SuperMoto Junkie banner

SM conversion?? FE650 to 'Tard

13K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  HOLLYWOOD33 
#1 ·
I found a new FE650 and and was wondering what problems I may encounter fitting 17" wheels/caliper/rotor.Is there any difference in the FS vs. FE engines that would make the FE less streetable? Can also get the FS550e so I have a couple options.Kind of want the 650 for the monster torque I hear so much about but don't want a less streetable bike.Anyone know what wheels to order for the 17's onto an FE650? I have heard of clearance issues with doing the conversion.Thanks!

#9 ·
This would be my 3rd conversion into 'tardation.I did a CRF then my KTM.Wheels,brakes,etc.Money never has mattered as bikes are my only hobby and I wouldn't see any problem dropping 3k for wheels/brakes.I can't find any FS's so that is why I am not just buying one.I would much rather buy one already done but I am S.O.L. at this time.Hey 'roostinyfz you have a PM!

#13 ·
mutant said:
The engine is the same on all modells, the difference is gearing, exhaust and jetting.
Yes they are very much the same bikes with the some different front & rear suspension bits.

FRONT Suspension
Both the enduro and supermoto models use the WP PDS 4860 MA but different brake side bottom legs for the enduro axial mount brake caliper versus the supermoto radial mount brake caliper. There's also different triple-clamps with different off-sets, 23mm for Enduros and 17mm for supermoto, or something like that...

REAR Suspension
On the Enduro the rear shock is a WP PDS 5018 MCC versus the Supermoto WP PDS 5018 DCC.

#16 ·
northcountry said:
Picked up a 07 fs550e and going dual with knobs and such. Wanted a fe650 and couldn't find. Maybe we should trade?
Sweet bike. Good pickup.

Your stock FS suspension is probably setup too firm and your big front brake too much for the dirt but don't let that stop you.

Enjoy.

#17 ·
FE suspension upgrade towards more SM orientated?

I was testing some time ago 450SMR on a track day from my friend. That was my first time on a "real" SM (I have now FE650 and earlier 640LC4). The difference was huge! What a great stability and steering on the go- kart track. Of course the power delivery of my 650 Berg is something totally different but the handling of the "small" SMR made a big impact on me. Suspension is really low and stiff!

My feeling is that the suspension (and later on brakes) would need an upgrade on my bike towards this SMR.

What I would like to know is that how to lower this PDS rear suspension on my Berg? Which would be the recommnded heavier springs front/ rear?

#18 ·
If you found a new 08 version...
If you are looking to make it streetable I would go for it.If you want a track bike.......I dont know.For the street you should be able to make it work.It will take some time and money but the fun is getting the bike in hand.
I dont know shit about racing and dont really look to race.If you are making a serious play bike....Do it.
You will have a hard time finding a 06 or newer fs650e unless you are very patient.
Good luck.
I will tell you that it will cost over 500.00 to convert a C to an E as I just did it.Husaberg has had a price increase on parts.

Here are some rims and tires cheap on ebay.Cant beat the price and you will be half done.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KTM-...018QQitemZ280303616529QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

TW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.