SuperMoto Junkie banner

break in........... oh yeah, she's Broke-in all right!

5K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  desmo_speeding 
#1 · (Edited)
Took out the new 450 on Sunday for her break in ride.

4 hours of steadily increasing rpms, loading, warmups and cool downs (stops for gas every 40 to 60 miles). The 16/42 gearing made the break in a peice of cake, and I was able to ride whatever pace the road dictated without concern for over revving the new motor. It's a huge contrast between this little bike and a sportbike, so light.......but so quick to put you on your ass too! In a nice little left hand sweeper the back end just snapped away without warning and I went from "knee down" to knee..ass...boot....forearm, and shoulder down" in a heartbeat. Oh well. No major damage though: that much I am thankful for. A similar lowside on my 999 would have netted me a bill roughly the cost of this beautiful little husky! so NO WORRIES HERE! :thumbup: Then again, the Duc wouldnt have slid a tire there either.... ;)

After the crash I stopped by Amago for some zip ties from MIkey and Tim (the Husky contingent from Oceanside Ducati aprilia Husky) to put the rear fender back together; and then went up to Palomar to finish breaking in the bike. Palomar is a great place to ride a moto, you can ride a reasonable pace and get the same feeling you would from a sportbike at a 30% faster pace.

oh yeah.........
1.the manual calling for an input of front tire diameter of 2223 for the front tire is ridiculous. I dont think this thing goes 140mph :lol: I'll get my gps velcro'd to the tank, and get some adjustments done pronto.
2. This bike deserves better tires stock.
3. the clutch is full of air
4. Brakes are full of air too
5. I should have ordered up all the extra schwag for the bike before I rode it, not just the gearing.

ordered today:
from SME(thanks Harry!): axle sliders, bar ends , carb drain, footpeg sliders.
from MotoStrano: Cycra's, new grips, and a CRG mirror.
From Dennis Kirk: shim kit and brake light switch

yeah.........shoulda done that first :hammer:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice to hear you enjoyed your first ride, and it looks like I am putting my time to good use as I wait for my street legal paperwork to process.

I have put on the axle sliders, and have the Cycra's and 42T rear on the way. I will also be wiring up a brake light and since this requires a couple of hydraulic brake switches I will need to bleed the brake lines anyway--I noticed the front brake was spongy too and after reading your post I guess I was correct but I will now check the clutch.

I am interested in learning what your top speed is with the 16/42 since I had planned on starting with the 15/42 and then seeing if a change on the front was really needed. Sounds like it is since I would like a top speed of around 140 since I do have a couple stretches of freeway on my way to work/school where I will cruise at around 60-70 (don't want the revs too high).

As for tires, I figured they would not be the best but OK for the initial set. Once the rear wears out I will replace them both with a set of Maxxis Goldspeeds or Avon Distanza's I think. I read a supermoto tire shootout that tested about 8 tires and the Goldspeeds performed very well.

But man oh man, I would just be happy to throw a leg over the bike and take it for a rip around the block right now. :)

#4 ·
vrecksler said:
Nice to hear you enjoyed your first ride, and it looks like I am putting my time to good use as I wait for my street legal paperwork to process.

I have put on the axle sliders, and have the Cycra's and 42T rear on the way. I will also be wiring up a brake light and since this requires a couple of hydraulic brake switches I will need to bleed the brake lines anyway--I noticed the front brake was spongy too and after reading your post I guess I was correct but I will now check the clutch.

I am interested in learning what your top speed is with the 16/42 since I had planned on starting with the 15/42 and then seeing if a change on the front was really needed. Sounds like it is since I would like a top speed of around 140 since I do have a couple stretches of freeway on my way to work/school where I will cruise at around 60-70 (don't want the revs too high).

As for tires, I figured they would not be the best but OK for the initial set. Once the rear wears out I will replace them both with a set of Maxxis Goldspeeds or Avon Distanza's I think. I read a supermoto tire shootout that tested about 8 tires and the Goldspeeds performed very well.

But man oh man, I would just be happy to throw a leg over the bike and take it for a rip around the block right now. :)
Sounds like you are on top of things!
I'd put a 16t on the front if you are only going to change one sprocket, but I would definitely recommend switching both before you run the bike in. I think the recommendations made on this website to that set of gears was TOP KNOTCH advice, especially on a new bike for break in purposes.

Yes, bleed bleed bleed those brakes. After a run down the tight side of Palomar I had the brake lever pulled to the grip for a good 5 seconds before I got anywhere NEAR stopped. It was a good thing that I wasnt going that Hot into a corner......that would have been ugly. You could tell there was a good sized bubble in the clutch too, because the engagement point was a crap-shoot on every upshift and downshift. Not a problem out on the road, but once I was back in town and sitting at stoplights, it wasnt fun when the clutch would engage as soon as I moved the clutch a mm. from the bar, and it killed the motor.

Jolly: yep, its one way alright; riding all day long in March. How's the weather in NY :FU: j/k!

#6 ·
ok, stupid questions about bleeding the brake and clutch lines... wouldn't the need for that vary between which dealer you get the bike from? resulting from who specifically put it together or do those things come with those particular fluids already installed in the crate?

#7 ·
sliver said:
ok, stupid questions about bleeding the brake and clutch lines... wouldn't the need for that vary between which dealer you get the bike from? resulting from who specifically put it together or do those things come with those particular fluids already installed in the crate?
Good question.

best not to find out the hard way.

#8 ·
Desmo,
Where you at amago/palomar yesterday? (sunday 3/13) i saw a tard heading down while i was heading up the tight side. I was also at amago, on the plated yz400. there was a bunch of huskies, but i was a bit busy riding to chat much!

wierd thing at amago, only one crf in a swarm of huskies, ktms, and yammies...

#9 ·
Go for the DOT Goldspeeds Med Front and Hard rear.. Hard is still soft for normal tire standars. Killed my GoldSpeeds in 3 track days soft front and Med rear.. was pushing it big time on my 1rst race Sunday but the tires didn't fail me.. The persa goes on this weekend... :D Husqvarnas ROCK !!!!

#10 ·
bdmmotard said:
Desmo,
Where you at amago/palomar yesterday? (sunday 3/13) i saw a tard heading down while i was heading up the tight side. I was also at amago, on the plated yz400. there was a bunch of huskies, but i was a bit busy riding to chat much!

wierd thing at amago, only one crf in a swarm of huskies, ktms, and yammies...
Yep, that was me!
I'll be out to run at Amago in another week, or I'll definitely get out there during the week for a "half day". From what I hear, weekdays are the hot ticket to run at Amago.........no crowds! :thumbup:

#11 ·
Brake Switch

vrecksler said:
I will also be wiring up a brake light and since this requires a couple of hydraulic brake switches I will need to bleed the brake lines anyway--I noticed the front brake was spongy too and after reading your post I guess I was correct but I will now check the clutch.

I am interested in learning what your top speed is with the 16/42 since I had planned on starting with the 15/42 and then seeing if a change on the front was really needed.
Your front brake lever already has a switch - you just need to wire it up. I've had to bleed my clutch a couple of times, but not the brakes (front or rear) - your mileage may vary.

I've been running 16/42 gearing for awhile now, and it seems perfect - I can keep up on the freeway, but it's just fine around town and through relatively tight turns. I never find myself wanting a lower first gear, no matter how tight the roads are.

#12 ·
asg21 said:
Your front brake lever already has a switch - you just need to wire it up. I've had to bleed my clutch a couple of times, but not the brakes (front or rear) - your mileage may vary.

I've been running 16/42 gearing for awhile now, and it seems perfect - I can keep up on the freeway, but it's just fine around town and through relatively tight turns. I never find myself wanting a lower first gear, no matter how tight the roads are.
Yeah? Thanks! I have to admit I did not even check, I quickly checked the rear and it just had a regular banjo bolt so I made the mistake of assuming the front needed one two. That means I just saved $20, that is like 5 tanks of gas until they come out with a proper sized aftermarket tank! :)

#13 ·
vrecksler said:
Yeah? Thanks! I have to admit I did not even check, I quickly checked the rear and it just had a regular banjo bolt so I made the mistake of assuming the front needed one two. That means I just saved $20, that is like 5 tanks of gas until they come out with a proper sized aftermarket tank! :)
IMS already has a 3.0 gal tank for your '04, vrecksler. You'll have to do some navigating but they list it at $225 on their web site.

http://www.imsproducts.com/index2new.html

#14 ·
desmo_speeding said:
Took out the new 450 on Sunday for her break in ride.

4 hours of steadily increasing rpms, loading, warmups and cool downs (stops for gas every 40 to 60 miles). The 16/42 gearing made the break in a peice of cake, and I was able to ride whatever pace the road dictated without concern for over revving the new motor. It's a huge contrast between this little bike and a sportbike, so light.......but so quick to put you on your ass too! In a nice little left hand sweeper the back end just snapped away without warning and I went from "knee down" to knee..ass...boot....forearm, and shoulder down" in a heartbeat. Oh well. No major damage though: that much I am thankful for. A similar lowside on my 999 would have netted me a bill roughly the cost of this beautiful little husky! so NO WORRIES HERE! :thumbup: Then again, the Duc wouldnt have slid a tire there either.... ;)

After the crash I stopped by Amago for some zip ties from MIkey and Tim (the Husky contingent from Oceanside Ducati aprilia Husky) to put the rear fender back together; and then went up to Palomar to finish breaking in the bike. Palomar is a great place to ride a moto, you can ride a reasonable pace and get the same feeling you would from a sportbike at a 30% faster pace.

oh yeah.........
1.the manual calling for an input of front tire diameter of 2223 for the front tire is ridiculous. I dont think this thing goes 140mph :lol: I'll get my gps velcro'd to the tank, and get some adjustments done pronto.
2. This bike deserves better tires stock.
3. the clutch is full of air
4. Brakes are full of air too
5. I should have ordered up all the extra schwag for the bike before I rode it, not just the gearing.

ordered today:
from SME(thanks Harry!): axle sliders, bar ends , carb drain, footpeg sliders.
from MotoStrano: Cycra's, new grips, and a CRG mirror.
From Dennis Kirk: shim kit and brake light switch

yeah.........shoulda done that first :hammer:

Palomar is one of my fav's in SoCal, right up there with Decker Canyon and Stunt (Canyon or road) Def worth the drive from Vegas to SoCal, that place is made for Tards.

#15 ·
Just as a warning to many 450SMR owners (at least the 04s), the stock tires stink. They are hard and very unforgiving. I've had the rear let go on me twice on Palomar and the front chatters like a drunk housewife.

Glad to hear about your fun, sorry for your scrapes. Hope to see you up there sometime.

yellow Arai, yellow/silver leathers. One black Husky.

#17 ·
vrecksler said:
Thanks Eric! I have been checking the TT Husky forums as they have a huge thread on aftermarket tanks, and was going to get an 05 tank and 05 plastics (yellow and blue TC) for a change of pace but I would prefer to just get it now while I still have some money. :)
with 16/42 gears and a smooth throttle hand, You should be able to get 90 miles out of a 2.0 gallon tank. I think I'll hold off on a 3.0 tank for now, and put that $225 into an exhaust or something :thumbup:

#18 ·
desmo_speeding said:
with 16/42 gears and a smooth throttle hand, You should be able to get 90 miles out of a 2.0 gallon tank. I think I'll hold off on a 3.0 tank for now, and put that $225 into an exhaust or something :thumbup:

Yeah? The thing is I am coming from a DRZ S so I figure the stock Husky is going to provide MORE than enough performance for me right now, however work is 45 km from home (30 miles ish) so I would be filling up every second day. Money is not a problem right now, my income tax refund cheque is paying for all of my extras so I am not too worried about the tank expense but you have got me thinking that the tank is not something I absolutely need right now.

I guess I will stick with the stock tank and see how it works for me first. :)

#19 ·
vrecksler said:
Yeah? The thing is I am coming from a DRZ S so I figure the stock Husky is going to provide MORE than enough performance for me right now, however work is 45 km from home (30 miles ish) so I would be filling up every second day. Money is not a problem right now, my income tax refund cheque is paying for all of my extras so I am not too worried about the tank expense but you have got me thinking that the tank is not something I absolutely need right now.

I guess I will stick with the stock tank and see how it works for me first. :)
Try it with the 2.0
IF you hate it, IMS is only a phone call away :thumbup:

#20 ·
that is great to know, I crash alot. I have avoided the crash so far on this bike and no close calls really so far. This bike reminds me of riding my first new street-legal bike, a '79 Honda XL125S

I love to lock the rear wheel in the dirt, it fishtails around a little, then an easy hairpin turn, and dig out like nothing else.

#21 ·
SME sent out all the stuff I ordered, and I got it the next day.
NICE job guys! and good pricing too.
Motoxotica sent me my new fender within 24hrs. too. Price was OK, but they were FAST.
Dennis Kirk ordered on Monday, here today (according to tracking info). but not here just yet.......
All these orders were placed with UPS residential standard shipping, not next day or anything special. It's GREAT to see a business that has their stuff together, and processes orders in a timely fashion, etc.

Ordered from XX on Monday, havent heard anything from them yet. Called to check on the order and my CC info wasnt copied correctly. Order never placed........, nobody called me, nobody emailed me; Nada. Kinda bummed out about that one. So, I cancelled the order

I called these guys: (ordered stuff for the Ducs from them a while back)

and they ended up having some significantly lower prices than I was expecting to pay. Significantly lower=(50% less) on at least one of my items.

Not trying to harsh on anyone for poor service, but definitely trying to share knowledge of where to get good prices, and help out the community. Knowledge is power, and though it will cost me my ride on the Husky this weekend, I will now save about $70...........and I can still take out a Duc. ;)

#23 ·
I ordered the drain kit (5 hole) bar end sliders, axle sliders, and footpeg sliders from SME
new rear fender from motoxotica
valve shim kit and the brake light bits n peices from Dennis kirk.

cycras, grips, CRG mirrors, and an Akropovic Ti exhaust system from Cal-Sportbike.

All the SME stuff was nice, good quality, good pricing. the drain kit doesnt fit for our bikes though, and needs to be modified because the holes are 1/4 inch, and our hoses are 8mm, so you better have a drill bit handy before you try to install the cute little bugger. It's still a nice peice though, no criticism whatsoever.
Good stuff All! :bowdown:

#25 ·
thrills said:
pics man, pics!!

partially assembled. awaiting footpeg sliders, and new valve shims, cycras w/SME sliders, new grips (pro grip 714's), and the CRG mirrors.

Drain kit mocked into place. I'll drill the frame and weld a nut-cert to permanently locate the drain, and get rid of the zip tie. You can also see the 16/42 sprocket combo, and the rear "sportsman" axle slider.

Front axle slider

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.