SuperMoto Junkie banner

smr510 vs 'berg550

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Eric Landstrom 
#1 ·
whats the deal? speak up!!

#2 ·
Cant speak for the riding comparison but in some twisties near home (Melbourne Aust) I ate a 650 burg:D (I am proud). NO serious what I was going to say was that, the same burg only made it to 10000km's before needing major engine work and my SMR450 has 25200km's and is still on the original engine! HOpe that helps a little.
It has had a gearbox but that is an unusual failure. 5th gear broke in 4 pieces:headscrat

#3 ·
flash said:
It has had a gearbox but that is an unusual failure. 5th gear broke in 4 pieces:headscrat
not that unusual for a husky, i've seen 2 '05 510's break a gearbox within the first 3000 km :D

any '04 berg or younger will last just as long if you treat it with a little dignity when it comes to maintenance

and define "mayor engine work", i can't imagine you're still running your first piston cause that sure isn't gonne last you 25000 km if you ride with a little "flair"

#5 ·
Skully25 said:
not that unusual for a husky, i've seen 2 '05 510's break a gearbox within the first 3000 km :D

any '04 berg or younger will last just as long if you treat it with a little dignity when it comes to maintenance

and define "mayor engine work", i can't imagine you're still running your first piston cause that sure isn't gonne last you 25000 km if you ride with a little "flair"
That's the first I have heard about a gearbox problem other than mine and I went looking. Interesting that you mantion the 510 that is what I was thinking of getting next but I was going to put a cush on it just in case.

What are you basing the engine not lasting 25000km's I can post up a pic of the speedo but I guess I can change. This is the only transport I have other than a push bike.
The motor had some rings when the gearbox broke at 17200km's because it was apart and I wasn't paying for labour, The end gap was still in spec so I need not have worried but did it any way. I used to ride MX at a "B'" grade level so I know how to ride with Flair as you would say.
There is also another guy who rides with me who has put a lot more on an 03 wr250f and he used to ride for suzuki so lts say he can ride better than most. It's all about the maintanance Keep your filters very clean change the oil a lot and run a little 2 stoke or upper cylinder lube to make the valves last a little longer!

#6 ·
Hey Flash I'm impressed with the high Km's on a 450 and you say its your only transport !!!!! What most i want to know about is a cush drive for a husky. I have one on the kato but i do have factory wheels. as i am leanin more towards the husky more and more (610/510?) cush drive is an issue
BUT as much as i prefer clutch feel/control (old skool rider) what about a slipper clutch, do you or anyone that does a bit of commute/roadthrash/track etc... have any feed back???
ps hope i dont steal this thread

#7 ·
I thought about it but I think it would increase the maintainance further so for now I'm using the standard clutch and slipping it under brakes with my hand. As far as cush drive goes I'm still waiting on some responses but once the financial controller give me go I'll fill you in on what I get and how it goes:thumbup:

#8 ·
flash said:
That's the first I have heard about a gearbox problem other than mine and I went looking. Interesting that you mantion the 510 that is what I was thinking of getting next but I was going to put a cush on it just in case.

What are you basing the engine not lasting 25000km's I can post up a pic of the speedo but I guess I can change. This is the only transport I have other than a push bike.
The motor had some rings when the gearbox broke at 17200km's because it was apart and I wasn't paying for labour, The end gap was still in spec so I need not have worried but did it any way. I used to ride MX at a "B'" grade level so I know how to ride with Flair as you would say.
There is also another guy who rides with me who has put a lot more on an 03 wr250f and he used to ride for suzuki so lts say he can ride better than most. It's all about the maintanance Keep your filters very clean change the oil a lot and run a little 2 stoke or upper cylinder lube to make the valves last a little longer!

if you're using the bike for daily communiting you're not gonne be riding hard every time you take it out so in that case i guess it could be possible you made it to 25k without too much trouble

if i used my ktm to ride to work and school on a daily bases without pushing it too hard i'm sure it would last me just as long, if i add up the numbre of miles i do every week i'm at about 500, if i did does miles on my bike i'd be changing oil and filters every week and checking valves every 2 weeks so that wouldn't be very practical or cheap (oil and fuel don't come cheap over here...)

my bike's the only thing i got to but it's still a recreational vehicle, if i wanne get somewhere it's public transport for me (or my parent's car :D )

to get back ontopic, i've seen flaws on both the 550 berg and 510 husky, my mate who lives just a couple miles down the street bought a used '04 berg 550 as his first bike, couple months later a piece broke off at the sparkplug insertion area and he was forced to get a new top lid, a pretty weird flaw but it still happened, in the end he sold the bike for what it was worth and got a new ktm 640 LC4 (not available in the US), it was a nice bike for the time it was in good condition and the previous owner who i met on some ride-outs treated that bike like it was his baby, so it didn't get trashed or anything. the husky 510 i came across had some flaws to like the already mentioned gearbox issues at pretty low mileage and problems with the hydraulic clutch, these were '05 models and so far it seems there have been way less problems with the new '06 models

#9 ·
Scully I do give it a wippin a lot but you are right if your in traffic you can only go so fast! Even though it's a commuter as well as a toy my tyres wear out on the sides not the center like most bikes.

The 510 gearbox issue is interesting I might look into it again. I think the 05 and 06 have the same hydrolics.:headscrat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.