SuperMoto Junkie banner

DRZ400SM or a DR650 with 17" wheels & tires?

38K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  SUMORYDR 
#1 ·
Which would be more fun on the street? I would get the 17" wheels and tires for the 650. Both are the same $ relatively. I weigh 250 and am 6' tall. I would buy brand new. Which would you do and why? Thanks for the opinions.

#4 ·
I would recommend to ride both and make your decision that way. If I remember correctly there is a 300# person riding a drz400 and he doesn't have a problem with it.

#5 ·
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 6'5" tall and about 225. We have a DRZ and it's a ton of fun but something bigger would be nice so I'm thinking DR w/17' rims. The local shop says they can build whatever I want, as far as wheels. I'm gonna go check 'em out tomorrow. :D

#11 ·

I own both. I bought the 400 last summer. I built the 650 for my wife over the winter. The 650 is a much better street bike. Both bikes have virtually the same mods: open airbox, exhaust, rejet, stock carb, stock gearing.

My 650 will beat my 400 in a drag race, top end, and roll-ons at any speed. I will most likely pick up another 650 to convert next winter. I will give my 400 to my 17 year old son.

#12 ·
and you can't make the 650 put out 55-60hp either. Well atleast as reliably or easy.

#13 ·
i got on the freeway on my buddies 650 and was blown away. it was so smooth, and way lower rpm's than my 400, and that's with my 400 geared tall. THEN i realized i still had another gear to go. the 650 is "sport tourer" of motards. nice to ride a sm and not worry at all if you're taxing it. if you're going to do any regular freeway 650 for sure. as a screw around bike i'd go with the 400.

#14 ·
the_aussiedr650 said:

The best way to go!

Regards Aussie
I think I was just sold on the DR650 from that pic! What a NICE looking street tard!

Could you please post more details on the rims and tires? Looks like a/m rims laced into the stock hubs? 120 front and about a 150/160 rear?

What did you do for speedo recalibration?

Thanks.

#15 ·
My girl friend want me to start riding with her on the street and I have been thinking about building a 650. The 650 should be readily available new from dealers at a great price since they didn't sell very well. Ask your dealer if they have any left overs. They are the same bike no matter what year. I am leaning towards the re branded Kawasaki KLX650 that was part of the Kawasaki/Suzuki swap.

#16 ·
I own a 2002 DR650SE that is completely been modded for street use only - it is an excellent all-around motorcycle that is far more fun than I expected it to be. I also own two GSX-R's and more often than not I end up riding the 650 because it is just more fun and less risk to my license.

Although the 400 is appealing (especially in the factory SM config) the 650 motor is far superior in everyday street riding and feels far less stressed. The best deal out there is to pick up a slightly used DR650 and kick in a few bucks to make it a super capable street ride. That little 400 just feels like it is working WAY too hard at 65-75 mph whereas the 650 feels quite comfortable cruising at 75. The biggest advantage to the 400 is a wider selection of aftermarket parts.

The only big mod I have left to make is full-on 17" supermoto wheels. I am currently running the stock wheels with Dunlop D607 rubber (140 on the rear) and to be quite honest this set-up is amazingly capable and the bike handles awesome with great grip. I just mounted a new 2007 DR gas tank and Acerbis Teknic front fender plus Tag oversized 1-1/8" gold bars - as soon as I figure out how to post photos here I will share a few.

#17 ·
APE907 said:
I own a 2002 DR650SE that is completely been modded for street use only - it is an excellent all-around motorcycle that is far more fun than I expected it to be. I also own two GSX-R's and more often than not I end up riding the 650 because it is just more fun and less risk to my license.

Although the 400 is appealing (especially in the factory SM config) the 650 motor is far superior in everyday street riding and feels far less stressed. The best deal out there is to pick up a slightly used DR650 and kick in a few bucks to make it a super capable street ride. That little 400 just feels like it is working WAY too hard at 65-75 mph whereas the 650 feels quite comfortable cruising at 75. The biggest advantage to the 400 is a wider selection of aftermarket parts.

The only big mod I have left to make is full-on 17" supermoto wheels. I am currently running the stock wheels with Dunlop D607 rubber (140 on the rear) and to be quite honest this set-up is amazingly capable and the bike handles awesome with great grip. I just mounted a new 2007 DR gas tank and Acerbis Teknic front fender plus Tag oversized 1-1/8" gold bars - as soon as I figure out how to post photos here I will share a few.
Yep, I've been looking at the DR650, XR650L and DRZ400SM for the longest time now.

I want a do all bike that can do some track days in SM mode (on larger tracks, not kart racks) and also some light off road use (fire roads), and be hiway capable.

It's looking like the DR650 in SM mode is the way to go. The XR650L is just too darned tall for me, although the a/m parts availability is good for this bike.

The DRZ400SM is nice, and VERY capable off road, but that engine is awefully busy at hiway speeds, which I will need to do to get to the fire roads, and twisties (ACH).

Plus, having a stock 3.2 gal tank on the DR650 is nice! That Aussie's bike is NICE, and basically all that I would do; rims, tires, bash plate, and hand guards.

A local dealer has them priced for $4899 OTD.

#19 ·
Man, I saw a NICE DRZ400SM today on the 101 and I'm all over the map AGAIN! :lol:

He was cruising at 75-80 and the bike sounded great with a nice a/m exhaust note!

This sure is tough, since I'm a dirt biker and really need a DP capable bike, I'm swinging toward the 400SM again. :damn:

#20 ·
I can't possibly see why people think the 400 would be stressing on the highway. Your not pegging it at redline are you? If your trying to go 100 on the thing than ya. But regardless cruising at like 65-75 shouldn't really be taxing the engine. And it's like the most reliable engine ever...ok maybe not but it sure is reliable. If you ever want more power out of it you can throw some mods on it. Then again I just like having liquid cooled bikes. I like radiators...they keep things cool....haha.

#22 ·
bhd1223 said:
I can't possibly see why people think the 400 would be stressing on the highway. Your not pegging it at redline are you? If your trying to go 100 on the thing than ya. But regardless cruising at like 65-75 shouldn't really be taxing the engine. And it's like the most reliable engine ever...ok maybe not but it sure is reliable. If you ever want more power out of it you can throw some mods on it. Then again I just like having liquid cooled bikes. I like radiators...they keep things cool....haha.
You're right, I've been doing the whole pro/con thing for a while now on the 400SM.

It's a cool looking bike, and I'm getting a test ride on a buddys 400SM this coming Friday.

I've always had a DP bike in my garage for many years; MT125, DT250, SP370, XL500 and finally an XT600.

I really do miss the whole DP and fire roading thing.

#23 ·
just got back from a 100% highway ride...full tank..80ish miles or so.

bike cruises fine at 75-80mph....doesnt hit the limiter...and didnt explode.

sure it doesnt have THAT much more in it...but if you wanna do 80+ on the interstate...pick a different bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.