What makes the best street-tard; Revised edition - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes the best street-tard; Revised edition

Great thread man! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by npoole View Post
    So when we speak of mild maintenance required for the husky 510 what are you refering to. I went from 12 years of dirt bikes to 5 years of street bikes. so what is mild in terms of motard maint.

I'd like to know as well...

The closest thing I'm seeing to "Balls to the Wall" and "Reliability" is the SM610. However, I'm looking at the 450/510 too. Pretty much Huskies are on my sight.

Quote Originally Posted by npoole View Post
    So when we speak of mild maintenance required for the husky 510 what are you refering to. I went from 12 years of dirt bikes to 5 years of street bikes. so what is mild in terms of motard maint.
    Quote Originally Posted by exit90a View Post
    08' Husqvarna SM510R
    Oil = 500 miles
    Valves = 1000 miles
    and the 450 is just a de-stroked 510...

Quote Originally Posted by performula View Post
    I'd like to know as well...

The closest thing I'm seeing to "Balls to the Wall" and "Reliability" is the SM610. However, I'm looking at the 450/510 too. Pretty much Huskies are on my sight.

Quote Originally Posted by lammyracer View Post
    Husky Sm610
    Oil 1,500 miles
    Valve check 3,000 (usually not much change though...)
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehall View Post
    Your wife is going to kick your ass for ruining her brownie pan!
    Sweet bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mmulisha1022 View Post
    WIFE!?? Dude screw that noise. I am 22, not for another 4 years or so.
    Haha thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehall View Post
    Your MOM is going to kick your ass for ruining her brownie pan.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

I'm fairly new to supermoto,but i have to tell you the SM 690 spy vs spy is such a fun bike to ride! not sure if you consider this a real moto bike,but this is one of the easiest bike i've ever ridden,the power is there and i can take it on longer rides.Now if i can just find an after market seat.:-)
    09 SMC 690
    04 Ducati Monster s4r

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Hooker View Post
    thanks for the response, I never thought there was room for a passenger with that small seat. I am leaning toward to the XRR as I will not be racing although I might go and play on some tracks. I would like the capability of a passenger even though it's not ideal- but you know how girls are; they see a cool bike and want a ride. I have a line on a clean '04 XRR with the HRC kit installed but still has the 21/18 wheels and stock plastic. I would want to install moto wheels/rubber and swap in inverted forks. Does anyone recommend a set of forks over another and reasons why. I see CRF common on the XRR tards- is that the best/ easiest route to go? What about shock upgrades/ replacements. Thanks all!
    revalving the shim stack is easy enough there are a few threads on how to do it also. much cheaper than a new front end

Quote Originally Posted by gud2go View Post
    I'm fairly new to supermoto,but i have to tell you the SM 690 spy vs spy is such a fun bike to ride! not sure if you consider this a real moto bike,but this is one of the easiest bike i've ever ridden,the power is there and i can take it on longer rides.Now if i can just find an after market seat.:-)
    The KTM690 is an awesome street tard, and much faster than most give it credit for. I've ridden my buddies both on the street and on the track (not SM track but the big track at Miller Motorsports Park) and I've always come away thinking positive things.
    Current rides: 13 BMW G650 Sertao - 09 BMW G450X - 07 Honda CRF100F Motarded

Quote Originally Posted by jeffthedccguy View Post
    The KTM690 is an awesome street tard, and much faster than most give it credit for. I've ridden my buddies both on the street and on the track (not SM track but the big track at Miller Motorsports Park) and I've always come away thinking positive things.
    Glad somebody agreed thanks!!!
    09 SMC 690
    04 Ducati Monster s4r

Items for Sale

I ride a 06' CRF450X in the dirt and a a 08' SM 610 on the street. The CRF feels a little faster but you need to keep the revs up. The SM feels almost as fast, but it's got a lot more low end grunt that is really nice on the street. I like both bikes, but I wanted a bike for the street that was major fun but not major maintenance. The Husky SM 610 was the right choice for me.

'08 SM610ie
    '06 CRF450X
    '04 R1150RT
    '89 FXST
    Screw it - Let's Ride!

question: would it be easier to make more functional power with a drz400sm or an xr650l conversion? xr has displacement, but the drz seems to be a little more sophisticated, and is probably lighter, and meant for the street... my only experience is that my friends suzuki ltz400 (same motor as a drz i think) put my honda 400ex (same old honda air cooled rfvc) to absolute shame. apples to oranges? opinions?

Ok what's the deal with crf 450r? How come nobody is talking about them? I'm new to this but I'm contemplating building a street legal version and do not plan on any track days. Just fun on the way to work and such. I see alot of people talk more about the bigger bikes but for some reason I want a 450 but don't want a dog for the street. Would I want more than it will be able to do? Such as better acceleration and top speed? Also what's the deal with maintence? I've owned A cr 125, crf 250 and a trx 450r and always thought they were bulletproof.

Unless I am mistaken the CRF 450 (R or X) is not street legal from the factory, in the US . Making a non-street bike "legal" can be a gamble depending upon your jurisdiction. For less money and grief you can go orange, though a bit heavier. I faced an identical dilemma. [ Honda of America, wake up! The Italians have what we want. http://www.hmmoto.it/ita/scheda.asp?idFam=3&idProd=148 ]
    Nunquam cum asino ambige.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2006 610sm
    past tense: '00 Super Sherpa;'86;CB700SC; '84 FT500; '82 MB5; '78 SR500; '72 CB500; '67 S90

That is awesome!! I know it seems pretty hard to be able to do but I'm a Honda guy and like to be different. Plus like I said that is awesome. I guess it would be much easier to just go ktm or husky. Thanks

How bout the BMW G450X? I;m looking at one of those for a dirt and SM duty. There's also a Huski SM610 around as well but it won't be able to be taken off road
    2007 Chev Silverado Z71 toy hualer
    2004 Kawasaki ZX6R ARL #17
    2002 CRF 450R SM ARL #17

The 610 husky is a great street ride,more stable over 100 than the 510 husky.
    I had a 06 610 husky. Sold bought a 08 CBR1000RR, SOLD the CBR , Now have a 09 HUSKY 510. Fuel tank on husky is small 1.8 gals, res light doesnt work,ran out of gas on a ride.

I wish I would have seen this thread before I bought my new bike, it would have made the decision even easier.. Good write up, a lot to read but a lot of good info. I just picked up a new in the crate 08 Husqvarna 610sm and I couldn't be more excited..

No mention of the Yamaha XT660X or the Honda FMX650?
    They are street-tards.

Last edited by Premises187; 06-07-2010 at 04:38 PM.
    Premises187
    DRZ400sm 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Premises187 View Post
    Partly because they are not imported to the States.
    From the Italian Honda site I have seen at least 3 good 'tards that are not brought to the US.
    We are a serious market, and the manufacturers should not leave us out.
    2006 610sm
    past tense: '00 Super Sherpa;'86;CB700SC; '84 FT500; '82 MB5; '78 SR500; '72 CB500; '67 S90

What category would the wr250x fall into?

Quote Originally Posted by smMike2288 View Post
    What category would the wr250x fall into?
    It is a very good bike, no problems with it at all.
    I would like to see more options. Now it is 250s the DRZ, racing engined 450/510s and heavier 610/690s. Both Honda & Yamaha have good 450 off road machines that if they were street legal and had 17s would really add to the possibilities. I want a broader powerband than the 250s offer.
    2006 610sm

very good read, this has changed my mind now, was after a 450 crf but now gunna go 4 a wr450.

Quote Originally Posted by gud2go View Post
    Truth... The hard parts gel seat is a little better. Still kinda hard though. But as you mentioned a great bike with something that other motard types dont do well. Longer rides...
    :STOLEN: 2007 KTM 690 SM/ Tidy Tail/ Rim Strips/ Single APA mirror/ DNA filter/ Wings Slipons/ Carbon Fiber tail section, front fender, and rear hugger/ Pazzio replica levers/ Black tail light with integral turn signals/MOTY battery/KTM gel seat. Bought the day Evel Knievel died. RIP

Whats up no love for the Ducati Hypermotard????

^ sorry Id say thats more street bike then tard but i would still love one. I would like an older klx250 2t with a set of marchesini rims wrapped in dunlop rubber.
    theres nothing like a 2T
    Looking for a cheap large cc Dual sport that's plated (alot harder than it sounds in KY)

Default Ktm690

I love my KTM690 Supermoto. It is a sweet street bike if you can only have one. I live WNC so nothing beats a street tart around here. My Friend has a 625 SMC with pipes, gearing and a jet kit. The 625 is a little more aggressive and feels faster, but the 690 is much nicer to ride day in and day out. It is hard to beat the features of a counterbalanced engine, fuel injection, big radial brake, and a slipper clutch from the factory.

The 625 made my a$$ hurt for three days after flogging it for an hour. Nothing Vibrates like those things. I was so glad I just went for the 690SM when I couldn't find a 625 SMC or DRZ400SM in good shape.

The only bikes that could tempt me from mine would be the 990 version, R model, KTM dual sport, or Hypermotard.
    Last edited by Gription; 07-27-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: For got some stuff

I'm seeing all sorts of info for people that spend their time on the road and a bit on the track. How about some sort of assessment for those of us that spend our time on the road and on the dirt? I've been having a hard time deciding where to go next from my green Z.

Because I put on so many long, twisty miles on the stree, I'd like something that isn't too labor intensive. However I'm also on the dirt at least 30 percent of the time. Everything from a couple big desert rides a year, to local singletrack.

So what bike best suits the guy that goes back and forth between wheel sets on a regular basis. Something between a DRZ400 and a 625/690 SMC....

Thanks
    '09 Husaberg FE 570, SM and MX wheel set ups.

Plated XR650R, 'nuff said.

MZ baghira for me may be a bit on the heavy side but sure make a reliable street tarder, 18,000 miles on mine, and not put a spanner to it, only regular oil changes...

Al...

what makes the best Tard? My focus is riding. Mile after mile. the KTMs and the Husabergs and all the rest are fine machines, and at one point or another i have talked with people that own them, or riden one generation or another of them. My Money right now, on a 2010 or 2011 bike would be on the Duke. I don't know why, but that bike just yells ride the snot out of me. Miles, give me miles! But when i said money? I meant it. 10 to 15K for the dukes, and i will still be spending some serious cash for the gear for my riding style. Tell you what, go to E-bay, Craig's list, or the newspaper and look up a good, two or three year old XR650L, low miles in most casses, and in reasonable shape. bring it home, grop your 2K on a SM kit, (wheels and plastic.) dump about 1K in a compleet exaust system, (block off kit, header, slip on, jeting, filter and box mods) maybe four or five hundred in farkles that you don't realy need and then tweek the ergonomics of the bike to your likeing. You get 3K oil changes, valve re-sets at 6K+, (i tweek mine only when i hear them tick.) and when you drop it, and you will drop it if you ride it hard enough, it is an easy think to find the parts you need.

My two pennies worth.
    2000 XR650L Just slightly tweeked.
    2001 SS900ei Isabella, My Italian Mystress.

Youth and exuberance is no match for age and trechery.
    "Somtimes I feel like the world is a dog and I am wearing milkbone underwear..."

The Duke isn't a tard. Not enough suspension on it.

Why buy an older XR650L when you can buy a DRZ400SM (or convert your own E model) for a fraction of the price, drop a bore kit in it, and have a more powerful, lighter bike?

I've ridden the 690SMC and it's a fantastic bike, although it doesn't want to work right unless you're wringing it's neck, and the police seem to take a bit too much notice when I do that.

I have a green converted DRZ. Great bike!!!! Not enough power or top end for my riding style, and a bit heavy. I've been struggling with what will be next.....

I think my research has landed me in the '09 Berg 570. NOT cheap, but I think it will fit the bill. Now I just have to find a used one that wont put me in the poor house!
    '09 Husaberg FE 570, SM and MX wheel set ups.

Default I happen to agree...

I happen to agree with you on the whole DRZ having more power and being lighter. For some, that is the only concern, being fast. My bike is heavy, agreed, makes not quite the power, agreed. but i got 54K out of the FIRST top end, and I think the ring I stuck was due to a ill fiting airfilter after cleaning... (read that, I killed it.). durability? 1 for the Honda. This thing is a mule, and I use it as such. I can carry my big tank and pull 5+ gallons and go nearly 150 miles before shuting down, carrying my camp chair, a six pack cooler, a small tackle kit, my fishing poles, an I-pod with a small speaker set. I also carry my brief case to and from work and the motor is smoooth enough not to shake the harddrive silly in my lap top.

I won't tell you that this thing is a better Sumo, the DRZ and several others are much better in a lot of ways. I say this is a truck and a great way to break into the fun of this style of riding, and you get a bike that is a little more real world friendly and new rider forgiving and still have the big CC to chase down the smaller bikes if you feel a bit frogy. Besides, I just don't care for Stupidzuki.....

"Somtimes I feel like the world is a dog and I am wearing milkbone underwear..."

pretty sound advice you can't really go wrong with either. i opted for the xrl as my first bike, i just had my valves adjusted after adding 10k mi to the 2400 it came with....good to go for another 10k! de-restricting it and adding a xrr carb from ebay really woke her up. my roomie has a drz with a big bore, fcr, etc, etc. it's fast but the geometry is a little too small for long hauls if you're over 6' & 200lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vissmeister View Post
    Yeah man, I'm with you on blaming the Germans, I'm from Holland though so we blame them for everything, they're our Canadians...
    Quote Originally Posted by pregrid View Post
    Any man (or woman for that matter) making $10.00 an hour can't afford a candle, scented or otherwise!
    Quote Originally Posted by PackFM View Post
    Ya no shit. I wonder when they will release the 'Skippin Child Support' scent.

Default 03 KTM 450 exc

I i'm new to the sight and the supermoto world. I can't ever find much about the ktm 450 exc. I decided to sell my FZ1 and my family says i have to keep some sort of motorcycle to ride with them. I found an 03 exc street legal for 1500. My main question is if I convert it to supermoto will it be able to handle alot of highway use? I plan on using it for mostly street that includes riding 70 miles one way to a buddys house on the weekends and swapping back to dirt when my friends want to go ride. I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone by having a supermoto to convert back and forth. I'm willing to change the oil every 700 miles or so and check the valves every 3k. I just don't want to have to mess with rebuilding a motor. I thought about a drz400sm but they are way more expensive and i'm cheap. lol

Quote Originally Posted by zeusthegoose View Post
    pretty sound advice you can't really go wrong with either. i opted for the xrl as my first bike, i just had my valves adjusted after adding 10k mi to the 2400 it came with....good to go for another 10k! de-restricting it and adding a xrr carb from ebay really woke her up. my roomie has a drz with a big bore, fcr, etc, etc. it's fast but the geometry is a little too small for long hauls if you're over 6' & 200lbs.
    I comend you for the XRL.. now, quit spending money on it!!! I am of the old adage to spend a little more on oil changes... (2500-3500 miles) and less on adjustments and look see work. If it ain't broke don't fix it! listen to the motor, if it is ticking at idle, it might not need adjustment. If I hear motor noise at higher motor speeds, give or take the RPM I would be running at highway speeds, then I will adjust. Not before. You bought a great machine, enjoy, and look for deals on parts. A $4.00 oil filter off the Wics filter rack is the same one you can buy from honda. It is just a differant color.

Default 1999 wr400

im goin to look at a 1999 wr400 this weekend and i was wondering if anyone has any opions on this bike.. it has dirt tires on it now.is it worth it to switch over the rims and tires? thnks...

Quote Originally Posted by Premises187 View Post
    They are street-tards.

Probably because the are both dead as door nails...sorry if you have one or both but just my opinion

No contest IMO,KTM 690 smc wins hands down as it mixes great looks with performance and maintenance shedules
    2009 KTM 690 SMC
    2010 KTM RC8R Akrapovic limited edition #88

read thru all pages, and may have missed it but roughly what are these bikes getting mpg? I know excessive twisting of right wrist will decrease mpg, but just looking for average mpg. im looking heavily at ktm 690smc any info will be great thanks all

In my humble opinion MPG is not really a big factor determining how good of a street tard any given bike is.

My 2006 Husqvarna 610SM is getting 30 mpg as a commuter. My daily grind is 7.5 miles one way with 22 stop signs, 18 lights and max speed limit is 35. Half the trip is residential and the other half rather dense inner suburban traffic.
    I don't really have anything to go on but I suspect the 690 would be close to the 610 in fuel economy.

btw the same commute on a Stupid Sherpa [low power 250 enduro] got me 53-57 mpg. My guess is that a WRX with its FI would do a lot better: mpg than the 610 and rideability of the Sherpa.
    2006 610sm

reason for question is cant find it with search button, operator error no doubt I drive 70 miles one way to work 28 miles freeway 42 miles twisty back roads and I have spent most my life on dirt bikes thanks for answering a new to supermoto rider. (waiting for tax refund and info before purchase) will be looking at ktm 690smc this friday

Quote Originally Posted by phennliegh View Post
    In my humble opinion MPG is not really a big factor determining how good of a street tard any given bike is.

My 2006 Husqvarna 610SM is getting 30 mpg as a commuter. My daily grind is 7.5 miles one way with 22 stop signs, 18 lights and max speed limit is 35. Half the trip is residential and the other half rather dense inner suburban traffic.
    I don't really have anything to go on but I suspect the 690 would be close to the 610 in fuel economy.

btw the same commute on a Stupid Sherpa [low power 250 enduro] got me 53-57 mpg. My guess is that a WRX with its FI would do a lot better: mpg than the 610 and rideability of the Sherpa.
    Phennleigh, that mpg seems low. I used to commute to work (3 miles one way). 6-8 stop signs/lights. I consistently got 40-50mpg. I have a 2008 610SM.
    2008 Husqvarna SM610

thanks everyone for the info in this siteoperator error fixed and found general info on mpg and all supermotos are getting at least 45 mpg on average some more some less depending on state of mods and rider

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    Phennleigh, that mpg seems low. I used to commute to work (3 miles one way). 6-8 stop signs/lights. I consistently got 40-50mpg. I have a 2008 610SM.
    That is what I have been thinking. I think it should be around 40-45.
    Eventually I will check into the jetting, but it runs fine, I can't knock success.
    2006 610sm

after moving from costa rica to colombia i bought a ktm 640 after owning a ktm 560 smr the 640 felt like driving a tractor trailer compared to my 560...i sold that pig a week later and ordered a 2011 berg fs 570....i love the berg...it is a little soft in the upper rpms but man does it handle like a 250 with big bore tq....im gona make a few mods to help in the upper rpm range and should be really happy with it...it is even more nimble than even my 560 smr...

Items for Sale

Default 2004 KTM 250 EXC 4 Stroke for street Tard ???

I have been riding sport bikes since I was 16. I currently ride a 2008 100rr. When I was in cali during my Marine days I ran into some super motos at the track and fell in love. I now live in Wisconsin and no long need all the power of a liter sport. A local dealer wants to trade my bike for cash and a dirt bike for me to convert into a street tard. I have 3 options 2007 honda crf250r ($4495), exc 250 racing 4 stroke ($2990), or a yzf450F ($3199). I plan to be able to due 60MPH highway on occasion and a ton of city riding. My budget is unlimited but i want to make the right choice please guide me.

Street legal issues would be my first consideration.
    If it were to be my only bike I would likely choose the Yami.
    On the other hand the KTM will be light as a feather.
    Sounds like fun!
    good luck
    2006 610sm

find a used berg 650...and hang on biotch

Items for Sale

Default super moto 2004 KTM 250 exc

Has anyone found the top speed that can be reached on the 2004 ktm 250 exc once it is converted to a super moto. I realy want the KTM but only if it can zip around atleat 65 mph.

250 four stroke is not enough motor to really get it done. in the dirt its fine but on pavement you need more displacement. you should be able to find a used sumo for reasonable money, look at ktm 525's or 560 smr, or a jap 450 sumo...they are ready to go, you can spend a bundle on wheels tires and brakes converting a dirt bike to sumo

Items for Sale

Default Street Tard

So I went to the dealership and tested out some dirt bikes to test their top speeds. The 2004 KTM 250exc tops out at 65mph and the Yamaha yz450f only hit about 50 mph so I will be doing the 250 exc 4 stroke. It should be noted that the 250exc had a 6 speed and the yamaha only had a 4 speed. So I have made my decision and I am ready to say good bye to the 2008 1000rr. I should also mention that I way 225 lbs haha.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey67 View Post
    So I went to the dealership and tested out some dirt bikes to test their top speeds. The 2004 KTM 250exc tops out at 65mph and the Yamaha yz450f only hit about 50 mph so I will be doing the 250 exc 4 stroke. It should be noted that the 250exc had a 6 speed and the yamaha only had a 4 speed. So I have made my decision and I am ready to say good bye to the 2008 1000rr. I should also mention that I way 225 lbs haha.
    dude you need more bike...you will hate the 250 4t for a tard...it will be gutless with your 25lbs on it...you can't ride it 60 mph for very long you will be revving the piss out of it...it will cost half of what you paid for it to convert it to sumo...just step up and buy a sumo ready to ride...450 is the smallest you should consider with your weight...rm

Advertisement
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast