SuperMoto Junkie banner

Husqvarna 450/510 0-60 times, and gearing change

42K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Planepower 
#1 ·
what speed does the 510 max out on stock? how about dropping 6-8 teeth in the rear? It would be nice to be able to hold 60 without to much worry and be able to wack it up to 80 on the straights. Anyone have 0-60 times, or quarter mile times?

oh and another question, i got a broshure from the NY motorycle show in January for the SMR's, it says 241 pounds dry (With the Light Kit) but the husky website says 263 pounds? whats the actually weight here?

#2 ·
Not sure what the times are but dropping 6 - 8 th is a lil over kill i think. the whole point to a thumper is the monster torque and pull you get right off the throttle. Gearing it too much will make it not near as quick or torquey :)

#4 ·
good news then, ive heard nothing but good things about the 510, but some guy said your shifting way to often and cant hold a high speed, i quess hes just to used to the crochrockets.

What about max speed or quarter mile?

#6 ·
no im curiouse to see if its actually that much better than the DRZ, the DRZ got 0-60 in 5.45, and quarter mile in 13.6 (motorcycle consumer news) numbers convince me more than just some guy saying "the 510 will smoke the DRZ"

#14 ·
Old thread resurrection, but I have great data point for this:

I got a freind at work that used to drag bikes. Anyway there is a test and tune night at a 1/8th mile drag strip where it costs $7 to get in and you can go as many times as you can line up and get through the queue. He had taken his DRZ400SM there and ran a 9.01 and wanted to break into the 8's, and he talked my into taking my 510 out there just to be a nutter and run a sumo down a track with Busa's and mustangs.

I had never done it before, but made 5 runs, all were 8.3-8.4 seconds with my best time being 8.31 and the trap speed 82.xx mph. My 60 ft times were shit, about 2 seconds because I was being a pussy afraid to wheelie, and he is a much better 1.9 seconds. I am 6'4" and 200lbs, and he is about 6' and probably a little bit lighter, but lets call that a wash. So despite his skill, the best he could muster is about 9.1 at 71mph.

So a much better rider (for drag racing anyway) with a much better launch on the DRZ, and still the Husky had the power to develop more than 10mph higher trap speed and 7-8ths faster time. He was very surprised and so were a lot of people there watching. "wow that dirt bike did a 8.31?" I have no perspective except that was faster than many of the street legal cars running there, but the point is it was a good indication of just how much more powerful the Husky is to the DRZ. I would bet that if he rode the husky with some practice he could have it down to 8.1 or 8.0 with 84mph, so the difference would be even greater. I was using 15/41 if it matters, and actually think using a 16t CS would have made for better times with one less shift and easier to launch hard. Maybe I will go back to try again someday.

So yeah, I got data, the Husky 510 eats the DRZ's lunch. Of course the DRZ owner can ride all the time, while the Husky owner is working on his bike a lot more often, but different horses for different courses.

#7 ·
You will want some numbers from consumer news for 1/4" mile times. Running these things well in the 1/4 will take some skill... especially with the stock gearing on the 510. The first two gears on the stock gearing are useless at full throttle or short shift. I am up two teeth (equivalent to about 5 teeth down in the rear) in the front and this thing still wheelies like mad in first and some of second. 60mph would be no problem as a cruising speed with this gearing.

And back to back comparisson with my friends similarly modded DRZ....

.... the 510 will smoke the DRZ. :lol:

If you are into numbers, just start researching the power to weight ratios. From what I have found, the DRZ puts out ~38hp and weighs something like 295lbs DRY. The 510 is over 50HP (somewhere between 52- 54) and weighs 282lbs with all the fluids and a full tank of fuel. Do that math and it should answer a lot of your questions.

Hope that helps.

#8 ·
yeah i would like to know also, very frustrating seeing that there is not a single person in the whole world who hasnt thought of taking a 510 down the 1/4. Course it can accomplish that dude, they max out at 180 surely that is enough to get down there. im taking mine for a run in a couple of months time, and im guessin that ill be the first person ever in history to take one to the drags for fks sake... i should get payed by husqvarna lol..... :bannana:

#9 · (Edited)
So far all I can get out of mine (stock 08'510) is 107 tops, my drz400sm is at 94 tops w/ no mods and has 15/41 gearing. Hopefully my top spd will increase this week after the pu kit and tuning!:D The 510 is awsome when it comes to playin around town and back roads around here!

#11 · (Edited)
I think stock top speed was 103mph and after the power-up kit 108mph. The kit does not, IMO, seem to make a big difference with max hp or top speed. It's most noticable power gains are from low to mid rpm, and it cleans up the quirky FI issues. I have not used i-beat, so there may be more power to be tuned in. It is so much better than stock, so I just never went back for the tps or FB adjustments. You can cruise at 60mph no problem and 80mph is easy also. As far as shifting too often, the bike has a close ratio transmission, much more so than a sportbike, and a lower redline as well. You will be shifting more but it's not a problem.

#13 ·
I found this on the SM 610 from a few years ago when the 610's were rated at 52 hp. I'm assuming the SMR 510 is faster.

Specifications
Top speed 115mph
1/4-mile acceleration 13.4 secs
Power 52bhp
Torque 38ftlb
Weight 142kg
Seat height 910mm
Fuel capacity 12 litres
Average fuel consumption 42mpg
Tank range 110 miles
Insurance group 10
Engine size 576cc
Engine specification 4v single, 6 gears
Frame Steel tube cradle
Front suspension adjustment Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension adjustment Preload, rebound, high/low speed compression
Front brakes 320mm disc
Rear brake 220mm disc
Front tyre size 120/70 x 17
Rear tyre size 150/60 x 17

#15 · (Edited)
Posted last night without looking at the time slips... here is the best run for each of us from the same night on 1/8th mile drag strip:
'07 DRZ400SM (with Yosh pipe and rejet):
60': 1.959
330': 5.547
660': 9.058
mph: 71.724

'08 SM510R(with factory power up kit):
60': 2.038
330': 5.462
660': 8.343
mph: 82.163

Like I said, the times for the Husky leave some room for improvement since I am no drag racer, but the final trap speed difference despite a slower launch and larger rider is a good indication of just how much more power the 510 is making. I am positive if we switched bikes the difference would have been even bigger. There is your data for anyone that had doubts ;)

Now I have to strap the forks down, get the dual exhaust on with PCV and practice launch to break into the 7's! :laughings

OK, not really but even though drag racing is not something a Sumo is made for, it was fun to try and just be on something completely different than everyone else at the track. And beating Mitsubishi Evo's and Subi STI's with a "dirt bike" was pretty funny too. Plenty of ego's were bruised when a dirt bike with one wheel drive still beat an all wheel drive car on a short track. :thumbup:

#24 ·
OK, not really but even though drag racing is not something a Sumo is made for, it was fun to try and just be on something completely different than everyone else at the track. And beating Mitsubishi Evo's and Subi STI's with a "dirt bike" was pretty funny too. Plenty of ego's were bruised when a dirt bike with one wheel drive still beat an all wheel drive car on a short track. :thumbup:
Hmmmm,not sure who's side to take here:hmmm:I own a 510 and an Evo with 360 odd hp:)

but one things for sure,I can get to work a lot quicker on the Hoosk than I can in the car:lol:

#16 ·
timing for top speed : way too slow.. hehee
top speed by me, 1st try : 178km/hr
top speed by my annoying firend, 1st try : 179km/hr
top speed by me 2nd try : 179km/hr
top speed by that same annoying friend, 2nd try : 180km/hr

conclusion..? who cares about top speed and timing.. i still shred my annoying friend when i sprint from traffic light to traffic light when he's on his cbr600rr [(09)before his pc and tune] lol

i'm 70.5kg and my friend is about 64ish kgs..

#18 ·
I will be taking my 2009 530rr to a 1/4 mile strip soon so can post those results up

I have taken my old 2003 Husky 570rr that was taken out to a 600cc down the strip and my best time was 12.67 and over the line at 101mph

my other bike, a Service Honda CR500AF went down in 13.02 at 100mph at the line

#19 ·
I have taken my old 2003 Husky 570rr that was taken out to a 600cc down the strip and my best time was 12.67 and over the line at 101mph

my other bike, a Service Honda CR500AF went down in 13.02 at 100mph at the line
Does that include reaction time? I would think the Husky 600 would spank a SM510, and for sure the CR500 would. Actually I would have thought the CR500 would have killed the 600 thumper too, but maybe there that is down to gearing not really being ideal for drag racing?

Actually compared to cars, it is clear these bikes have much better power/weight than power/CdA (aero drag). Any car that can run mid 12's is going way faster than 101mph. Those bikes would have really pissed people off in the 1/8th mile as I bet both would be under 8 sec. That is the best part of taking a Sumo to the strip, just to piss off ricers that spent more on mods than you did on the whole bike and they get beat by a "dirt bike":laughingr

#29 ·
I was thinking about getting a 2005 SMR510 that someone is selling locally but twice a week I would need to drive down the highway for 20 miles. Would it be too much on it if I was wanting to maintain 75mph since most of the traffic is doing that or faster. I would not want to damage it or shorten it's life.

#31 ·
I have a thread on here with an excel sheet showing all speeds for rpms by gear.

But to answer your question, many will claim it does. I will claim it doesn't. I tore my engine down at 6000 miles and it had no wear at all despite lots of sustained buzzing down the slab.

I would put taller gearing on than stock though. I ran with 15/41 gearing when the bike was stock and had a similar commute (about 14mile interstate), and now have a 532cc kit and run 16/41 because it has the grunt to easily pull the taller gearing, and it is even better at 75mph. I like using the SuMo even for the interstate because I am commuting in high congestion urban area and love the ability to see over cars and weave effortlessly through the sea of cages. If you are doing a rural commute on freeway you will probably begin to hate your bike though.

#36 ·
I run my 09 husky 510 at the drag strip a couple months ago here's my best run:
R/T .399
60' 2.004
330' 5.275
1/8 8.108
mph 83.65
1000' 10.706
1/4 12.956
mph 99.37

the hardest part was getting the husky off the line, I was launching in second gear as first is useless. I run my R1 at the strip a few times and can get consistant 1.7sec 60' times. the husky was much harder to get a clean launch.

#37 · (Edited)
Cant quote on a 510, but after racing a DRZ (just a FCR carb and pipe) and then jumping on my 450..
Ill definatley say the 450 eats the DRZ up....The husky revs quicker, makes WAY more top end power and with a Suzuki website published wieght for the DRZ at 320lbs!!! dry, the Husky comes in at around 240lbs - you do the math.

As for top speeds - at my race track the DRZ bested out at 148km/hr (tucked and counting till break marker 1), the 450 topped out at 174km/hr before i had to stop looking at the speedo and focus on breaking. Both had stock gearing.

Dont get me wrong - the DRZ is a great bike! (i owned it for 3 yrs)
Just hop on and go - it putts along and grunts away from traffic easily, all the while youre giggling like a school girl.
A race track is just nots its place, not what it was designed for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.