if all seems good then don't touch anything, I've seen cases where guys were trying to "fix" a good running bike and ended up causing problems. if it's running right and not burning any oil then just ride it and stick to routine maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.