What makes the best street-tard; Revised edition - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the best street-tard; Revised edition

Quote Originally Posted by parkinglotracer92 View Post
    I've anyone has any more info to ad, go ahead,
    not really to add but to subtract.

the 625smc does not vibrate too much thats a load of crap coming from street bike guys used to a perfectly balanced engine and superwide seat.

ive ridden a smc with 6 miles on it and mine with 20000 still never felt extreme vibration. seriously i read that many times too but its just way exaggerated.

Advertisement

As for HP, the SXV 550 is pretty amazing - about 70-72 at the crank de-restricted. After riding everything out there, the SXV really takes the award for biggest kick-in-the-pants fun in the twisties. Incredible bike if you can afford it and the oil changes every 10-15 hours.
    Eric G.
    Los Angeles, CA
    2007 KTM 950 SM-R
    08 SXV 550 (sold)
    07 Tuono Factory (sold)

ugh....c'mon no respect for the klx650r.......everyone always mentions the stupid klr pig.....although very uncommon and harder to obtain parts for these bikes are bulletproof and have great streetable torque.....very comparable to an xr650r and in my opinion much better looking and not just because its green

-Adam

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

if I remember correctly, it was a while back Kaw made those; I thought it had overheating issues and it was scrapped fairly quick. I do remember them looking pretty sweet though. If you have pics of a tarded one I'd like to check it out

I dont agree that you gave TMI on the DRZ. Its one of the most popular SSM and CConverted SSSM on many forums. He was quick and to the point without being too wordy. If you think its TMI bc everyone knows that the Zed is a great SM, well, I didnt know that until I looked at buying one. TTHHe info I picked up hare and on other forums led to my decision to get on and I'm very happy with it.

Rock on PLRacer

As for the conversion price depends on what you pay for the bike and what your other setup costs. I bought a leftover and saved about $1100 over the price of an SM. So I put together a set of SM wheels for about $1400. I saved for a year to do it and it worked out.

Some find deals on SM bikes and can pick up dirt wheels for $600-800. THe key is using the same size brakes on both sets to speed the conversion. Its not berfect but it only takes me about 15 min to change out.

ALRIGHT slight change of subject here... not sure how many thousands of times this has been brought up??....

but would a oil cooler help?? it seems like everyone is worried about reliability on the street... so i am picking up a husky 510 and do want to hit the highway at 65mph for 10 miles at a time or so, and get places to ride, but i dont want to worry about loosing a top end..so it seems as if you can keep temps low, and oil temps low (and possibly increase amount of oil capacity) the bikes do GREAT on reliablilty... SO would an oil cooler do all this?????

Quote Originally Posted by browningbuck View Post
    ALRIGHT slight change of subject here... not sure how many thousands of times this has been brought up??....

but would a oil cooler help?? it seems like everyone is worried about reliability on the street... so i am picking up a husky 510 and do want to hit the highway at 65mph for 10 miles at a time or so, and get places to ride, but i dont want to worry about loosing a top end..so it seems as if you can keep temps low, and oil temps low (and possibly increase amount of oil capacity) the bikes do GREAT on reliablilty... SO would an oil cooler do all this?????
    i plan to get one for my KTM 520 to make it more street reliable.
    -06' KTM 560 SMR Street Legal and 91' BMW 325I
    -03' KTM 625 SXC SM (sold)
    -01' KTM 520 EXC (stolen)
    -00' Yamaha XT350
    -93' Honda 300EX

i have looked and looked... and think i am going to have to call up my old work and borrow the CNC machine and make this thing for the Husky 510... being i cant find a kit out on the market

No doubt an oil cooler would have some improvement, but the main concern is RPM. Many of the blown up engines you see are the result of over-revving, as from a missed shift. There is not much need to rev a stock 510 engine past 8k, and if you ride it like that it should be pretty reliable.
    Chuck Vicknair
    1971 Honda CL450
    2000 Yamaha R1
    2001 KTM 520 EXC
    2006 KTM 625 SMC

[
    Husky 610, extremely reliable as a daily commuter. "I recommend buying the 610 if you plan on riding alot on the road. This is my commuting vehicle. I have some nice tight twisty farm roads on the way to work - almost no traffic (25 miles with 3 stop lights total). This is perfect for me, I can't imagine anything better."

[

I'm new to this, so I'm curious why no one is talking about the Husky sm610? Is it in a totally different class? Also, referencing the quote above, what about maintainence? I'm debating between the sm610 and the drz 400 sm.

Quote Originally Posted by hdrews71 View Post
    [
    Husky 610, extremely reliable as a daily commuter. "I recommend buying the 610 if you plan on riding alot on the road. This is my commuting vehicle. I have some nice tight twisty farm roads on the way to work - almost no traffic (25 miles with 3 stop lights total). This is perfect for me, I can't imagine anything better."

[

I'm new to this, so I'm curious why no one is talking about the Husky sm610? Is it in a totally different class? Also, referencing the quote above, what about maintainence? I'm debating between the sm610 and the drz 400 sm.

uhhh dude... that is the sm610 they are talkin about.
    -06' KTM 560 SMR Street Legal and 91' BMW 325I
    -03' KTM 625 SXC SM (sold)
    -01' KTM 520 EXC (stolen)
    -00' Yamaha XT350
    -93' Honda 300EX

??? this is confusing???

.... god i wish i could find my husky 510 it will be sooo fun... i think the closet dealer to me is in Boise ID :(

Where do the slightly bigger (than a 450) KTMs fit into this? I mean Ide assume the 560 is basically the same as 450 just more midrange? and as for daily duties ide figure it be a bit nicer?

All the RFS bikes are pretty much the same as far as maintenance. The 520 and 525 have proven very reliable for a race engine, though. If you really want the KTM, and not an LC4, and go for a 525 EXC. At least then you'll get the 6 speed.
    Chuck Vicknair
    1971 Honda CL450
    2000 Yamaha R1
    2001 KTM 520 EXC
    2006 KTM 625 SMC

Well Im limited by funds and whats for sale clost enough to me...

So far i got a 06' KTM 450SMR locally...a 06' KTM 560SMR about an hour away and a 05' Husaberg FS450 about 5-6 hours away.

all about the same price...but I dont kno which will serve me best.

I am down with the six one zero. Excellent bike.
    -Sm610
    -Yz450
    -Bobcat753
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DRZ SM def dont cruise comfortably @ 90...

ok, what about some of the MX bikes converted over?? I didnt see much of anything to do with that. I want to convert my bikes over, KX450 and YZ426 but wanna know how converted bikes do reliablility wise... Since they are full out race bikes...
    2000 YZ426F -- 05 YZ450 Conversion, 06 Brakes, Hotcams, FMF, Hyabusa Coil, Pro Action, Excel, RAD MFG, Acerbis -- Sumo
    2008 KX450F -- Soon to be sumo...
    2008 KLX110
    http://www.starvingracers.com/racer-harwood

Good thread for new guys like me, and also to share your experiences with your particular model. I can't ride or test most of theese, so it's good to get others opinions. Thanks Parkinglotracer92.

+1 thanks for the write up

So how do you guys rate the new 690 SM/SMC's?

I wrote a long write up on my impressions of the 690SM, and so far am completely smitten with that bike, best street tard I have ridden to date.
    KTM 690SM

thanks for all the time put into this.

Default 625SMC Vibration

I fully agree with the previous post about 625 vibration being acceptable. I have almost 5000 miles in all conditions on my 625SXC converted to SMC. One of the reasons for the difference in vibration compared to the normal 640SMC is that the SXC has no counterbalancer in the motor.

Sure, that gives a bit more vibration, but much of the weight difference between the two bikes is reciprocating mass. When you take reciprocating mass out of bike with lighter rotating engine parts or wheels, for example, EVERYTHING gets better! You have a direct weight loss, but you also have less weight that you have to rotate to get going.

Run a 625SXC based SM against a 640 and the 625 will normally smoke the 640. Check the specs. The 625 is about 40 pounds lighter! In a sub 300 pound bike, that is massive. the SXc stock is listed by KTM at 291. Throw a full Akra on it and you are moving down toward 280. 625cc will move that pretty nicely.

If you want less vibration, get a Gold Wing! Hey, it's a motorcycle!

Quite seriously, I really don't find it to be a problem and that big torque just throws you out of the corners! Check the peak torque and weight on a typical 600cc sportbike and then go hunting! Torque is almost the same and the KTM has almost 100 pounds weight advantage on real world scales. (The Japanese normally quote weights without any liquids and no battery.)

How does the KTM 625 SMC compare to the Husky 510 SMR for a street AND occasional race bike?

690 SMC is SMMMOOOOOTH!
    Glenn
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...99097893RHfRPC

04/05 KTM 525 #71
    08 KTM 690 SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
    How does the KTM 625 SMC compare to the Husky 510 SMR for a street AND occasional race bike?
    I meant the 690 SMC!

I just rode the 690 SMR at a demo day last weekend. I'm ready to sell almost everything I've got to get my hands on one.

I'm looking at either a used 625 SMC or the 690 SMC. Here is the big question: Is the new 690 worth almost twice as much as the used 625? If so that is the way I'll go but I'm not convinced!
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Not sure Dave, but... the new 690 motor is smooooooooooth!
    Glenn
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...99097893RHfRPC

04/05 KTM 525 #71
    08 KTM 690 SMC

check out this addition to the list from another thread - Pitster 250cc sumo:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=72371

I see the Japanese big 4 going with larger engine street-tards for 2010. I mean they all have larger single cylinder performance dirtbike engines/transmissions. Some could easily go with v-twin power, as in the Suzuki SV 650 engine...now that would be interesting. Nah, too heavy on second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNfla View Post
    I see the Japanese big 4 going with larger engine street-tards for 2010. I mean they all have larger single cylinder performance dirtbike engines/transmissions. Some could easily go with v-twin power, as in the Suzuki SV 650 engine...now that would be interesting. Nah, too heavy on second thought.

Where did you hear that?

Default 560

Quote Originally Posted by AzN~BoI_585 View Post
    Well Im limited by funds and whats for sale clost enough to me...

So far i got a 06' KTM 450SMR locally...a 06' KTM 560SMR about an hour away and a 05' Husaberg FS450 about 5-6 hours away.

all about the same price...but I dont kno which will serve me best.

I've got a KTM 560. Fun bike, and if I would spend the money again, I would do the 560 over the 450. the extra power is nice on the street. I actually re-geared mine taller. The stock gearing was really low, good for the track , but on the street you had to shift so close up shifting during a take off. I just put a taller front sprocket on, and helped take care of that, plus I got more than 90 mph on the top end now. This is the second RFS engine I've had on the street, the first being a 450 EXC. The 450 was fun, but the EXC engine is a bit mellow for the street. (still way faster than a DRZ) ha-ha , but the 560 shits and gets. Fats and fun bike, but ,...she does viberate ,..which most big bore one-lung bikes do.

Hi !
    Of course more fun is riding with racing motorcycle, but that is more expensive and need frequently maintenance( in general frequently oil change and frequently valve adjustments ).

I have ~ 20’000KM on my 690sm and no extra maintenance and I also ride on tracks. I have no hour counter on it, but if we assume that middle speed is 100km/h then that is ~200 hours.

200-250 hours normally are very much for racing motors, but of course on street you did not ride at so high RPM etc.

The weight are best argument to ride with racing bike ! ~105-110kg vs ~140-150KG.
    --
    I have Duke 1( that same LC 4 ) and 690SM. There is very big difference and power are not the only one.
    That is that same as compare Honda Dominator with LC 4…
    If you have enough money then better buy new LC4 (690), not the previous models. But better do test ride with both models !
    If you have even more money – buy SMR !

This is a awesome right up. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm plaining on buying a WR and building a motard for the street but everyone I talk to is telling me not to. I'm kind of confused on what to do. I really like building bikes since I can't keep anything stock. The only other option would be to buy a KTM. What is your input on this. Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue04Oval View Post
    This is a awesome right up. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm plaining on buying a WR and building a motard for the street but everyone I talk to is telling me not to. I'm kind of confused on what to do. I really like building bikes since I can't keep anything stock. The only other option would be to buy a KTM. What is your input on this. Thanks for all the info.
    IMO buy one you can take straight down to the DMV and get plated. Cause the months and $$ it's will take to build one you may be kicking yourself and wondering how it would be to be out riding today.
    Then once you do get it built you have to get it inspected and reg..etc. Then it will be winter. lol

Just makes more sense to me to buy one that already made for the streets.

Marc
    Dying for me was the most He could do,
    living for Him is the least I can do.

Default Love the Wr on the streets!!!!

Got out this week for the first time on the streets with the new bike ... the thing kicks ass on these Baltimore streets ! I was scraping tag & rockn blocks like nothing ! way more fun then my f4i stunt bike or any of my other 10 stuntbikes iv owned .. + splitting lanes or jumping curbs is just dreamy ! bike is so flickable lol
    "Back on the Block"
    www.BmoreX.com

These are duel purpose bikes, so why isn't there anything about offroad in that comparo?
    Im lookin to buy a sumo soon an i plan on using its ability offroad, aswell as the twisties.
    I was dead set on the hypermoto till i found out its a street bike that looks like a sumo

Default bset street-tard

It all depends on what is ment by best? best as in cheapest or best as in funnest? I have a KTM 950 supermoto and a KTM 525 and i enjoy the 950 the most. It could be because of the insane power! It also eats up the highways like no other bike in the world IMO.

Great thread!!! Very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by parkinglotracer92 View Post
    TRACK:
    Aprillia SXV, a ton of fun, but an easy way to get you a bunch of tickets and maybe thrown in jail....and a fast way to the poor house in repair and maintenance. The Aprilia SXV's are sweet bikes but maintenance and funding intensive..
    Is this considered pre-08' and if not can someone please explain? Cause I was just at the Aprilia dealer looking at the 450 SXV and after first serv. the valve adj. are every 6,000 miles. Also heard 08'+ are basically problem free.
    Can changing the oil and tranny fluid be that bad? Also I don't know the price for the valve adj. but supposed to today.

Thanks,
    Marc
    Dying for me was the most He could do,
    living for Him is the least I can do.

I'm interested as to where the WR250X fits on that list. Obviously out of the box it lacks power, but uncorked is it still lowest on the totem pole?
    No bike, just a 1990 Ranger...with a turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by RRW View Post
    in 1971 I rode my Harley(51 Panhead) on the local golf course.I cant say why, but 1 week later I was in the Army

Klx 650
    Heaven won't have me... Hell is afraid I'll take over...

Quote Originally Posted by MROCK View Post
    Is this considered pre-08' and if not can someone please explain? Cause I was just at the Aprilia dealer looking at the 450 SXV and after first serv. the valve adj. are every 6,000 miles. Also heard 08'+ are basically problem free.
    Can changing the oil and tranny fluid be that bad? Also I don't know the price for the valve adj. but supposed to today.

Thanks,
    Marc
    ummm, hey....ya know what?

X2!!!!

Need to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehall View Post
    Your wife is going to kick your ass for ruining her brownie pan!
    Sweet bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mmulisha1022 View Post
    WIFE!?? Dude screw that noise. I am 22, not for another 4 years or so.
    Haha thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehall View Post
    Your MOM is going to kick your ass for ruining her brownie pan.

im new to the whole sm thing and loving it i have been riding dirtbikes since 7 and now places are getting harder to ride and less of them so i am picking up sm as my new hobby.
    Ive read all that you did on doing which bike was what and i am for sure thinking the DRZsm 400 or the WR250. only thing i was wanting to know i am a experianced rider and all not a pro or anything , Being almost 6' tall and 210 lbs which one would you think ? i am leaning for the drz because more hp so ?

Thanks again for all info on here !
    Supermoto FTW

Quote Originally Posted by svaby View Post
    im new to the whole sm thing and loving it i have been riding dirtbikes since 7 and now places are getting harder to ride and less of them so i am picking up sm as my new hobby.
    Ive read all that you did on doing which bike was what and i am for sure thinking the DRZsm 400 or the WR250. only thing i was wanting to know i am a experianced rider and all not a pro or anything , Being almost 6' tall and 210 lbs which one would you think ? i am leaning for the drz because more hp so ?

Thanks again for all info on here !
    I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and don't have a sm yet but right now I'd get the wrx over the drz if I were to get one of the two. Personally I'm looking for a wr426/450 or maybe something a little bigger but I'm still considering the wrx.

how many horsepower do the husky 610's have? and how much do those wiegh? also does anyone know the power weight specs on the ktm 530 exc's compared to their 450exc ?

someone had mentioned that they would like some info on the x-moto, i recently bought one ( because of the crazy sell on them ) and i have to say that it is one best all around sumo bikes that i have ever had. It is no rocket but has good power ( mine dyno'd at 56 ) it is very low maintainance compared to most of sumo's out there, it is alittle heavy but, feels alot more planted ( to me) than alot of the 450/510 etc sumos that i have ridden. it has some of cool features such as selectable abs which is a great option for someone who does alot of street riding imo, fuel-injection,etc. it is not the lightest or the fastest but is a great low maitainance that allways puts a smile on my face everytime i ride it.

Great info guys! Thanks a bunch to Parkinglotracer for the condensed list. I’m new to supermoto so I found the list particularly useful as in a few months will be buying my 2nd bike in 31years! I’m looking more and more at the DRZ400SM. More than likely going for a used one. So is there anything in particular I should look out for so to avoid getting junk?
    Thanks
    TTHUFF

So when we speak of mild maintenance required for the husky 510 what are you refering to. I went from 12 years of dirt bikes to 5 years of street bikes. so what is mild in terms of motard maint.

Advertisement
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast