SuperMoto Junkie banner

Break in procedure for SMR...

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  thrills 
#1 ·
OK, so I am soon to be the proud owner of a SM 450R (ordered and paid, just waiting for delivery) and was curious about the break-in. I downloaded and read the owner's manual and it gives a brief summary of taking it easy but nothing concrete.

My last brand new bike was a CBR 929 and I recall having to keep it under 5k for the first while (and mixing the revs up in that range) and then keeping it under 10k (again not constant rpms)....all the while not going WOT or anything nasty for the first 1000km or so. Then once the 1000km oil/filter change and checkup, I was able to let it rip so to speak.

Is this how I should ride the Husky for the first bit? I have talked to a couple SMR owners and their break-ins varied so I was hoping I could get a little more input.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Break-In

I took it kind of easy for the first 1000km, but after changing the oil & filter and checking the valves, (they were fine), I considered it ready for full-throttle. On the other hand, I have a lot of fun riding it without using full throttle or revving it to what I assume is near redline, and it's not very comfortable to ride for long on the freeway at speed, so I don't tend to abuse it.

Recommended mods: +1 front/-3 rear sprockets, Sil Motor exhaust, 450MX jet kit, (150 main, different needle and pilot jet), and a black anodized Renthal Fatbar w/Ferracci handlebar clamp to make it look that much cooler.

#4 ·
Jolly705 said:
I'll summarize: Compression pressure pushes the rings out against the cyclinder wall. The rings wear in against the micro cross-hatch pattern on the cylinder wall and the cylinder wall wears in against the compression rings. It is okay to put your bike under a maximum load in the first few gears but do not bring the engine to redline.

#7 ·
siam said:
So really now. What is the redline mark of the 450's? I know the 250 is 13,000 but the 450 can't be close to that..
I've had mine up briefly to 9970 rpm per my digital tach. My guess is that redline is at or close to 10k rpm. Usually don't need to rev it that high.

#8 ·
Eric Landstrom said:
I'll summarize: Compression pressure pushes the rings out against the cyclinder wall. The rings wear in against the micro cross-hatch pattern on the cylinder wall and the cylinder wall wears in against the compression rings. It is okay to put your bike under a maximum load in the first few gears but do not bring the engine to redline.
boy was it tough to decide which advice to take for mine but after much reading and deliberation i decided to go with the harder break-in procedure.

#9 ·
yo Peter, so how do you set it to read RPM's I dont see any instructions on how to set it up that way.. :headscrat .. I dont think I have reached even 8k so I'm sure I'm okay.. It's just a bit scary when you down shift before the turn to try and back the rear for it may jump to the red rpm range but I think I'm okay.. just want to see in on the guage.

#10 ·
siam said:
yo Peter, so how do you set it to read RPM's I dont see any instructions on how to set it up that way.. :headscrat .. I dont think I have reached even 8k so I'm sure I'm okay.. It's just a bit scary when you down shift before the turn to try and back the rear for it may jump to the red rpm range but I think I'm okay.. just want to see in on the guage.
First of all you'll need to score a digital tach. Most of them have a memory that allows you to recall highest rpm. Daytona makes a good one that is backlit but its about $150. Very simple to install. There are cheaper ones available from Sendec but there is a delay in the LCD readout. The SMR has relatively close gear ratios so if you brake while downshifting, you shouldn't have to worry about over revving the motor. Another option is to get a slipper clutch or even a rekluse Z Start auto clutch. With the Z Start, it will take a little time to get used to and you might have to try different springs to change the stall speed to find what works best for you.

#11 ·
Oh man that is soo weak.. I thought the guage that came with the Husky had a tach setup.. Well that answers that. No wonder I didn't find instructions in the manual ehhy.. I like how the conventional clutch feels, seems to drift fine for now.. Awsome bike is all I could say.. even there is no tach.. :headshake

#12 ·
siam said:
Oh man that is soo weak.. I thought the guage that came with the Husky had a tach setup.. Well that answers that. No wonder I didn't find instructions in the manual ehhy.. I like how the conventional clutch feels, seems to drift fine for now.. Awsome bike is all I could say.. even there is no tach.. :headshake
The tach is not a necessity. I hardly even look at mine anymore but it is still installed because I use the hour meter function to keep track of maintenance.

#14 ·
siam said:
True true, just wanna see how much i'm turning the motor after a track session or something. Bro you should hit Hollister this Friday with your TE, I'm going with a few buds..
I have to work Friday. Went last Sunday and conditions were perfect. Saw about a half dozen huskies there. I was on my CRF150. That was fun.

#16 ·
thrills said:
wooohoo!! nice choice man. You get it from Bill?

Mine is also on its way.. well, actually its there, but just waiting for post-border crossing inspection.

So thats 3 now.. we're going to have to form a little West Coast Husky club!!

So it is YOUR bike I was drooling over last Saturday!! Mine is due in next weekend, but let me say your bike looks and sounds deadly, a real piece of work. Bill is the man when it comes to Husky's, so if we have a club we will have to use 5th gear as our headquarters. :)

#18 ·
thrills said:
Well Im glad you've gotten to see/hear it anyways!! Ive only seen holly's once in passing..

mmaaannn im dying. ive been waiting over a month now!! i just want to ride! haha
Yeah, waiting really is the hardest part. I would have thought parting with the money was but I just keep thinking of how cool it would be once I get the bike. I already have some parts to throw on it that I got last month for my 31st birthday; Cycra Pro bends, Acerbis Cyclops headlight, etc.

It should be great though, as soon as it comes in I am throwing insurance on it and getting out there, the weather has been fantastic! :)

#21 ·
Apparently the consensus is +1 in the front and -3 in the back for day to day riding.

I obviously dont plan on putting many highway miles on it, but at the same time dont really want to be running it wide open all the time.

Will have the stock setup on hand for the track through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.