SuperMoto Junkie banner

'08 530 EXC-R for the street?

41K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  TMCAEG 
#1 ·
I'm new to the supermoto thing, and I'd like a bike that I can use on the street 80% and 20% in the dirt, so I'm considering the 08 KTM EXC-R 530, and getting the 17" supermoto wheels.

Am I asking for too much for a bike to be good in street and dirt? Would the 530 be a good supermoto? Thoughts appreciated...

Thanks.

#2 ·
Awsome choice, just get 2 sets of brake rotors, and 2 rear sprockets, actually having 2 chains would be a good idea 2, so that you can change the rear sprocket 5-6 teeth easy. If you've got all these goodies you could swap out wheels, and chain and sprockets farly fast, proble 30-45 minites.

The only thing that gives me difficulty when swapping wheels is the relocator on my front brake caliper, im assuming you will have to have a relocator when your putting on a wider front rim.

#7 ·
i am working on exactly the same conversion. I own a 2008 530 EXC-R and had a lot of fun riding it in the desert. I want to use it now as a commuter bike.
I got a set of wheels from an aprilia, i have an extra set of front and back sprokets, brakes and chain. I just bought a bracket for the front caliper to be able to fit a front 320mm brake.
I hope that is all i need as i am gonna do the conversion right after the holidays.
I was just reading on thumpertalk that KTMs need a lot of maintenance if you start using them as commuter bikes, and that you need to check the valve every week or 2. Not sure if anyone can comment on this.

#8 ·
The standard wheels off older KTM supermoto bikes bolt right up to the ex-c, I have done it.

The brakes are the same as the older KTMs or the brakes KTM sells in the hard parts catalog

For street fun you probably only need to run a 310 or 310mm rotor with a caliper bracket. But if you plan on doing track days go with a 4 piston caliper as well

The only problem we had was we had to move the rim over slightly allow for chain/tire clearance - but they may also depend on what tire you end up running

Awesome bike for the street

#10 ·
I change the oil on my 400EXC about every 1000 miles. Valves havent been out of spec yet. Heavily modded motor, (Big bore, 12.8-1 compression, Cam'd, full exhaust)
Traded my GSXR 1000 for it and I have no regrets.

#11 ·
To fix the fork guard problem just buy some 2007 fork guards. As for maintance on my 2008 EXC450 I do the oil every 1000 miles and the oil filter every other change. I check the valves every 15 hours and they have only just gone out of spec since first buying it. Its now at 55 hours. You should remember that, yes, they need checking often but generally its just a check-up. All thats involved is removing the tank (leave the shrouds bolted to tank) and then the valve cover. It takes me less than an hour to check them :)

P.S. if your wondering why I didn't check it at 60 hours as my maintence schedule suggests its because I could actually hear the engine sounded different, so I checked the valves.

#12 ·
What a pain...

Well, i finally found the time to work some more on the conversion.
I took the time to change the back wheel to the SM wheel and that was relatively painless.

I still had a problem with the chain last night... it not being shortened yet. So i decided to move to the front wheels and leave the chain for today.

Well... let me tell you, that sucker was a big pain in the butt!!! the Aprilia wheels that i picked up are a little too wide for my front fork so it was really hard to fit them in.

I tried to fit them in for at least 20 minutes before i decided to ask my girl to come help hold the caliper in place while i was pushing the wheel in.....after 30 seconds the bike fell on her leg and she's in a cast right now!!!!:eek: :headshake

I hope she wont be too upset to see me work on the bike tonight as well :D

I got the chain links out today, and as soon as i'll get home tonight i will start putting everything back together! I hope this is the last of it.

Did anyone put aprilia wheels on a KTM? did you guys have any trouble fitting the front rim in the stock fork?

#13 ·
I have an 08 450 exc-r and had to switch fork leg guards. the 08's were too wide. That and no one can figure out how to reprogram the wheel size in my computer for a 17" wheel. So it always says I'm going faster than I really am. which is kind of annoying.

#30 ·
Seatard - just went through this on my 08 450 excr. You need to remove the front light and unplug the computer from all connections. Once unplugged hold the menu button on the right side of the computer and cycle through the menu until you get to WS - then you can press +/- and adjust as needed. I measured mine (17"s with distanzia's and they were 1845mm). Plugged everything back up and it worked...until my sensor stopped working!! Still working to fix that problem:thumbup:

#15 ·
07 fork guards. One thing I also noticed is some rubbing on the fork protection ring., that black thing at the bottom of your upper fork tubes with the notches in it. I would also find out about the cam recall. It seems to be more of an issue on the 530's than the 450's.

#18 ·
wow!!! looks great! i am sure the dealer is clueless! I'll go get these tomorrow and try to put them on. Right now it is too much of a pain to try and put the front tire in.
Where did you get your graphics from? or where can i get cool graphics for a fair price?

#20 ·
do you have to buy new plastics for the graphics? my dealer said that the 08 have printed stuff on the front side pastics so you have to buy a new set or it'll show through your new set of graphics. true?

#23 ·
seatard there is a way to reprogram it. If i remember correctly i had to remove a 3 pin connecter from the back of for unit then hold the button on the right hand size, this let me change the wheel size. Although remember you want to enter the wheel size with the tyre fitted.

#28 ·
I have done just that and I could not be happier with my choice. I still want to get a 320mm rotor and another rear rotor so I do not have to swap them out when I switch between dirt and sm. So far I have very few miles on the sm setup but I dig it. I am running 14x46 for gearing and it fells just like the 14x50 on the dirt setup. I may do 15x46 for highway trips.

Graphics will go right over the stock graphics, no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.