SuperMoto Junkie banner

450SMR Gearing?

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  desmo_speeding 
#1 ·
Feels like I need to try different gearing than the stock setup on my Husky 450.

Those of you that ride such things, what changes have you made, if any? I'd like to open up its speed range and have it be a little more relaxed at the speeds I need to cruise at, to get it to my fave roads. Up a tooth on the front? Down two on the back?

Someone mentioned installing cooling fans too, I'd love to see how you managed that. Not that I think it's needed much on my bike as I don't see much traffic on the weekends, but still, interesting none the less.

Inquiring minds want to know.

#3 ·
speedmerchant said:
I have the same plan. Probably start by taking a couple of teeth off the rear srpocket. The front looks close to max size.
I'm running a 41T on the back with the stock 15t countershaft. I try to avoid the freeway/highway as much as possible. Still kind of buzzy but I have a 39T sprocket and a 16T countershaft somewhere in my garage but for now the 15/41 set up is OK for the local roads I ride. If you haven't done so already, get the jet kit from gpmhusky. Makes a big difference even with the stock exhaust. Changing out the stock restrictive muffler helps even more, especially at higher rpms.

#4 ·
Thanks Huskysm450r. I'll try the 41, they are only sprockets afterall. I'll give Issac (sorry I killed your name mate) a call down there at GP. I've a SIL full exhaust on the little beast since day one, and it's running really strong (although reeeeeeeeeally loud), but I'm never one to turn down improvements...a jet kit you say? Okeee doke, I'll'av it! Did they drop it in for you, or can you give any secrets to the setup? Thanks again for the help.

#5 ·
I ordered the jet kit from Isaac and installed it myself. I've been fooling around with the jetting since I got my bike back in January. Its pretty much dialed in now. Isaac can give you the info since he has the same pipe on his bike. I've tried the Doma full system and now I'm using an FMF Ti4 Slip-on. Both make good power.

#6 ·
what's up folks, So at 15 front and 41 rear . What speeds does it go, on let's say 6th gear 4500 rpm.. 15f and 40r on my sm610s feel comfy on the freeway. Well 20 miles at one time was the most freeway it ever saw.. But reason for asking is I might be getting one of these bad boys soon.. like in a week soon.. hehehe

#7 ·
siam said:
what's up folks, So at 15 front and 41 rear . What speeds does it go, on let's say 6th gear 4500 rpm.. 15f and 40r on my sm610s feel comfy on the freeway. Well 20 miles at one time was the most freeway it ever saw.. But reason for asking is I might be getting one of these bad boys soon.. like in a week soon.. hehehe
Even with the 15/41 setup you'll be turning over 7k rpms on the freeway at around 70+ mph (I have a digital tach). Not comfortable at all. I try to avoid the freeway as much as possible. You could go with a 39T on the rear but would likely loose a little punch in the tight twisties. Its a compromise.

#8 ·
huskysm450r, so whats the jetting set-up that you ended up with. I'll be picking up my 04 Husky SM450R tomorrow mornin' . and as far as the stock muffler action, is there a way to make it more free flow that what it is? WOOOW HOOO ! I finally am getting my SM450r getting dirt wheels to with it.. :)

#9 ·
siam said:
huskysm450r, so whats the jetting set-up that you ended up with. I'll be picking up my 04 Husky SM450R tomorrow mornin' . and as far as the stock muffler action, is there a way to make it more free flow that what it is? WOOOW HOOO ! I finally am getting my SM450r getting dirt wheels to with it.. :)
Congrats! I'm still waiting to hear back from my dealer for the bottom line quote. Apparently the junk list of goodies I gave him to quote me is harder than looking it up in the tucker-rocky or parts unlimited books. :hmmm:

#10 ·
Gearing

I'm running 16/42, and it seems to work really well - it sure doesn't feel overgeared to me. But then again, I've got the Sil Motor exhaust and I don't think it's all that loud, so it's obvious that not everyone shares the same subjective opinions.

As for jetting, I installed the "TC450" kit (comes in a sealed plastic bag) - 175 main jet, don't know the pilot jet or needle #s, and the needle's in the second leanest position (retaining clip in the second from the top needle slot). It seems to run pretty well - starts right up, doesn't surge at all, and seems a bit faster, so I haven't felt the need to change anything.

#11 ·
siam said:
Call Isaac at GP Cycles in San Diego and he will hook you up with the TC450 jet kit. This kit has the 10F01-50 needle which is a richer needle. This allows you to go down on the pilot to a 30. Also, you should zero out the preload on your accelerator pump.

#12 ·
I put the a 40 pilot jet in the bike and 2 turns on the air mixture and WOOOW! just one squeeze of the starter with the choke on for 2 seconds then push it in, the bike idles like a champ. I did get an extra needle jet but have to look at the size. I guess I'll be tinkering with it again on my next day off. :D Okay my next step is to get some tires for the little runner. I have been looking at the new Maxxis street super-moto tires.. but the catch is the rear is a 160/60/17 man! have to check if I have enuff clearance to stuff those tires in there.. :hmmm: but right on I'll call GP cycles in San Diego

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.