Are you guys satisfied with the bikes you have? Or are you always wanting more?

Thread: Are you guys satisfied with the bikes you have? Or are you always wanting more?

Default Are you guys satisfied with the bikes you have? Or are you always wanting more?

I have this real issue with lusting after fancy new bikes. Take my XR650R, for example, I absolutely love it. It's super fun to ride and does everything I ask of it... BUT, I'd be lying if I said I didn't spend 90% of my time online looking at KTM 500 EXCs and WR450s with fancy wheels and big brembo brakes and fancy suspension... the list goes on and on! It's not like I'm anything special either. I'm definitely no pro racer. The XR is great for what I do, but still...

I see these boys who just love the bikes they have (not necessarily supermotos) and are super satisfied and it makes me a bit jealous. I wish I loved a bike enough to ride it to 100k miles or something, you know? Instead of just riding my bike and having fun (don't worry, I still do that), I end up sitting online looking up fancy bikes that I can't justify. I got a cracker deal on my XR, supermoto'd with all the nice mods. Do I really want to spend 3-4x what I spent on that for a fancy WR or EXC?

Maybe it's because I'm still relatively new to bikes, I've only been riding for 2 years, but I'm always looking for the next thing. I'm planning on selling my CRF and SV so I can buy a Blade and I'm telling myself that it'll be my nice sportsbike that I keep for years and all that... but I don't know if I believe myself! I give it a few months before I'm looking at S1000RRs or something.

What do you guys think? Is this just normal? Have I just not found the right bikes yet? I'd be interested to hear what you guys have to say. You might end up saving me a load of money, haha!

Are you satisfied with your supermotos or are you always looking at newer, fancier bikes with more power and lower weights and all that?
    SV650SF, XR650R, CRF250X, NSR250R, NX650

Advertisement

Cool Practice makes perfect . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DanCousins View Post

I have this real issue with lusting after fancy new bikes.

Take my XR650R, for example, I absolutely love it.

It's super fun to ride and does everything I ask of it . . .

BUT, I'd be lying if I said I didn't spend 90% of my time online looking at KTM 500 EXCs and WR450s
    with fancy wheels and big brembo brakes and fancy suspension . . .

The list goes on and on! It's not like I'm anything special either.

I'm definitely no pro racer.

The XR is great for what I do, but still . . .

I see these boys who just love the bikes they have (not necessarily supermotos)
    and are super satisfied and it makes me a bit jealous.

I wish I loved a bike enough to ride it to 100k miles or something, you know?

Instead of just riding my bike and having fun (don't worry, I still do that),
    I end up sitting online looking up fancy bikes that I can't justify.

I got a cracker deal on my XR, supermoto'd with all the nice mods.

Do I really want to spend 3-4x what I spent on that for a fancy WR or EXC?

Maybe it's because I'm still relatively new to bikes,
    I've only been riding for 2 years, but I'm always looking for the next thing.

I'm planning on selling my CRF and SV so I can buy a Blade and
    I'm telling myself that it'll be my nice sportsbike that I keep for years and all that . . .

But I don't know if I believe myself! I give it a few months before I'm looking at S1000RRs or something.

What do you guys think? Is this just normal? Have I just not found the right bikes yet?

I'd be interested to hear what you guys have to say.

You might end up saving me a load of money, haha!

Are you satisfied with your supermotos or are you always looking at newer,
    fancier bikes with more power and lower weights and all that?

I love my ktm lc4 640 with 670 bore keihin fcr41mx acras full exhaust <3 but driving honda cbr 900rr atm due to paint and rebuild on ktm :(

Lähetetty minun SM-G935F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

nothing abnormal about the excitement of getting something new. the only problem with that is the financial side, can't keep buying new bikes all the time except for those of us with a money tree.

my trend was that I used to switch over to a newer model every 3 years or so, but that was during the time when I had one bike to do it all: street, offroad and track. now I got 3 bikes and each one is dedicated to one task so they all tend to live a lot longer. the last new bike I bought was back in 2014. the lastest used bike I got was just at the beginning of this year and I plan on keeping it al least a couple years.

Things are getting a bit "different" in my world. Getting older has little to recommend it. Some people like the "wisdom" that comes with "age". I find it crimps my bike buying.

Also the opportunity to ride seems to be diminished in the "modern" world. Trails are closing, MX tracks have a very regimented practice regime- it's like a race day, you have to wait around and practice in your class.

The nearest proper tarmac track is 2.5 hrs away. Lucky there is a Sumo track a lot closer.

Also I love trail riding, MX, Sumo, road racing/track riding, and riding on the road in the hills. (Actually I also like riding to the shops.)

That's the background.
    I have great bikes: KTM EXC, Yamaha YZF, KTM SMR (actually a converted SX), a Suzuki street bike and a Husky 701 (to name a few)

All except the 701 are old: 20004- 2008. (The Bandit 1200 is officially a "classic" as its 1996)
    I'd like a new trail bike, MX bike and Sumo, but I don't ride any of them more than a few times a year, and I suspect I'd be no faster, and more importantly, have no extra fun, on newer ones. (I know exactly which ones I'd buy, and have the money saved up.)

I've wanted a new Aprilia Tuono for a long time. I've saved up the money. I think about what I'd do with 175hp, how sneaky the cops are, and how insane the penalties for "speeding" are, then I take the 701 out onto tight, bumpy, back roads devoid of police, or much traffic and have a very enjoyable ride.

If only I lived near a nice race track, I could buy a new Tuono.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum "
    '17Husqvarna 701SM. KTMs-'06 450EXC '04 SX525 - Motard
    '96 Suzuki Bandit1200S - ATS (All The Sh*t)
    '08 YZ250F -MX raced so slowly, it's a sin
    '73 Honda Z50 minitrail - Road legal, Vintage, Cool

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    I've wanted a new Aprilia Tuono for a long time. I've saved up the money. I think about what I'd do with 175hp, how sneaky the cops are, and how insane the penalties for "speeding" are, then I take the 701 out onto tight, bumpy, back roads devoid of police, or much traffic and have a very enjoyable ride.
    My FZ09 "only" has 115hp which is still more than enough to both; have too much fun and get into a lot of trouble. Stock, it's restricted to 224 km/h and it gets there easily (not that I would know....), which brings me to wanting a slower bike oddly enough. I just don't trust myself to stay out of trouble.

Regarding the OP's question. Yes, totally normal wanting more.
    I started my street riding with a WR250X and while it had great handling, it lacked power. So I bought a 690 SMC which had the power I was looking for, but ended up being hard to ride slowly (residential streets / traffic) so I sold both and bought my current bike which can be easily be ridden slowly, yet has loads of power. Seemed like the best of both worlds. As my daily driver, it probably is the best choice all things considered, and yet...I want another bike !!! Hahaha It's a freaking sickness !!!!

I've always had a thing for the 500 EXC, and yet I'm actually eyeing the new 701 SM even though I "kinda" had one (my 690). I've got to find a 701 to ride and see if the 3k rpm on/off issue I had with my 690 has been dealt with by Husqvarna.

Coming back to your question... Yes, it's totally normal that you want more, even if less is more sometimes.
    Current ride: '15 Silver FZ09
    Past rides: '09 690 SMC / '10 WR250X / '96 CR250 / '88 RM80
    Riding Game: 3

Part of my disease is modifying.

Another reason for not updating my bikes is that I have them set up like I wanted. All the suspension re sprung, re valved, and on the Sumo, slightly shortened. Ti pipes, carbon glide plates, semi custom alloy catch tanks, quick shifters, cams, brakes, spare wheels, etc.

Evol

My 2017 701SM was horrid at low speed. God help anyone with the "Enduro" and using it on single track. Surging around at 30km/h.

Much better now: very loud pipe, EVO II filter, de smogged, and PCV dyno tuned.
    I haven't specifically tried it at low speed. Too much fun with the throttle open wider!

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    Part of my disease is modifying.

Another reason for not updating my bikes is that I have them set up like I wanted. All the suspension re sprung, re valved, and on the Sumo, slightly shortened. Ti pipes, carbon glide plates, semi custom alloy catch tanks, quick shifters, cams, brakes, spare wheels, etc.
    That's an issue I'm struggling with too. I'm so attracted to all of these fancy mods. Big wavy discs, big 6 pot calipers, brembo masters... All that stuff. Thing is, it's so much money to pour into a bike that I'm probably not going to keep forever, you know? Now, I could very well end up keeping the XR for a long time, I do quite like it and I haven't had a chance to ride any other bikes, maybe I won't like them as much, but I don't think that'll be the case.

Instead of putting a new fancy brembo big brake kit and new suspension on my XR... I could just save up a bit more and actually get a better set up bike for that stuff. 500 EXC or a WR or something.

I keep saying that I'll stop and I'll be satisfied, but I don't know if I will. I'm gonna buy my realistic dream sport bike soon, after that I'll start saving for the dream sumo. I'm sure I'll get my perfect 1-2 garage and then someone else will bring out something new and crazy and I'll be after that then! It never ends.

I was pretty close to putting CRF suspension on my XR but in the end after I priced it out, I just decided fuck it, it wasn't worth it to me. I need to concentrate more on just riding the bloody thing rather than getting fixated with the gear. Then again, I'm a stickler for 'value for money' and putting loads of money into mods doesn't tick that box for me. It's probably stopping me having a load of fun, but that's just how my brain works. It's just for hooning about town, I need to stop taking it so seriously, haha.

Maybe some day I'll be able to afford a tricked out 500 EXC with the brembo everything.
    SV650SF, XR650R, CRF250X, NSR250R, NX650

If it puts a big ear to ear grin on your face while you are riding it that's all that really matters. I've had as many as 6 bikes at once and it's way overrated. Sold a bunch of stuff off, have 2 bikes and a 4wheeler now. Very happy👍 But, as a wise man once said,"no one here gets out alive." So imma live until I die.
    2007 RXV550SM/2007 KTM 690SM
    NO REMORSE / NO REGRET Previous Supermotos: 2008 SM510R

Furthermore, if you don't feel like this about your current bike, maybe it's time for a change.
    NSFW!!!
    https://youtu.be/zLm5oSJRxIU

I, like you, suffer from the same disease.. And I have a KTM 500 EXC with sumo wheels. My current lust is a Tuono.. But ask my wife, that will change probably 5 times this month.

It's OK to lust, it's when you start buying that things get ugly.

You have to move from want to need. This new bike you want, is it going to make you happier ? Faster ? Score more chicks ? It will definitely make you poorer. What does your current bike not do that the new one will and how often do you really _need_ that ? Picture yourself riding the new bike and ask what will really change in your life.. Probably not much. Look at all the guys going from Supersport to Sumo.. They often say the same thing "I never used all that power..".

Because if you don't think that way, you will always want the next thing. It will never end. So I focus on places to go on my bike and things to do.. Because those are the things you will remember in 10 years from now. It's experiences of having accomplished something that matters, not forking out your Visa for another bike..

One way to get around this disease is try and sign up for demo days. I find just riding the thing once gets it out of your system. Often you walk away disappointed. Often, you walk away thinking "ya, but at the end of the day, it's just another motorcycle".

Good Luck ;-)

J

I have an 07 Tuono and an 08 530 EXC (Sumo and dirt setups) so I'm good. About the only thing I would rather have is a sumo without such a short maintenance cycle but I only ride about 2-3 times per month so it's not all that bad of a want. I do find myself lusting after upgrades like blingy bits and a rear hand brake.

I wish my KTM 690 was 90lbs lighter and I was a better rider.

Thinking about this: The answer must be "yes". Because if I wasn't, I'd buy new ones.

I actually ride along on my old, but low use and well set up 2006 450 EXC thinking "how good is this?" (Thinking for example of the TT600 I rode in my youth....)
    Everytime I ride my 2004 525SX Sumo, I can't stop smiling. (And reliving the race in the pits with whoever just beat me!)
    I wish I could ride my 2008 YZ250F more. It's incredible.
    When I wheelstand my 701 out of a corner on some back road, I'm giggling in my helmet like a school girl.

Default We always want more

That what drives us in life I think it's the human nature.

Own a 11 YZF450 that has it all ... now I dreaming on the husky 450SM or tm450SM nothing like a factory setup

Quote Originally Posted by WTFShane View Post
    I wish my KTM 690 was 90lbs lighter and I was a better rider.
    Exactly how I feel about Sharon most days.

My first decent bike (second bike in total) was an FZ6. That's one bike that I can say I was completely satisfied with. I had that bike for six years and 70k miles. That was probably due the facts that it was a wonderful do it all bike, and also I had less expendable income.

Then I got itchy one winter, bought the FZ1 and sold the FZ6. FZ1 is a great bike, but too easy to get into trouble at city speed limits. That led me to buy the 625SMC as a fun commuter/city bike. When the FZ1 developed an issue that is still not ironed out, I bought a V-Strom 650 as a planned temporary bike cause it was cheap and perfectly setup for touring. While I previously toured just fine on the FZ1 and the FZ6 before it, the V-Strom is so much better suited for that task.

Now that I have lived with the above trio, I can't imagine downsizing. They are so good at their specific job, by they I mean the bike styles, but I'm not thoroughly happy with the bikes I have. The V-Strom could use more power and better suspension, that has me periodically searching for a big modern ADV bike like a 1200GS, Tenere, etc. There's a reason that ADV bikes are the standard for long distance touring. The KTM is awesome as long as it's not on the highway, but is plagued by reliability issues, I have a constant search setup for a 690SMC. The FZ1 is a great fast bike but has been down since fall of 2015 as various shops have tried to fix it. It's back in my hands now and I'll get it on the road hopefully next week, but I have a saved search for a Tuono.

Bottom line, as long as you don't try other bikes, you're probably going to be pretty happy with what you have.
    '06 KTM 625 SMC - 20k km, braaaap
    '07 FZ1 - 70k km, bzzzzzzzz
    '06 FZ6 - 115k km, sold

I find myself mostly wanting bikes that don't exist. Like a 120hp twin supermoto under 125kg.

I have a nice 500exc-tard and a 1290 sdr, but if I had the money I'd probably own at least 100 different bikes. I've never owned a IL4, but something in the back of my mind keeps telling me I need to buy a 636 and learn how to stunt it.
    I don't fear death, only the moments leading up to it.

There's more to life than jerking off in front of the computer .... I just haven't figured out what that is.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieaddiction View Post
    I find myself mostly wanting bikes that don't exist. Like a 120hp twin supermoto under 125kg.
    If you find one, you better let the rest of us know!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exit90a View Post
    Exactly how I feel about Sharon most days.
    Lmao! But do you still grin ear to ear?

I'll keep loving what I have until Honda makes a 500 6 speed that's less then 300lb. Pipe dream? Maybe...
    (2) 05 HONDA CRF 450X

CRF Chain blocks and slide kits now available. PM me if you're interested.
    Pics http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...amp-slide-kits

I'm totally off the street now. I started on a drz400 at 17 had 2 r6, a 636, a cbr, a Harley, and now I have 2 quads and a rmz 450 for the track.
    I really want a KTM. I kind if want to keep that for the dirt. And the rmz for the SM track.
    The streets here are dangerous. I'm over it. I think. I honestly have the most fun on the quad. But I haven't had the rmz in a track yet, so that may become my new addiction

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've only ever owned 1 supermoto, and that's my KTM 625SMC. Lovely machine, very well sorted, and thoroughly loved before I bought it....so it's like new. All I've done is respring it and kept the maintenance up, but that's it. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to an injected supermoto, but for now - this bike does all I need....but it's not my daily bike - it's more of just a local romper and cart track toy.

For my primary bike.....I managed to stay alive for 7 years riding a ZX14 on the street with some trackdays in the mix. Stupid fast, and the last couple seasons I'd owned it, found I just couldn't trust myself with it anymore. Persistantly hamfisting it with impunity, the bike just begged to be flogged. Proved to be a plenty capable ride, but I really needed to slow down - and my age had me longing for more creature comforts / fuel mileage / less power / easier on the tires kind of bike and just couldn't bring myself to "tour out" the big ninja - because you can paint an apple orange, put saddle bags and bar risers on it, but at the end of the day it's still a damn apple.....err, uh.....yeah, something like that.

Anyway, a couple years ago I lusted after a brand new euro bike of some sort to get away from the everyday inline 4 cyl tone I was growing tired of as they're all I've ever owned, and just to have something different......and something in the sport touring realm. Once I started shopping, I found that $20k would barely get me into a fully outfitted new euro ST. Over a few months of research, I narrowed my wants down to the latest gen Multistrada 1200S, BMW R1200RS, or the brand-new-but-not-yet-available KTM SuperDuke GT ( my favorite pick of the litter ). I cringed at the price tags, but I kept telling myself it would be justified as I planned to keep the next bike at least a decade - worse yet, my wife was 100% behind whatever decision I made which was another enabling factor that kept me teetering on the fence of big spending.

I finally decided on a completely different route and bought a lightly used Triumph Sprint 1050GT under advisement from a good friend that they were excellent ST bikes, and the 3cyl was absolutely lovely. And it has proven to be just that. Better yet, it cost me less than $10k so I was able to upgrade my truck a year sooner than expected!

I still have wet dreams of the KTM SDGT.....those haven't subsided, so it could be inevitable that I buy one eventually.....but I don't believe any of us bikers are alone, everyone has this same lustful 2 wheel attraction to some degree.
    2006 625SMC
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    If you find one, you better let the rest of us know!!!!

Will do. But i don't think that will happen in our life-time sadly. We could always buy a fat-tard and tie a few helium balloons to it..
    I don't fear death, only the moments leading up to it.

There's more to life than jerking off in front of the computer .... I just haven't figured out what that is.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieaddiction View Post
    Will do. But i don't think that will happen in our life-time sadly. We could always buy a fat-tard and tie a few helium balloons to it..

Instantly got the visual of that...

I've almost convinced myself to buy a new 125cc MX bike. (After a Husky test ride recently.)
    My only reservation is the lack of quality MX tracks nearby.

Certainly getting smarter doesn't seem to be a by product of aging. In my case.

Advertisement