SuperMoto Junkie banner

Legal CR 500 - How to quiet down

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bully 
#1 ·
Anyone have a CR 500 that they have modified the exhaust to be in sound levels that are not a nuisance to my neighbors?

I love the bike, but the racket of the thing makes me uncomfortable on the street. I don't want a ticket and I don't want to project a bad image out there for everyone else (like Harley's with straight pipes.)

As they say, "Loud pipes lose rights!"

#2 ·
Me too

This has been one of my foremost concerns...

I have a FMF Q muffler on my AF and it really doesn't do the job.
I am planning to put on an exhaust wrap soon, but even that won't solve the fundemental problem that the muffler doesn't have enough volume (and I have heard that the AF models are even worse in this regard cause the muffler is a 250 model).

I am going to tackle this later this year.

Its either going to be dual mufflers, or a single large underseat muffler, guess which bike I am thinking of using....

if u read the fine print, 80dB is quite a reduction and below Pennsylvania requirements

the FMF on the bike promises something on the order of 90dB....just enough to piss off a cop....

Keith Walker

#3 ·
:headscrat I have a full pro .... pipe etc and I'm the quietest of the group....there is nuthin that you could possibally do to make it sound as loud as a 4 stroke.... :headscrat

#7 ·
I don't but I will, they are quite picky about noise levels at Canby Oregon, I will see If I can get mine tested, I'm thinkin 94 DB max for me..........100 DB is freakin loud.....

#8 ·
I sold my CR500 two years ago. Before I sold it, I purchased a J&R (Answer) silencer. It was custom built by the manufacturer to reduce sound level. I ran the silencer once and took it off. With the J&R silencer, the bike needed to be re-jetted. I sold the bike before I got around to playing with the jetting. I still have the silencer. The bike was much quiter with this silencer. J&R told me that bike would be below 91db. They built several of these silencers for riders in Michigan. Apparently, Michigan is very strict about moise levels on public lands.

I'll sell the silencer. I don't need it anymore. Conact me for more info and pictures.

- John

#9 ·
I had a CR500RK model back in the early 90's and raced a few hare scrambles and enduros.The best one I had was the Answer silencer.....I forget the actual model name but the thing would DB at 96 everytime out.Best bet is to keep the packing fresh....I also welded on a end pipe that turned the sound towards the ground....I think it helped.

Good luck
Chris

#10 ·
this is an paste from an email i got:

Hi,

You will need a DEP silencer which has low decibal output and has the BS mark, cost is £135.00inc vat Orders take approx 4 weeks.

Regards
Darren
e-mail: darren@dirtbikestore.com
surf us on the web: www.DirtBikeStore.com

i asked the guy for a road lagal pipe for my CR5....his answer above, check out their site and see if you can get a DEP locally to you.

HTH

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.