SuperMoto Junkie banner

Axles and axle sliders

8K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  GauSaleen 
#1 ·
I want to do the skateboard wheel axle sliders but mine has a funky front and rear axle. The front isnt hollow on the one side so was gonna drill it out but kinda leary of that. Do the later years 04+ have a hollow axle all the way thru? Also the rear has some kind of rod thru the one side that I can just cut off and reweld it differently but did they change that in later years also?

#3 ·
Here is a fix for the front, ( http://www.mainjet.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=55 ) the rear I am gonna cut off the weld and cut down the rod so its just thru the top part and weld it there. Havent seen a fix otherwise for the rear. I had thought the Previous Owner welded it in there like that.

Have ya had any problems with oil leaking on the side opposite of the 2 outer bolts? Have you done any teardowns? Wondering if I can get to the headbolts without removing the cams etc just to retorque them.

#4 ·
I bought it used and it had a topend job already done. The only problem I've had is it would start and then die. I found out that the fuel injection thing fell out of the rubber boot that connects it to the engine so it was pulling WAY to much air and with the fuel injection computer, if it pulls that much air it wont run rough it kills the motor.

#6 ·
Yeah I looked at that and they want me to remove the cams but then again its a teardown procedure. I will have to get it apart and see. I guess I can check the valves now while I am at it.

I only have the starting problem but I can lick that in a bit after listening to the engine to see when its abot to start and let go of the starter. I also have a kind of miss if I am idling and give it a quick rev it wants to die at initial throttle but is fine if you keep giving it gas so I might check out the boots and stuff to see..

#7 ·
Hey Tallboy I got the rear done yesterday, had a friend at work cut off the weld on that rod and took it out, cut it down and rewelded it so it didnt go thru the axle like before. Then used some threaded rod and a $8 skateboard from walmart for the sliders and its all done! I havent put it back on the bike but it looks good other than I might cut down the rod a lil more and find some lower profile locknuts.

#13 ·
Alright small update on the front axle slider I got finished with it yesterday. I used M10x1.5 Threaded Rod and some axle sliders that I had to drill out the center on so I could get a 17mm socket in there to tighten down the lock nuts. In order to make this work you have to cut the threads on the inside of the axle all the way until the tap bottoms out (you will be able to tell when your done but I did it until the tap bottomed out). So you have to add another 2" or so of thread so you can run the threaded rod all the way thru. It might have been a fluke with the rod I got but I also had to use a die on it and chase the threads in order for it to fit in the axle as they were a hair bigger than M10 and wouldnt start!

So Some threaded rod M10x1.5 and 2 locknuts and 2 washers and the axle sliders that I drilled out a lil bigger and I have front axle sliders.

I am thinking on the hex side to find a couple nuts that are 18-19mm (I forget the hex size) and put them in there so the rod is more stable on the side. Just have to find some M10 nuts with that big an outer diameter.

#14 ·
I do have a question about the front axle, when you tighten everything down with the bolt on the brake side and it pulls the forks together etc, does the axle pull flush to the outer edge of the fork or just tighten it down to the torque specs?

#16 ·
Well I am talking the axle end where ya put the axle bolt into, when you tighten the bolt down does it pull the axle flush with the backside of the bolt or some gap? I am guessing you have to leave some gap otherwise you have the fork pinch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.