SuperMoto Junkie banner

WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison

454K views 432 replies 195 participants last post by  Metal Supermang 
#1 ·
Ok, now that I am out of the hospital I am going to do my comparion of the two bikes that I own/owned.
The Yamaha is mine since I have owned since new and the Suzuki I will be using is the first one I had, which I owned from new as well. My neighbor currently owns it so I know the interim history.

Here is my simple plan do just give folks some ideas and answer some questions. I am not trying to start a flame war, so please I would like to avoid that. I just happen to have owned both and ridden both on a track(soon).

I am not a pro rider by any means, but an intermediate.

Here is my plan for the comparison, which will be limited in scope, cash and instrumented results, i.e I am not dynoing the bikes. But I will stopwatch a few simple tests.

1. Photo the bikes from all sides, next to each other.
2. List of mods done to each bike.
3. Weight from two different types of scales on each bike.
4. Gas mileage
5. 0-60 time
6. My impession on a street ride.
7. My track day impression at Adams, dirt section included. Probably timed and me as the control rider.
8. A list of what I feel in my opinion only, what are the pro's and con's of each machine relative only to the other.
9. Cost of ownership and modifications.

This will be a big project for me while I am working on getting my health better. If you can think of something SIMPLE and valuable to this comparison, please let me know. Thank you.

My plan is to have nice complete results posted here within 2.5 weeks. With a little searching on here, you can see what I have done already, but the plan is now to do something a little more direct and hands on.

Besides, you will probably get something really good outta SMR anyways. :thumbup:

See less See more
#159 ·
So I just read this whole thread and it seems that the power diff of the 2 bikes is allmost comparable even with the big cc diff .I am shopping for one of these 2 bikes .I currently have a converted 06 xt 225 with a fmf powercore ,re-jetted , air box opened up with uni filter .To me after riding street bikes all my life it seems peppy but just dam slow .Not much gear to row through and it steams out fast .I know these are different motors/bikes but I was trying to get a good comparison to the speed of my xt .I just like to feel a little pull not expecting the world but just dont wanna be dissapointed with the speed factor and outa turn throttle pulls .So I like the looks of the yami and allways a yami guy but is it worth the extra ccs of the drz,About me im about 6 ft but slim at about only 165 so im not very heavy .Can anybody honestly answer that the yami's smaller motor is that closley comparable to the suzuki ..Thanks so much in advance !!!!!! Steve Ps I have test ridden many motards but allways bigger cc bikes last test ride was my pals husky 610 never rode the wr or drz ..

#160 ·
Look man, I'm not here to sell you on either, here's the facts. the Yami is way lighter and it feels like it. It just feels like a lot lighter of a bike. However the torque is very much lacking even as compared to my stock Drz. I dont really care what people say, my butt knows best. the EFI is pretty sweet but definatly not something to get your panties in a knot about. So to sum it up. Both excelent bikes, but the Drz is easier to mod and has a bigger aftermarket base as of right now. WR is more numble but lacks torque. The WR will probably hold its value a little better too if your thinking of buying new. But all that being said if I was to buy one of the two I would go Drz again instead of the Yami.

#161 ·
Thanks for the honest answer!I kinda figured that the tq of the larger cc had to give a better seat feel ....There would be no way that it shouldnt .I just dont wanna be dissapointed in the small cc and take a big loss after buying new .I also think that the larger cc would come up quite a bit easier on the front wheel haha .Also bigger aftermarket is a big point .I just didnt wanna spend big$$ on a big cc moto so its between these 2 ..Thanks again

#164 ·
Thanks for the honest answer!I kinda figured that the tq of the larger cc had to give a better seat feel ....There would be no way that it shouldnt .I just dont wanna be dissapointed in the small cc and take a big loss after buying new .
My friend with a Wr said that after riding about 1000 miles he wished he had the power of a Drz, take it or leave it. If you want to buy a Drz new i dont recomend it. Go buy a late model one with low miles and some mods ex. 3x3 jet and an exhaust and youll save A lot of money

#162 ·
Hello, I am new here and really interested in getting the new Yamaha. My question and I read the whole topic, but nothing was said about long distance riding. I am looking to see if I go from California to Washington on one. The DRZ is way to tall for me. I am 5'6" and can't reach the ground. I figure the Yamaha might be a better fit for me with at least one foot on the ground. I love the ideal of having a smaller CC bike, I am not looking to go over 85 mph anyways. Thanks for any info and great write up BTW.

#163 ·
Well it all depends on what kind of long range you want to do. If you want to hop on the highway I think the Drz is a little better, I did about 600 miles in 3 days about 400 of them were highway. It wasnt super comfortable but still doable. I cant imagine that the Wr would be great considering the power, just not enough go to feel comfortable on the highway that long, even though it does have a 6th gear witch is awesome. But you have to keep in mind that you can gear down a Wr witch is another viable option to increase ridability where as in 5th gear on the Drz it feels like it needs another gear. But for the drz i found 73mph is about the perfect crusing speed not revved out and still has some get up and go. As for you being 5'6'' the bikes are about the same hight but with the Drz you have the option of getting a aftermarket seat witch will drop the seat hight by an inch or so. That may be just enough for you to get your toes on the ground. As far as a aftermarket seat for the Wr i dont think they make any,(someone chime in) im shure it wouldnt be that hard to chop some of the seat foam out and make your self a stepper seat that is a bit lower. Reguardless both are awesome bikes buy what you think suits your needs and ride the piss out of it!:thumbup:

#165 ·
What my plan was for next summer was to ride up the coast on Hwy 1 up to Washington from California. I figure a couple of day to ride and stop at friends on the way up. Yeah if I want a DRZ I would buy used for sure, thanks for that. I just really like a small CC bike for some reason but if it's going to be to much of a hassle I rather get a DRZ. I ride a Honda Ruckus now for fun and it's only a 50cc bike. I ride with friends and it's a hobby. It cruises at 50 mph on flats and 30 mph up hill. It's all modded but loads of fun. So the small CC's don't scare me. Just looking for other peoples thoughts always helps.

#166 ·
I commute on the WRR and do 70-75 without issue and have pulled up to 80 or so when needing to lane change without issue. This is in 6th gear which I could probably be in 5th and higher RPMs without hitting rev limiter. These are GPS speeds btw since the speedo's on bikes are notoriously optimistic.

The only way I would say the DRZ could be better on freeway is if its seat was better and if it's more stable in the wind/buffeting. Either way you are essentially riding a brick, but the lighter WRR can feel more fidgety but its not out of control.

I have a 46 T rear sprocket on and feel it made the bike better in every way, first mod i would recommend to anyone buying a WRR/X.

My throttle wrist is the only issue I have with riding the bike on the freeway really right now. It gets tired, and I've heard after 100 miles or so the seat can be uncomfortable. I am a tall but lighter rider tho so what works for me may not for you (155lbs before gear)

FYI the biggest mistake people make is trying to ride the WRR/X like a thumper. They short shift it and lug the engine which is where its lack of torque shows. However the engine is a slice off an r1 motor and loves reves, rev it like you stole it and the bike is dramatically different. Ride it like a 125 2 stroke and the bike will definitely hang.

#167 ·
Thanks for the info. Yeah I am going to go to the dealer and test fit a WRX and go from there. I did sit on a new DRZ and I could not get even a tip toe on the ground. My inseam is only 29" so it's makes it hard to find the right fit. I just love the Supermoto look. The other bike I was looking at is a Buell X9 but I rather stay with a Japanese bike. More reliable and more parts and service centers.

#169 ·
Hey,
My wife is 5'4" 115lbs and she rides a WRX just fine. We lowered the suspension (just adjustments in the triples and rear shock) set the sag for her weight, and made the seat a step seat. Basically no cost!!!
It is awesome for her height and she is super comfortable at the stop lights and signs.

There is also a lowering link option for the WRX as well.

Good luck with your purchase decision

#170 ·
Oh ok, thanks I did not know there was a lowering link.

Yeah I heard that alot about the Buell's. I just love the way they look, but having a Harley motor really scares me for reliability wise. Plus I always owned a Yamaha or Honda anyways. I think I buy the WRX and do a step seat, I think it should be low enough. Going this weekend to see one in person.

#172 ·
I have read the whole thread, and am interested in buying a new bike. I am leaning towards the DRZ because of my size. I am 6' and 225lbs., so I think the DRZ would be a better bike for me. I just dont wanna get the 250, and it just not have enough bottom end torque, with me on it. Not looking for a fast bike, since I have a GSXR 1000 for that, but something I can have fun on around town. Any suggestions from you guys?

#173 ·
Well i grew out of my Drz and got a 625smc i ended up making money after i sold my drz and bought a smc thats what i would and did do.

#174 ·
Just got back from a quick test ride on the WR250X. I've test ridden DRZ400S's, though not SMs. So lower geared and quirkier street tires.

I should be buying the WR this afternoon. This is partly motivated by availability and partly motivated by the bike itself.

For living on them, the bikes are much more similar than different. For street riding, the power really didn't feel that different to me. Sure the power is up higher in the revs on the Yamaha, but it's also easier to ride it there. Both would feel absolutely, completely gutless at a regular track day. The Yamaha definitely has less vibes, although I don't like how the turn signals shake, so I'll probably install Zetas.

#176 ·
If you want more power, i would definately suggest looking into the 690smc, smr 510, sxv 450/550... etc. However when it comes to learning how to ride SM, i think you would be happy with either the drz or wrx. My friend rides a drz sm, i ride a wr250x with a q4 + powerbomb and he cant pull on me despite the advantage of cc.. how ever he is stock power wise... Anyways good luck! :D

#178 ·
Isn't comparing 625 kind to a WRX kind of like saying a CBR1000 will outrun a CBR600?

Let's see $6000 MSRP v. $9000 MSRP. 250 cc v. 625 cc. 25 hp v. 50hp. Less vibes v. more vibes. KTM says 3 hours of maintenance for every 3000 miles of riding.

Comparing a 250 to a 625 is kind of like walking into a dealership and saying, I want a sportbike but not knowing if you want a 600 or a 1000.

If you think a GSXR1000 is completely overkill on the street and a little overkill on the track, get a test ride on the WRX. If you think it's just right on the street, don't bother with either the 250 or the 400. You'll be disappointed.

#179 ·
Easy there bud i just told him what I did, I got bored with drz power so i got a 625. But I paid less then your Wrx! for me it didnt make sence to dump 1k in my drz to get it where I wanted it power wise, when I could have just sold it and bought at ktm for less. And about the vibes of the 625, there not that bad at all at first its a little wierd but i ride mine every day and have taken it on 300+highway days and been less tingly then on my drz.

#181 ·
The best way to get more performance out of WRX would be to buy a KTM, like you did. :D That's because the bikes are so different.

UL ~ I weigh 175 + gear and I'm coming off a ZX6R. I ride intermediate track days, and I've ridden through 26 states on the 6R (not trailered, ridden) by way of experience. Compared to 95 rwhp on a 440 lb fuelly fueld bike, the DRZ and WRX really are more similar than different. The KTM is an entirely different (higher) tier of motorcycle, and I understand why B_palmer upgraded. If you think you might be bored with the acceleration of either bike, then you should be budgeting for a faster/higher performance bike.

In day to day riding without ringing out the bike, the WRX will give up just a little ground to the DRZ. For equal riders, it will lose every race from a redlight (and both should see a KTM's taillight). For my local riding on little, rural country back roads, sight lines and rider ability and confidence on dirty roads are the limiting factor, not hp. These are fun bikes to run roads with 15 - 30 mph yellow corner speed limit signs, especially when those roads are rough. In just two days of ownership, I'm faster on this bike on little 1.5 lane patched chip seal roads because I can get more traction from the longer travel suspension and move the bike around so easily. If you keep the revs up, the WRX is happiest around 40 mph and the DRZ probably around 45 mph (IMHO and YMMV). I just go find tighter corners or rougher roads. :) These bikes will give up all kinds of ground on corners posted at 45 or 60 mph to "real" sportbikes.

I agree that the 400 is the better bike to start with on paper, but you should try to test ride both. I did. I would never have bought a 250 without a test ride. I also found the Yamaha dealer to be more professional and ready to deal than either the Suzuki dealer or several private sellers with DRZs. My other two bikes I bought used with no problems, but I couldn't believe how flaky the DRZ seller I attempted to deal with was. For instance, I told him I was 80 miles away from him, but my family had an appointment just 5 miles away late in the week at 9:30 am. I could meet him at 9 or at 11. I tried for 2 days to set a meeting place and time. I finally get an e-mail the morning of the appointment and he says, well, I was thinking after lunch, what time is best?

#180 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, and I am still unsure. What would one of the bigger bikes set me back, if I wanted one new? I can throw my GSXR 1000 around pretty good, and am a fairly big guy. I just want something fun, and I know there is not going to be gobs of power, but that is not what I am looking for.

I weigh in at 225lbs, and I am 6ft tall. I dont think I would go for the 250, but the 400 seems like a good bike to start with. What do you guys think? Do you still think I should go with something bigger, and just spend the money. I want the bike to be pretty reliable, and able to get out on the road as much as I want, and stunt it. Maybe even take it for a track day, every now and then.

#187 ·
I weigh in at 225lbs, and I am 6ft tall. I dont think I would go for the 250, but the 400 seems like a good bike to start with. What do you guys think? Do you still think I should go with something bigger, and just spend the money. I want the bike to be pretty reliable, and able to get out on the road as much as I want, and stunt it. Maybe even take it for a track day, every now and then.
Someone posted in a thread that the DRZ400SM is becoming the new CBR. You can't go wrong buying a DRZ. They are good value for a balanced package and you can make em go as fast as you want by adding mods - (you should always do the exhaust - no brainer).

I traded my DRZ in on a 690SM but I wish I still had a DRZ too so I could ride the shiz out of it. I'd like to see if my riding has improved by riding the 'slower' bike faster.

#182 ·
Thanks for the information 1moreroad, and I will take that into consideration when I go look at them in a few days. The same dealership sales both bikes, and I know a few guys there. I have bought a few bikes from them, and I look forward to getting a new one. Thanks again, and good luck with the bikes you guys have.

#183 ·
i have only ridden a drz once for about 30 miles, i liked it i recently test drove a wrx and found that it is a by far more funnier bike for me. I bought a wrx about a month and a half ago and it is the funniest bike i have ever bought.

#185 ·
I've only got about two weeks with the WRX but if you are looking for speed then you are looking at the wrong bike. If you are looking for a bike that you can flog, flick and generally ride like a retard then it might be for you.:D

I to contemplated the DRZ since it has a little more juice on tap out of the box but decided on the WRX because of its F.I. and its fit and finish. The DRZ is due for an update IMHO and I would bet Suzuki will soon undertake that adventure once it starts realizing the little WRX is cutting into its sales.

I can say so far no regrets on the WRX, its a fun ride and I'm coming from a laundry list of different bikes most recently a HyperMotard and a 1098. Its all about what you are looking to accomplish when riding.

#186 ·
I'm 6'6", 230lbs, and the WRX is one of the best bikes I've owned... I came from an 03' GSXR 1k. Done track days and ridden sportbikes for a number of years. I sold my tracker when I moved because I didn't want to ship it, and needed an excuse to get a tard.. Initially, it felt a little underpowered, as you would expect, for someone my size.
FMF Q4/Powerbomb and a powercommander, and this thing rips! You can dive into corners at ridiculous speeds, and late brake...You can flick it around. Stoppies for days. Wheelies take a little muscle, but it's stable as hell.. Well worth it. Oh yeah, and 70+mpg isn't too shabby. I've been riding 150 miles plus each day off for the last two weeks, and it's fairly comfy. Handles mountain roads and fire roads here in the rockies with ease!

I couldn't speak higher of the WRx. I'll probably end up with another sportbike this winter, but I will NOT be selling the WRX.

#188 ·
How far offroad

I'm new to riding. I currently ride my girlfriends XT225. I was considering the WRX and WRR. How far off road will the X take me with those slick tires?

I'm in Florida and we have that soft sand down here. Could I make it through hard dirt ok? I"m not looking to blast through the woods, just cruise to remote areas and general tooling around.

I think I would typically spend more time on the pavement so I'm leaning toward the X but if it offers zero off road capabilities then I may have to go with the R.

Thanks

#189 ·
I'm new to riding. I currently ride my girlfriends XT225. I was considering the WRX and WRR. How far off road will the X take me with those slick tires?

I'm in Florida and we have that soft sand down here. Could I make it through hard dirt ok? I"m not looking to blast through the woods, just cruise to remote areas and general tooling around.

I think I would typically spend more time on the pavement so I'm leaning toward the X but if it offers zero off road capabilities then I may have to go with the R.

Thanks
Where in Florida are you? I have the WR250X and it is not completly incapable off road, you just need to remember its not a dirt bike. With som Avon Ditanzias Im sure it would be a blast down some hard dirt and clay roads. Just the other day I was in some sugar sand, soft as hell and there wasnt a lot of riding, more me paddling with my feet to try and stay upright. The stock tires are going to be sketch in the dirt but its not bad.

#191 ·
1st off just want to say hey , im new here and appreciate any imput. im a big guy tippin the scales at 250+ and am interested in a commuter that i could play with on the weekends. could either of these bikes pull my big behind around town without any problems?
thanx
chris

#192 ·
Guys, I'm torn straight down the center. DRZ or WRX? My three general requirements for a bike are high mpg, versatility (on/off road), and relatively low price. I did some calculations based on fuel economy and the difference between the two bikes in terms of dollars per mile is less than a penny.

But the WRX requires premium, fuel. This is not really an issue, but if gas supply hits a real crunch, I have a feeling that higher octane fuels will be scarcest of all. That said, I don't want to be putting lower octane fuel in a high compression bike this close to sea level. In this respect, the DRZ would be more reliable in a faltering economy.

Also, this is my first bike EVER. And the stability and weight of the WRX are very appealing to me. Like I said, I'm torn and could go either way.

I've talked the local dealer down to $5500 on their 08 WRX, so price isn't even an issue between the two bikes anymore.

What are your opinions, especially regarding fuel economy and the availability of higher octanes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.