SuperMoto Junkie banner

2017 WR450f double duty sumo

12K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  eastonbighitter 
#1 ·
Figured I'd post this up to have a build thread for myself and hopefully help others out trying something similar.

I recently picked up a 2017 WR450f and am in the process of a supermoto street legal conversion. I am getting pretty close but as always this will be a constant work in progress.

My plans are to have both a sumo and dirt setup so I can switch back and forth as necessary since I have friends that ride dirt and the roads. Hopefully I can keep this thing at a happy medium suited for both purposes. On to the pics

This is the first day I got her still in dirt trim.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
When I bought the bike I ordered a talon/excel wheel combo along with a 320mm front rotor and some other parts. I didn't get to ride the bike much but was trying to break it in when the weather allowed.

I waited patiently like a little kid for Christmas and finally got word my parts where in. I am still waiting on/trying to find a caliper relocation bracket and haven't had a lot of luck so far, if anybody can help I would sure appreciate it.

Attachments

#7 ·
As you may have noticed from the pics I'm still waiting on a caliper relocation bracket so I can't run my 320mm front rotor but should hopefully have a bracket soon. I also put on a new 14t front sprocket and a 42t rear, from my short shakedown run I really like the combo. As part of my parts order I also got the GYTR comp ECU and did all the derestriction mods. If you haven't done these mods and are wondering if it's worth it, ABSOLUTELY go do it right now. It feels like a completely different bike now. At that point I wrapped it back up and waited on my wiring/street legal kit that I ordered from Ryco along with their R6 start switch.

Attachments

#10 ·
Wr450f 2017

Got myself a 2017 WR450F also a week ago and going to be doing the same, having the option of offroad and onroad rims/tires. Best of both worlds
I have already installed radiator guards and next week getting a key ignition installed. Road tires and rims will be next but what's the best setup when it comes to Rim/tire sizes and sprockets etc. Would it be a good idea to get a new chain for this setup as one will wear differently to the other?

Attachments

#11 ·
best setup is 3.5x17 front with a 120/70/17 tire, rear can be a 5x17 with a 160 but its a tight fit, many street riders go for a 4.25 rear with a 150 tire for better clearance, the gearing you will want for street is about 14-43, a 13-43 will let you run a 110 link chain, ideal for short wheelbase you run the wheel all the way fwd in the swingarm, if you go 14-44 you will need 112 links and the wheel will be further back, either way that chain would be too short for real off road gearing, your ideal solution is to have 2 bikes, a real dirtbike and your WR set up for supermoto

#13 ·
Thanks for the information. Will definitely help me out deciding when the time comes purchasing rims/tires. Your right about having two bikes but I wont be offroad racing or anything, really just for getting along the beach or dune bashing etc. Obviously It wouldn't compare to a pure off road dirtbike but will get me round with the knoblies on. Majority of my time on the bike will be road base.

#12 ·
Nice bike! I bought my 16 with the same intent. I went through the same headache with EBC, and after 3 failed attempts, i went with MotoMaster who got it right the first time (front rotor and bracket). I've been swapping wheels back and fourth as needed since I've purchased the bike, and it's been awesome. My waterpump seal leaked at about 80hr, as did a friend of mines. Hopefully they fixed that for 17 models.

#14 ·
So after a bit of research coloured spokes you cannot really get (Not Ideal) with the cush-drive as the paint chips off easy and had been a few recalls like HAANS hubs on their website say they do black spokes for the cush-drive but not anymore as they had so many come back. Apparently the spokes are bent out further and that angle they slowly chip off. For those who want cush-drive and coloured spokes you can get "Spoke Wraps". They only make the spokes look a little thicker but you can get whatever colour you want and mix it up.

A sumo setup I think I'm going to go with for my WR450F 2017 now is. . . HAAN (Blue) Hubs, 17" SM PRO Platinum or EXCEL rims (Black), blue nipples, 2 new disk brakes, 45T sprockets on the back and keeping the 13T sprocket on the front.
Wheel Front: 3.5x17 120/70/17
Wheel Back: 4.25x17 15/70/17

Hope this helps others who like myself didn't have a clue 1 week ago.

Cheers,
II MENZ II

#17 ·
Thanks man. Yeah was out all weekend, had perfect weather for it. One thing I'm still unsure about was the gearing ratio I went with.

I had Front 110/70/R17, Rear 150/70/R17 with a 45T rear sprocket. I find the top end isn't a good as I thought it would be. Any recommendations on what I should be putting on sprocket wise?

#20 ·
Nice

I also have a '17, looking to do a conversion. What did you do about lighting? Did you purchase a dual sport kit (Tusk), or make any modifications to the rear brake light? I want to retain as much "factory" look as possible. Has anyone had any luck using the factory tail light as a brake light, and how?

Any info or links for the following would be greatly appreciated:

1.)Utilizing the factory tail light for brake light
2.)Horn
3.)Key Set

#21 ·
I also have a '17, looking to do a conversion. What did you do about lighting? Did you purchase a dual sport kit (Tusk), or make any modifications to the rear brake light? I want to retain as much "factory" look as possible. Has anyone had any luck using the factory tail light as a brake light, and how?

Any info or links for the following would be greatly appreciated:

1.)Utilizing the factory tail light for brake light
2.)Horn
3.)Key Set

I used the Ryco kit and it retains the factory tail light and adds a pressure switch on the brake pedal to run it as a brake light. the kit also provides a horn and light switch that makes the front have off / low beam / and high beam. I didn't add the turn signals as they are not required in CO but it is part of the normal kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.