SuperMoto Junkie banner

sm450r and rear rim width

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  siam 
#1 ·
After 2 weeks research, I can't find anything useful about rear wheel width, fitment, offset (or the lack of it), on the 450.

Can anyone chime in hear and give some feedback?

#3 ·
:infrandom
huskysm450r said:
Its a 4.25 rim. As far as offset, I'm not sure. A 5" rim would fit but barely from what I've seen on the husky race bikes.
Ok, you got me: I should have been a bit more specific.

My question is What is the OPTIMAL size to run on the 450? I have heard that the ONLY way to go is a 5.0" rear hoop, but I have also heard that it will not fit without running the chain into the tire and or rim. I have heard that a 4.5" hoop fits, but.............is it really worth it to spend money on upgrading a half inch? The tire selection is going to be pretty much the same, the only different would be the shape of the tire.........and even THAT wouldnt be noticeably different.

so, I am going to break the bike in with the 4.25 on the back, but I'd like to swap out to a 5.0" if its feasible.

so, is it feasible?

#4 ·
was thinking the same going wide and getting black excels.. I wanna see it in person before buying. Just wanna make sure.. Perhaps Issac from GP motorcycles in San Diego might know.. they work with lots of SM450r s..
Desmo, your on the SoCal area right? you should ask arround since the Pacifico team is based out from there.. Let me know what you find.... I think Pucho is on a Husky SM450r I'll ask some folks that know him what rear wheel he is running.

#5 ·
siam said:
was thinking the same going wide and getting black excels.. I wanna see it in person before buying. Just wanna make sure.. Perhaps Issac from GP motorcycles in San Diego might know.. they work with lots of SM450r s..
Desmo, your on the SoCal area right? you should ask arround since the Pacifico team is based out from there.. Let me know what you find.. I'll ask arround from this end..
Will do. GP is only 15 min. away, maybe I'll just pay them a visit. :hmmm:

#6 ·
i'm not sure about specific setup for running a 5.0" rim but i will add that i kept my 4.25" stock rim and even so, after hitting a few jumps (compressing the rear suspension) i noticed a lot of rubber scuffing on the pipe. so in addition to chain clearance, compress your rear suspension and check pipe clearance too (assuming you are not running a slimmer aftermarket, i guess)

more knowledgeable Husqi owners: anyone else notice this with their bike after compressing the rear suspension?

#8 ·
rims and thoughts....

We at Gp Motorcycles have ran 5.0s and 5.5s, the 5.0 seems to work the best and almost all bikes will need to space or possibly turn your can to let the tire come up on suspension...from what Ive noticed is that even though spacing is needed, alot of "other" makes hit also no matter what you do, it will depend on the pipe you run also!!!! Another thing is to consider..do you really need more rubber? If you are having issues with tire choices, I can highly recommend 160 series Pirellis, slicks ,Super corsas whatever, they seem to profile perfect! I am not the fastest or the slowest but I am still running a 4.25 on my SMR450 and Ive only hit the peg a time or two(Amago) on hard accelration and suspension being used up more than most corners....and there is still a small teeny lil' strip of tire thats not being used...I am building a 5.00 rear only to accept more tire choices(take offs are king)ie 165s and the like....to address the chain rubbing issue, I have only experienced the chain hitting the rim with 5.5 rims, and those are on our 630 machines..If there are any further questions I would happy to answer them via email or gimme a call at our shop!!!Isaac 619-233-4762 :thumbup:

#10 ·
I've had the tyre rub too. I hit a supercross jump on the SMR450 (which I would normally do on my yz125) not thinking what I was on and yes well it turned out OK in the end. I think a little more on my first lap about which bike i'm on now!!! :hammer:

#11 ·
gpmchusky said:
We at Gp Motorcycles have ran 5.0s and 5.5s, the 5.0 seems to work the best and almost all bikes will need to space or possibly turn your can to let the tire come up on suspension...from what Ive noticed is that even though spacing is needed, alot of "other" makes hit also no matter what you do, it will depend on the pipe you run also!!!! Another thing is to consider..do you really need more rubber? If you are having issues with tire choices, I can highly recommend 160 series Pirellis, slicks ,Super corsas whatever, they seem to profile perfect! I am not the fastest or the slowest but I am still running a 4.25 on my SMR450 and Ive only hit the peg a time or two(Amago) on hard accelration and suspension being used up more than most corners....and there is still a small teeny lil' strip of tire thats not being used...I am building a 5.00 rear only to accept more tire choices(take offs are king)ie 165s and the like....to address the chain rubbing issue, I have only experienced the chain hitting the rim with 5.5 rims, and those are on our 630 machines..If there are any further questions I would happy to answer them via email or gimme a call at our shop!!!Isaac 619-233-4762 :thumbup:
:thumbup: That's great info Isaac! I'll be down to GP next week to pick your brain on dailing in the new 450. I plan on leaving the motor stock for the first week, then doing a pipe and jet kit, and whatever else it may need.

Graci' Isaac!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.