5'' Alpina wheels ?

Thread: 5'' Alpina wheels ?

Default 5'' Alpina wheels ?

I've been hovering over the purchase button for months now, but I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge. What I am still unsure of is whether I am interpreting the statement on the Alpina website that says:

"Wheels fully interchangeable with the original wheels and compatible with the standard bike without having to change any of the components already installed as standard"

Does that mean that the hubs are offset by design ? Or do you still have to dick around with spacers/exotic chains/tires to avoid chain-rub ?

I only ask this because I have 4.25'' sm-pro platinum wheels on my 500 exc and there doesn't appear to be any clearance for a wider rim. Can anyone confirm that the 5'' Alpina's actually fit properly ?
    I don't fear death, only the moments leading up to it.

There's more to life than jerking off in front of the computer .... I just haven't figured out what that is.

Advertisement

you can slap a 5.5 in there and still make it work. what are you gauging off to think there's no room left with a 4.25 rim in there?

also, you have no guarantee the chain won't rub the tyre but in 9 out of 10 cases that's down to the tyre just being big for it size rather than a problem with rim offset. like I said you can fit a 5.5 inch rim in that swingarm and not have any clearance issues with the actual rim, tyre rub is a different issue.

if you order up wheels they should come with the right rim offset for it to be centered in the swingarm and correct hub and spacer combination for your application so that installing the actual wheels is a plug and play application. alpina actually uses the same spacers you have on your OEM wheels, I run alpina's on my race bike and the spacers are identical to the ones on my stock wheel set I use for rain tyres.

Wouldn't a wider Rim be synonymous with a wider tire though ?

Doesn't that mean the Hub has to be offset even further to accommodate for a wider tire profile in order to avoid chain-rub ?

There's more to life than jerking off in front of the computer .... I just haven't figured out what that is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Depends on the tire really.

If you have a Dunlop Q3 160 ( widest 160 known to man ) in there now on your 4.25 inch rim it will be wider than a Metzler M7rr 160 on a 5" ( one of the more narrow 160s ).

If you're running race tires they are even narrower, a 165 would fit in there no problem.
    His, 2012 Yamaha WR450f Hers, 2010 Husky TE250.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinepig View Post
    Depends on the tire really.

If you have a Dunlop Q3 160 ( widest 160 known to man ) in there now on your 4.25 inch rim it will be wider than a Metzler M7rr 160 on a 5" ( one of the more narrow 160s ).

If you're running race tires they are even narrower, a 165 would fit in there no problem.
    Hmm, that's interesting.

Is there any specific tire that would work for this application ?

Cheers!

Crazy question, but why not ask Alpina these questions?
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Crazy question, but why not ask Alpina these questions?
    Several reasons.

A: Because I was hoping to get an immediate answer and not wait 10 hours for a reply due to timezone differences.

B: I have already picked their brain about color options and didn't want to be a pest.

C: Some answers I need are probably best answered by people who own the bike and the product.

But if my questions are a burden, please let me know and I'll stop posting on the site.

The 500 exc should have no problems with a 5" and any 160 tire other than the aforementioned Dunlop Q3.

The EXC has a wide ol' gap for tires.
    His, 2012 Yamaha WR450f Hers, 2010 Husky TE250.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinepig View Post
    The 500 exc should have no problems with a 5" and any 160 tire other than the aforementioned Dunlop Q3.

The EXC has a wide ol' gap for tires.
    Sounds good.

I just didn't want to fall into the category of people posting threads about tire-rubbing issues with wider rims. Thanks!

I run a 5.0 Marchi rear rim and a 165 rear Michelin supermoto race tire. no issues 2012 EXC 500

2014 KTM 1290R SuperDuke
    2012 KTM 500 Sumo

michelin slicks run fairly thin so it's hard to compare. I can run michelins, dunlops, metzlers, bridgestones, any type of slick or rain tyre you can think of on my FS and it won't rub.

on my FE501 I have a 5 inch with a contiattack SM street tyre and the chain is eating it up quite a bit... just goes to show.

Had a Conti Attack SM on there with a 5.0 before the Michelin. no issues

2014 KTM 1290R SuperDuke
    2012 KTM 500 Sumo

As a rider that likes to have as much shoulder as possible, would the Conti-attack be a good tire for me ?

I have the Pirelli diablo II's at the moment, but I don't like how narrow they are from the wall to the crown. Would the Conti's be the absolute widest I could stick on there ?

Also, do you guys run a specific type of chain for these setups ? I read that a non-O/X-ring chain is the narrowest chain and can help to avoid such problems.

Cheers!

Advertisement