KX250 Street Motard Build

Thread: KX250 Street Motard Build

Default KX250 Street Motard Build

This will be highlighting some steps along the way while I convert my 2000 Kawasaki KX250 for street duty. I picked up the bike just before Christmas 2016 for dirt cheap with full intention of tearing it down and redoing everything. My only criteria were the bike be complete, not wrecked and actually run.

This is how I got the bike after I moved it to my basement for the winter. Not bad, not great:

Advertisement

A few hours of work got things all torn down, inventoried and ready for rebuild/replacement.

Surprisingly everything came apart nicely with hand tools and I was left with a bare frame.

I took a quick peek in the exhaust port and was surprised to see this broken piston. The bike ran fine, had plenty of compression and gave me no issues the short while I was running it. Further inspection found the engine to be original and untouched (which I prefer) The cylinder needed to be replated and has been sent out to Millennium for service.

The frame is being dropped off to be sand blasted tomorrow and hopefully I'll have it back by the end of the week for paint. It'll be painted in 2K epoxy primer, base and 2K clear in something that comes close to the original green.

So for now I've been getting all my parts set. Brand new body work. Polisport rad shrouds, side covers, rear fender and fork guards, Acerbis SM front fender (duckbill to be removed), UFO rear mud flap and brand new OEM radiator guards.

New graphics:

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

All the street legal bits. I decided on a total loss system for simplicity on my end. Polisport Lookos battery/solar LED headlight, DRC EZ electric wiring harness, Acerbis XLED taillight, Zeta titanium handguards. Mounts and covers in green with built-in led turn signals. The rear signals are some inexpensive flush-mount smoked LED signals intended for the front of a Honda Grom.

More brand new goodies:

* Motion Pro throttle and clutch cables

* ASV levers

* ProMoto Billet kickstand meant for a Yamaha 450 I will attempt to adapt.

* Gold billet brake line clamp

* Carb overhaul kit/JD jet kit

* Hot Rods crankshaft/rod with all bearings/seals

* Wiseco piston

* Complete new hardware kit for the whole bike

* Pro Taper chain. 15T front sprocket

* Green silicone radiator hoses/fuel line/vent line with new clamps

* Trailtech Vapor Stealth

New Pro Circuit Platinum pipe and Factory Sound silencer, Factory Racing side covers:

Beautiful new Warp 9's with 2CT's, 40t rear sprocket.

Oh yes, this is going to be good. I love the factory look you're going for, it's simple and elegant.

No doubt I like a good facelift for other bigger bikes like the XR or KLR but this bike was perfect from the factory.

Just new plastics, graphics, lights, rims and tires...well done.

Can't wait for the finished product.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2007 Husqvarna SM510R...aka my sexy Italian girlfriend

Yes and cant wait to see final result

subscribed.
    Just finished an 08 KLX450R. Didn't document it though
    Fun times

Any updates?

Yes I have updates! I've been working my butt off to get things done proper and I'm a timely manner.

Frame back from media blasting: I removed the steering stem races before blasting and reinstalled and masked them before paint to avoid damaging my fresh paint.

Swingarm was soda blasted by me in my garage. The bearings were mint so I flushed them out in my parts washer, removed the seals and masked the bearings. Fresh grease later and I saved a couple bucks I didn't need to spend.

The paint on the frame is Spraymax 2K epoxy primer, Duplicolor green and some 2K clear. I went to a local paint supply store and picked up some metallic black for the swingarm that I shot out of a small detail gun. The swingarm also got the epoxy primer and 2K clear.

Here are some shots of the finished frame and swingarm. I love the Spraymax clear it cures nice and hard, has twice the gloss of regular rattlecan crap and will stand up to whatever I spill on it. I have some PPG epoxy and clear but I'm saving that for my truck. This was an inexpensive, high quality solution that I can easily touch up down the road unlike powdercoat. Photos don't do these justice they look even better in person.

The forks/clamps also were given some love. Forks have fresh fluid, cleaned and polished fork tubes, soda blasted and painted clamps. They look absolutely brand new.

Forks reinstalled:

Looking good!! Leaves us wanting more

I've tested out the fit on the front wheel and I'm having an issue with the spacers not being long enough to take up the space. I've added two small washers that take care of that but I will need to change things around once it comes time to align the front brake calipers over the rotor. Anyone with a KX/KX converted KDX that can shine some light on this? It does look awesome so far.

I tested out the headlight and front fender and those seem to be fine. Opinions on removing the duckbill on the Acerbis fender? I'm thinking about cutting it off.

Did a little restoration on the rear shock.

All cleaned up and ready to go:

Completed! New rear linkage bearings should be here Monday/Tuesday and then these are going in the frame. That left me with time to work on the engine.

Engine ready for tear down:

All ready for clean up. The bearings were all burnt and nasty. I'm glad I decided to investigate further.

Transmission fortunately looks fine. No wear on the gears/dogs. The clutch basket showed very slight notching which I'll be able to clean up with a file this time around.

I've got a solid 3-4 hours of time in the parts washer getting these parts cleaned up. Most everything is ready for reassembly. I'm soda blasting the cases today and pulling some bearings and the bottom end should be reassembled within the next week or so. Stay tuned on that.

You did a great job on the painting
    You'll love the rebuild of the suspension en shock, it will handle nicely :P

I don't like the headlight :( But that is personnaly..

Good luck with the engine and keep us posted

Great work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see her start going together.

I have a kx250sm on the street, I'm excited to see how yours works out for you. I'd be pleased to help if at all possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by motoshniper View Post
    Oh yes, this is going to be good.
    X2, looks like a great build. You're making me want to dig back into this BAMF....
    http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...ighlight=CR500
    2007 RXV550SM/2007 KTM 690SM
    NO REMORSE / NO REGRET Previous Supermotos: 2008 SM510R

Quote Originally Posted by exit90a View Post
    X2, looks like a great build. You're making me want to dig back into this BAMF....
    http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...ighlight=CR500
    Judging by the last post you made on that bike I think you're overdue by a few years for the finish. Time to jump back on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2007 Husqvarna SM510R...aka my sexy Italian girlfriend

subscribing

YEEAAAAA smoker sumo!!! I love seeing other 2 strokes on the road. It's looking awesome..... love your attention to detail. Can't wait to see the finished bike.... that's gonna be sick

Advertisement