SuperMoto Junkie banner

610 mod database (relevant posts only)

357K views 779 replies 161 participants last post by  Ald 
#1 ·
Here's a chance for us to list all the modifications to the 610 both major and minor for helping when doing our own wrenching and to make suggestions for better engineering. Let's add pics when possible and please don't hijack this thread with beer consumption, tail chasing, hooligan stories....keep those where they belong in the "Lobby". That way we can keep this simple, use less bandwidth and make referencing a whole lot easier.

#741 ·
Im going the pod filter route. Ordered UNI filter #UP-4245AST. It has a 2.5" ID flange with a 15* angle, and is 4" in lenth and diameter. I also ordered a K&N dry charger part# RB-0900DK, should fit over the UNI filter pretty well.

#742 ·
stupid-assed gas cap key eliminated

Some have already figured it out, most haven't. So here's how to eliminate that stupid-assed second key for the gas cap, and still have everything factory.

Take the gas cap off. Duh. Press down on the inner hub on the end and pop the stainless pin out.

A small screwdriver or knife point works well to get the pin started loose. Once you have it pushed through, by pressing down on the hub you should be able to shake the pin the rest of the way out.

The spring is fairly stiff, so ease the hub up as easily as you can. Stuff shouldn't go flying across the shop, but in case they do, there are only three parts on this side of the cap: The hub, the spring, and the rotating lugs. Take the hub, spring, and lugs off, flip the key cover open and press the tumbler shaft out toward the top of the cap.

You'll see a row of tabs sticking out of the side of the tumbler shaft. Grind them off.

When you put the tumbler shaft back in the cap body, mind the o-ring that is likely to stay in the cap body, and mind the rubber seal around the key entry point.

Reassemble in the reverse order of disassembly. When lining up the hub to replace the pin, mind the position of the key slot relative to the lugs inside the cap. It can be reassembled 90 degrees off and it won't move, so it'll be pretty easy to tell if you did it wrong. If so, no problem, just pull the pin and reposition the tumbler shaft and hub.

Your gas cap will now open and close with the ignition key, a screwdriver, a knife point, whatever you want to stick in the key slot. BUT it will still look like it requires a key.

Happy frakkin' Christmas.

#744 ·
2006-2009 610 front wheel side offset?

Guys I am building a new bike starting from an MY 2000 frame and parts from an MY2007. Please tell me if you have an side offset for the front wheel (it is the same distance both sides between fork legs and tire?). Something is not fitting well on my front end even though all the parts involved came from the same motorcycle. I shorten the spacer to put the tire in the middle of fork legs and I have too much pressure on disk brake so the wheel is turning pretty hard.

#746 ·
Guys I am building a new bike starting from an MY 2000 frame and parts from an MY2007. Please tell me if you have an side offset for the front wheel (it is the same distance both sides between fork legs and tire?). Something is not fitting well on my front end even though all the parts involved came from the same motorcycle. I shorten the spacer to put the tire in the middle of fork legs and I have too much pressure on disk brake so the wheel is turning pretty hard.
I hope is not too difficult to check the distance between the tire and the fork legs. If the question is about rear tire I understand but is about front wheel and I was hoping help me find an proper setup.
Thank you.

#745 ·
Husky 610 aluminum fuel cap production

Hello SMJ! im in the process of making a bunch of fuel caps for the 2006-2009 SM/TE610. my goal was to hit a few targets. first there has been more than a few members to complain of the leaky keyed stocker. second was to clean up the front of the fuel tank. get rid of the overflow/vent hoses. my opinion is that it just looks like an after thought. im a machinist and i enjoy making stuff for my bikes! it was a no-brainer for me to make a few for my bikes. im a member of cafehusky and ive generated some interest there. i wanted to pass this on to my fellow motoheads. please look at the thread on the cafe and message me for any info or if you have interest. http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/610-aftermarket-gas-cap.28848/
thanks for looking!
brj610@gmail.com

#751 ·
Hey.. I can not get any opnion about price as I'm locates outside of US. The Bike is simply awesome, top speed is not the strongest part of it.. around 170km/h.. not a very good experience, but if you are a street fighter, likes a Strong acceleration, hard braking, make nice corners and some wheelings.. This is the bike!!
Regarding Maintenance: Yeap, valves setting at almost every oil change and general screws re-tighting all around.. Fuids replacement and go for a special clutch cable with metal curve on the motor.

Check for oil burn on exhaust, crash marks, final transmission, and if you want to go deep.. just remove the Camchain tensioner (2 bolts behind the cylinder) if it is wide opened, cam chain MUST be changed before you destroy the engine.

This is what I could think for now...

I hope it helps and that you became very happy with the Bike !!! :rock:

This Picture was me last weekend after a cylinder head burned (but this one is a FULL MOD SM610) !!

Attachments

#757 ·
I just changed my oil for the first time and was wondering what the intervals are so I can set my dummy light. I'm right at 2000 miles so is 1000 miles between right or is that too soon? Also probly going to check the timing chain soon since that seems to be a issue with most. Anyone got pics of the process and what is good/bad?

#758 ·
#759 ·
Thanks... Today my bike was on a slight slope (wasn't enough I thought I should be worried) I cranked it while I put my helmet on and it decided to roll off the kickstand :banghead: needless to say I was not happy. Not too much damage. Scratched slider and handguard, but it did put a small dent in the side of the stator cover. Where can I get another stator cover, and how (other than don't drop it) can I prevent future dents/punctures of the cover?

#760 ·
I'm trying to put my passenger pegs back on but on the left side I can't tell if the bolt is supposed to just sit on the edge or down in the hole. If anyone knows please let me know. Also it didn't come with the helmet lock so if anyone has one they want to get rid of please let me know.

#767 ·
Yes it mounts through the lower subframe. That 55mm bolt was installed at the factory by magicians, once I took it out it wouldn't ever catch threads to tighten up again. Go with a longer bolt and go ahead and put a nut on the backside of it too to keep it from backing out.

#768 ·
Take care with the exhaust if it is not the original one, it sometimes "forces" the pad support out.
I good way is install a longer bolt just to make sure the thread is ok, if yes, ask a friend or wife to help push all parts togheter till you can reach the first treads with the standard bolt. I replaced mine for a allen head bolt and instal it with a " T " tool.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.