SuperMoto Junkie banner

Lets All Figure how to fix my bike, it will be FUN!

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  vrecksler 
#1 ·
I still have the MSO on my bike, and need to get a title soon, I am sure they will want to see the bike if I decide to register it for the street.

The guys at Munroe Motors said they ordered several sets of parts, from a Euro dealer, and it took 5 months to get the stuff, then they converted every sm450r they had, so they would be easier to sell.

I asked for a parts list and they basically blew me off. Maybe someone has a link or connection to a Euro husky dealer who knows what is up with making my U.S. Model like a Euro Model.

Things I am sure I will need are

1) Brake light, maybe Acerbis or Baja Designs, on when ignition on, even when motor is off, brighter with brake levers depressed.

2) Brembo brake switches for front and rear brake, to work with existing brembo stuff

3) Horn, I have a button and the horn already, just wire issues here

4) Turn Signals, the euro model has them, so might as well, might be able to legalize without these depending on county laws in New Mexico

5) Headlight is OK, I THINK, maybe needs high-low beam, not sure yet

What I need from my website buddies is the name of a dealer in the U.K. or some other english speaking dealer, who can help.

See less See more
#3 ·
That would be fine if it would fit.

I was hoping for something like "The HONDA KIT WILL WORK" or something like that. No matter what I do, I have to order stuff, and want to avoid buying the wrong thing. Maybe a kit is a kit is a kit, but I don't know that, I have never installed one.

#5 ·
gpmchusky here on the board works for gp motorcycles that sell husky smr's plus he owns one. perhaps he can help you out. contact info at their website: http://www.gpmotorcycles.com/

if you want to do it yourself here's a parts list that worked for me on my wr400:
ufo tailsection w/ integrated turn signals
k and s turnsignal switch
k and s brakeswitch for brembo (front)
any blinkers for the front
flasher relay from autoparts store.
12 pack, wire, and a couple hours.

oh and don't buy that baja designs crap

#6 ·
I have the exact same bike and here is how I am going about things.

1. Download Service Manual from link that Eric posted, you need this to know how to wire all your stuff up.

2. Buy you parts; I got the Baja Designs LED brake light and LH commutator, a K&S horn, brake light switches, a flasher relay, and whole smack of LED's for my eventual brake light mod and turn signals.

3. Go through wiring diagram from Service Manual and wire it all up.

It seems easy, and so far it is. Once I printed out the service manual (at work) it is pretty easy because you only need to tap the stock wiring in two places, all the other wiring is the stuff you add.

I still have to buy a flasher relay and will pick that up on Saturday, in the meantime I am proceeding to put it all together. The plastics and tank are off and I am just waiting for the crack of dawn to start it all. The Veypor is going to be the real challenge though, looks complex compared to adding a few wires and lights. :)

#7 ·
Like Vrecksler has said: you want to get the serivice and parts manuals.

I'm still waiting for my '05 to come in. Once I have the bike's wiring harness to look at and reference, I will likely publish a how to on getting your Husky street happy. At the very least, I'll draw out a wiring diagram for blinkers, flasher, key and what not to follow so your Husky isn't such a wind-up toy.

Vrecksler may have found a Husky dealer (motoxotica.com) today who can get the European parts quickly. Both Vrecksler and I ordered the unobtainum front brake mirco switch we were unable to order through other dealers and we were told 10-12 days for it to arrive. If that is the case, and MotoXotica can get the unobtainum Euro parts, I will likely be ordering some more European Husky lighting bits from MotoXotica in the future.

If not, I will be running K&S's universal switch gear for hi-low beam, horn, and blinkers, K&S's brake light banjo bolt for the rear brake and whatever flasher I find at the local automotive store along with Bosch micro relays where needed.

Chrome-CRF also gave me an idea of using a low voltage squirel-cage fan from a computer for cooling one of the radiators. I'd like to match up a plug out of the cooling system somewhere with a proper temperature switch to kick the fan on and off.

#8 ·
Eric Landstrom said:
Chrome-CRF also gave me an idea of using a low voltage squirel-cage fan from a computer for cooling one of the radiators. I'd like to match up a plug out of the cooling system somewhere with a proper temperature switch to kick the fan on and off.

Ooooh, that is nice. A friend of mine did that on his dual purpose when the stock fan quit, it was super cheap although he just wired it to a switch that he controlled. If you get that straightened, mmmmm that would be sweet.

Of course I have not even ridden my bike yet and honestly do not anticipate much of an over-heating issue.

#9 ·
vrecksler said:
Ooooh, that is nice. A friend of mine did that on his dual purpose when the stock fan quit, it was super cheap although he just wired it to a switch that he controlled. If you get that straightened, mmmmm that would be sweet.

Of course I have not even ridden my bike yet and honestly do not anticipate much of an over-heating issue.
I wouldn't expect the need for a relay using a computer fan—especially a low profile fan but it would be an interesting trip at the auto store: "Can I see your temp switches? all the them? I wanna match this plug up with one, see. Got any that kick on at 205-210°F?

I don't have a bike to even mess with yet. I could be doing all this stuff right now before the riding season starts if the bike would come in.

Groan.

#10 ·
desmo_speeding said:
If your in new Mex. why dont you just call up Husky in Mexico City, and get the info from them?

Their address is listed in the supplemental that came along with your owners manual.
That IS funny as hell, for many reasons.

I was in Florida trying to rent a car as a walk-up customer, and the clerk told me I needed a U.S. license to rent a car in the U.S.

It took another 20 minutes to convince them, they finally called someone. I have seen many old maps when "NUEVO" was in northern Mexico.

#12 ·
SuperRetard said:
On the cooling fan issue, it seems you could get a 12v computer fan pretty cheap, then just run it all the time.

I have seen them for $5.00
You could do that but you'd want a provision to turn it off so it doesn't run the battery down and you'd want it to cycle on and off so that it doesn't burn itself out because computer fans are not made to be exposed to the elements or to take the heat rolling off of a radiator. Personally, I can deal with the fan failing because it is cheap but I couldn't deal with a fan throwing heat on me all the time.

#15 ·
Unobtanium?

Eric Landstrom said:
Both Vrecksler and I ordered the unobtainum front brake mirco switch we were unable to order through other dealers and we were told 10-12 days for it to arrive.

Chrome-CRF also gave me an idea of using a low voltage squirel-cage fan from a computer for cooling one of the radiators.
Try peeling back the rubber lever cover on your front brake and you'll find the switch is already there - just connect wires to the two tiny posts (you'll need to get a hot lead from elsewhere, of course).

I'm not a cooling expert, and I'm sure a tiny fan will look cool behind your radiator, but do you really expect it to do anything? How about hooking up a temp gauge to see if your bike actually runs hot enough to need one? Personally, I don't think sitting at the occasional traffic light is nearly as bad as slow enduro trail riding, and the bikes seem to work ok in that application. If I'm sitting at a light for a long time, I just shut it off.

#16 ·
asg21 said:
Try peeling back the rubber lever cover on your front brake and you'll find the switch is already there - just connect wires to the two tiny posts (you'll need to get a hot lead from elsewhere, of course).
Nope; on my model you peel back the cover and there is a big square space where a switch should reside, hence it was necessary to order one. :)

#17 ·
Contact Fast By Ferracci - although they do not have them listed on their website according to my dealer they carry two kits that you are looking for to make you SMR streetable: the new Baja Designs kit that started its life on a KTM, and the 'official' Husky kit. Why the cooling fan? Haven't needed one yet, but I guess you're in the desert...

#18 ·
asg21 said:

I'm not a cooling expert, and I'm sure a tiny fan will look cool behind your radiator, but do you really expect it to do anything? How about hooking up a temp gauge to see if your bike actually runs hot enough to need one? Personally, I don't think sitting at the occasional traffic light is nearly as bad as slow enduro trail riding, and the bikes seem to work ok in that application. If I'm sitting at a light for a long time, I just shut it off.
Considering that the radiator boiled over while I was on a test ride, yes, I think the bike could use a cooling fan or at the very least, a higher pressure radiator cap.

I haven't seen my 510 yet so I may have brake switches (I have conflicting reports) but Vrecksler's bike didn't have a switch and neither did the '04 SM450R demo my dealer is trying to sell right now. If my bike does come with the brake light switches, then I'll sell the brake switches I purchased on ebay. I just didn't want to wait for switches to show up if I needed them and I didn't want to run banjo bolt switches.

#19 ·
Different Versions

Eric Landstrom said:
Considering that the radiator boiled over while I was on a test ride, yes, I think the bike could use a cooling fan or at the very least, a higher pressure radiator cap.

I haven't seen my 510 yet so I may have brake switches (I have conflicting reports) but Vrecksler's bike didn't have a switch and neither did the '04 SM450R demo my dealer is trying to sell right now. If my bike does come with the brake light switches, then I'll sell the brake switches I purchased on ebay. I just didn't want to wait for switches to show up if I needed them and I didn't want to run banjo bolt switches.
I haven't looked at other bikes, so I assumed all the SM450Rs were the same. The "switch" I've referred to is actually inside the lever assembly, but there are two exposed terminals to connect wires to. As for overheating, I haven't experienced any problems yet - even sitting at long traffic signals - but I haven't ridden in 90+ weather.

#20 ·
asg21 said:
I haven't looked at other bikes, so I assumed all the SM450Rs were the same. The "switch" I've referred to is actually inside the lever assembly, but there are two exposed terminals to connect wires to.

Could you post a picture? I am pretty sure my bike has nothing there, but I have been wrong plenty so I do not rule out the possibility of that being the case here. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.